Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th August 2004, 17:05   #1

Hi guys,
I'm looking for 2nd hand bike-CBZ mainly. tell me what are the factors I am suppose to look into before buying one. Is buying a moded bike adviseable??? And one more thing is it worth buying second hand CBZ If NOT which one is better...
vinaypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 17:20   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i wouldnt advise you to buy a modded bike. most people mod a bike to hide some accident jobs. if u want a modded bike, buy a stock one and mod it.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 17:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]tell me what are the factors I am suppose to look into before buying one.
Well, these factors remain the same whether you're buying a bike or a car.
- Check to see if all papers are clean and clear
- See if his service book has been signed/stamped by the dealer showing that the services were done on time.
- When taking a test ride, make sure to go over some rough roads as this will bring out the faults such as loose head bearing, worn out shocks and leaking fork seals.
- Check for oil leaks
- Check the condition of the tyres
- ITs really easy to "clock" a bike, so be sceptical of the odo reading and trust your eyes and test ride more than anything.
- On a CBZ, make sure you check the disc brake and master cylinder carefully. If there are any leaks, dont buy it as new ones are expensive (Rs.5,000 or more).
- Make sure you remove the seat and see what condition the battery and other wires are in too.
- Check the kick start on the CBZ. These are known to give problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Is buying a moded bike adviseable???
Well, as a thumb rule, I would say no. However, it depends on what you mean by modded. If you're just talking cosmetic mods such as a paint job, or maybe larger tyres, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, be vary of the guy who says he's done work on the engine! I would even avoid bikes with aftermarket exhausts as they play havoc with the carburation and may even lead to burnt valves.

If you find a clean CBZ, go for it. I ride a Pulsar and would not recommend it to anyone, especially not 2nd hand (ps. mine is for sale ). CBZ's are great handlers and reliable bikes, so it makes a good used buy.

Rtech
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 19:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

vinay,

i am against buying a modded or a 2nd hand bike. go and buy a new bike for urself..coz we never know how ppl have treated the bike.

but if u want a 2nd hand bike..stay clear of the modded ones and go for a stock 2nd hand one. and i agree totally with rtech abt the points to be considered.

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 19:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since you are looking for a CBZ....you gotta be very careful about the bike u purchase, as usually people buy CBZ's as a sports bike and they tend to redline the bike. So try to get a certified machine from a HH showroom or some other authorized place.
shravan316 is online now   Reply With Quote