Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2011, 14:11   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Urgent: Fuel Leak Problem from Mahindra Flyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why weren't these batch of Flytes being recalled for replacement of the fuel tank.
The service center personnel said that they are replacing the tanks only when the customers are facing issues and not every one was facing issues was their version. But we definitely did and i think mail4lloys on the forum also had a similar issue. Not very sure. 3 other Flyte owners whom I knew also faced issues and their tanks were replaced under warranty without any questions being asked by the ASC

Quote:
Also one thing which I was wondering is that how the tank leaks when filled half or less which means the leak is above the half mark I guess and not from anywhere at the bottom of the tank. What would cause such a leak?
In Flyte, due to the front fuel filling system, they have designed the tank in 2 halves, the top half and the bottom half. The bottom half is the regular tank as in all scoots but the top half is somewhere from the fuel filler till the regular tank. This top half was where the problem was. Hence if its filled to the brim, it starts to leak. There is also an indication in the Fuel Gauge in the old Flyte for the top tank and bottom tank. I could have shared a pic but we don't have the vehicle with us anymore.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 14:14   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhivan,

Thanks for the piece of information. Find it really strange to have two halves in a tank. So when they replaced the tank, I guess the new tank would again have two sections or is it different from the original. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:18   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
There is also an indication in the Fuel Gauge in the old Flyte for the top tank and bottom tank. I could have shared a pic but we don't have the vehicle with us anymore.
My Flyte does not have this indicator, as it was one of the earlier versions. The first few batches did not have this kind of fuel indicator.

The sad part for me is that the bike was used only for 1700 kms so far, and I am facing this issue. I had bought Flyte seeing the features it had, most importantly the front fuelling, but sadly this feature is causing the maximum nuisance now.

My sister in law bought a Scooty Pep which has conventional everything, but everything work fine on it.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:12   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
...So when they replaced the tank, I guess the new tank would again have two sections or is it different from the original. Please correct me if I am wrong.
It looked exactly similar from the outside. But the ASC person said that there were some changes to design internally. Not sure what that meant but the good thing was that it did make a difference and there was no leakage after the replacement.

Out of the other 3 owners whom i knew, one of them had to get the tank replaced twice. The replaced tank started leaking about 2 days after and he got it replaced again after which the issue was solved!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
My Flyte does not have this indicator, as it was one of the earlier versions. The first few batches did not have this kind of fuel indicator.
Ours was a May2008 model. It was not a separate indicator or anything. It was in the same indicator just a writing on the top which said top tank. I am searching the web for an image but the websense in office is not allowing me to open certain images. Will try and post one from home.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:32   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Ours was a May2008 model. It was not a separate indicator or anything. It was in the same indicator just a writing on the top which said top tank. I am searching the web for an image but the websense in office is not allowing me to open certain images. Will try and post one from home.
I know what you mean, I have seen these in other Flytes when I took mine for service.

Found pics on the net for the normal fuel indicator as well as the one with the top tank. Interestingly Google Image search returned this thread on team-bhp.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0-kms-odo.html (Kinetic Flyte experience :first Service report(now 10000 Kms in Odo) !)
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-speedo.jpg  

Attached Images

basilmabraham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 15:36   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found pics on the net for the normal fuel indicator as well as the one with the top tank. Interestingly Google Image search returned this thread on team-bhp.
Bang on!! The top tank that they indicate in the fuel indicator was the one with the issues in the early 2008 models.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:06   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhivan,

Thanks for the piece of information. Find it really strange to have two halves in a tank. So when they replaced the tank, I guess the new tank would again have two sections or is it different from the original. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The new tank also has two sections. I heard that they had changed the way the two tanks were connected. The bottom tank had all the issues due to the placement of the tank it is just under the footboard . Any bump and hit on the front bottom will damage the fuel tank .

Quote:
My Flyte is Mar 2008 and it doesn't have the two tank indication

Quote:
But we definitely did and i think mail4lloys on the forum also had a similar issue.
My bike's fuel tank was broken near the bottom tanks neck (might have got hit on something). It was replaced outside warranty and it costed me Rs 1200/- for the tank. (in chennai)

Quote:
Bang on!! The top tank that they indicate in the fuel indicator was the one with the issues in the early 2008 models.
Yes, i had few of my friends reporting it as well.

Last edited by mail4loys : 4th May 2011 at 20:08.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:21   #1613
Team-BHP Support

Quick update on the Flyte fuel leak reported yesterday: we managed to reach the service centre after calling up Mahindra 2Wh Service Helpline 1-800-223-8883. The dealer we used to interact with has shut shop, no wonder we couldn't get through! The service manager that my wife spoke to told her that most probably the petrol pump guys had "overfilled" the tank and hence it was leaking- nothing to worry, she could start it and let them know if there is any other problem. Silly explanation but at least she got the confidence to start it and bring it home where it is currently under observation. My suspicion is that the top tank is ruptured and since we have never topped up the tank this is the first time we are observing this leakage. The solution is that either Mahindra replace the top tank under warranty when we hand it in next or that we just ignore the problema and keep filling in 100/- worth of fuel everytime!

Edit: @bblost- yup. Get your point. Will report it in the next servicing for sure.

Last edited by noopster : 5th May 2011 at 14:26.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:23   #1614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The solution is that either Mahindra replace the top tank under warranty when we hand it in next or that we just ignore the problema and keep filling in 100/- worth of fuel everytime!
Bad idea to ignore the problem.
What if the hole becomes bigger and bigger and one fine day the bike falls down?
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 15:28   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
.....The solution is that either Mahindra replace the top tank under warranty when we hand it in next...
Don't let it go lightly. Demand that the tank be replaced under warranty and it will be the full tank replacement i think as they will not do only the top tank. And once its done, fill it to the brim near the service center itself and check for any leakages. All the best!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 06:36   #1616
Senior - BHPian

I have a Mahindra Rodeo, which is basically a souped up Flyte. It uses the same tank design as the Flyte.

I have always filled her upto the brim, regularly filling 200rs worth of petrol in the tank, but have never faced such an issue with fuel leaks. Only bugging thing is, the top tank does not show in the fuel gauge. Meaning till the top tank empties out, the fuel meter stays at full.

Anyway, what they mean by the top tank is basically just the plastic tubing that connects the filler at the top to the main tank below the footboard. But as the tubing itself can hold about half a litre of fuel, that's why they call it a top tank.
Old 6th May 2011, 08:27   #1617
BHPian

So, I went to a nearby battery store last week and told them to recharge the battery. When returning it back, they told me that the battery was weak and won't last much longer and also it was out of it's warranty period (15 months). Finally, after 3 days the battery again went kaput. Went there and got a new AMCO Battery for Rs. 900/- (got a 50 bucks discount for returning the old one as scrap). I had expected the Exide to last at least for 30 months, but it just lasted 19 months.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:46   #1618
BHPian

I require a gearless scooter, my hunt since the past one moth is not showing results. Would appreciate if bhpians could help me with gearless scooter around them being put up for sale. I stay in mumbai. You could PM me for my number.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:46   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I have a Mahindra Rodeo, which is basically a souped up Flyte. It uses the same tank design as the Flyte.
Probably the souping up also involved ensuring the right tank design though they claim to have fixed it in the 2009 models. The issues were observed in the 2008 models only and a few of the 2009 models. After that i think they pulled themselves together and sorted it out.

great explanation of the top tank! Cheers!

@prateek - Not disagreeing with you but how did you arrive at the 30 month figure? In my RTR the battery is an Exide and it is still in the prime of its health after 32 months. This is only with regular maintenance and kick starting of the bike in the mornings during the first start. After that its all ES.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:32   #1620
BHPian

Just called up Om Sai Honda, Malad. The waiting period for Honda Activa is 11-12 months
Closed Thread