Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2012, 14:53   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

@n.devdath: If the Suzuki service center is not very close by, then that would be a negative factor that you cannot overlook. The bike has to be serviced every 60 days and is really painful in that sense. We have an Access since March 2011 and that is the most irritating aspect of the two-wheeler.
10 months, 2600KM of running and 5 services already done.
Each service cost is around Rs. 250 (average). If engine oil is replaced, then the cost is around Rs. 200 more.

In all other respects Access is good. I have heard good reviews for TVS and Mahindra scooters as well, but no first hand experience.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:23   #1877
BHPian

I thought Honda will launch Vision 110 in Auto Expo (2012). Instead it has launched new Dio (I agree its bold and stylish) with enhanced 110cc engine and tubeless tyres.
I might take a look at it.
But any idea if Vision 110 is planned to be launched further down the line? or its plan for India is completely scrapped?
I waited for more than 3 months for launch of Vision - for the 14 inch tyres, telescopic suspension and fuel injection - but now completely disappointed. :(
Old 12th January 2012, 13:53   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I m looking for a gearless scooter for my wife who is 5.1. I prefer something with larger wheels to better traverse Blore speedbreakers and potholes but I guess the Aviator is too high for her. She manages on an Activa but it is as common as the flu.

Are the Activa/Dio the best gearless scooters around or are there any other choices that can be considered like the Wego for example?

Priorities are her low height, ride comfort, reliability and rattle free ownership.
If you have some more time to wait till March-April you can also look at the re launch of Vespa range of gearless scooters by Piaggio. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2012-a.html

These are true classics selling all over the world and would surely cover all your priorities. Talking about ride height, it is a personal choice and one must decide by test riding each option. In the options already available, Wego is certainly a good choice and must tick all the criterias.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:13   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Hi Guys,
Gave my Aviator for 2nd service today with ODO on 1933.
3. "jaaaarrrrr" sound coming
4. A single "tak" sound .
5. "Thak Thak" sound
6. "Jhan Jhan" sound coming
Could'nt help but notice, your scooter sounds like a musical concert.
I hope they were able to resolve your 2 pending issues. A mileage of 40 is respectable on a new scoot. It usually picks up after the 3rd/ 4th service.

Edit:My Wego gave me 47.5 litres in the last fill with the tankful to tankful method. This is with sparse usage mostly for local rounds to the market or town in Bangalore. I am happy with this.

Last edited by hrman : 12th January 2012 at 14:19.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:45   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Could'nt help but notice, your scooter sounds like a musical concert.
I hope they were able to resolve your 2 pending issues. A mileage of 40 is respectable on a new scoot. It usually picks up after the 3rd/ 4th service.

Edit:My Wego gave me 47.5 litres in the last fill with the tankful to tankful method. This is with sparse usage mostly for local rounds to the market or town in Bangalore. I am happy with this.
Very Funny hrman .
Still they are pending. Didn't get the time to visit the service center again.

Thats a good mileage you got. How old is your scoot?

Mine gave 43.5 on last tankfull.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:29   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Very Funny hrman .
Still they are pending. Didn't get the time to visit the service center again.

Thats a good mileage you got. How old is your scoot?

Mine gave 43.5 on last tankfull.
You have got pretty decent mileage yourself. My wego is 9 months old. Run 1500 kms and done the 4th service just this week.
Old 13th January 2012, 12:32   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
These are true classics selling all over the world and would surely cover all your priorities. Talking about ride height, it is a personal choice and one must decide by test riding each option. In the options already available, Wego is certainly a good choice and must tick all the criterias.
Thank you Girish. In fact, I m an ex Vespa owner and have been extremely satisfied with it for the entire period of my ownership. I will certainly wait till April and keep an eye on their launches.

Speaking of the Wega, on what aspects is it better than the Activa/Dio and the Access?
Old 13th January 2012, 13:12   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Girish. In fact, I m an ex Vespa owner and have been extremely satisfied with it for the entire period of my ownership. I will certainly wait till April and keep an eye on their launches.

Speaking of the Wega, on what aspects is it better than the Activa/Dio and the Access?
Larger wheels, good brakes, better suspension, good ride height (personal preference), Better handling due to larger wheels, got mobile charger point.

I also find the kick start to be placed better and I don't have to walk behind the scoot to kick it like i need to on the Activa. Not sure of the Access.

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 13th January 2012, 13:52   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Larger wheels, good brakes, better suspension, good ride height (personal preference), Better handling due to larger wheels, got mobile charger point. I also find the kick start to be placed better and I don't have to walk behind the scoot to kick it like i need to on the Activa. Not sure of the Access
One more - As the fuel tank cap is located just behind the seat, you don't have to get off the bike and lift the seat to fill fuel.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th January 2012, 19:30   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Larger wheels, good brakes, better suspension, good ride height (personal preference), Better handling due to larger wheels, got mobile charger point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
One more - As the fuel tank cap is located just behind the seat, you don't have to get off the bike and lift the seat to fill fuel.
Apart from these, how is the performance between the Wego and the Activa/Dio and the Access?
What about the FE, build quality, rattle free ownership experience and most of all, maintenance costs?
Old 13th January 2012, 19:46   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the FE, build quality, rattle free ownership experience and most of all, maintenance costs?
If you check the reviews a few pages back, Wego is returning some very good mileage figures in the range of 47-48kmpl. Our 2010 Dio in comparison was giving around 37-39kmpl in city traffic. Being TVS the spares cost are relatively less and service (from RTR180 experience) is leagues ahead compared to Honda. (Dio experience)

Quote:
Apart from these, how is the performance between the Wego and the Activa/Dio and the Access?
By performance, what exactly are you looking for?

Wego pulls cleanly even with 2 on board which the Dio was doing as well albeit a bit out of breath on inclines. Apart from that the suspension is well sorted and you feel like you are riding a motorcycle and not a scoot. Weight balance is also done well and you wont feel either a front/side bias. GC is good and wont scrape any speed breakers. Suspension does a good job of ironing out the pot holes etc which was the Achilles heel (i think it still is) of the Dio and Activa due to their dated design front shocks.

Let us know what your criteria for performance is and owners might be able to shed more light.
Old 13th January 2012, 19:59   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
By performance, what exactly are you looking for?
Thank you for your detailed answer.
By performance, I mean drivability with 2 on board, acceleration from a stand still, ability to climb inclines from a standstill with 2 on board and braking.
Old 13th January 2012, 20:18   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
do we have any concrete news on the all new Dio? The one whsoe clay model was seen at the Expo? Sorry, if this is already being discussed as I am not aware of it, logging here after a real long time.

Regards.
Old 13th January 2012, 20:19   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By performance, I mean drivability with 2 on board, acceleration from a stand still, ability to climb inclines from a standstill with 2 on board and braking.
Actual Wego owners can shed light. Below is my experience.

Honda Dio: 2010 Jan to 2010 Dec (Sold it later as wife was no longer using it)

- Have traveled as a pillion and felt uncomfy after short ride of about 15-20 mins. I am 6ft tall and could be one reason as wife who is 5'1 never complained. I always preferred to ride than be a pillion. Battery was good after around 11 months of usage. Cold starts were always a problem. Potholes and Dio dont like each other. Everything that the front wheel goes on, you can feel it in the shoulder. This tends to tire out the rider even on relatively short rides in the city. Same feedback from wifey as well that it is very tiring. I feel jittery after taking it to about 60kmph on the speedo. Brakes are not very reassuring though they do their job.

With either of us riding the scoot, it used to pull effortlessly from stand still. Inclines were a bit of challenge if your momentum is reduced but it still manages to climb the incline without struggling like the lesser cc Scooty pep/pep+

Suzuki Access: My cousin sis owns one from the initial lot when released.

- Very peppy and never felt out of breath. She is a little on the heavier side (i guess u get the drift) and still with both of us on board, it used to perform flawlessly. I felt a tad better on the pillion seat compared to our Dio. Engine sounded coarse though. She started having cold start problem after a year. But still going strong after about 2+ years i think and engine has not lost its pep (not sure how many kms it has run). Suspension is good and you dont feel the potholes as much as you do on the Dio/Activa. Had very good pick up being 125cc. Brakes are adequate.

TVS Wego: Colleague owns one in office.

- Had to visit the TVS showroom which was 6kms from office. I rode as pillion on the onward journey and rider during backward journey. So this opinion is based on a short 6kms ride in heavy traffic. Pillion comfort was so-so again but 6kms was alright. It was pulling effortlessly and never felt strained. Engine was very refined (had run 2150kms on the odo). During the ride, i felt it was very easily controllable and never had the jittery feeling i get when on Dio. Refinement was as is when riding as well. Never felt it was struggling to pick up during the ride. Got an open stretch of about 300mts on the way back. Took it upto around 65kmph on the speedo. No drama, no jitters and sure footed. Brakes are kind of progressive but can do with better bite.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 13th January 2012 at 20:22.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 20:54   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea about the Activa, Dio & Access.

I own a Wego since 4.5 months, so here goes:

FE: More than decent. Whenever I take the Wego to office, my commute takes me thru some of the most crowded roads in Pune [to give you a rough idea, it takes me 1 hour 15 mins to travel 21 kms]. In such traffic conditions, I get between 42-45 kmpl; more, if I drive like a good boy and keep the needle below 50 kmph on the rare open stretches.

Build quality, rattle free ownership etc: No rattles, no squeaks, no starting trouble in the mornings, no thunks / thumps from the suspension. Only issue I've faced is a loosening of the left foot rest [due to a missing ball bearing; planning to do a DIY fix on it tomorrow].

Maintenance: 1st service - Rs.200 odd [for the oil change], 2nd service - Rs.0, 3rd service to be done in Jan end - I foresee only the oil change charges for that service too.

Only drawback of the Wego as a probable purchase candidate for your wife is that it is quite heavy and has a tall riding position. So, if she's of petite build, you'd be better advised to consider a Scooty Pep or something similar.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th January 2012 at 20:57.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread