Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 31st July 2012, 13:33   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My wife is 5' nothing, so seat height is of great importance. unfortunately no spec sheet has this

Same here. Need to check out between pep+, streak and pleasure. anyone with similar problem can point out pros and cons.
My wife is 5 feet. Activa was her favourite, but waiting period forced us to book Access. Yes. The seat height is more than Activa, but after the first few months she was at complete ease.
So, confidence level is more important than the perceived height of the vehicle.
Old 1st August 2012, 18:07   #2072
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked Maestro today for wife. Entirely her decision after TD of most of the premium scooters available in the market. Hero brand name, and her previous experience with Pleasure being the main considerations in favour of maestro.

Since black was not in stock, delivery should be somewhere by mid-august.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 00:18   #2073
BHPian

My father is 5'1". He bought a scooty pep+ a year back. He had some issues initially with it, as it wouldn't start properly. The TVS service guys fixed it under warranty. it works fine now, except that kickstart sometimes doesn't work for him. Otherwise, he is happy with it.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:11   #2074
BHPian

Did TD almost all scoots. TD was done with wife and self solo, doubleseat, doubleseat + kid and then by dad solo and dad + kid.

Pleasure: Amazingly light weight. Engine firing not nice to hear. Also size is rather bit uncomfortable with pillion rider.

Maestro: Too huge to be practicable with female pillion riders.

Access: Supersmooth engine with a nice note, feels premium. But has a waiting period. Waiting is less for shades other than white.

Swish: Quite trendy, has same heart as of access, feels more premium. Better dimensions as it is slightly compact than Access. However silencer cover is not Chrome plated like Access ( which I liked) Commands a premium of 1600 Rs over Access. Yet not proven in market. Mileage claimed 45 in city.

Duro DZ: Mediocre. Engine tone not so nice to hear. Showroom guys were not confident if it was SYM motor or not. Comparatively my flyte appeared quite rev happy.

Activa: I was not a fan since beginning. Felt quite heavy. Also there are almost 8 Activas in my apartment and almost every owner is swearing on not getting more than 35 kmpl.

Wego: One scoot that appealed dad a lot. There is some steam in body balance tech. Motor quite nice to hear and felt revv happy. Exciting colours on offer. I don't know if all metal body is any advantage. Petrol filling idea appears quite cumbersome compared to front loading types like flyte. THE BIGGEST HEARTBREAK WAS THAT DUE TO RAKE OF THE HANDLE THE SPACE TO STAND ON FOOTBOARD FOR KIDS IS TOO SMALL. I can't understand how this very Indian need of kids standing on footboard is missed by a very indian manufacturer. I found that on hard braking sometimes my daughter tend to bang her face on the handle. Once she grows up slightly this disadvatage would get negated. But I was disappointed with TVS which gave near perfect alternative but missed on a very critical need for ferrying my daughter to school few hunderd meters away.

Now the tie is in Swish and Wego. Swish is price at 56.3 K OTR. Wego at 54.9K. Wego comes with 5 yrs warranty. Swish also has a major flaw that handle touches knees when taking u turns. I think this is going to go against Swich. Wifey is now pitching hard for Swish as it is trendy. Dad is for Wego as it is easy to ride and loaded with features plus offers 5 yrs warranty also service centre is merely 800m away from home. Wego comes with puncture resistent tyres.

Most likely it will be wego tomorrow. If not definitely swish. BTW any guess on resale of wego? Heard it is pathetic.

Rgds
Old 6th August 2012, 22:01   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Most likely it will be wego tomorrow. If not definitely swish. BTW any guess on resale of wego? Heard it is pathetic.
Rgds
Wego is picking up lately and the resale value should improve but won't match Activa I guess.
BTW, why would you consider resale value when buying? When I bought it recently, resale value never crossed my mind because the resale value is set blindly by sheeps. For e.g the telescopic fork front suspension of Wego is not compared with pathetic front suspension of Activa and yet it might fetch higher resale value.
To me, the diff of resale value between Wego and Activa should be no more than one or two thousands for which I wouldn't select some vehicle.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:46   #2076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maestro: Too huge to be practicable with female pillion riders.
The width of the seat is the problem?

I am going to pay the full money for our Maestro tomorrow. Just now realised that this point never crossed our minds. The scooter is for wife, and she actually prefers the big scoot - but we never checked out the pillion seat.

Switched colour preferance from Black to White. We will be taking delivery of the scoot on friday.

Regarding your purchase decision - My 2 cents - Swish is one of the best deals available in the market. Resale should be good since I see a lot of scoots on the road recently.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:03   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Wego is picking up lately and the resale value should improve but won't match Activa I guess.
BTW, why would you consider resale value when buying? When I bought it recently, resale value never crossed my mind because the resale value is set blindly by sheeps. For e.g the telescopic fork front suspension of Wego is not compared with pathetic front suspension of Activa and yet it might fetch higher resale value.
To me, the diff of resale value between Wego and Activa should be no more than one or two thousands for which I wouldn't select some vehicle.
I too never consider resale when buying. But my dad is getting overtly concerned. He is abt 69-70 now and keeps saying that in next couple of years he is going to stop riding a scoot. I have never sold any vehicle in such a short time frame hence this time thinking of resale. Our first scooter, Bajaj 150 served us for almost 22 years, classic SL will be due for envirnmental tax next year (sold yesterday), Bajaj Spirit sold after 8 yrs of service for 5k.
Quote:
The width of the seat is the problem?
Right. My wifey is 5'1" and did not like it. For taller ones I think is would be OK.
Old 7th August 2012, 10:35   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wego comes with 5 yrs warranty.
Are you sure? What I remember from my Wego's user manual is a 2 year manufacturer warranty. The sales person might just be bluffing about this to make you lean towards the Wego. Ask him to prove it by showing you a user manual with the warranty clause.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 7th August 2012, 11:40   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Got a good test ride on Vespa. This one was delivered 15 days ago at my BIL's place.
My wife drove the scooter for 100 KM (50KM one way) with me as pillion.
Ride was across bad village roads, ghats and the Mumbai Ahmedabad silky smooth highway.
On ward journey took about 1.5 hours and the return journey took a little less.
In between we took a small break for some shopping.

Some comparisons with Access since we have that at our place.

Pros:
Head turner. People on highway were slowing down to have a look at the Vespa. One Innova fellow slowed down and pulled over to let us pass and then pointed his wife to look at the Vespa.
Same story in the city area as well -maybe this is the only Vespa in that town so far.

Mileage: I was told by my BIL that mileage so far is 50-55 kmpl, though we did not get a chance to test this personally.

Ride: Takes bad roads/ uneven roads quite well. Better than Access which has a stiff ride.

Seating: Lower seating compared to Access, due to thinner seat foam. Good for short people.

Comfort: The seat width is narrow. Hence pillon rider is more comfortable sitting behind for long journeys. However the comfort will be lesser than sitting on a bike.

Headlights: Very powerful. Perhaps best in class.

Horn: Very loud. This can be considered a con depending on perspective.

Storage: Good storage under the seat. Also there is small storage in front (below the handle).

Service: Longer service intervals. I was told first servicing is at 1000 km. One major problem with Access is we have to service it every two months.

Cons:
Performance: 125 cc engine, but slower than Access in outright acceleration.
The top speed we got to was 100 kmph - did not go beyond since the vehicle is still in running in period. Pickup after 80 kmph is slow and overtaking on narrow roads needs careful planning.

Note: Engine was new and still in running in period. Pickup is expected to improve after first service.

NVH: Engine noise: Very noisy. Just like the old scooters.
Most people will not like this.

Storage: Needs removal of key from handle. Under seat storage has separate lock. Access/ Activa do not need key removal.

Rear View mirrors: The adjustment range is narrow. This may be a problem for some people.

Price: On road in Thane, Rs. 74000. Expensive.

Service network: Very thin at the moment.

Last edited by S_U_N : 7th August 2012 at 11:44.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 11:56   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Price: On road in Thane, Rs. 74000. Expensive.
Very expensive I must say if one wanted a retro looking scooter. I think Vespa's next product the Fly125 should be more in the 50K range and look affordable. But the wait is till Diwali.

Piaggio Fly125 to hit the market by Diwali | Motoroids
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 15:25   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Default Wego ownership

I completed 1 year of Wego ownership on July 27, 2012, with the odo reading at 7650 kms.

Overall, it's been an uneventful year [touchwood!] with one warranty replacement [oil seal] for taking care of a transmission oil leakage problem. I used to frequent Chattrapati TVS for the vehicle's servicing, but have now switched over to Rishika TVS as it is near my residence. Eagerly waiting for the warranty period to get over so that I can switch over to my trusted FNG.

On the mileage front, am getting between 42-45 kmpl most of the time. If I drive like a good boy, it goes up to 48 kmpl or so.

Hope this state of affairs continues in the years to come!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 7th August 2012, 16:15   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure? What I remember from my Wego's user manual is a 2 year manufacturer warranty. The sales person might just be bluffing about this to make you lean towards the Wego. Ask him to prove it by showing you a user manual with the warranty clause.

Cheers,
Vikram
Had asked hime then and there. He said that was earlier available on paying additional sum. Now it is offered complimentary. (3 yrs extended warranty)
Old 10th August 2012, 00:27   #2083
BHPian

Post Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Hi everyone,

does anyone know the effect of synthetic oil on the engine of a gearless scooter (FYI - I ride a Duro)? I want to upgrade to a fully synthetic engine oil as the normal ones are not suiting me anymore. My Duro has covered about 30k miles.

Thanks in advance!
SJD.
Old 10th August 2012, 07:43   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
does anyone know the effect of synthetic oil on the engine of a gearless scooter (FYI - I ride a Duro)? I want to upgrade to a fully synthetic engine oil as the normal ones are not suiting me anymore. My Duro has covered about 30k miles.
The best effect of a synthetic oil is improved engine efficiency hence smoother opeartion and consistent pick up.

Can you elaborate on why you feel the normal oil is not suting the Duro anymore? Has the FE gone down considerably, pick up is low? Does Mahindra workshop approve for engine oil changeover to synthetic.
Old 10th August 2012, 12:26   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Agree with ghodlur. In addition IMHO for air cooled engines its good to stick to mineral oil or semi synthetic oil. Ensure you use the same or higher grade of synthetic oil if you are changing to it. Dont switch to lower grade. Will harm the engine in the long run with less lubrication.
Closed Thread