Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st October 2004, 18:21   #1
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up

Well, its almost here.

India has being crying out for one for a long time. Not since the 1980's has a powerful, twin cylinder motorcycle been available to the public.

Yes, its only a 250. Yes, its made in Korea, but who cares! Get over its place of birth and ignore that name. I have read reviews on this bike from every respected moto magazine in the world, and all of them have nothing but praise for this bike. They all consider it one of the best "standard" 250cc bikes you can buy...for any price!

Part of the appeal comes from the fact that the frame was designed to house a 650cc engine with twice the HP rating (66hp instead of the 250's 30). Thats why it is large for a 250. Thats why a 6 footer will not make this 250 look like a moped.

While 30 Hp doesn't sound like much (and its really not), remember that the bike weighs only 135Kg dry. A 700Kg plus Maruti 800 only produced 45Hp - just 15hp more - when it was carburatted. Think about that...!

For congested cities, this is the ideal mode of transport. The perfect bike. It will cut through traffic like a pulsar, but is still large enough to take out of town comfortably. It will cruise at 110Kmph comfortably all day and will blast to 140kmph when the need arises. C'mon, do you really need ("want" is a different thing!!) be going faster than that on our terrible highways?

I have just received word from Kinetic that they have managed to get ARAI certification for the OE tubeless tyres, the same ones it is sold with in other world markets. So, we will get 110/70 front and 150/70 rear tyres. Awesome! To bring things into perspective, my 600cc Katana had just a 120 front and a 160 rear.

Kinetic informs me that the bike will be sold priced between Rs.1.7-2.0 lakhs. Thats US$4,166 or so. Thats a hellava price IMO. Try and find a cheaper NEW bike in India or the world for that matter.

Bookings open mid-October, when the bike is officially launched and put on display at their showrooms. The bikes will then be imported in a limited number, limited only by the number of bookings received though, so thats good news!

I cannot wait for this bike, as I am sure other manufactueres will wake up and take notice.

Will I buy one? Well, I'm counting the days when I can hand my Pulsar in as downpayment for one of these.

Rt

Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2004, 21:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally!! It may be a jump by only a couple of cc...but the point is bigger bikes are coming. Look at the most powerful car available 10 years back. The Contessa with 88 bhp? And look at the car scene now...You can buy a full blown SL500 with bill, warranty and service. Forget supercars, even the average sedan has gone up from the Maruti 1000's 40 odd bhp to a 100 bhp.

Bigger bikes are more than welcome. But why oh why cant the RD ever come back? (And dont start with emission regulations)

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 15:56   #3
BHPian

yeah man bring on the rd
this bike is korean
oil cooled
twin cylinder
korean
korean
umm... did i mention...korean?
2 lacs for a 250twin oil cooled korean bike?
man u'll be the laughing stock of the biking world

the only reason i'm waiting for this bike is so that some one crashese it and i can buy off those upside down forks swingarm & tyre/rims for an RD!!!!
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 16:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to break the news to all the RD fans here but...THE RD IS DEAD! Get over it already!

Godspeed, have you gone for a long ride on an RD, say, up the ghats? The darn thing almost siezes! Yes, it was and still is the fastest bike India has ever got (not counting the F650) but thats in a straight line.

The RD, with its 20 year old suspension cannot keep up with a modern sportsbike, even if that bike is a bit less powerful than the RD. Yes, I'm sure you could transplant modern suspension onto the RD, but calculate the costs of all that plus new wheels/ tyres and disc brakes, and you are sure to spend close to a lakh if not more. And you are still left with a 20 year old engine that requires new rings every few thousand kilometers.

I'm always amused when a person judges a product on where its made and not on what it actually delivers. I guess I'm guilty of doing that as well at times, although I consciously try and stop myself!

Remember, the Japansese went through the exact same identity crisis a couple of decades ago. No one's laughing at them now.

Rt

Old 9th October 2004, 15:32   #5
BHPian

ofcourse its old no doubt
but does the comet justify its price tag?
is it really exclusive being a korean? how many aquila's do u see..and do any ever command a premium over their 'exclusivity'?

oh yeah btw i've ridden plenty, have had plenty of bikes, ridden in many countries so i have some idea about what i'm talking

people dont spend properly on a bike like an rd, & thats why u never see an immaculate bike, i'm sure alot of people will agree with me a well done up Rd can really whup some ###

anyways its good to see we have different opinions..otherwise there would never be any disciussion!!

another thingis for the same price you'll get immaculate tzr250's, rz350 ypvs/lc's etcetc all trouble free & really crazy pocket rockets
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2004, 15:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]is it really exclusive being a korean? how many aquila's do u see..and do any ever command a premium over their 'exclusivity'?
Who said this was about exclusivity? All I'm saying is that the Comet is a good bike, even though its Korean!

Sure if a prospective buyer wants that extra bit of snob value, he probably is not going to get it on one of these, i agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]people dont spend properly on a bike like an rd, & thats why u never see an immaculate bike, i'm sure alot of people will agree with me a well done up Rd can really whup some ###
Yes, I think I mentioned that the RD is a faster bike, albeit in a straight line. Its in he corners (where the fun is BTW) that the RD will lose out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]anyways its good to see we have different opinions..otherwise there would never be any disciussion!!
For sure! There's nothin I love more than a good debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]another thingis for the same price you'll get immaculate tzr250's, rz350 ypvs/lc's etcetc all trouble free & really crazy pocket rockets
I see you're a strokie eh! I personally love the sound of a 4 stroke, inline 4 nearing its redline...nothing comes close to that sound!! But Yea, those bikes are seriously fast bikes with some crazy powerbands! However, after owning an old bike and living with its problems, I would hesitate putting money on a 10 year old again. The peace of mind that comes with a new bike is something totally different though.

Rt
Old 9th October 2004, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] A 700Kg plus Maruti 800 only produced 45Hp - just 15hp more - when it was carburetted.
Not really. It was around 39.5 bhp.

Revvmaster
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 17:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ Oct. 09 2004,14:48)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] A 700Kg plus Maruti 800 only produced 45Hp - just 15hp more - when it was carburetted.
Not really. It was around 39.5 bhp.

Revvmaster
I think it was 37 for the Euro I verison
and it was 39.5 or 40 for the Euro II

does anyone have any specs of the BMW F650 Sold in India and which year was it introduced ?
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 20:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine told me that the Bmw F650 that was bought in India produced a messly 48 horses @ 6500 rpm
Sounds pretty less a 650cc bike, Maybe coz its a single cylinder motor.
Also surprising was te fact that this bike didnt even have alloys as standard fitment.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 01:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

How fast was the stock RD? Don't think it was faster than the Comet. I'm talking stock here, not the drag or moded versions.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 16:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (dipen @ Oct. 10 2004,18:35)]A friend of mine told me that the Bmw F650 that was bought in India produced a messly 48 horses @ 6500 rpm
Sounds pretty less a 650cc bike, Maybe coz its a single cylinder motor.
Also surprising was te fact that this bike didnt even have alloys as standard fitment.
Yea, thats right, the F650 made just 48 hp.

It may be a 650cc machine, but it is just a single. Single's are known for their torque, and to have a single of 650cc, the stroke would need to be rather long, hence they are relatively slow revving.

Alloys on this type of bike - i.e. a trailee, are usually not used. If you notice, all the bikes used in the Paris-Dakar rally run with spoked wheels, as they can be fixed, are lighter and strong as well.

The F650 is BMW's first ever single, made as a beginners bike for the developed markets. Its just in India, it was th most expensive bike ever (same price as an Esteem in its time!!) hence people looked at it differently.

As a product, the F650 is a great bike.

Rt
Old 12th October 2004, 16:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Oct. 11 2004,00:16)]How fast was the stock RD? Don't think it was faster than the Comet. I'm talking stock here, not the drag or moded versions.

Shan2nu
For sure a stock RD is quicker than a Comet. Consider this.

The RD has a 100cc advantage over the Comet AND the RD is a 2 stroke. Its common knowledge that a 2 stroke produces more power per cc as compared to a 4 stroke. Even given the 20 years of progress the Comet has over the RD, the RD has a 5 hp advantage over the Comet. The specs speak for themselves:

Power
Comet: 30
RD: 35

Weight (wet)
Comet: 155 kg
RD:160

0-100 kmph
Comet (OD test): 10.44
RD: well, you will never find consistant figures, but I've read magazines abroad doing it in as little as 5 secs!! Thats with their version of the RD, so maybe add 1.5 secs and its still 4 secs quicker to 100 than the Comet.

1/4 mile
Comet (OD Test):17.66secs @ 121.77kmph
RD: again, they vary, but 14.2-15 are the norm.

Its too bad no manufacturer can launch a bike in the year 2004 to compete with those figures of a 20 year old machine.

Rt
Old 12th October 2004, 17:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]RD: well, you will never find consistant figures, but I've read magazines abroad doing it in as little as 5 secs!! Thats with their version of the RD, so maybe add 1.5 secs and its still 4 secs quicker to 100 than the Comet.
You must be kidding me. 5 secs is for the fully moded race/drag versions. A stock one would manage around 10-11 secs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]RD: again, they vary, but 14.2-15 are the norm.
Again, these are the times managed by the RD's that come to drag races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Its common knowledge that a 2 stroke produces more power per cc as compared to a 4 stroke.
Maybe, but that is not the case here. 35bhp from 350cc is 100bhp/ltr and 30bhp from 250cc is 120bhp/ltr.

So the Comet has a higher specific output. 20bhp/ltr to be precise.

Found an issue of Super Bikes (Overdrive) where they've mentioned that the RD's that did 0-100 in 6.5 secs and maxed out at 220kmph produced 60bhp and had a comp ratio of 10.5:1, compared to the 6.6:1 of the stock one.

Stock RD's maxed out at 135kmph, with the speedo showing 160kmph at that point.

So i feel the Comet can easily take on a stock RD, in every respect.

Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 17:53   #14
BHPian

FYI
Rediff link on Comet launch
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 17:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]You must be kidding me. 5 secs is for the fully moded race/drag versions. A stock one would manage around 10-11 secs.
Well, the Indian versions, especially the ones sold towards the 90's were restricted to about 28 hp. But a proper RD, STOCk, will do the 0-96kmph (0-60 mph) in less than 7 secs for sure, as I've seen that in many articles abroad.

I guess the crappy tires here had an effect ont he times as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]So i feel the Comet can easily take on a stock RD, in every respect.
Actually, it probably would, as it takes a finely tuned RD and a real good rider to extract the best time out of her, while any Comet would probably produce similar times with much less effort. However, you're not likely to frighten yourself silly with the Comet...something thats real easy with an RD !

In the handling front, there is no competion though!