Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th September 2009, 02:45   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower
A decent 400 for less than 3..this i have to see!
Erm...we'll discuss this when we meet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Spot on balenopower.

Remember like always when the Ninja is launched everyone would be shouting Its Overpriced

Like always? Techno, Bajaj's products have been known to give max smile per mile, if one knows how to ride. VFM was/is Bajaj's USP. The Ninja is a very decent bike, and it would be great if Bajaj could make it affordable. At 3 lacs, it is not perceivably overpriced, it IS overpriced.

The F650 used to retail for 3.2L from Hero motors at one point of time (96), which was a far better all-rounder. The last lot of the F650s went for as little as 2L on-road back in '98. In comparison, the Kwacker IS overpriced. For about 2-2.2 on-road, (the price of a Maruti 800) the baby Ninja is perfect. Else....

Last edited by veyron1 : 25th September 2009 at 02:47.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 13:04   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Like Always -

When ZMA was launched people said its overpriced.

When Comet was launched people said its overpriced becasue it was from Kinetic & made in Korea.

When P220 was launched people said overpriced as they were expecting it to have a top speed of 140 & a monoshock all for that price.

When R15 was launched people said its overpriced because its only 150 cc & has thin tires. But thankfully people did see value thanks to its Mini R1 looks

The F650 was a flop & it was initially sold at 4.5L+(yes that was the launch price) They sold only 75 of them & after a the first few at this price the later ones were sold at lower price for the sake of Clearance. Now that bike was single cylinder non Track bike. What kind of all rounder was it, it had knobby tires for rally & chasis which could support some hard core touring. How many people would spend 4L (its original price) for a weird looking tourer?

The Ninja is a thoroughbred Track ready 250cc Parallel twin with full body Kit & the works. Its one of the best 250s around today. It retails for around 2 lakh in International Markets & you expect it to be priced at same rate in India ???

Now when was the last time we bought any car which was priced remotely closed to its international price in India?

And for Heaven's sake its not a Bajaj Bike, it a Kawasaki Ninja launched by Bajaj.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th September 2009 at 13:07.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 22:10   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

And for Heaven's sake its not a Bajaj Bike, it a Kawasaki Ninja launched by Bajaj.
On the money buddy. That is what people should realize.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 23:21   #274
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I may be ridiculed but off late i have been thinking when Tata nano has 4 wheels
+ 1 spare , 650 CC about 30 Bhp power with twin cylinder why should bike be so expensive even those made in India.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 23:50   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I may be ridiculed but off late i have been thinking when Tata nano has 4 wheels
+ 1 spare , 650 CC about 30 Bhp power with twin cylinder why should bike be so expensive even those made in India.

you deserve to be ridiculed for saying something like that. Just kidding. your comparing two opposite ends of the spectrum mate. The nano with 4 wheels aims to be an upgrade for those who have a bike but cannot afford anything upwards of it. Its supposed to put the nation on wheels by being the most affordable 4-wheel personal transport. The Ninja on the other hand is a niche & focused lifestyle product for the two wheeler enthusiast who has been thirsting for a proper sportsbike since eons.
Old 25th September 2009, 23:58   #276
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@balenopower ; I Agree with you .But why can't we have we good 500 cc or 250cc indian bike in 1.5 L region. At 1 L approx 650cc twin cylinder nano why not 2 wheeler of sat 250-350cc at this price ?Justify with points not just it is available outside at this price , niche product(It is not a superbike from some Italians).
Also regarding niche that is how marketing people work create a hoopla around a product .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 02:09   #277
BHPian

Trust in thrust mere bhai, do you have any idea how much a similar spec Italian Ducati would cost?? If you want a good 500 cc Indian bike buy a bullet LB500. Infact its cheaper than 1.5L. Would you be able to to 0-100 in less than 7 seconds and over 155 km/h in a Nano? well unless you plan to fit the Nano with a big V6 im sorry it is possible. you want a good 250 cc INDIAN bike get the HH Karizma ZMR, Ok its 27 cc less but neverthless close enuff. Its been doing 0-100 in 14 odd seconds and a top speed of 125 km/h since the last 7 years. And if you did not know the Ninja retails for around 4000$ which is close to around 2 lakh INR. Thanks to our amazing duty structure we're ending up paying the 2.7 odd lakhs. here's a comparo for you. Honda CBR 1000rr - 12.5 lakh, Ducati 1098 - 25,61,250 both are Indian prices btw. So you can imagine wht an Italian 250 ka price would be. And please stop comparing the Nano to a sportsbike. you need to clear your perspective mate.

Last edited by balenopower : 26th September 2009 at 02:15.
Old 26th September 2009, 02:15   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust In Thrust
But why can't we have we good 500 cc or 250cc indian bike in 1.5 L region. At 1 L approx 650cc twin cylinder nano why not 2 wheeler of sat 250-350cc at this price ?
My point exactly. The ONLY reason that the Ninja would cost such is because it's a CBU. Only in India would we consider a 250cc starter bike a lifestyle product. If Bajaj tends to capitalize on that, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
When ZMA was launched people said its overpriced.
Yes. And then HH slashed the prices by 10 grand to buck up sales, remember? The VFM status HAD to be created, and only then did the numbers pick up.

Quote:
When Comet was launched people said its overpriced becasue it was from Kinetic & made in Korea.
Yes. It was. The first lot was launched for 1.89 lacs ex-showroom, and the last 50 of the limited batch of 500 was sold for 1.56 ex-showroom. The numbers speak for themselves. Hence, IMHO, it WAS overpriced.

Quote:
When P220 was launched people said overpriced as they were expecting it to have a top speed of 140 & a monoshock all for that price.
Yes. Again, we all know that the 220 hasn't yet set the sales charts on fire. In fact, the numbers aren't within sniffing distance from the competition. Then, Bajaj threw out FI, put in carbs, and slashed prices by 12 G's to make an impact.

Quote:
When R15 was launched people said its overpriced because its only 150 cc & has thin tires. But thankfully people did see value thanks to its Mini R1 looks
For 1 lac, the bike offers a lot. Monoshock suspension (upgradeable to pre-load adjustable, for those in the know), FI, a revv-happy engine & its USP, looks. Again, by the same logic, we should easily get access to a similarly specc-ed 250 for 2L. Yamaha isn't exactly on bread & butter margins on the R15.

Quote:
What kind of all rounder was it, it had knobby tires for rally & chasis which could support some hard core touring. How many people would spend 4L (its original price) for a weird looking tourer?
The F650 could cruise at 130 all day long, hit an indicated 160+ on the speedo, do off-roading like it's nobody's business, and handle corners with gusto given the right tyres. Forget the launch price. I never said it was VFM at launch price. It was VFM in '98, when the last lot was sold for 2.28 on-road, Mumbai. Launch the new beemer 650/800 now for 4 Lacs, & we'll see how many splurge their savings to get their hands on a BMW. In India, tourers make far more sense than an out-n-out sportster.

Quote:
Now when was the last time we bought any car which was priced remotely closed to its international price in India?
Okay, let's see. How about the Punto? You'll notice that manufacturers who make an effort to build a brand would make genuine efforts to price their products competitively.

We're not looking at the reason why Bajaj would have to price the Ninja at those levels. One word. CBU. That's what makes it expensive. In US, the Ninja retails for 3800 USD average. Inclusive of all margins. That's 1.8 lacs at the current exchange rate. Had Bajaj been able to assemble the Kwacker, it could have sold it for 2.2-2.4 max.

Quote:
Granted. I never said otherwise. It's just that the sales, service, spares & everything else would be taken care of by Bajaj. I've seen the service that they offer, and dare I say it, it's just about as bad as Kinetic.

But let's wait for the official launch, shall we? Then we can debate on the pluses, minuses, expenses et.al after a few test rides over a cup of tea...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 11:36   #279
Senior - BHPian

Let us reach the bridge. We can then decide who wants to cross it and who wants to turn back.
Looking at the amount of riding I am being able to accomplish, I am not sure it would make sense for me going for it right now.

Last edited by sammyboy : 26th September 2009 at 11:37.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 12:45   #280
BHPian

If its 3 Lakhs and above it is expensive for the buyer even if Bajaj is not making a decent profit on that.
Always, they don't seem to get it right first time and then later react to the market response.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 13:13   #281
BHPian

@ Technocrat - Well put up mate.
The thing i am sure of is that Bajaj is definately trying their best too keep the price as low as possible keeping margins intact. Also they are not looking to make substantial profits as their belief still remains "Do paisa Kamana".

Agree with Baleno power here that around 2.5 is deffinately a good price and 2 lakhs is a steal.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 17:23   #282
BHPian

Quote:
balenopower:
Would you be able to to 0-100 in less than 7 seconds and over 155 km/h in a Nano?
i dont see any problem if the engine is fitted onto two wheels!

Quote:
Trust_In_Thrust:
I may be ridiculed but off late i have been thinking when Tata nano has 4 wheels + 1 spare , 650 CC about 30 Bhp power with twin cylinder why should bike be so expensive even those made in India.
+1

does miniaturization justify excess cost the bike manufacturer's charge?

Last edited by rascalangel : 27th September 2009 at 17:29.
rascalangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 09:45   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Veyron1 - good points& I am te pted to reply as well But I agree with this

Quote:
But let's wait for the official launch, shall we? Then we can debate on the pluses, minuses, expenses et.al after a few test rides over a cup of tea
Infact the whole reason of my defending the rumored pricing was to say that lets not call it over priced before we see it in flesh & get a few ride reports. If it is indeed overpriced (i.e. price vs offering) then I too would join you guys in saying that it is overpriced
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 16:09   #284
Senior - BHPian

Lets hope the bike gets launched on 5th Oct.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:55   #285
Senior - BHPian

After years of riding mopeds we are getting a proper bike. and still people are cribbing. I dont get whats wrong.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote