Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2012, 11:45   #1921
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

My Wife's TVS Streak has developed a puncture (atleast the wheel is flat). Since it is equipped with Puncture Resistant tyres are there any special precautions to be taken care for repairing it? Has anybody repaired a Puncture resistant tyres before? Please let me know your experience.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:11   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
My wife is 5' 1" and thin hence looking for something easy to handle (She is comfortable with cousin's Scooty Pep but felt little under powered)
My Wife is of similar dimensions and thus was also thinking of a pep+, but could any other scooter fit the bill and not be underpowered?? HH pleasure seat is a little too high for her.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:22   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Our Suzuki Access (driven by my wife) has completed 1 year on 10 March.
The ownership experience has been positive so far. Now Krishna motors (dealer from whom I had purchased the bike) has started a small service center. Since this is very close to my house, it has been a boon for us.

Earlier we used to travel from Yerwada to Deccan (7-8 KM) to service the scooter and it was painful to go back and collect the scooter again in the evening.

The scooter has completed around 3500 KM in one year (yes, very low running, since it is used by my wife for short distances only).

I rode it a couple of times to office recently and some short comparison with my 15 year old Zen which has completely damaged suspension setup:
1. At speeds of 50, there is lots of wind noise. Beyond that, you need to hold on the scooter tight. Slight undulations on the road is enough to unsettle the vehicle.

2. Lots of torque. Very quick acceleration. The max I did was 70 kmph and then slowed down.

3. Compared to Activa, the ride quality is really hard. If you go over undulations at speeds of 30kmph or more, you could literally fly in the air (off the seat) for a few seconds along with the vehicle.

4. No noises, or squeaks from anywhere at the moment. It has taken bad roads quite well. I don't know if Activa can take same amount of abuse, but the suspension setup is softer there.

5. Compared to a car, you need to drive slowly over pot holes, since the wheels are small and you may lose balance if you go over the pot holes.

6. It is more tiring to sit on this scooter for 10 km than it is to sit in a car for the same distance even if the car's suspension is completely gone bad. I would not recommend this for someone going long distances.

7. Service at Krishna motors was positive. The scooter seemed better (engine smoother and the nuts/bolts tightened) after servicing. This was better than Deccan Suzuki's servicing.

Concerns:
Krishna motors uses 20W40 engine oil instead of 10W40. I don't know if we should be worried about this (oil change is in the next service).

8. Still have not calculated the mileage after one year of ownership, since my wife fills up fuel and doesn't really record the odo.

9. The height of the vehicle is more and the seat is firmer compared to Activa.

10. The kick of the vehicle fell off sometime back. We purchased a new one and that came off a few days ago. Now we need to refit this one. I don't know what is wrong with the vehicle.

One question:
Does anyone have any experience with Xenos FW50 security system?
I saw it on my uncle's scooty the other day. I assume a lot of wiring will be cut, and I don't want that to happen.
Any personal experiences?

Last edited by S_U_N : 23rd March 2012 at 14:23.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:22   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Concerns:
Krishna motors uses 20W40 engine oil instead of 10W40. I don't know if we should be worried about this (oil change is in the next service).
What oil does the owner's manual recommend?
Old 26th March 2012, 09:41   #1925
Senior - BHPian

I don't have the manual with me at the moment, but if my memory serves me right, it was 10W40 specified in the manual.

Now, will putting in 20W40 be a problem?
Old 26th March 2012, 12:21   #1926
BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

@moderators: Though my query is specific to the Mahindra two wheelers per se, still I thought of raising my query in this thread itself, hence avoiding creation of a new threat all together. Please move as appropriate.

Hi people,

My dad currently is using TVS Max 100 bike for quite some time, but of late he is finding it difficult to handle the setup as in a bike due to his age I guess. Clutch, shifting gears, and kick starting is a bit too much for him now I think. Hence, I thought of buying him a gearless scooter. I am planning to buy a Mahindra two wheeler.
1. Duro
2. Rodeo
3. Flyte
4. Kine.

Mahindra two wheelers users please shed some light on whether, I, in the first place, should go for Mahindra, and if yes, which one, or is it better to play safe by going for the more tested and tried mopeds by Honda or TVS.

He will be using it for around 10 km ride a day and occasionally my mom might accompany him.

help me out in making the right decision
Old 26th March 2012, 14:49   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Hence, I thought of buying him a gearless scooter. I am planning to buy a Mahindra two wheeler.
Rodeo and Flyte are the same except for some digital bits in the Rodeo. They have the same engine too. Duro is out with a new DZ model which has telescopic front forks which should be better than the old set up. Kine am not sure is still being produced.

Any reason why you want Mahindra Scooters only? [Proximity of service center, previous experience etc]

If you want try your hand at other brands, get your dad to try TVS Wego, Honda Aviator, Suzuki Access. You cannot go wrong with either of these purchases as they have similar features with very slight variations in tire size, vehicle size, weight etc. Access has a 125cc engine while Aviator and Wego have 110cc engines. All the best with your purchase.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 26th March 2012 at 15:01.
Old 26th March 2012, 14:59   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Rodeo and Flyte and same except for some digital bits in the Rodeo. They have the same engine too. Duro is out with a new DZ model which has telescopic front forks which should be better than the old set up. Kine am not sure is still being produced.

Any reason why you want Mahindra Scooters only? [Proximity of service center, previous experience etc]

If you want try your hand at other brands, get your dad to try TVS Wego, Honda Aviator, Suzuki Access. You cannot go wrong with either of these purchases as they have similar features with very slight variations in tire size, vehicle size, weight etc. Access has a 125cc engine while Aviator and Wego have 110cc engines. All the best with your purchase.
An uncle of mine has a Mahindra scooter and he is the one who recommended Mahindra to my dad. I actually am a bit particular about the weight of the scooter, so considering this, which would be the best buy ? For all that I know Flyte and Rodeo could be comparitively lighter as compared to Honda Aviator or Suzuki Access. Comments
Old 26th March 2012, 15:37   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AI actually am a bit particular about the weight of the scooter, so considering this, which would be the best buy ? For all that I know Flyte and Rodeo could be comparitively lighter as compared to Honda Aviator or Suzuki Access. Comments
The kerb weight of Rodeo is 106kgs; Aviator is approx. 103kgs; Access is 109kgs and Wego is 108kgs. The only thing in favor of Wego is the body balance which ensures the weight is shared well and does not manifest itself when riding it. Get your dad to try all the scooters and let him decide which one he is comfortable with.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 17:59   #1930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An uncle of mine has a Mahindra scooter and he is the one who recommended Mahindra to my dad. I actually am a bit particular about the weight of the scooter, so considering this, which would be the best buy ? For all that I know Flyte and Rodeo could be comparitively lighter as compared to Honda Aviator or Suzuki Access. Comments
What model does your uncle have?

Flyte has been renamed as Rodeo...ie there is no Flyte anymore. Duro is the ancient Kinetic Marvel or whatever.

I would say go for a Rodeo.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:08   #1931
BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What model does your uncle have?

Flyte has been renamed as Rodeo...ie there is no Flyte anymore. Duro is the ancient Kinetic Marvel or whatever.

I would say go for a Rodeo.
He rides a Duro, not the DZ variant though, his is the earlier model when Nova was given a facelift and released as Duro, but he is quite happy with it.

If Rodeo, do you think it is not underpowered and can propel 2 full grown individuals easily ?
Old 26th March 2012, 19:04   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If Rodeo, do you think it is not underpowered and can propel 2 full grown individuals easily ?
We owned a Flyte for nearly 2 years. Power was not at all a concern. It has a 125cc engine and can pull 2 adults without strain.

The main issue was with the mileage and the puny fuel tank of 4L. Mileage was initially in the high 30's which was acceptable but still a pain to refuel every 130+kms or so. But eventually it decreased to low 20's and that is when it was a real challenge as we had to look for a bunk every 75-80kms. The Mahindra ASC was of no use in this issue and finally we sold it off.

There is a restaurant near my place which use the Flyte as delivery vehicles. They too have the same complaint of mileage in the 20's due to the which the vehicle is more at the ASC than doing delivery duty.
Old 26th March 2012, 19:11   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
We owned a Flyte for nearly 2 years. Power was not at all a concern. It has a 125cc engine and can pull 2 adults without strain.

The main issue was with the mileage and the puny fuel tank of 4L. Mileage was initially in the high 30's which was acceptable but still a pain to refuel every 130+kms or so. But eventually it decreased to low 20's and that is when it was a real challenge as we had to look for a bunk every 75-80kms. The Mahindra ASC was of no use in this issue and finally we sold it off.

There is a restaurant near my place which use the Flyte as delivery vehicles. They too have the same complaint of mileage in the 20's due to the which the vehicle is more at the ASC than doing delivery duty.
A 125 cc scooter with mileage in the 20's is horrifying. Can surely understand this sort of numbers in a high-end bike, but not in this segment. Thanks for sharing this abhinav.s. I will surely keep this in mind.

I had almost zeroed on Flyte, but now it seems like I will have to explore other options. I am going to the TVS showroom to check out what they can offer with respect to TVS Wego or Streak.
Old 27th March 2012, 14:37   #1934
BHPian

The New Duro DZ is a pretty good scooter, infact the Rodeo and the Flyte are pretty much the same, The Duro has received a lot of updates. The seating position is lower and more spacious, re-designed head lights means better illumination on the road and though the power has been detuned a bit, mileage has gone up and is better than the older Duro, and there is also the telescopic suspension. the Duro is also a much bigger scooter than the Rodeo as a result 2 full size adults will be more comfortable on the Duro. That said id still recommend the Aviator or the Wego over the Mahindra's.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:18   #1935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A 125 cc scooter with mileage in the 20's is horrifying. Can surely understand this sort of numbers in a high-end bike, but not in this segment. Thanks for sharing this abhinav.s. I will surely keep this in mind.

I had almost zeroed on Flyte, but now it seems like I will have to explore other options. I am going to the TVS showroom to check out what they can offer with respect to TVS Wego or Streak.
Why is your uncle recommending Mahindra if it has an FE issue! Duro and Rodeo have the same engine IIRC.
Closed Thread