Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2012, 18:09   #2026
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I'm going to buy a gearless scooter soon for wife (Most probably over this weekend itself). Went for test drives of almost all the scooters available in the market today. Here are my impressions. Since this is my first scooter buying experience (Although she has owned and driven Kinetic Xing and Hero Honda Pleasure before marriage), would love to hear your suggestions on the same before putting down the money. Her office is around 4.5 kms away from home, and the roads are generally good.

1. Honda Dio - First visit was to the Honda showroom. Infact - she had already decided that its going to be a Dio. Now - How to lose such a customer? Ya, the 'Honda way' of doing things.

Showroom 1:
The first response we got after we uttered the word 'Dio' in the showroom - Waiting period of 1 month, sir. Ok fine, went to check the scoot. She was all happy, though the lack of useable storage space (Full size helmet is a tight fit) was a disappointment. Now, we asked for the test drive - and they brought out an old model Dio - telling both are the same madam. When i pointed out the engine is different - they kept on telling both are Honda engine sir, only cc is different. Ya, right!

Showroom 2:
Do you have Dio test drive vehicles?
Yes sir. But its gone outside.
Ok. When can you arrange us a test drive?
Next week sir.
Why?
Vehicle is in transit sir.
Do you have Activa test drive?
Vehicle is not allotted sir.

Thats it for Honda. We decided to move on to other brands. TVS was up next. I was really interested in checking out Wego since there are a lot of positive reviews on the net.

2. TVS Wego: Good treatment for customers, although the showroom in itself doesn't feel premium. Test drive was good. Liked the scooter very much. She was bright and happy too - but yes - something was missing - her heart was set on Pleasure (which has already has, back in Kerala). I didnt find anything special about it as well, although the handling felt well sorted. Acceleration had a certain lag typical of gearless scooters. A scooter that makes sense to the head, not heart - to put it short.

Tech Specs:
109.7cc, 8 PS, 8Nm.
OTR: 57,466/-

3. Suzuki Swish 125 - Unfortunately, only a very short TD was possible since the road was under contruction in front of the showroom. However - the scooter in itself felt very zippy and powerful - responding to throttle inputs much faster than in the Wego. Felt smoother as well. Didn't have the looks/ brand image though. Not sure whether the model will be successful in the market as well - since it doesn't seem to differentiate itself from the other competition including the Access. A very good product - let down by a half hearted approach from the manufacturer IMO.

Tech Specs:
124cc, 8.7PS, 9.8 Nm.
OTR: 57,100/-

4. Hero Pleasure - Very nice, big and neat showroom - nice hospitality - easily the best showroom experience by far among the 5 showrooms we visited today. Showroom and service center, both are at a walkable distance from our house. She got a TD first - and was all happy and smiling. Clearly - she loved her old Pleasure and was eager to get her hands on another one. (Next she took the Maestro for a TD). Meanwhile, i took a small TD in Pleasure - and I couldnt fit in. I knew this was designed for girls - but didn't it to be that tight. The basket upfront was hitting my leg, and the handle bar could only be turned half way before hitting my knee. None of the other scoots I tested today felt as small.

Anyways - this was not my purchase (Why should boys have all the fun? ).

Tech Specs:
102 cc, 6.84 PS, 7.85 Nm.

5. HH Meastro - I took a TD first, and I really like the space on offer. The handling felt good too, and it was surprisingly zippy and agile for a scooter of such proportions. She returned from the TD with a smile on her face as well. The storage space is huge as well. One full size helmet will fit in - along with a small carry bag/ ladies purse. She too really liked the space on offer - loads of legroom and a wide seat. She prefers Maestro over pleasure now - since it offers better space, handling felt good, and it offers better throttle response as well.

Tech Specs:
109cc, 8.2 PS @ 7500, 9.1 Nm @ 5500.
OTR: 56,556/-

Searched online for reviews on Meastro - and I'm not finding much info. Is it not a hit? Any negatives we should watch out for?

I am sure many will point out that for a lady - pleasure would be a better deal. But luckily - she is an experienced rider - and is not bothered about the size of Meastro. Infact, she counts it as a positive thing now.

Anyone who was driven Maestro - any idea how the engine is mounted? Is it towards one side as in the Activa? It felt lot more balanced than the Activa though (I have driven only the old 100cc Activa).

If compared with the Swish 125 - how would the Maestro compare, considering both have almost same price tags?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th July 2012 at 18:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 19:37   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Searched online for reviews on Maestro - and I'm not finding much info. Is it not a hit? Any negatives we should watch out for?
Maybe since its a new release, you are not finding many reviews. And again, its the same proven engine of Activa with different clothes. So internals should be reliable and bullet proof. No negatives spring to mind except for the age old front suspension system when most manufacturers are moving to telescopic shocks at the front.

Coming to the decision, i would blindly allow the lady to take the decision. And since she has liked and is happy with Maestro, go for it. The proximity of service center to your house is best thing with the Hero as well. Since you are claiming the roads are good, the suspension should not be a big concern. Only on bad roads it gets tiring to ride it. Let us know what you buy for her.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 12th July 2012 at 19:39.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:26   #2028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Coming to the decision, i would blindly allow the lady to take the decision.
True!

BUT - Rulebook says I can influence her to take that decision blindly.

Will be going to another Suzuki showroom tomorrow. We both liked the Swish - but could not manage a proper TD since the roads in front of the showroom is under construction. From the short impression - it seemed to have a very good suspension + very peppy engine. So definitely deserves another proper TD.

All other contenders have been eliminated now. Its just the Swish against the Maestro now.

Note - Just saw ODmags latest scooter comparo- Vespa, Activa, Dio, Swish, Wego and Maestro has been compared.

Test for the best! Which scooter will bag number 1 title? >> Watch Video
Old 12th July 2012, 23:25   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUT - Rulebook says I can influence her to take that decision blindly.

Note - Just saw ODmags latest scooter comparo- Vespa, Activa, Dio, Swish, Wego and Maestro has been compared.
Have you both not fallen for the Vespa? I was expecting a brief comparo of the others with the Vespa from a distinguished BHPian, but alas, no Vespa

Price wise, aren't the Honda sisters a 10k lesser, than the others at 58k? And the Vespa 125 a good 10k higher?
Old 12th July 2012, 23:41   #2030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma

Have you both not fallen for the Vespa? I was expecting a brief comparo of the others with the Vespa from a distinguished BHPian, but alas, no Vespa

Price wise, aren't the Honda sisters a 10k lesser, than the others at 58k? And the Vespa 125 a good 10k higher?
Price is not at all a problem with the Vespa. She hates the whole retro feel of it. While some of us feel it's cute, she feels it's old. She hates the bright colors too.

EDIT: After reading your post- we had a discussion on Vespa. She wants to see one in BLACK before deciding. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th July 2012 at 23:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 11:02   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Wego-my favourite based on specs. Heard disastrous mileage figures though.
I beg to differ on this. I own a Wego and I have got excellent mileage from it. Completed 1.5 years on it, and I get an average of 45+ kmpl easily on it.
Old 13th July 2012, 22:00   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I was expecting a brief comparo of the others with the Vespa from a distinguished BHPian, but alas, no Vespa
Your wish is my command - well, sort of - in this case.

The below qouted was my post yesterday night. Qouting it since significant changes happened in the next one hour after this post. As i mentioned earlier - i read thoma's post when we were about to go to bed. A discussion soon started about Vespa - and although she hated it to the core, she agreed to see one in black before deciding. (The colours she had seen were reds and yellows, and well - she hates it)

And guess what followed?

Name:  IMG_20120713_135416.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  292.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20120713_135620.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  441.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20120713_135625.jpg
Views: 2870
Size:  409.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20120713_142754.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  305.0 KB

Quote:
I'm going to buy a gearless scooter soon for wife (Most probably over this weekend itself). Went for test drives of almost all the scooters available in the market today. Here are my impressions. Since this is my first scooter buying experience (Although she has owned and driven Kinetic Xing and Hero Honda Pleasure before marriage), would love to hear your suggestions on the same before putting down the money. Her office is around 4.5 kms away from home, and the roads are generally good.

1. Honda Dio - First visit was to the Honda showroom. Infact - she had already decided that its going to be a Dio. Now - How to lose such a customer? Ya, the 'Honda way' of doing things.

Showroom 1:
The first response we got after we uttered the word 'Dio' in the showroom - Waiting period of 1 month, sir. Ok fine, went to check the scoot. She was all happy, though the lack of useable storage space (Full size helmet is a tight fit) was a disappointment. Now, we asked for the test drive - and they brought out an old model Dio - telling both are the same madam. When i pointed out the engine is different - they kept on telling both are Honda engine sir, only cc is different. Ya, right!

Showroom 2:
Do you have Dio test drive vehicles?
Yes sir. But its gone outside.
Ok. When can you arrange us a test drive?
Next week sir.
Why?
Vehicle is in transit sir.
Do you have Activa test drive?
Vehicle is not allotted sir.

Thats it for Honda. We decided to move on to other brands. TVS was up next. I was really interested in checking out Wego since there are a lot of positive reviews on the net.

2. TVS Wego: Good treatment for customers, although the showroom in itself doesn't feel premium. Test drive was good. Liked the scooter very much. She was bright and happy too - but yes - something was missing - her heart was set on Pleasure (which has already has, back in Kerala). I didnt find anything special about it as well, although the handling felt well sorted. Acceleration had a certain lag typical of gearless scooters. A scooter that makes sense to the head, not heart - to put it short.

Tech Specs:
109.7cc, 8 PS, 8Nm.
OTR: 57,466/-

3. Suzuki Swish 125 - Unfortunately, only a very short TD was possible since the road was under contruction in front of the showroom. However - the scooter in itself felt very zippy and powerful - responding to throttle inputs much faster than in the Wego. Felt smoother as well. Didn't have the looks/ brand image though. Not sure whether the model will be successful in the market as well - since it doesn't seem to differentiate itself from the other competition including the Access. A very good product - let down by a half hearted approach from the manufacturer IMO.

Tech Specs:
124cc, 8.7PS, 9.8 Nm.
OTR: 57,100/-

4. Hero Pleasure - Very nice, big and neat showroom - nice hospitality - easily the best showroom experience by far among the 5 showrooms we visited today. Showroom and service center, both are at a walkable distance from our house. She got a TD first - and was all happy and smiling. Clearly - she loved her old Pleasure and was eager to get her hands on another one. (Next she took the Maestro for a TD). Meanwhile, i took a small TD in Pleasure - and I couldnt fit in. I knew this was designed for girls - but didn't it to be that tight. The basket upfront was hitting my leg, and the handle bar could only be turned half way before hitting my knee. None of the other scoots I tested today felt as small.

Anyways - this was not my purchase (Why should boys have all the fun? ).

Tech Specs:
102 cc, 6.84 PS, 7.85 Nm.

5. HH Meastro - I took a TD first, and I really like the space on offer. The handling felt good too, and it was surprisingly zippy and agile for a scooter of such proportions. She returned from the TD with a smile on her face as well. The storage space is huge as well. One full size helmet will fit in - along with a small carry bag/ ladies purse. She too really liked the space on offer - loads of legroom and a wide seat. She prefers Maestro over pleasure now - since it offers better space, handling felt good, and it offers better throttle response as well.

Tech Specs:
109cc, 8.2 PS @ 7500, 9.1 Nm @ 5500.
OTR: 56,556/-

Searched online for reviews on Meastro - and I'm not finding much info. Is it not a hit? Any negatives we should watch out for?

I am sure many will point out that for a lady - pleasure would be a better deal. But luckily - she is an experienced rider - and is not bothered about the size of Meastro. Infact, she counts it as a positive thing now.

Anyone who was driven Maestro - any idea how the engine is mounted? Is it towards one side as in the Activa? It felt lot more balanced than the Activa though (I have driven only the old 100cc Activa).

If compared with the Swish 125 - how would the Maestro compare, considering both have almost same price tags?
The comparo was changed to Swish 125 and Piaggio Vespa within an hour of discussions. We soon went to sleep.

Day 2 of our scooter hunt started with the Vespa showroom. 2 floors, well presented and befitting the premium lifestyle image they are trying to create with the Vespa. The staff were very well mannered and knew a thing or two about the Scooter as well.

And guess what? SHE LOVED IT. In black and in white!

TD was a nice affair as well, although not exceptional. In both our opinions, it is certainly one of the best scooter out there, if not the best. (Will explain why the confusion in selecting the best). However - the overall appeal of the scooter is just too hard to ignore. Its just beautiful, and it has presence, and has the go to match as well - a rare thing in the scooter industry.

My TD experience was ok. Acceleration was good, brakes were strictly average and really think the price tag deserves better brakes, suspension was firm - but in a way that communicates everything perfectly to the driver. You get so much of confidence from the ride and handling package - something scooters can't provide that easily. It had enough space for my height and I felt really comfortable riding it.

And thoma, price is not JUST 10k higher. Its a whooping 78,218 OTR excluding mandatory accessories - which takes the price close to 80,000 INR on road. Thats 20k more than any of the other scooters I have driven in this hunt. 5k, i would have paid without thinking twice, but 20k?

A thing to note - a senior person ( I guess the manager) of the showroom was very much knowledgeable person. We had a nice conversation regarding my Punto 90 and some automobile matters. He was of the opinion that Chennai crowd is yet to warm up to the price tag, although the scooter is exceeding expectations in some states including Kerala. Anyways - we had to decide on the purchase and moved on.

On the way - we stopped at the Suzuki showroom. We did not get a proper TD of the Swish 125 yesterday - and today we had to make up for it. Coming from the Vespa - we had a new benchmark for performance and handling - and all was set to be met, and sometimes blown away by this little Suzuki.

In the ODmag scooter comparo - they mention something like this- 'Here we have 5 scooters - the market leader (Activa), the cheaper version of the leader (Dio), the comfortable scooter (Maestro), the handling machine (Wego), the retro (Vespa) and one scooter that does everything these scooters does and somethings even better'. So true about the Swish! Its such a brilliant little machine that I would go ahead and vote it as the best scooter, even ahead of the Vespa (If you ignore the looks and appeal, that is).

Wonderful acceleration - it really does take off unlike most scooters including the Vespa, nice stable handling, a comfortable suspension setup and 'OK' looks. It sure is not a heart-puller like the Vespa, but mechanically - it does everything the Vespa can do and even excel it in some areas - at a pricetag a good 20k cheaper! If I were to choose a scooter for myself - it would definitely be the Swish 125. And its not just me speaking - my wife partially shares that opinion as well - even for her, as a mechanical package - Swish is on of the best she has tried - and even betters the Vespa in her opinion too.

So, are we purchasing the Swish? I really dont know. I have made her TD almost every choice available in the market - and so now - I will leave the choice to her. For her - its a simple decision now - to decide whether the Vespa is worth the 20k extra they are asking for the looks and the exclusivity. Somehow - the Vespa has an appeal that sometimes makes you feel the 20k is worth it- but then 20,000 is still a lot of money. For now - I'll wait and watch.

Piaggio: If you are reading this report by any chance: Price it 5k - 10k higher than the rest. Trust me, you'll hit a sweet spot between premium image and good sales.

Suzuki: If you are reading this - You've got a fantastic product in the Swish - unlike the bikes in your range. Market it properly.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th July 2012 at 22:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 22:23   #2033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Piaggio: If you are reading this report by any chance: Price it 5k - 10k higher than the rest. Trust me, you'll hit a sweet spot between premium image and good sales.
+1. I'd say 10K is a fair premium.

For 20K, I expect at least disk brakes like the European market LX125. Just hope Yamaha brings in the Vino to kick in some competition.

BTW, looks like you missed the Aviator?

Either way, make sure you change out the crappy OE tires to something gripper and safer like the MRF Zapper.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th July 2012 at 01:25.
Old 13th July 2012, 22:34   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
+1. I'd say 10K is a fair premium.

For 20K, I expect front disk brakes and fuel injection like the European market LX125. Just hope Yamaha brings in the Vino to kick in some competition.

BTW, looks like you missed the Aviator?

Either way, make sure you change out the crappy OE tires to something gripper and safer like the MRF Zapper.
We missed all the Honda products. Went to two showrooms (One near my house and other a good 7-8 kms away in search of a better showroom), but we had bad experiences. One tried to cheat by offering a TD of the old model Dio, and the other showroom told no TD available.

I guess they have too much demand - to even care for customers needing a TD to decide the product. Anyways - did not mention Aviator since it was never in the list at all. I guess it doesn't appeal to the fairer sex that much.
Old 13th July 2012, 22:49   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your wish is my command - well, sort of - in this case.
The devilish imp I am at making minds change I wanted to suggest you not to miss checking out one in white, but then I hit the bed, holding back a one-liner.

Thanks for the crisp comparo. Exactly what I wanted to know of the new kid on the block. I guessed the 10+hp from the 125cc would have blown the competition away, but you proved it wrong. We have a Vespa LX 125
on our forum, but any number of reviews and snaps are insatiable for any BHPian http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rt-motion.html (My Vespa LX 125 "Yellow Wasp" - Italian Art In Motion)

The Vespa web-site quotes a price of 68k and does the tax and insurance come to more than 10%? Definitely pricier for the common man, but then exclusivity and class does not come cheap. Does the dealer, EVM I guess, have a service center alongside the showroom?

Adding to your confusion, I will ask the golden question. Will you/wife go with the the retro OR the one that does somethings even better?
Old 14th July 2012, 06:13   #2036
BHPian

Any idea how much is TVS wego OTR in Pune?

Dad after selling spirit is using auto which is turning far too expensive.

I am almost sold to it. Luckily another guy popped up home asking for Classic Sl (autostart) for 6k. So would get rid of her too. Anyways Classic would be 13 yrs old soon though in mint condition.

Rgds.
Old 14th July 2012, 11:35   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to buy a gearless scooter soon for wife (Most probably over this weekend itself). Went for test drives of almost all the scooters available in the market today. Here are my impressions.
Thanks for the detailed comparison.

Since you have compared all the available gearless scooters, I would like to know you opinion about the Suzuki Access 125.

What are the differences between Access and Swish ?

I'm also looking to purchase a gearless scooter. I would wait for Yamaha to launch their gearless scooter Ray (expected around Diwali).

Rohan
Old 14th July 2012, 12:42   #2038
Senior - BHPian

What tyres does the vespa comes with ? . The thread pattern looks weird and outdated .For that price , it should have ATLEAST come with front disk brakes .
Old 14th July 2012, 13:13   #2039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr

Thanks for the detailed comparison.

Since you have compared all the available gearless scooters, I would like to know you opinion about the Suzuki Access 125.

What are the differences between Access and Swish ?

I'm also looking to purchase a gearless scooter. I would wait for Yamaha to launch their gearless scooter Ray (expected around Diwali).

Rohan
I did not TD the Access. But AFAIK the only difference is in the presentation. Hence safe to conclude it should be a wolf in a sheep's clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
What tyres does the vespa comes with ? . The thread pattern looks weird and outdated .For that price , it should have ATLEAST come with front disk brakes .
Tyres are MRF Nylogrip 90/100 -10.
Old 14th July 2012, 19:38   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Any idea how much is TVS wego OTR in Pune?

Rgds.
It was 53k OTR pune in month of march 2012 , guess it should be the same now.

They have discontinued Golden beige colour and added 3 new colours
Grey, marinish green and red, check out their website.
Closed Thread