Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th March 2010, 19:35   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
That's heartening to note.

@ 3+ Lacs... Do you think it's worth it, balenopower?

@ Proxima - I took a lot of time thinking about the Ninja's worth. For me, i was done with single cylinder bikes putting out 17-21 PS. I had maxxed out my Karizma and was ready for my next upgrade. Now im your average middle class guy, so thinking about the litre bikes was out of the question. Even if i had the money i wouldn't shell out in excess of 12 lakh for a bike which costs 5-6 lakh everywhere else in the world(Ninja @4099 pounds is just around 20-25k cheaper than in India). Thought hard about the R15 since it was the only other bike which would offer a different biking experience compared to the zma especially since im a very corner loving person. But i rode that bike extensively and although i loved it, the power felt wanting. the R1's and Busa's have more than enuff, but my pockets ain't that deep. Second hand grey market bikes were out of the question with DRI having a ball out there and i wouldn't want to own a 10 or 15 year old 400/600 for which every part needs to be imported now and then making it a very costly affair. The Ninja then was 'THE' bike for me. Although expensive (only i know how i'm managing to pay the EMI's) it was and is the only option for me. Plus being in the media industry, i had the opportunity to test the bike myself unlike my other friends who had to book it without even hearing it let alone riding it. proper big bike feel, a good 160 km/h top whack, a less than 8 seconds 100 km/h sprint and amazing amazing handling which more than suffices my corner carving needs. Need i say more? For me it is every of my hard earned penny well spent
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 19:44   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
But if u gave ME 3 lacs, I'd either go for a fully blown RD or for a slightly older 600.
Personl choice mate but at 3 lacs it not only worth, its pure VFM IMO.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 23:09   #813
BHPian

Its interesting you should say that balenopower, I'm an average middle class guy too and have started to think its now or never :-)

I'm wondering when Bajaj will launch an upgraded 220, maybe an upgraded Avenger?

What is the warranty they give and how many free services? Too early maybe but what's the mileage?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 08:18   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

I really love my R15 and the most logical upgrade i am looking at is in the 400-600 range, i won't be buying used as i do not stay in big cities and the 250R seems the best option for me now(keeping the present market scenario in mind)and might go for one, but may be after an year

@abhisek--Congratulations mate and you got my fave color too

^^can they re-design the clocks, i am not asking for a digi console, but some thing classy like previous gen Pulsar's, present Unicorn/ Karizma-R etc please and a fuel gauge

P-250 might be out
New Pulsar 250 may just be a liquid cooled parallel twin! - Motoroids.com

Last edited by Sheel : 18th March 2010 at 08:21.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 12:04   #815
BHPian

Thanks sheel - Aftermarket is the way buddy. There are a lot of aftermarket digital speedo consoles available for the Ninja 250.Im happy with the stock, atleast the blue backlight makes it a lil more presentable.Have a look on youtube.

@Proxima - It was now or never for me too and i chose to go for it now ..2 years warranty, and i dont think i saw any free services in the manual. All were mentioned as paid. Have to speak to the probiking guy about it.

Last edited by balenopower : 18th March 2010 at 12:07.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:33   #816
BHPian

@Proxima: I am not very sure but an upgraded version of Avenger may be just around the corner, so you better wait and watch.

Warranty is 2 years orr 30k kms whichever is earlier, and yes there is no free services.

This is a rough estimate of the servicing cost:

1st service: 1400-1500 Rs.
2nd Service: 550 Rs.
3rd Service: 5500+ Rs.

The labour charge is 535Rs/hour.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 20:10   #817
Senior - BHPian

Well I agree that the Ninja is expensive at 3+Lacs OTR. But remember it is imported and compared to the R15 which is 150cc and costs over a lakh, this makes a lot of sense.

When the bike was first announced in India at a price tag of 2.7L ex-showroom, I was disappointed. At that time, the thought of owning a ninja was almost non-existent given its price. Spending so much on a bike that too a quarter liter, was absurd.

But in reality, it is a really quick bike, handles well, fun to ride and for me a really good upgrade from my existing bike. I still agree it is expensive. I am paying a premium for it.... I get a fully legal bike backed by company warranty and service, spare parts are available off the shelf (not aftermarket parts though). So it does seem worthwhile at least to me.

P.S. I did consider buying a used SBK. But spending time at the garage attending to the smallest niggling issues, duty/customs/papers issues, parts sourcing issues etc. did not weigh up. I am very touchy when it comes to issues with my vehicles. Recurring issues are very painful and thats one area I dont want to venture into again.... hence the new Ninja.

BTW, made the booking today for the Racing Green color. Gotta wait for 90 days for the delivery. Hopefully it is here sooner.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 06:35   #818
Senior - BHPian

Ok. I really, truly, hate to be the bearer of foul news, but all current Ninja owners, please keep an eye out and verify if you guys are facing the CDI error as spoken about here:

IC Ignitor issues & power loss - ninjette.org

Of course, the US spec ones also face fuel gauge problems, which the Indian ones thankfully don't/won't have due to lack of fuel gauge...

After doing a fair bit of research, I'm thinking I was glad in not booking her few months back...!! I'd have really hated to be paying those stupendous EMIs and keep whacking my head over owning another faulty Bajaj. I really don't mean this as a dampener, guys....better safe than sorry for a prospective buyer, that's all..
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 08:17   #819
BHPian

Has this been reported on any Indian Ninja yet? Seems to be a tacho issue to me veyron...
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:38   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm from what i read there it, doesn't look like a big enough problem to regret buying the ninja here.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 12:01   #821
BHPian

Default 2.5k kms done

Guys, i have now clocked a successful and fun loving 2.5k on my baby. She is such a fun ride, At times i hate the attention she gets because of which parking her in a typical lot is very scary.

I have been changing the engine oil every 500kms till 2k now i plan to change it at 3k. The bike is revving much freely now. Have clocked amazing speeds on this baby ( 160+ on GPS). One observation with the IRC soles, on hard braking the rear tends to skid a bit, Can some one tell me if they face similar issue on the Ninja ?

Some slight mods / changes done.
  1. Rear Cowl
  2. Removed Number plate bracket - Number pasted on Fender
  3. Progrip Tank Pads
  4. Osram - Night Breakers

Also posting some pics of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. EDIT - Launched at Rs. 2.7L Ex Showroom-ninja-2.jpg  

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. EDIT - Launched at Rs. 2.7L Ex Showroom-ninja-1.jpg  

Speed-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 12:26   #822
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
I took a lot of time thinking
And I bet the thinking was more on how to get the finances to make sense rather then dropping the idea.

There are more of us around. We understand the sacrifices it takes.

You will enjoy the bike for sure. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
BTW, made the booking today for the Racing Green color. Gotta wait for 90 days for the delivery. Hopefully it is here sooner.
CONGRATS. Now begins the horrible waiting part.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 13:09   #823
BHPian

@Spitfire - Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post

After doing a fair bit of research, I'm thinking I was glad in not booking her few months back...!! I'd have really hated to be paying those stupendous EMIs and keep whacking my head over owning another faulty Bajaj. I really don't mean this as a dampener, guys....better safe than sorry for a prospective buyer, that's all..
looks like, Veyron is hunting for reasons to why not buy the Ninja. The Karizma that you own and i owned had a multitude of issues as well, weak plastics, faulty chain tensioner and an exhaust, all very expensive items which needed frequent replacement. But the karizma still sold well didnt it and its still a good bike to own. Niggles are present in almost everything you buy, and if you dont learn to accept it i think you wont be able to buy anything out there. Anyways where are you these days, long time no see.

@speedfreak - i dont know which bike you owned prior to the ninja, but having owned a karizma with drums at the rear, the rear disc's on the Ninja offer tremendous bite. Thus going hard on the rear brakes will tend to lock up the wheels no matter what rubber one uses. its the same on any rear disc equipped bike. lets meet up man i want to see how the osrams perform. PM me your cell number.

Last edited by balenopower : 19th March 2010 at 13:23.
Old 19th March 2010, 14:50   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
looks like, Veyron is hunting for reasons to why not buy the Ninja. The Karizma that you own and i owned had a multitude of issues as well, weak plastics, faulty chain tensioner and an exhaust, all very expensive items which needed frequent replacement.
Got the valves replaced at 15000kms and sold it,
the plastics are horrible, the mid panel cracked, the head-lamp lugs used to break on its own

would like to know more about osram, cost and can it be fitted on R15/250R
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 17:11   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Ok. I really, truly, hate to be the bearer of foul news, but all current Ninja owners, please keep an eye out and verify if you guys are facing the CDI error as spoken about here:

IC Ignitor issues & power loss - ninjette.org

Of course, the US spec ones also face fuel gauge problems, which the Indian ones thankfully don't/won't have due to lack of fuel gauge...

a faulty bajaj ? does bajaj sell Ninja in Usa also ? FYI the faults in us ninjas does not in any way relate to bajaj. There is no major problems faced by any Ninja owner in India so far, and Bajaj has nothing to do with it, they just assemble the bike and sell it, and i do not think a bike manufacturer with quite a bit of experience can go wrong with this small task, yes A.s.s needs to be seen, but that altogether is a different issue.
Just because yours or any of your known friends/relatives bajaj used to break down a lot, does not mean every bajaj bike in this country is faulty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
Guys, i have now clocked a successful and fun loving 2.5k on my baby. She is such a fun ride, At times i hate the attention she gets because of which parking her in a typical lot is very scary.

I have been changing the engine oil every 500kms till 2k now i plan to change it at 3k. The bike is revving much freely now. Have clocked amazing speeds on this baby ( 160+ on GPS). One observation with the IRC soles, on hard braking the rear tends to skid a bit, Can some one tell me if they face similar issue on the Ninja ?

Some slight mods / changes done.
  1. Rear Cowl
  2. Removed Number plate bracket - Number pasted on Fender
  3. Progrip Tank Pads
  4. Osram - Night Breakers

Also posting some pics of the bike.
Wow, removing the numberplate does wonders to the looks !
And i think the rear skids because you might be applying more than required pressure on the rear brake.

Rev hard !
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote