Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 09:26   #1681
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Excuse Me!!!

They are asking you to pay for suspension which has gone bad in 3thousand kms!!!!

Did you take her out for a ride on the moon or something???

I wouldnt pay a single rupee. Tomorrow they will say the engine seized at 5000kms because of bad quality fuel in India.

Last edited by julupani : 8th July 2011 at 09:27.
julupani is offline  
Old 8th July 2011, 10:53   #1682
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Angry Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Excuse Me!!!

They are asking you to pay for suspension which has gone bad in 3thousand kms!!!!

Did you take her out for a ride on the moon or something???

I wouldnt pay a single rupee. Tomorrow they will say the engine seized at 5000kms because of bad quality fuel in India.
Even I was surprised when I was told about the suspensions. And the strangest part is it is not covered under warranty. As per Honda people, I will have to first get the suspensions replaced and then Honda will send it to the suspension vendor for claim which would take somewhere around 4-5 weeks to get a confirmation for a claim. If accepted then the paid amount would be refunded. But according to Honda the suspension manufacturer entertain claims suspension failure due to oil leakage only and no other reason.

Regarding the moon ride, the roads in Thane would put even the moon to shame. I can guarantee that.

Can this suspension replacement be claimed by Insurance?
ghodlur is offline  
Old 8th July 2011, 11:28   #1683
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Even I was surprised when I was told about the suspensions. And the strangest part is it is not covered under warranty. As per Honda people, I will have to first get the suspensions replaced and then Honda will send it to the suspension vendor for claim which would take somewhere around 4-5 weeks to get a confirmation for a claim. If accepted then the paid amount would be refunded. But according to Honda the suspension manufacturer entertain claims suspension failure due to oil leakage only and no other reason.

Regarding the moon ride, the roads in Thane would put even the moon to shame. I can guarantee that.

Can this suspension replacement be claimed by Insurance?

My take is that Julupani is right. 3 thousand kms is too less for the suspension to have gone kaput. The dealers/Honda is taking you for a royal ride. It may be a wear/tear component, but it is definitely covered under warranty. That way, every component is outsourced to a different vendor, Honda only assembles the unit, does that mean that for every different vendor, a seperate warranty coverage is given? Meters are by 1 guy, seat is by different guy, suspension is by someone else, wheels r by someone else, carbeurettor is by someone else, belt-train is by someone else, sparkplug is made by someone else. We need to be given 200 warranty cards for every part in the scooter!

My suggestion is to threaten them that you'll take them to the consumer courts, then they'll tow the line. They also try these tactics because most consumers will simply listen to them and no bother about these malpractices, or simply they dont have the time.

Also, get their refund "process" in writing before you proceed. In most probability, they won't give it in writing. Insurance might cover it, and if it does, then get it replaced under insurance, coz you are paying for it anyway. After that its the insurance company's headache to get their refund.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 8th July 2011 at 11:33.
prajwalkashyap is offline  
Old 8th July 2011, 11:36   #1684
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
My take is that Julupani is right. 3 thousand kms is too less for the suspension to have gone kaput. The dealers/Honda is taking you for a royal ride. It may be a wear/tear component, but it is definitely covered under warranty. That way, every component is outsourced to a different vendor, Honda only assembles the unit, does that mean that for every different vendor, a seperate warranty coverage is given? Meters are by 1 guy, seat is by different guy, suspension is by someone else, wheels r by someone else, carbeurettor is by someone else, belt-train is by someone else, sparkplug is made by someone else. We need to be given 200 warranty cards for every part in the scooter!

My suggestion is to threaten them that you'll take them to the consumer courts, then they'll tow the line. They also try these tactics because most consumers will simply listen to them and no bother about these malpractices, or simply they dont have the time.

Prajwal
Even I was livid with the thought of Honda acting this way. I refered to the manual warranty section and they have mentioned that suspension, speedometer etc are subject to claims acceptance by the manufacturer and then only replaced by Honda. I was also told that the warranty is mainly for the engine with some spares thrown in.

I am planning to write to Honda on their website asking for an explanation since I did not get any reassurance from the owner of the dealership to whom I explained the situation.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 8th July 2011, 12:40   #1685
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I refered to the manual warranty section and they have mentioned that suspension, speedometer etc are subject to claims acceptance by the manufacturer and then only replaced by Honda. I was also told that the warranty is mainly for the engine with some spares thrown in.
This is correct. This is one of the main reasons why I did not opt for extended warranty when we bought the Dio in 2009. They cover only engine related components and rest are subject to claim acceptance by respective vendor. Very cheap tactic by Honda to say the least!
abhinav.s is offline  
Old 8th July 2011, 16:49   #1686
BHPian
 
the-rare-one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 85
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Have booked a geny grey Honda Activa with Pashankar Auto, JM Road Pune. (4th July 2011, Full payment, delivery expected in 2 months)

The choice was obvious after:

a. TVS Wego: good pickup and ride quality but is short on space - heck even the scooty pep has better legspace / floor (I did see the model without the front lockable storage, but could not convince myself more)

b. Mahindra Rodeo: A close friend has it and he is unhappy with the below average mileage he gets on his Rodeo. Its fun ride with that pickup though - good power. (Did not consider the Duro after this)

c. Suzuki Access 125: Drove my friends ride 2 times to and fro from home to office (50 kms one side). Very stable, not so refined but comparatively smooth engine. Somehow still did not click.

d. Honda Activa: My bro-in-law has it and I have used it n number of times. Absolutely butter smooth, consistent mileage (gets 48-50km/lit) and overall good service. Zero niggles in 4 years.

So the Honda Activa it is ! Wait is ON
the-rare-one is offline  
Old 8th July 2011, 20:23   #1687
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
So the Honda Activa it is ! Wait is ON
Congrats on the booking. What is the wait period currently for an Activa?

Did you consider Aviator which has the same but better shocks up front and also rides better due to bigger front wheel. It should also be available faster than Activa in most cities.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 12:14   #1688
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thane (Dombivili)
Posts: 37
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Hi Gurus....

I wanted to have some information on my new Activa run-in period (1k kms). Till now I have clocked close to 200 kms. Manual has information abt service intervals. I want to know that other than information mentioned in manual what steps are taken to ensure smooth run-in. I mean engine oil to be changed, engine additives to be mixed with Petrol , which additives to be used

One more thing, as i said earlier I have attached 2 extra wheels for sake of balancing, the guys who did this job have put tyres which are of different thread. They do not match with scooters original tyres. Will this create any issues with handling..??
Sanyd1711 is offline  
Old 11th July 2011, 13:25   #1689
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanyd1711 View Post
Hi Gurus....

I wanted to have some information on my new Activa run-in period (1k kms). Till now I have clocked close to 200 kms. Manual has information abt service intervals. I want to know that other than information mentioned in manual what steps are taken to ensure smooth run-in. I mean engine oil to be changed, engine additives to be mixed with Petrol , which additives to be used

One more thing, as i said earlier I have attached 2 extra wheels for sake of balancing, the guys who did this job have put tyres which are of different thread. They do not match with scooters original tyres. Will this create any issues with handling..??
Regarding the engine oil change it is clearly mentioned in the free service coupons at the back side. The engine oil is changed twice a year. There is absolutely no need to add any additives, Honda clearly says so in the manual too. Normal petrol is sufficient, no need of Speed or premium and likes.

Did you get the wheels (all 4) balanced after the modification was done? Also is the extra tyres of the same size as the scooter originals? If so there will be no issues with the handling if all the wheels are balanced. One question though, have you enquired with Honda whether the load limits for the scooter has changed post the modification?
ghodlur is offline  
Old 11th July 2011, 14:31   #1690
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thane (Dombivili)
Posts: 37
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Regarding the engine oil change it is clearly mentioned in the free service coupons at the back side. The engine oil is changed twice a year. There is absolutely no need to add any additives, Honda clearly says so in the manual too. Normal petrol is sufficient, no need of Speed or premium and likes.

Did you get the wheels (all 4) balanced after the modification was done? Also is the extra tyres of the same size as the scooter originals? If so there will be no issues with the handling if all the wheels are balanced. One question though, have you enquired with Honda whether the load limits for the scooter has changed post the modification?
Thanks Ghodlur.

Yes, all 4 are balanced while doing modification. I don't know if you are saying Wheel balancing with Car context. Once again, Yes the extra wheels are of the same size as originals.

Regarding Load limits, I dont know if it will make any difference...or will it ??

You can guide me with this.
Sanyd1711 is offline  
Old 11th July 2011, 15:00   #1691
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanyd1711 View Post
Thanks Ghodlur.

Yes, all 4 are balanced while doing modification. I don't know if you are saying Wheel balancing with Car context. Once again, Yes the extra wheels are of the same size as originals.

Regarding Load limits, I dont know if it will make any difference...or will it ??

You can guide me with this.
Normally the scooter comes with wheel balancing done but after modification (addition) its always better to get them balanced again. Better to be safe.

The standard load limit of Activa with rider and pillion and all accesories and other weight is 170 kgs. Now with addtional load on the scooter after modification, you might not be able to carry 170 kgs, it will be surely less than that. Honda can give you the exact load limit not to exceed.

I hope you must have done the antirust underbody coating for the modification too.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 11th July 2011, 15:13   #1692
BHPian
 
the-rare-one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 85
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on the booking. What is the wait period currently for an Activa?

Did you consider Aviator which has the same but better shocks up front and also rides better due to bigger front wheel. It should also be available faster than Activa in most cities.
@Abhinav: Thanks. The said waiting period is between 6 months, but people are getting the scoots delivered anywhere between 4-6 months.

I did consider Aviator. It is equally good if not better than Activa, but wify had rejected it outright, and I could not dare to go beyond .
the-rare-one is offline  
Old 11th July 2011, 20:35   #1693
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
I did consider Aviator. It is equally good if not better than Activa, but wify had rejected it outright, and I could not dare to go beyond .
Well if she is the primary user, then her selection ought to take precedence. But the only thing with the Activa/Dio is the front suspension. Its totally useless on potholed roads and tires the hell out of you even on a short city stint.

My wife too was not happy with Aviator but not coz of the looks but since she is vertically challenged. She later realized that front telescopic shocks would have been better after using the Dio for a year and half.
abhinav.s is offline  
Old 11th July 2011, 21:56   #1694
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
@Abhinav: Thanks. The said waiting period is between 6 months, but people are getting the scoots delivered anywhere between 4-6 months.

I did consider Aviator. It is equally good if not better than Activa, but wify had rejected it outright, and I could not dare to go beyond .
I had very recently enquired with Druvdesh at Mekhri circle and they said that the waiting period is 3 months for Activa and you can somehow get it within 2 months you are ok with any color and ready to pay the cash in full.But be carefull they always say the same thing and finally delay the delivery which happened to my Dio in 2006.
rki2007 is offline  
Old 12th July 2011, 12:54   #1695
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I had very recently enquired with Druvdesh at Mekhri circle and they said that the waiting period is 3 months for Activa and you can somehow get it within 2 months .....
Well this could be becoz the-rare-one has booked it in Pune. But like you say, they might initially quote 3 months wait but after payment you dont have a choice but to wait till the vehicle arrives.
abhinav.s is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks