Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2012, 19:01   #2011
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Isin't Pleasure nothing but an activa with different body panels ?

Weights:

ScootyPep: 95 kg
Pleasure : 104 Kg
Activa : 111 kg

source: bikez

Last edited by Mpower : 15th May 2012 at 22:02.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:14   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Isin't Pleasure nothing but an activa with different body panels ?

Weights:

ScootyPep: 95 kg
Pleasure : 104 Kg
Activa : 111 kg

source: bikez
Yes you are correct, Pleasure was an Activa in a different guise when it was launched. Honda and then Hero Honda wanted to flank two bikes of similar nature and sell more between themselves.

That said, with times moving on,

Activa's engine was uprated to 109cc with 8 BHP of power while
Pleasure remains the same at 102cc with 7 BHP of power

Apart from that Activa has a full metal body whereas Pleasure has ABS body and that shows in the weight difference and a slightly smaller stance (a perception of some users) would make it more user friendly for aged riders as per the requirement in the previous threads also getting it closer to the earlier ride a Scooty.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:27   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Remember reading an interview with Suzuki 2 wheelers CEO or some senior person online. They are keeping both Swish and Access and they dont mind which sells better as long as the overall sales of scooters increase. Of course this is not verbatim but what he said was on those similar lines. They want to target youngsters with the Swish!
What he'd have said

"In the current dynamic market conditions, having competitive segments within the industry still makes fiscal sense and with our focus on top-line growth and drive towards operational efficiency, we are still figuring out our strategy on product rationalization across the segment. We also believe that our customer differentiators are well-focused on divergent urban and rural markets and hence our higher growth-trajectory needs such competitive products in the market."

Good that you translated that for us laymen folk! j/k

I am looking to get a run-around scooter but I want something other than the Activa. What other options do I have? I like the Access a bit but its too rotund and the Dio is just weird looking IMO. Tempted by the Vespa but the better half will definitely not be happy with me shelling out 80k for a scooter. :( Used scooters a better bet than new ones? Won't be running more than 50km a week.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:39   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Got my Activa serviced yesterday, costed me Rs 590/- for the service which included changing the oil (185/-), air filter (259/-) and the labour costs. The engine now sounds super smooth. What is the normal frequency of air filter replacment? The old one which was replaced had turned total black.

My Activa has a perenial problem of the side stand losing its alignment, anybody faced this issue?
How old is the vehicle? How many KM's?
Though we don't have an Activa, for our Access, we haven't had any air filter replacement even after one year (3500 KM).
What does your manual say?
By two wheeler standards, the air filter looks expensive, but the oil is cheap.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:42   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How old is the vehicle? How many KM's?
Though we don't have an Activa, for our Access, we haven't had any air filter replacement even after one year (3500 KM).
What does your manual say?
By two wheeler standards, the air filter looks expensive, but the oil is cheap.
The vehicle is 2 yr old and has 4800+ kms on the odo. I havent had the opportunity to look into the manual, but will go through it this week end. The worst part is I get to know about the air filter cost when I go to pick up the vehicle after servicing.
Old 18th May 2012, 16:08   #2016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I am looking to get a run-around scooter but I want something other than the Activa. What other options do I have? Won't be running more than 50km a week.
For out pot holed roads, it is best if you go for a scooter with telescopic shock absorbers at the front. Though you might not run it more, for those short rides on the pot holed, speed bumps, crater and what not filled roads, you will be thanking the telescopic shocks for reducing the fatigue. Used scooters are a good bet if you're buying from any brand other than Honda as the Honda's command very very high resale value.

Options --> Access, Aviator, Wego, Duro DZ, Rodeo. One of them is a Honda (Aviator) but has telescopic shocks and bigger wheel up front. Optional disc brake available as well. Take your pick and see if you can get one of them used. If not, you cannot go wrong with a new one as well though i would stay away from the Mahindras (Duro and Rodeo) based on a not so pleasant experience with their Flyte which we owned for 2 years.
Old 18th May 2012, 16:13   #2017
BHPian

Thank you, Abhinav. Will keep your points in mind.
Old 20th May 2012, 21:21   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
What he'd have said

I am looking to get a run-around scooter but I want something other than the Activa. What other options do I have? I like the Access a bit but its too rotund and the Dio is just weird looking IMO. Tempted by the Vespa but the better half will definitely not be happy with me shelling out 80k for a scooter. :( Used scooters a better bet than new ones? Won't be running more than 50km a week.
You can also consider the Hero Pleasure the other sibling of Activa. As I had mentioned earlier as well, it has the tried and tested 100cc motor which has been in the millions of Hero Hondas and till recently Activas ( Activa uprated to 110cc) and backed by the solid service network of Hero Moto Corp, it is a very credible lighter option that will tick boxes in terms of ease of handling, cost of purchase and use with the better half as well.

Last edited by girishglg : 20th May 2012 at 21:22.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:37   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
You can also consider the Hero Pleasure the other sibling of Activa. As I had mentioned earlier as well, it has the tried and tested 100cc motor which has been in the millions of Hero Hondas and till recently Activas ( Activa uprated to 110cc) and backed by the solid service network of Hero Moto Corp, it is a very credible lighter option that will tick boxes in terms of ease of handling, cost of purchase and use with the better half as well.
+ 1 to what girishglg said.
I own one and would be happy to answer any queries with respect to the "ownership" and "riding experience".
I feel its an underrated yet capable scooter.
I bought it in grey and hence it even looks pretty much gender neutral (as opposed to the other candy colours it is available in).
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 15:07   #2020
BHPian

Holla folks,
I'm want to buy a gearless scooter for my better half. I'm leaning towards the TVS Wego but the latest auto mags have tested 2 new scoots from Mahindra and Hero, namely Rodeo RZ and new Meastro.

Any opinion on these? I also have the Suzuki scoots in my radar but I feel they will be a bit too tall for her. I've decided to ignore the Activa and Dio as I feel the newer gen scoots are better than these 2. Also I don't want to wait 2-3 months to get a delivery.

So looking towards your inputs on these.

Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 16:29   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Go with the Wego with your eyes closed. It is more comfortable to ride than the other two plus since the fuel filler is outside, you get more usable boot!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 22:46   #2022
BHPian

My wife has managed to sell her 8 yr old Spirit today.
Need to buy a new which would be more for dad than her.

Already have Flyte. I think I should look beyond MTWPL. Nothing worng but nothing yo too.

Wego-my favourite based on specs. Heard disastrous mileage figures though.

Scooty - 2nd most preferred. Would it be capable with mother as pillion rider. Spirit was ok with both of them.

Activa - wife's favourite. Logical too as it is one of highest selling machine. How about ease of driving? Easy for 68 yr old?

Pleasure - Activa with a feel of Siprit.

Another big issue is that the Spirit was favoured for airport trips as my big strolley could easily go on the footboard. Any of the above can accomodate the same?

Intended purchase would be in 2-3 weeks from now after I come home from sailing.

Rgds.
Old 7th July 2012, 23:00   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Go with the Wego with your eyes closed. It is more comfortable to ride than the other two plus since the fuel filler is outside, you get more usable boot!
thanks amtak.
I test rode the Wego today and loved it immediately. So did the wifey. The engine is really smooth and quiet, the suspension is nice and feels like a bike. The seats a little too soft for my liking but I guess this will help shorter riders.

Also test drove the Hero Maestro, its a lovely machine this, love the instrument console and combi brake.
But it retails at close to 60K which is good 5K more than the Wego, and for not much of a difference.

So Wego it is. Will be booking one this month end in Cappuccino Brown.

Cheers
Old 9th July 2012, 08:59   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Most of the scooters do not have the fuel filler inside the boot, hence Wego is not an exception. The only advantage is the fuel filler does not want the boot to be opened every time at refilling. However did see a Wego in running with the fuel filler flap open, had to remind the gentleman at the signal who said the flap's gone faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Activa - How about ease of driving? Easy for 68 yr old?
I dont think so, Activa is suited for a senior person since its heavy as compared to other scooters. You need to go for lighter scooter like the Access/Swish or Wego.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:50   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Most of the scooters do not have the fuel filler inside the boot, hence Wego is not an exception.
Further the fuel knob is rear mounted on the Wego, so still not as convenient as the front fuel filler on the Rodeo RZ. The Rodeo RZ does look impressive on paper (and some initial reviews available online), but the Wego may be a safer bet.
Closed Thread