Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 27th September 2011, 09:34   #1801
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

18 Year old Yamaha Rx100 gets a companion! Suzuki Access 125. Loved it better than Activa!
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:00   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Lately have been having problems with my Honda Activa. Whenever the scooter is deacelarated there is noise heard Krrrrrrrrr, am unable to identify from where the noise is. The noise is heard distinctively when the speed is reduced and not during the acceleration. This has caused the scooter to get stalled on more than couple of occassions when I am trying to identufy the source of the noise. Planning to show it to the workshop during the weekend.

Has anyone faced this kind of issue before, experts advise.
Old 4th October 2011, 14:44   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Lately have been having problems with my Honda Activa. Whenever the scooter is deacelarated there is noise heard Krrrrrrrrr, am unable to identify from where the noise is. The noise is heard distinctively when the speed is reduced and not during the acceleration. This has caused the scooter to get stalled on more than couple of occassions when I am trying to identufy the source of the noise. Planning to show it to the workshop during the weekend.

Has anyone faced this kind of issue before, experts advise.
My guess is that the problem could be in one of the 2 transmission plate sets. The plates may have bent or something scrapping the belt while the belt is expanding during deceleration. I am assuming that it might be a simple alignment issue with the plates.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 15:08   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
My guess is that the problem could be in one of the 2 transmission plate sets. The plates may have bent or something scrapping the belt while the belt is expanding during deceleration. I am assuming that it might be a simple alignment issue with the plates.

Prajwal
Could be, since I already have a bent front suspension issue which I was planning to get it done during the regular servicing (will put me back by 750/-). I think the problem is now agrevated. I hope this does not burn a big hole in my pocket.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2421753 (The Gearless Scooter Thread)
Old 4th October 2011, 17:30   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

1. Visual inspection for scratches, chipped paint etc before registration.
2. Once you select the vehicle, note the engine/chassis number which is present on the same sticker with the mfg. date
3. During delivery, ensure its the same engine/chassis number vehicle that is being given to you
4. Ask the dealer to show the engine oil level and ensure its at the correct level.
5. Make sure all electrical components like horn, blinkers, electric start etc are working fine.
6. Ensure all accessories you have opted for are fitted on the bike.
On top of this I would like to add some more, which is again from this same thread and from my experience

Before Delivery:

1.Before selecting the vehicle, place it on centre stand, keep the handle bar very straight, walk 10 paces to the rear, sit on your haunches and check if both front and rear tyres are in a perfect straight line. Then do it again from the front.
This is more relevant for bikes, but no harm in checking scooters as well. This way, you can rule out a banged up & repaired vehicle or one that was dropped while being unloaded from the truck!
2. Check if there are any panel gaps, especially between the tail lamp cluster and the body.
3. Kick start the vehicle and see if it starts, if not ask the delivery guy to kick start the vehicle for you.(Most of the vehicles will not have a battery fit in them, only during the time of the delivery they fit the battery in it)

During Delivery:

Make sure you go there early so that you can see your vehicle in daylight and be ready to wait another 1 hour or so at the minimum as they start fitting the accessories only at the time of delivery.

1. Check the tyre pressure - most probably it will either be ridiculously low or high.

2. Check the engine oil level and the amount of fuel in the tank- mostly you will have enough to get your scooter going to the nearest fuel pump say within 2 kms

3. Check the fitment of the accessories like rear view mirrors (ladies stand and crash guard etc if you have opted for one), I had my rear view mirror in my hand when I tried to adjust the view at the time of delivery.

4. Use the self start to see if it works properly. Leave the vehicle idling for a few minutes to see the motor spinning smoothly, if it stalls then there might be an issue.

5. If possible check the headlamp level against a wall and adjust it.

Documentation:

1. Ensure that you get a English Manual for the vehicle, I got one in Hindi which is of no use to me.

2. The chassis # and the engine # that you noted should match the ones given in the Insurance and registration documents of the delivery vehicle.

Most importantly don't ever go for a Honda Vehicle. You will have to wait 3-6 months to get a bad vehicle(In my case it was 1) which is backed up by equally pathetic A.S.S.

I had problems with my dad's aviator ever since we got it during march. It wouldn't simply start, either with kick start or thorugh the electric starter.

Till now the issues we sorted are
1. the battery has conked off and after 5 months of struggle, was replaced just some time back.
2. some pully in the kick start mechanism was damaged and was replaced at my cost.
3. Brake cable conked off and was replaced.

now the vehicle won't pull cleanly, it struggles to pull beyond 40.

Don't know what else is in store for us.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 20:24   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
On top of this I would like to add some more, which is again from this same thread and from my experience

now the vehicle won't pull cleanly, it struggles to pull beyond 40.

Don't know what else is in store for us.

Nice comprehensive list Rajeswaran.

Regarding your vehicle not pulling cleanly, get the air filter cleaned.
Check the carb to see if there is dust/grime in it.
Empty the fuel in the tank and check for any water content in the fuel.

In general, Honda scooters are not bad. We had a Honda Dio for a year and half and it ran without any issues. The Honda A.S.S is a totally different horror story in Bangalore near my house. The only grouse with the Activa/Dio twins is their front suspension which is very bad and transfers all the shocks on the road to the shoulders of the rider. Aviator is better in this department.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:32   #1807
Senior - BHPian

My daughters Suzuki Access has completed 7500 kms on the odo in the past 15 months, and it runs like a dream even now.

Even the early morning start has always been a push-button start, though around 2% of the time when I use it, I do kick-start it.

The F.E continues to hover between 40 to 45, depeding on traffic. What impresses me the most is the ground clearance: even when riding doubles, it does not bottom out on speed-breakers. In contrast, my Kinetic Honda and my neighbour's Activa have big time issues on this front.

To cut a long story short, we are quite happy with the Access.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:59   #1808
BHPian

Request help with Honda Aviator PDI tips:

Hi Fellow Team BHPians,

I had booked a Honda Aviator for my dad who was finding it difficult to manage the geared bike in city traffic. The waiting period for an Aviator in Bangalore is about 20-25 days. After going through this waiting period, I got a call on Saturday, 8th Oct'11 stating that my bike has been allotted and is scheduled for RTO registration on 10th Oct'11 which is today. However this morning I got another call from the showroom and was told that they would do the registration at an RTO which does not have any jurisdiction to the locality I reside!

After hearing this I questioned them as to why they were doing that and got a rather ill-logical answer about the option of doing the registration in any RTO irrespective of the locality. I felt something was not right and immediately asked them to hold back the vehicle and not send it out for registration as I wanted to inspect it.

I then went to the showroom and asked the concerned person to show me my vehicle. There was some confusion about the vehicle, which made my suspicion stronger. But then after a little running here and there, the sales exec returned with a Chassis No. that was allotted to me. Thanks to the other threads on Team BHP, I checked for the Chassis No., Engine No. and the Bar Code which states the date the bike was dispatched. Then checked the Odometer which had barely clocked 1.9 kms. After which I was satisfied and then asked them to proceed with the registration.

Having gone through this experience I had a few questions that I wanted to check on this forum:

1. Have any of you had the same experience as above and did I do the right thing by taking note of the Chassis and Engine No.?

2. Is there any way I can find out the manufacturing date of the bike, just like how we can do it for any car?

3. Do you have any PDI tips for Honda Aviator and specific suggestions / advice that I need to keep in mind at the time of taking delivery?

Appreciate if you can please help me with the above questions.

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
Old 10th October 2011, 20:11   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
3. Do you have any PDI tips for Honda Aviator and specific suggestions / advice that I need to keep in mind at the time of taking delivery?
In a few previous posts the PDI for bikes is listed. Have quoted the portion with the tips below. Hope it helps. And congrats on the Aviator booking

You did the right thing by noting down the Chassis no. but you should also inspect the bike before it is registered as outlined below. Give the go ahead only after you are fully satisfied for the registration.

And the manufacturing date should be present on the bike in a sticker with the bar code. If not the sales rep should be able to explain it and show you the proof of the date of mfg. of the bike.

Quote:

Before Delivery:

1.Before selecting the vehicle, place it on centre stand, keep the handle bar very straight, walk 10 paces to the rear, sit on your haunches and check if both front and rear tyres are in a perfect straight line. Then do it again from the front.
This is more relevant for bikes, but no harm in checking scooters as well. This way, you can rule out a banged up & repaired vehicle or one that was dropped while being unloaded from the truck!
2. Check if there are any panel gaps, especially between the tail lamp cluster and the body.
3. Kick start the vehicle and see if it starts, if not ask the delivery guy to kick start the vehicle for you.(Most of the vehicles will not have a battery fit in them, only during the time of the delivery they fit the battery in it)

During Delivery:

Make sure you go there early so that you can see your vehicle in daylight and be ready to wait another 1 hour or so at the minimum as they start fitting the accessories only at the time of delivery.

1. Check the tyre pressure - most probably it will either be ridiculously low or high.

2. Check the engine oil level and the amount of fuel in the tank- mostly you will have enough to get your scooter going to the nearest fuel pump say within 2 kms

3. Check the fitment of the accessories like rear view mirrors (ladies stand and crash guard etc if you have opted for one), I had my rear view mirror in my hand when I tried to adjust the view at the time of delivery.

4. Use the self start to see if it works properly. Leave the vehicle idling for a few minutes to see the motor spinning smoothly, if it stalls then there might be an issue.

5. If possible check the headlamp level against a wall and adjust it.

Documentation:

1. Ensure that you get a English Manual for the vehicle, I got one in Hindi which is of no use to me.

2. The chassis # and the engine # that you noted should match the ones given in the Insurance and registration documents of the delivery vehicle.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 10th October 2011 at 20:14.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 20:25   #1810
BHPian

@abhinav.s - Thanks a lot Abhinav really appreciate your help with the tips. I couldn't check the Before Delivery tips, wish I had posted these question earlier in the forum

Hope the bike I'm getting does not have any glitches. Will definitely go through the During Delivery tips as mentioned in your post.

Thanks once again! Cheers
Old 11th October 2011, 18:34   #1811
Oxy
BHPian

I have a Honda Dio clocked 9200 kms. It's fun to ride, but I would have definitely preferred a Suzuki Access over it. But at that time, the waiting period of the Access put me off (3 months).

My second preference was the Activa, but since this was for my wife, had to settle for her choice. Moreover, you don't get the pink colour on the new Activa, so she settled for a pink/grey combo coloured Dio.
Old 11th October 2011, 19:03   #1812
BHPian

Question about TVS Wego

Off late my wife has been complaining about a shaky handle bar on the Wego which is about a year old and has clocked about 9k kms on the odometer.

I just took it out for a short ride today and had the shock of my life! Usually my wife is so good with her command over the English language that I sometimes fail to gauge the magnitude of her comments. So I never really gave attention to when said "the handle bar is shaky!" thinking its one of her over exaggerated statements.

But only when I took her for a short spin and applied the front brakes I realized that there are times she actually doesn't exaggerate. I almost felt like the handle bar is going to come apart any moment I just continue braking for a some more distance.

I believe the issue seems to be with the front forks and shock absorbers. There is also squeeky noises coming from from the front breaks.

Can any of you please tell me if this is a normal occurrence with a 1yr old Wego run in Bangalore ORR traffic conditions and clocked about 9k kms?

I'm not sure if we ended up with a lemon which is showing up after a year of usage or whether its a inherent defect with the TVS wego?
Old 11th October 2011, 22:17   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But only when I took her for a short spin and applied the front brakes I realized that there are times she actually doesn't exaggerate. I almost felt like the handle bar is going to come apart any moment I just continue braking for a some more distance.

I believe the issue seems to be with the front forks and shock absorbers. There is also squeeky noises coming from from the front breaks.

Can any of you please tell me if this is a normal occurrence with a 1yr old Wego run in Bangalore ORR traffic conditions and clocked about 9k kms?

I'm not sure if we ended up with a lemon which is showing up after a year of usage or whether its a inherent defect with the TVS wego?
Take it to the dealership and have them fix it up. It should be under warranty. Looks like the steering head bearings.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 22:28   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question about TVS Wego

Off late my wife has been complaining about a shaky handle bar on the Wego which is about a year old and has clocked about 9k kms on the odometer.

I just took it out for a short ride today and had the shock of my life! Usually my wife is so good with her command over the English language that I sometimes fail to gauge the magnitude of her comments. So I never really gave attention to when said "the handle bar is shaky!" thinking its one of her over exaggerated statements.

If the juddering of the handle bar take place only when you apply the front brake at speeds above 30 kmph then i have the same issue with my mothers Flyte. The problem is with the brake drums.If they are defective the brake shoe wears off unevenly and dont apply uniform pressure when pressed.Replacing the drum is the only option. First take it to a local mechanic and check whether the brake shoe has uneven wear on the either halves. If so,the drums are the culprit and nothing else.If not,then you can proceed to forks and steering bearings
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 10:36   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Are parts for Suzuki Access easily available in outside market?
I think there is some rear suspension/ shocker related issue - based on the ride quality experienced at the moment.
We will be taking the bike to the service center for regular servicing and get this checked. I read a few posts above that the cost for shocked for Activa is Rs. 750.
Closed Thread