Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2011, 21:25   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
....Had a tryst with running the scooter for 2 km with the choke a week back....Hope there is not much damage done.
Not much damage would be done. Just ensure it does not repeat too often and for very long distances.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:48   #1577
BHPian

Guys,
There is a development. I asked my dad to call the Lodha Honda showroom to tell them again about this issue. My dad spoke to the supervisor and explained the problem again, after a bit of arguing they agreed to send a guy from service centre to pick up the vehicle and sort out the issues. They had come to our home and checked the vehicle, they said the battery is weak and the fuel cap is not fittig properly resulting in airlock (hmm...). I had asked them to change the engine oil along with this.
Went to the service centre yesterday evening to get the vehicle with my dad. After 45mins, we were able to get the vehicle. I Wanted to check the self-start, it worked properly, then switched on the head light,it worked fine, then an indicator, the light blinked properly, but there was no beep sound, the buzzer was kaput, asked them to check it, then the guy fixed it in front of us. Took the vehicle out for a test drive, everything seemed to work fine except for the head light, it was focusing on the oncomming trafic rather than the road, so came back and leveled the head light and then gave the vehicle to dad and he took it home.

The issues they listed and fixed were
1. No charge in the battery - they recharged it
2. Carburator had carbon deposits - they have cleaned it.
3. Ventilation holes in the fuel cap was not proper, it was kind of sealed, so they changed it.

Today morning, I checked the vehicle and saw a puddle of oil at the bottom near the engine, so called up the service centre, took the vehicle again and fixed it. They said it was a loose bolt in the gear oil comparment, fixed it in 20 mins and gave me the vehicle back. Hopefully my woes end here.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:29   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Ventilation holes in the fuel cap was not proper, it was kind of sealed, so they changed it.
.....Hopefully my woes end here.
Glad to know that the issues are fixed. Wishing you many happy miles with the Aviator!!
Old 7th April 2011, 13:39   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
they said the battery is weak and the fuel cap is not fittig properly resulting in airlock (hmm...). I had asked them to change the engine oil along with this.
Was it neccessary to replace the engine oil barely few days after delivery. Normally its done during the first service. Did Lodha charge you for the engine oil

Quote:
a loose bolt in the gear oil comparment, fixed it in 20 mins and gave me the vehicle back. Hopefully my woes end here
I really hope your woes do end with this episode. Thats too many issues for a brand new Aviator. Time to bring it to Honda's attention ASAP. I am only thinking of the days to come when you would be taking to Lodha for scheduled services. I hope you do have another Honda A.S.S in your vicinity.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:07   #1580
BHPian

@ Abhinav

Thanks for the wishes.

@Ghodlur

With all these issues Aviator had run 200kms in three weeks. So I thought it woulld be good to change the engine oil, next I am planning to change the engine oil again at 1000kms. I am not sure how the carburator will be choked with carbon in this 200 kms running. Regretting my decision to go ahead with honda now. Lodha honda is the only one in the neighbourhood, I need to go atleast 15 to 20 kms to the next service station. I am drafting a mail to honda now, will post it in their website in some time. Let me see if they respond.

It had been three pathetic weeks with the aviator now. I have absolutely no complaints with the way the vehicle handles, the engine smoothness, power delivery or braking. But all these nice things get lost when you are stranded in the middle of the road and you have to push the vehicle more than once, it won't respond to the kick starts too. So the fault was not just with teh battery, something to do with the carburator and fuel cap. My father is 60 years old and he retired recently from a high post @ the state govenment, its too much for him. He normally walks the 3 kms to our small farm to water the plants there, this vehicle was supposed to help him. He is so frustrated with this scooter that he said to the service manager, if he gets one more issue, he is going to take the vehicle to the showroom and burn it or smash it to pieces and publish the same in the local newspapers. Hopefully it gets better from now on.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:26   #1581
BHPian

guys,
I would like to read about the internals of the gearless scooters, their common problems and how to identify them. Please point me to the sources / your exp if you have any info.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:26   #1582
BHPian

Does anyone have a review on the Mahindra Kine? Is it a 4-stroke?
I am planning to replace the 6 year old 15k run honda activa with a lighter scooter for my wife.
A low seating and light weight are the only criteria as of now.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:28   #1583
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra Kine is a 2stroke model. If you are considering something like the Kine you may want to look at the TVS Scooty Teenz, another 2-stroker equally light and I believe the TVS engine though less powerful is a much better option.

The Kine uses an old Kinetic engine. Unlike the other 3 scooters from Mahindra, which use a Sym engine, which is an absolute gem in terms of power, the Kine engine according to me is suspect.

On the other hand the 60cc TVS engine is an absolute gem of an engine, one you cant go wrong with. This coming from a guy with first hand use of the engine. We still own one of those old standard TVS Scootys, which uses the same engine. It is still going strong after almost 8 years and 1 lakh kms of running. I might add it was thrashed for the 1st 50,000 kms in 3 years of use by me, who stayed at full throttle more often than not.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:02   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
Does anyone have a review on the Mahindra Kine? Is it a 4-stroke?
I am planning to replace the 6 year old 15k run honda activa with a lighter scooter for my wife.
A low seating and light weight are the only criteria as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The Mahindra Kine is a 2stroke model. If you are considering something like the Kine you may want to look at the TVS Scooty Teenz, another 2-stroker equally light and I believe the TVS engine though less powerful is a much better option.

The Kine uses an old Kinetic engine. Unlike the other 3 scooters from Mahindra, which use a Sym engine, which is an absolute gem in terms of power, the Kine engine according to me is suspect.

On the other hand the 60cc TVS engine is an absolute gem of an engine, one you cant go wrong with. This coming from a guy with first hand use of the engine. We still own one of those old standard TVS Scootys, which uses the same engine. It is still going strong after almost 8 years and 1 lakh kms of running. I might add it was thrashed for the 1st 50,000 kms in 3 years of use by me, who stayed at full throttle more often than not.
We picked up a Wego less than a month ago. That is a scooter that you can also consider since it is very light as well and the power is equivalent to the Activa. Mileage is good too. My wife finds it very easy to ride around and parking on centre stand is also very easy. Take a test ride and see for yourself.

Prajwal
Old 13th April 2011, 11:54   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Pretty much all gearless scooters are light, but I think here we were considering super light stuff. The Activa, Wego, Aviator, Rodeo, Flyte, Access etc are close to 110kg kerb weight, while the Scooty Teenz and the Kine are closer to 80kg kerb weight.

30kgs may not seem a lot, but unless you actually ride them you cant really feel the difference. As somebody who rides both classes pretty regularly, I can tell you 30kgs makes a hell lot of difference.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:17   #1586
BHPian

Thanks guys for the replies.

Wego seemed more or less the same as Activa.

For me the important criteria is definitely the weight, and ride height (wife is 5ft 1in tall).

I would leave out the kine for the 2-stroke reason.

I guess I dont have much options other than the Scooty Teenz.

Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 12:29   #1587
Senior - BHPian

@Neon_daytona : You can give the HH Pleasure a try too!
Its lightweight, reliable Honda mechanicals and quite VFM too. Ohh, and my mom also rides the one I have, and she is all of 5' tall!
Old 14th April 2011, 14:08   #1588
Senior - BHPian

@neon_daytona

The Scooty Teenz is also 2-stroke for your info. Though I don;t think, you should disregard all 2-strokers, there isnt much wrong with them. Your wife may love the extreme lightness.

The next best in terms of lightness are the Scooty Pep+ and Scooty Streak.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:46   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It had been three pathetic weeks with the aviator now....
Really sad to hear that from a owner of supposedly super reliable JAP machine. But cheer up, you are not alone. Even my experience with the aviator has never been good at all.

No doubt it has a brilliant handling. Even at 80+ kmph it feels so planted to the road. But then looks like the aviator enjoys a reputation for not being a trouble free machine.

It has left me stranded more than twice on the high way. And believe me pushing it all the way to the nearby garage is not all that easy. Thanks to some friendly neighborhood mechanics, they got my vehicle towed to their garage. On inspection it was found that my carb had a faulty float pin. Got it replaced and things were fine for sometime.

Recently at the 5000 km mark, it again got notorious. Every time I put the vehicle on the side stand, the fuel would bleed under the chasis. Got a local mechanic to inspect the vehicle, who found it to be a problem with the carb again and got it cleaned. Just hoping that I face no such instances anymore.

You must be wondering as to why I have never taken my vehicle to the Honda ASC. Well, it was during my very first service that the ASC broke the under seat storage lock and never game me replacement for that. Finally had to fight it out and get a different lock for it. As in now i have to carry two keys with me every time. One for the ignition and the other one for the under seat storage

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th April 2011 at 15:48.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 13:46   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, had the chance to take my Rodeo out on a short highway trip of about 30kms. First of all,was extremely pleased with the performance of the scooter. Very very comfortable maintaining 80-85kmph on the speedo, though I think there must be atleast a 8-10% error in that reading.

Top speed on the speedo was 103kmph, with the tachometer( the only scoot I know which has one ) doing 7500rpm. It seems like the Rodeo has a rev-limiter at 7500rpm, as once it hit that mark the reading was bouncing off the 7500rpm mark, falling down to 5 or 6 thousand and then rebounding. Though in reality I doubt the revs were falling below even the 7000rpm mark. Unbelievably enough she was still smooth even at 7500rpm, it didnt feel like it was straining at all, and probably could have gone higher were it not for the limiter.
Closed Thread