Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2007, 12:05   #181
BHPian

Read through all the inputs on 8 pages here and I think Flyte is quite interesting -- only if it had been from Honda or Suzuki or even TVS; I would have jumped at it - but Kinetic & Bajaj have lost my trust due to several personal & friend's experiences. It will take time to develop that trust again. I think Kinetic has delivered too many faulty/poorly designed products with equally poor service and have left customers unhappy.Think about K4, Luna magnum, Nova (too many problems & clumsy design) and ask owners how much they suffered. That bad karma and associated ill-will, lost brand equity will have some impact on their future products.

In all probability, with SYM from Taiwan in picture - it could really be a good product, but only time would tell how true their claims are for the quality of the product. I am not too impressed with 3 year guarantee - Indian manufacturers (especially Kinetic) very well know how to blame customers for bike problems.

I had Luna magnum and I knew quite well I didn't exceed 40 kmph in the run-in period, despite that the piston had problems in first year & they simply didn't do anything for guarantee (blamed Petrol pump for low oil usage, me for speeding - I didn't) and I had to pay for it. And I lost track how many times the Vario drive failed - it was poor and the Vario belt was unable to take load (what tests did they do?) and had to be changed often. After a point, even spare parts were not available for vario drive (that was a major variation from regular Luna). They simply can't design proper technology - my friend had a brief stint with Kinetic as an engineer , and he didn't have much good things to say about them.

On the other hand, TVS did introduce Shaloin with India's first bike with 5 gears almost a decade ago. Though their design department was pathetic at that time, the engineering has always been excellent - they stopped Shaloin production some time ago, but till date I haven't had any major problem with the bike and gear box & pick up is still excellent. My only complain with TVS is that - they just change designs too often and it's pain to get even minor parts (I was hunting for resonator tube for several days). But when it comes to delivering working design - TVS rules. Obviously, no complaints for Honda either - just that Honda designs are bland.

Anyway - too much rambling here, am definitely interested in knowing SYM Flyte route - especially because I am planning to buy an non-geared scooter soon.

- Manish
Old 26th November 2007, 12:27   #182
BHPian

Had made up my mind on activa till last week.

Did a test ride of Flyte last Friday and booked a red one same day. It has a 15 days waiting period here. It is a looker , especially in oomph red , which I booked.

Kinetics a s service is still a question mark for me, but the 3 year warranty and minuscule running this scooter will do , made me take this risk.

Last edited by w 12 : 26th November 2007 at 12:33.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:28   #183
BHPian

@ ^^^

Yup, Kinetic'll have to muscle up it's Quality wothiness over a period of time...
Buyin a non geared Scooter???
If you can wait, there's a Yam lurkin around...!!! Rumours, rumours!!!
Still wonder, why didin't suzuki consider providin Discs up front for their 125cc Access... Same with the Flyte (If I'm right!!).
I own a Dio presently and will wait for the Yam for an upgrade if it's lauch gets confirmed...
Old 26th November 2007, 12:49   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Manish - Flyte quality is excellent, everyone has agreed that it is the best kinetic ever. plus it has a 3 year warranty period, longest in scooters. in fact i read that across the world SYM scooters have lifetime warranty thats how confident they are. so i m not worried and after few weeks of owning and riding flyte i m fully convinced (and in agreement with overdrive) it is right choice in scooters today.
As far as my knowledge goes, 3 years warranty is only for the first 10,000 customers.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:50   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Manish - Flyte quality is excellent, everyone has agreed that it is the best kinetic ever. plus it has a 3 year warranty period, longest in scooters. in fact i read that across the world SYM scooters have lifetime warranty thats how confident they are. so i m not worried and after few weeks of owning and riding flyte i m fully convinced (and in agreement with overdrive) it is right choice in scooters today.
I really hope they are right and it's really good scooter to own even after 5 years (no major issues) - I am just skeptical and have very valid reasons and personal experience as far as Kinetic's incompetence is considered.

However, I am too frustrated with Activa's monopoly, bland looks, reluctance to add interesting changes, 'holier than thou' attitude (they even charge you for number plate & side stand under accessories) and 45 days waiting period! I will be more than happy if someone gives them tough competition. This feature rich SYM Flyte seems exciting, and maybe SYM has put some quality in pathetic Kinetic, let's see how it passes the ultimate test of time!
Old 26th November 2007, 13:54   #186
BHPian

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
As far as my knowledge goes, 3 years warranty is only for the first 10,000 customers.
If they are so sure about quality of their scooter - why only for 10,000 customers? Maybe, after that SYM might stop monitoring, and kinetic products definitely don't command 3 years guarantee. they don't last that long!
Old 26th November 2007, 17:32   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Read his post properly. He says it would have lasted longer "IF he had taken good care of it".
thank you for the clarification sir. and yes sir i did read his post properly. my question was because he said "real" good care which could mean he did take care but not that extra. anyway, forget that i asked.
Old 26th November 2007, 17:39   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
@ ^^^

Yup, Kinetic'll have to muscle up it's Quality wothiness over a period of time...
Buyin a non geared Scooter???
If you can wait, there's a Yam lurkin around...!!! Rumours, rumours!!!
Still wonder, why didin't suzuki consider providin Discs up front for their 125cc Access... Same with the Flyte (If I'm right!!).
I own a Dio presently and will wait for the Yam for an upgrade if it's lauch gets confirmed...
i believe that the cost factor is one reason for not providing discs and the second is that the 130mm brake drum is quite sufficient to even lock up the front wheel. if the drum can generate sufficient stopping power to lock the front then the disc is perhaps superflous but discs sure need far less braking effort and they look good for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
If they are so sure about quality of their scooter - why only for 10,000 customers? Maybe, after that SYM might stop monitoring, and kinetic products definitely don't command 3 years guarantee. they don't last that long!
valid comment but sym is going nowhere cos i understand that they are already conducting a market survey for the next scooter that is scheduled to be launched by oct 08.
Old 26th November 2007, 17:42   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
valid comment but sym is going nowhere cos i understand that they are already conducting a market survey for the next scooter that is scheduled to be launched by oct 08.
I meant that SYM would stop monitoring manufacturing process at Kinetic - didn't imply that their collaboration would stop.

But I still believe the 3 year guarantee should have been unconditional.
Old 26th November 2007, 20:14   #190
BHPian

Was too curious to take test ride of this one - and managed to do it today evening at factory showroom here in Pune. Flyte is really very, very smooth - loved the way it rides and features are impressive - but it felt smaller than Honda Activa & Suzuki Access. Maybe more in the league of Scooty Pep+, am not yet sold. Will keep an eye on reports though.
Old 26th November 2007, 20:46   #191
BHPian

Any news about the launch of scooters from YAM & also the new 150cc scooter from HONDA. I think we should wait till these two gets launched as i think the honda is comming out with discs and may be with an FI also.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:09   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, I am too frustrated with Activa's monopoly, bland looks, reluctance to add interesting changes, 'holier than thou' attitude (they even charge you for number plate & side stand under accessories) and 45 days waiting period! I will be more than happy if someone gives them tough competition. This feature rich SYM Flyte seems exciting, and maybe SYM has put some quality in pathetic Kinetic, let's see how it passes the ultimate test of time!
We blame Fiat and Ambassador for not making any progress for decades, but even a company like Honda will sit still when there is no worthy competetion.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:23   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
We blame Fiat and Ambassador for not making any progress for decades, but even a company like Honda will sit still when there is no worthy competetion.
Exactly!!! It's really infuriating to see that level of apathy! It's really bad that international giants such as Suzuki & Honda have come up with such mediocre products for the Indian market. Even Bajaj & TVS have bettter designs that what these guys produce.
Old 26th November 2007, 22:27   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I meant that SYM would stop monitoring manufacturing process at Kinetic - didn't imply that their collaboration would stop.

But I still believe the 3 year guarantee should have been unconditional.
yep. i get what you are saying. in fact rumours have it that sym will over the next few years up its share in kinetic and perhaps get controlling stake in 2009. they are here for the long haul in india and am sure that as long as the product carries the sym name, their no.1 priority will be quality. in fact their range of products in taiwan have a lifetime warranty (15 years!) on the engines. unfortunately due to the dusty conditions here, that warranty could not be made available in india. but i guess that 3 years is good at the moment.

Quote:
Was too curious to take test ride of this one - and managed to do it today evening at factory showroom here in Pune. Flyte is really very, very smooth - loved the way it rides and features are impressive - but it felt smaller than Honda Activa & Suzuki Access. Maybe more in the league of Scooty Pep+, am not yet sold. Will keep an eye on reports though.
yes the flyte is smaller and is in the scooterette segment and is actually upping the ante in the pep+, pleasure and kristal segment. the access and the activa are in a segment of their own and the flyte is not competing with these two.
Old 26th November 2007, 23:09   #195
BHPian

Had read about the SYM Mio in OD few months back. Now, that is what I'd call a good change from the conventionals, somethin that the Swift did in Cars (Sigh that the Swift too is gettin too common these days!). That should drive away the conservatism followed in the Indian non geared Scooter market. Somethin that the Dio did a few years back. Kindly excuse, I went a bit...
Closed Thread