Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th February 2014, 20:21   #46
Default Re: Motorbikes - Tips to prevent rust in Monsoon

Dear fellow team-bhpian's I tried and searched all the possible sections of team-bhp but did not find any thread which was relevant to my query and hence i am posting my query out here regarding rusting or corrosion pertaining to Bikes!
I have a BAJAJ pulsar 220F August 2011 model and have clocked 5400 kms till date since i use my bike for only local rides around my home area and a week end long drive of about 50 to 75 kms. It is regularly serviced at Authorised BAJAJ service outlets and is like a New Bike till date.
Coming to my Query, Recently i visited a exide battery authorised service outlet and got the electrolyte of the battery refilled (as it was a little low) but the service person with/without his knowledge filled the electrolyte to the battery's brim and ever since then the battery electrolyte started leaking out from the battery. Luckily the drain pipe was also installed during the refilling (on my request) but after about a week i noticed that the bike's main (centre) stand has started getting corroded (rusted) for which i immediately exchanged the old exide (acid) battery to Amaron (Dry) Battery and applied about two coats of black spray paint to the rusted area of the main (centre) stand but even after doing so the stand is getting rusted at the same area again after a week with certain whitish powder like formation and also brown rust at the spot which was seen even when the rust had just started on the stand!
Should i replace the main (centre) stand which costs about Rs.400 or is their a way i can restore the existing stand as the rust has just started developing only on the surface of the the corroded area of the stand? Please help.
Respected Moderator's kindly move this post to an appropriate section if its not deserving to be asked here.
Thank you in advance!
Rakshith220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 00:50   #47
Default Re: Motorbikes - Tips to prevent rust in Monsoon

Rub the affected area clean with a sand paper, apply red oxide on it, then paint it with oil paint. You may have to dismantle it depending upon extent of corrosion and accessibility.
Tejas Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote