Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th January 2008, 00:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Isnt this the model that has some issues ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
A certain batch/lot was recalled for some issues. Doesn't mean that the model has issues.
My mistake; was supposed to be "Isnt this the model that HAD some issues"
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 01:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
what the "first gen" xcd has done is nothing compared to what the next one will do! seen the new 4-valve xcd at the auto show? its awesome.

OMG!!! Another Bajaj bike with the same rear! Plz observe this pic carefully. Looks like its got a tacho!
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 05:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am a little skeptical. 100+ kmpl has been claimed before by other manufacturers with the real result coming nowhere close to that figure. Lets wait and watch I guess. Bajaj seems to have "invented" swirl now. Wow. What next, a patent on the otto cycle?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 23:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
OMG!!! Another Bajaj bike with the same rear! Plz observe this pic carefully. Looks like its got a tacho!
not exactly the same. its got a cool tail lamp, a beaut of a rear number plate bracket, a super looking short silencer and a neat rear mudguard, a console thats ultra modern.

bajaj always keeps a step ahead of the competetion. little wonder that they are doing as well as they are.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 23:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Whats the real world FE of this bike. Can it beat the Splendor.

A friend of mine is getting between 70- 75 kmpl. Not sure about the Splendour though.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 00:00   #21

I am owning splendor. I am getting 52 kpl. All along I was thinking it gives good mileage. I noted the reading of odometer when it reached reserve. Consistently when the mileage was not improving, I got it tuned. Changed the petrol bunk which is reliable. Checked for all leakages. Stopped parking in sun rays to avoid evaporation losses. Checked the tyre pressures to 30 psi. At present the speedometer reading is 50,000 kms. I do not understand why I am getting such low mileage. Any one can throw light, how to improve mileage.
RLNarayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 01:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
A friend of mine is getting between 70- 75 kmpl. Not sure about the Splendour though.
Thats a very good average your friend is getting from his bike...though i am doubtful about getting those figures in Pune's traffic conditions. Here in Pune people owning the Splendor say, they get about 65 kmpl.
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 14:43   #23
BHPian

Question Engine overhaul or tyre change or both?

Hi,

I have a Bajaj XCD 125 (bought in 2007) and has run about 35K Kms. I always had a couple of issues with it (since the purchase):
  • The engines shuts off when idle for a few seconds. I initially observed it during rain and took a lot of time to start again. After numerous services, now, it shuts off when I go through a big bump or on a bumpy road for a small distance or sometimes for no reason. I have to keep rising the accelerator to keep it awake. I have got it serviced from various people but no one actually was able to figure out the reason... nevertheless, I still see that happening. Nowadays, I am not using it often, so it does not harm me much.
  • Clutch is another thing that troubled me for long. I had replaced the clutch plates twice in the first one year and that too, the dealer said it is my bad driving, so I couldn't question that since I just learnt bike driving then. Still, every time I go to a Bajaj Dealer, after that, they keep saying that the clutch plates need to be replaced. I stopped doing it after a while and don't seem to have much of an issue.
  • Another issue is with the tyres. At higher speeds (~55+), the bike shakes when I apply brakes and mostly, it skids a tiny bit... if the speeds are higher, the skid is more evident. Of late, there are a lot of punctures on the tyre. so, the ride is all the more difficult.
So, here are my set of questions:
  1. Will an engine overhaul help solve this engine shut off issue? After how many years/KMS is usually an engine overhaul due? Is it required at all?
  2. Will tyre change be a good decision now? What is the life of a tyre?
  3. What is the best tyre that suits this bike and what is the ideal price?
  4. Is there a good mechanic I can go to around manikonda/hitech city/gachibowli/tolichowki areas to get these done?
Thanks in advance for help.
Regards,
Sri Harsha.
bhappyharsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 15:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Engine overhaul or tyre change or both?

Hi @bhappyharsha

I do not think this (engines shuts off when idle for few seconds) is a case of of engine overhaul. This could simply be rpm issue &/or clogged carburetor. How much is the engine oil left in your bike, & consumption of the same?

Re the bad clutch, yes it should be changed if it is causing you problem (s). I guess the one for XCD can be procured for Rs.500-750 in local market, which should last fairly well if you have learnt the art if riding, & no longer ride the clutch.

Re the tyres, yes it is time to change your tyre. I would recommend fatter tyres from Ceat or MRF (for sake of budget).

However, most important aspect of your bike maintenance is mechanic, & it is high time you change to FNG for reliable service, & make sure you change engine oil this time, & not just top it up.

Best of Luck
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 15:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @bhappyharsha

I do not think this (engines shuts off when idle for few seconds) is a case of of engine overhaul. This could simply be rpm issue &/or clogged carburetor. How much is the engine oil left in your bike, & consumption of the same?

Re the bad clutch, yes it should be changed if it is causing you problem (s). I guess the one for XCD can be procured for Rs.500-750 in local market, which should last fairly well if you have learnt the art if riding, & no longer ride the clutch.

Re the tyres, yes it is time to change your tyre. I would recommend fatter tyres from Ceat or MRF (for sake of budget).

However, most important aspect of your bike maintenance is mechanic, & it is high time you change to FNG for reliable service, & make sure you change engine oil this time, & not just top it up.

Best of Luck

Hi! Thanks for your inputs but what is FNG? and do you know what could be the cost of a CEAT or MRF tyre?

Regards,
Sri Harsha.
Old 27th November 2013, 15:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Hi! Thanks for your inputs but what is FNG? and do you know what could be the cost of a CEAT or MRF tyre?

Regards,
Sri Harsha.
FNG ~ Friendly Neighbourhood Garage

Ceat & MRF should cost you around Rs4-5k for both tyres. You can also refer to Motorcycle Tyres thread in TBHP for indicative costs & other details.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 16:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
FNG ~ Friendly Neighbourhood Garage

Ceat & MRF should cost you around Rs4-5k for both tyres. You can also refer to Motorcycle Tyres thread in TBHP for indicative costs & other details.
I am looking at the thread. Thanks for the information. However, can you tell me when should I think of Engine overhaul and what are the symptoms I am looking for?
Old 27th November 2013, 19:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Will an engine overhaul help solve this engine shut off issue? After how many years/KMS is usually an engine overhaul due? Is it required at all?[*]Will tyre change be a good decision now? What is the life of a tyre?[*]What is the best tyre that suits this bike and what is the ideal price?[*]Is there a good mechanic I can go to around manikonda/hitech city/gachibowli/tolichowki areas to get these done?[/list]Thanks in advance for help.
Regards,
Sri Harsha.
Hi Harsha,

Bajaj bikes are prone to collect water in the fuel tank over the years. It settles down at the bottom of the fuel tank but when you go over a bump, it might mingle and enter the carburetor. This water also corrodes the tank since it remains unnoticed. Since your bike is few years old, go to a good mechanic and ask him to do the following:

1) Drain/wash the fuel tank (ensure that you are almost out of fuel when you reach the mechanic. Drain the old fuel and pour fresh petrol taken in a bottle after washing the tank

2) Clean the carburetor, air filter(replace if old and very dirty). These can be cleaned with your old drained petrol.

3) Tune your bike for RPM around .9-1k when cold.

The above should solve your problem. If maintained and ridden properly, an engine can easily run 70-80k kms without any overhauling.

Regarding tyres, check out MRF Zapper series for both front and rear. They are available in 17" size and provide good grip.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 19:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
So, here are my set of questions:
  1. Will an engine overhaul help solve this engine shut off issue? After how many years/KMS is usually an engine overhaul due? Is it required at all?
  2. Will tyre change be a good decision now? What is the life of a tyre?
  3. What is the best tyre that suits this bike and what is the ideal price
  1. In addition to above mention solution:
    1. For engine shut off check the magneto coil and HT coil for proper current supply. Do not go for engine overhaul until silencer smoke white and drop in engine oil level.
    2 & 3. If you have done 35k on rear tyre, you have covered a good mileage for tyre. I will suggest for Michelin tyres.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 14:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at the thread. Thanks for the information. However, can you tell me when should I think of Engine overhaul and what are the symptoms I am looking for?
Hi @bhappyharsha

Following are symptoms of engine overhaul:

1. Increased engine oil consumption. Your engine will require engine oil topping up frequently (under 1k kms). This is most critical, never run your engine lean (low on oil), lest it may heat-up & seize.
2. Smoke & oil in exhaust... this is not applicable in all cases.
3. Slow pickup & poor performance (even after a new clutch).

Moreover, at times, company mechanics recommend going for an overhaul when the piston head is bent due to heat & can be replaced with genuine spares at much lower costs. The former involves an expense of ~Rs.5k in the hands of a good mechanic.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote