Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th February 2015, 15:56   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Are the alloys from the current gen Unicorn a direct fit or is it only the CBZ's ?

The chain does not rub against the chain guard or the swing arm and the wheel as such rotates freely. My gut feel is that the chain tightening has not been done the right way. Rode it to office on the highway. Bike feels more stable and planted now. Think of taking it to the HASS if the chain juddering issue persists for an expert opinion.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by getting the rear axle bolt realigned? Is it something I can do myself?
In the sense rear sprocket should be aligned correctly vis-a-vis the front sprocket so it moves freely and doesn't touch the swingarm/chain guard.

Do go to a competent bike mechanic and ask him to re-tighten it.

EDIT: The current CBZ has some silly looking alloys. Go for the CB Unicorn ones.

Last edited by a4anurag : 24th February 2015 at 16:06.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 07:50   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I loved the looks post the makeover of my Unicorn, specially the red and black combo.

Alloys were from a CBZ Xtreme and I paid 3500 for the pair.

No difference in performance or FE figures. Just a boost in looks department.
AFAIK, CBZ Xtreme/Unicorn with rear drums will be a fit.
When Unicorn was launched with alloy wheels, I did enquire the Honda service guys and they quoted a whopping 8k for the pair.
Let me check with both Honda and Hero now on the direct fitment and price.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 07:57   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
When Unicorn was launched with alloy wheels, I did enquire the Honda service guys and they quoted a whopping 8k for the pair.
8K is too much IMO.

After a while I realised that CB Unicorn comes with a 6-spoke alloy whereas I had 5-Spoke one from CBZ Xtreme (~Model = 2008-2009). The 5-spoke suits better on the Unicorn. It'll be good if you can find a old CBZ Xtreme rather than the current running variant.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the sense rear sprocket should be aligned correctly vis-a-vis the front sprocket so it moves freely and doesn't touch the swingarm/chain guard.

Do go to a competent bike mechanic and ask him to re-tighten it.

EDIT: The current CBZ has some silly looking alloys. Go for the CB Unicorn ones.
Got the chain adjusted by the Honda A.S.S. Bike feels better but still some minor vibration/noise persists. Want to clock some more kms and take a call on what needs to be done.

Meanwhile, while I was waiting at the service center for the bike to be ready, I observed a customer enquiring about the longevity of the chain sprocket. The SA replied that 13k is the max one can expect out of it and anything beyond that would be purely attributed to decent riding manners. Question that popped up in my mind is that my bike is at 13.9k km today and whether it is due for a chain sprocket change which is causing the noise. I haven't yet replaced the stock ones and would be helpful if I get to know the average life span of a chain sprocket set in the Unicorn. Thanks again.

Another problem that needs to be addressed is the oil seal replacement for the left front shocker. I was quoted 500 INR for the same (oil seal - 300 + oil and labor -200). Is this a reasonable rate as I find it to be on the higher side.

Last edited by rr_zen : 25th February 2015 at 11:40.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't yet replaced the stock ones and would be helpful if I get to know the average life span of a chain sprocket set in the Unicorn. Thanks again.

Another problem that needs to be addressed is the oil seal replacement for the left front shocker. I was quoted 500 INR for the same (oil seal - 300 + oil and labor -200). Is this a reasonable rate as I find it to be on the higher side.
I used to get average 15K from a set of chain-sprocket, but I think it will vary from rider to rider. Check the health of chain and sprocket teeth (see if the sprocket teeth have uneven wear or chipping) and see how much it is left to adjust the chain - if there is uneven wear on the teeth or there is not much left to adjust the chain, get it changed. I hope you do lube your chain periodically.

Regular lubing and adjusting will help you get good chain life.

PS: If you are changing the chain-sprocket set, try sourcing Rolon brand chain and sprocket set. They are good.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 12:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I used to get average 15K from a set of chain-sprocket, but I think it will vary from rider to rider. Check the health of chain and sprocket teeth (see if the sprocket teeth have uneven wear or chipping) and see how much it is left to adjust the chain - if there is uneven wear on the teeth or there is not much left to adjust the chain, get it changed. I hope you do lube your chain periodically.

Regular lubing and adjusting will help you get good chain life.

PS: If you are changing the chain-sprocket set, try sourcing Rolon brand chain and sprocket set. They are good.

--Anoop
Sure will do. I used to go in for Diamond brand for my Samurai those days. What is the OE on Unicorn ? I am a very sedate rider and treat my bike with due respect. The chain is lubricated using synthetic oil that I use for the car. Generally there is some amount left in the can after replenishment for the car.
Old 25th February 2015, 15:22   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got the chain adjusted by the Honda A.S.S. Bike feels better but still some minor vibration/noise persists. Want to clock some more kms and take a call on what needs to be done.

Get all (Front sprocket, chain and rear sprocket) changed at a time. Though it'll cost you more $$$ but it is good for the bike and you.

Regarding the front fork oil seal, get it done at an FNG rather than visiting Honda for it. Why not changed both the oil seal's? Is this the first time that this change is happening? If yes, do change both as the rubber would have become hard due to wear and tear + detrimental environmental factors.
Old 25th February 2015, 17:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get all (Front sprocket, chain and rear sprocket) changed at a time. Though it'll cost you more $$$ but it is good for the bike and you.

Regarding the front fork oil seal, get it done at an FNG rather than visiting Honda for it. Why not changed both the oil seal's? Is this the first time that this change is happening? If yes, do change both as the rubber would have become hard due to wear and tear + detrimental environmental factors.
Yeah am aware of the benefits of changing all 3 at the same time and have done so with my earlier bikes as well. Will do the same for the Unicorn as well. Just wondering if I should postpone it to a later date considering its not a pressing need at the moment.

On the fork oil seal, I would need to source it first and then go to the FNG. Let me see what best I can do. Yes, this is the first time the change is happening. Thanks.
Old 25th February 2015, 17:27   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah am aware of the benefits of changing all 3 at the same time and have done so with my earlier bikes as well. Will do the same for the Unicorn as well. Just wondering if I should postpone it to a later date considering its not a pressing need at the moment.

On the fork oil seal, I would need to source it first and then go to the FNG. Let me see what best I can do. Yes, this is the first time the change is happening. Thanks.
The tyres are new with not much running giving to it to even bed-in. So first clock a 500 kms and see if the grinding sound comes from the chain. If it does then get the chain + sprockets changed.

Don't go to HASS for any work unless it is major!
Old 4th March 2015, 13:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyres are new with not much running giving to it to even bed-in. So first clock a 500 kms and see if the grinding sound comes from the chain. If it does then get the chain + sprockets changed.

Don't go to HASS for any work unless it is major!
Have done about 200 km on the new tyres and the noise seems to be settling down albeit I can feel the judder at times esp at low speeds and while decelerating. Will take a call on the chain sprocket set change maybe later not now. But I guess will have to get the oil seal of the front shocker replaced ASAP.