Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th October 2004, 18:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

What RDs do in other countries does not count here. The Comet figures posted here, are by the Indian version of the Comet, running on Indian fuel and under indian conditions.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 19:15   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Oct. 12 2004,16:36)]What RDs do in other countries does not count here. The Comet figures posted here, are by the Indian version of the Comet, running on Indian fuel and under indian conditions.

Shan2nu
True enough. Thats why I said add a few seconds to those times, which still makes the RD quicker.

But try and find a test of an RD giving its performance figures. I sure as hell can't!

Anyways, even the detuned Indian version should be faster than a Comet!

Maybe Tom (who has an RD) could give us some impromptu figures with a friend and a stopwatch! Tom...what say man?

Rt
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 19:27   #18
Team-BHP Support

So I just got off the phone with the Kinetic dealer in Andheri.

Bookings for the Comet open on October 15th. The price, as mentioned in the rediff link, Rs.1,76,000/- on road.

However, what I don't like is the fact that they require the full amount upfront at the time of booking, and deliveries will only be made near the end of February 2005!!!

Only Four and a half months (at the minimum) after putting 100% of the money down will you even be able to swing a leg over "your" bike! That is ridiculous! What is it, a Maybach??

Somehow I don't find the wait very appealing! I mean, I thought a month maybe...after all the bikes are coming in SKD form, so how long can it take to assemble 500 bikes!

Worse, it means if i put my Pulsar as part downpayment as i had planned, I would have to go almost half a year without a bike! heeelllll no!

Time to move to plan "B". Used Import shopping!

Rt
Old 12th October 2004, 20:28   #19
Team-BHP Support

Well what do you know!!!

I put forward an email to Kinetic stating pretty much the same thing I had mentioned in my previous post. I sent the email at 5.27 pm and received a reply at 6.15pm. Amazing!

Well, here is what Ms. Vismaya Firodia, Vice President, had to say in her reply:
Dear Robin:

I apologize for the inconvenience of the wait.
However, I want to explain to you the reasons behind
this:

1. It takes about 3 months for the bikes to be
manufactured in Korea, shipped to India, custom
cleared at the ports, built, dispatched to dealers
etc. The bookings close on Nov 20. Add 3 months to
that. Its just not possible to shorten this timeline.

2. We have chosen not to pre-order a quantity because
we did that with the Aquila and it doesnt work out
well. There is no way to estimate the number of bikes
to pre-order, and we end up disappointing customers,
ordering more bikes later and having to set up
assembly operations more often than is feasible,
really.

3. We are selling the Comet at our absolute break-even
price at which we make no profit. So we cant afford to
take a risk. Hyosung requires full payment in advance
before manufacturing the bikes. So we are really doing
all the work of getting these bikes for our buyers.

Finally, a huge amount of effort has gone into
bringing the Comet to India, and believe me, the wait
would be worth it.

Whether you choose to go for the Comet or not, I
wanted to clarify this so there is no misunderstanding
or ill-will.
Let me know if you need anything else..

Regards
Vismaya

Going by the pricing abroad, I too was wondering how they could launch the bike here at a comparable price, even after paying our high duties. Her answer of jsut about breaking even satisfies that.

Now think what you will of his reply, its always a positive note when the manufacturer sends you a reply barely 45 minutes later!

Once again, my compliments to Kinetic! If only the delivery of the Comet was so quick

Rt

Old 12th October 2004, 22:21   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

Now think what you will of his reply, its always a positive note when the manufacturer sends you a reply barely 45 minutes later!
I agree. Am as pleasantly surprised as you are. Cheers to Kinetic!

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 16:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Quote
RD: again, they vary, but 14.2-15 are the norm.

Again, these are the times managed by the RD's that come to drag races.

Its common knowledge that a 2 stroke produces more power per cc as compared to a 4 stroke.
hi so far at all the drags in mumbai all the well / excellent maintained stock rd's, maybe iwth a little porting have done between 16-18secs..its only the exceptional few that have cracked the 16 second barrier...
though a lot of rd's now crack 150kmph, on an average they cantouch bout 130

rt you got everything spot on bout the f650..very nice!

i'd still say 1.76 lacs is a lot for this bike...

yo rtech u knw quite a bit about bikes man..get a good condition 2 stroker ..like a tzr250sp...you'll love it man... upside forks..Vtwin..flatslide carbs...all round disc's ..very good looker too..tons ofother trick bits
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 18:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hi so far at all the drags in mumbai all the well / excellent maintained stock rd's, maybe iwth a little porting have done between 16-18secs..its only the exceptional few that have cracked the 16 second barrier...
Thats true. I think the fastest time by an RD in the last drag in Mumbai was in the low 16's. However, I'm sure with practice, those time would drop to mid 15's ...atleast, and with a really good RD, high 14's are not out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]get a good condition 2 stroker ..like a tzr250sp...you'll love it man... upside forks..Vtwin..flatslide carbs...all round disc's ..very good looker too..tons ofother trick bits
What can I say man, I'm really not a strokie! They are fine for a wild ride every now and then, but I have always lusted after a inline-4.

Also, any bike I own is going to be used in the same way I use my Pulsar i.e. everyday, fast and hard. A Hayabusa or an R1 may be awesome to own, but you're never gonna use them as a daily ride, squeezing them in between the 100cc parking lot.

Here's where I see the Comet fit in almost perfectly to my needs. No, its not my dream bike by a long shot, but it would have to do until the day comes where I can own a garage full of every bikers dream machinery - a cruiser, a tourer, a trailee, a standard and 2 superbikes!!

Rt
Old 20th October 2004, 18:19   #23
BHPian

I saw the Comet. its really impressive. worth checking it out at least once, even if not buying.
sunilbakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 19:08   #24
Tom
BHPian

sorry jus saw this thread now.
Shan2unu im curious to know whether u have ridden a RD before.
Rtech the b'lore RD's are the fastest in the country 13.1sec 1/4 mile @165kph (measured on our dsp radar speed gun) remember thats faster than the Toyota Supra and remember we're at 3000ft above mumbai

Stock HT out of the showroom or an old one blue-printed to stock specs would do a cool 140-145kph (true speed).
Stock RD should be able to do 1/4 in under 16sec.
Drag RD can do 0-100kph in under 6sec.

Doesnt make sense comparing the 2 bikes though. To each his own.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 19:37   #25
Tom
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Oct. 12 2004,16:12)]So i feel the Comet can easily take on a stock RD, in every respect.

Shan2nu
thats great news!
Cycleworld USA rated the RD as the 8th best super bike of the century and u think some jack a$$ pile of steel crap made in korea is gonna even come close to it?

Read about Don Emde

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/3302.jpg

He won the Daytona 200 in 1972 on a yamaha rd350, the first daytona 200 win for Yamaha, the smallest engined bike to ever win the race, the first two stroke to ever win the race.

Remember that the engine size limit for the 200 was 750cc, and he beat them on an rd350. Be proud of this little bike. This also was the begining of total domination of the Daytona 200 by yamaha which lasted through the entire decade, winning every daytona 200 in the 70's

this '72 tech bike has ruled the indian roads from 1983 till date
and yes stock to stock the RD is faster than the v-tec in the qrtr

Old 20th October 2004, 20:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Cycleworld USA rated the RD as the 8th best super bike of the century and u think some jack a$$ pile of steel crap made in korea is gonna even come close to it?
Who's to say that 25 years from now...the Comet won't be voted as one of the best bikes in the world!

ok ok...I admit, the chances of that happening are a bit out there

Rt
Old 20th October 2004, 20:18   #27
Tom
BHPian

remember when the RD first came out in the US it was faster than most of the 750's and hence they ran their popular ad which said "...dont worry...u aint the first 750 rider to be blown by a 350!!" lemme see if i can dig up that ad from somewhere
Old 20th October 2004, 21:38   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The RD and the Comet cannot be compared since the RD is out of production. A 2nd hand RD will cost 50k whereas a Comet costs 1.75 lakhs.

Performance wise the RD definitely beats the Comet. As to which would be a better buy if u had the bucks, it will be the Comet since it is in production and Kinetic has arranged for servicing at their dealerships along with spares.

So there are many other parameters on the basis of which u can decide which bike is better. Performance-wise its the RD, looks/features/ownership wise its the Comet.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2004, 13:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Well, just came back from a trip to 2 dealers selling the Comet in
Bombay. Both of them are Laxmi Auto, but one in Amboli and the other in Chembur! Had to go to both places as the Amboli one had a red bike, and the Chembur one had the other 2 colors...black and yellow.

My first impression of the bike (lookswise) is that its tank is
huge! I mean, the CBR1000rr has a smaller tank than this 250! Its
great though as it lets you think you're riding a far larger machine. This bke has got an imense presence on our Indian roads. You will not think its only 250cc.

Sitting on it, it felt perfect. Very easy to manoeuvre in tight
spaces as it feels very well balanced. However, the rear is way to
soft. It really squats down. But, the shock is adjustable, so I guess that can be taken care of.

Enginewise, well, all i got to do was ride up and down the dealer
parking lot. Nice sound from that Vtwin, if a little too much
mechanical noise. I'm sure that race can would a worthy addition. I couldnt tell a lot about the performance as I never got it out of 1st gear, but it seems very flexible and really smooth.

Other things i didnt much care for are the cheap looking dials with
their yellow marking. A simple white on black dial would have looked way classier.

The other thing that looks cheap are the weld joints on the frame.
Hyosung needs to sort this out as it looks like the frame was put
together by a bunch of kids learning to weld.

So, will I be buying this. Well, I'm still waiting for a proper test
ride before I put down my money, but despite all the shortcomings
I've mentioned, I still liked the bike a lot, and I have a feeling
I'm soon gonna be riding a black Comet come Feb 2005.

Rt
Old 23rd October 2004, 14:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Get over it guys, the RD is long gone. Call it a legend or call it history, it makes no diff now. If the Rd's were really that fast, how come i don't see many stock ones around? Most of them are modified to the core.

The Comet will handle much better than the RD, it will also be more stable at high speeds and under hard braking. Yam will have to come up with their own version of a 250cc, 4 stroke, sports bike to beat the Comet.

The RD maybe quick, but the Comet has a much better overall design and handling.

I ain't a Korean fan either, but this one just blew me off my feet.

Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote