Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th September 2008, 22:43   #16
BHPian

How much is the street price for M45? Anyone knows a good place in chennai to buy this?
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 21:55   #17
BHPian

i think the dunlop geocruiser is enough for the unicorn. i am using it in my pulsar 150. it does not affect the performance or the mileage much and looks quite good. from my experience it is better than the zapper series tyres. and the grip is awesome like any dunlop product
pulsarmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:15   #18
BHPian

Default Tyre upgrade for my Uni

Hello,
I have a Honda Unicorn which is about a year old. The bike has excellent ride and handling but the tyres are not that good. They are MRF Zigma and the size is 100/90-18 for the rear and 2.75 x 18 for the front. The dry grip is very good but they suck on wet roads and sandy corners.

I want to upgrade them to better brand, what are my options? Michelin, Goodyear? Any idea of their cost?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not Zigma but Zapper! Zigma is for the cars only.

Michelin might be available but highly unlikely. Goodyear is not an option at all! In Michelin, go for 3.25x18 for the rear and 2.75x18 for the front.

Availability is a HUUGE issue though.

Michelin has a tie up now with TVS tyres(ugh! ) and soon you will see TVS-Michelin branded tyres. Because of this, Michelin stopped importing two wheeler tyres.

Cost will be abt 3.4k for both tyres and tubes. Beware of fakes though!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 18:04   #20
BHPian

I suggest an MRF Zapper-Y 130-80 if you are interested in improving the look of the back end. I am running it on my Karizma for the past 3k KMs with no ill effects. There is a big broohaha about going with an oversized tire - people will warn you about low mileage, lower top end, yadda yadda. I haven't noticed any of that yet.

Paid 1700 for the tire in Chennai, I am sure it's available in Hyderabad also.
Attached Thumbnails
Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?-img_0001.jpg  

Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?-img_0003.jpg  

xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 19:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

130/80 is too fat for a Unicorn. It originally came with smaller tyres. Then upgraded to 100/90-18. I highly doubnt 130 will fit.

And it is proof. A very fat tyre WILL reduce your mileage and performance. It is very good forr you that you didnt notice too much and are just enjoying your bike without getting too analytical. But it's a fact.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:01   #22
BHPian

See if you can get Zapper Q 110/90 x 18 its a rare piece not a fast moving one,its one of the best rubbers you get today direct mrf dealer might help you getting one.
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 20:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Cost will be abt 3.4k for both tyres and tubes. Beware of fakes though!
So you get fakes in tyres too?? Whats the solution? Buying from authorised dealers? I'v seen authorised dealers for some brands like TVS... but what about others? Do they have authorised dealers for Dunlop, etc?

It seems Dunlop does not even have a website for India!!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 20:26   #24
BHPian

Yes, it is the zapper which I have and you are all suggesting a zapper again which have the same tread pattern. How will this help me?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 20:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
So you get fakes in tyres too?? Whats the solution? Buying from authorised dealers? I'v seen authorised dealers for some brands like TVS... but what about others? Do they have authorised dealers for Dunlop, etc?

It seems Dunlop does not even have a website for India!!
Dunlop dont even make tyres anymore! That is why. Whatever dunlops you get in India are grey market stuff imported from Thailand, Japan, Malaysia, etc. So obviously there cannot be an authorised dealer for Dunlop. TVS is a proper manufacturer. They dont have the market share like CEAT or MRF, but they are decent tyres. They have authorised dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Yes, it is the zapper which I have and you are all suggesting a zapper again which have the same tread pattern. How will this help me?
Well, given the market conditions, you dont have much of a choice unless you want to go for *gasp* Ceat!
Old 5th March 2009, 21:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Dude I'm sorry but you need to get your angles right. You cannot lean the bike at a 100 degrees since when you are completely upright on the road, you are perpendicular to it, i.e. a 90 degree angle. So your lean angle can only range from 1 to 89 degrees. A ~60 degree lean angle would look something like this:

In the real world, it is very difficult to get a lean angle greater than 60 degree (which is actually lesser; since as the numeric value of the lean angle reduces, you are close to getting parallel to the surface) MotoGP riders like John Hopkins above are able to manage ~55-60 Degrees, with those massive slicks and insane ground clearance.

Regardless of the fact if you to switch to Zma alloys or not, the best combination for the Unicorn is a 2.75X18 Zapper/Cear Secura Zoom in the front, with a 100/90-18 tyre at the back. Brandwise rear Dunlop Geo-Cruiser is the best for all round performance, rain and dry. The Pirelli is good on dry surfaces but hopeless in the wet and mud because there is no center groove. Don't go further than 100/90-18 as you will sacrifice your other performance/non performance parameters like top whack, accelaration, FE AND Handling. The power that a Unicorn develops does not warrant an upsize after 100/90 as the chassis is brilliant and can easily cope with all your cornering requirements.

Hope this helps and is not very confusing...

when i meant 100 deg angle i meant the road man not the bike,

now i am currently running 120/80-R18 Zapper Q from Mrf!

the grip and braking is great on a straight line but some how not so much on the bends.

well i got a max of 4K kms to run before i change it off.

my next best bet for this bike is 90/90-R18 MRF Zapper - Q as of now unless some thing better comes up in 18" range.

its that tyre because it will spread well on my Zma alloys giving me the best grip and braking the tyre actually can. Guess what the damn thing is PRICED AT 1500 WHILE THE 120/80-R18 STILL COSTS ME 1700 MAN such a let down.

its ok any way, my personal recommendation is this tyre after all this time of watching and living with them.

and same stock for the front as of now.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 01:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I suggest an MRF Zapper-Y 130-80 if you are interested in improving the look of the back end. I am running it on my Karizma for the past 3k KMs with no ill effects. There is a big broohaha about going with an oversized tire - people will warn you about low mileage, lower top end, yadda yadda. I haven't noticed any of that yet.

Paid 1700 for the tire in Chennai, I am sure it's available in Hyderabad also.

dude i am running 120/80-R18 zapper Q on my unicorn on Zma alloys well all that you said can be made true IF and ONLY IF you are willing to sacrifice on the road GRIP fill that tyre with 43PSi and the road contact path would totally go DOWN and you will still fell like a stock this NOT ADVISED and is purely for the looks sake helps NO WAY for performance.

if okay with all the pros and cons go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
130/80 is too fat for a Unicorn. It originally came with smaller tyres. Then upgraded to 100/90-18. I highly doubnt 130 will fit.

And it is proof. A very fat tyre WILL reduce your mileage and performance. It is very good forr you that you didnt notice too much and are just enjoying your bike without getting too analytical. But it's a fact.
well true mate i having used a 120/80-R18 zapper Q, i myself am down sizing to 90/90-R18 zapper Q for performance. Thats the best tyre i say in the 18inch size as of now i mean it has the right balance of weight, will spread on Zma alloys and ensures over all performance. this is just from my experience and from what i have learned from experts.

rest is up to you do as you will.
Old 6th March 2009, 01:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

well i think people would believe me better and wise up with a little proof.

so here is what i have from what i have suffered.

the list,
1.Clutch plates
2.steel rings
3.clutch plates and ring mounter Set
4.Front and rear sprocker
5.chain.
6.clutch cable
7.springs

all in all all this cost me 1800 for i replaced the sprocket set from other make.
the clutch plates, rings, and mount are Stock they alone cost me 1000 bucks the rest 800.

all this goes to the FAT rear tyre and shorter handle bar.

here are a few pics to show you the wear and tear from running this tyre for just 7000 Kms!!!

i have circled the rounded worn out parts in the pics take a close look to see amount of the wear and tear.

after all this i would advice people to stick to 90/90-R18 or max 100/90-R18
sizes, if ones will to sacrifice more for looks go ahead but you will need to live with this kind of wear and tear.
Attached Thumbnails
Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?-dsc01961.jpg  

Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?-dsc01962.jpg  

Old 1st October 2009, 12:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Smile Unicorn Tyre choice dilemma

Fellow BHP-ians, I am looking for a replacement for the front tyre of my Unicorn ( currently I am using a M45 ) and I went to Sai Iyengar to check which one to buy. They showed me M35 and M62 gazelle, and told me that M45 is not in ready stock - I am really happy with M45, but now I am in a dilemma - Among these three which is the most suited front tyre?
My priorities are better handling and good cornering speeds.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

--xh--
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 14:18   #30
BHPian

I think u should stick on to M45 only. As ur requirement better handling and good cornering speeds are taken care in M45 tyres for the front.
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote