Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2012, 09:50   #2101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
Congratulations. The scooter looks fresh in white and without any of those annoying graphics. Mind sharing the OTR cost and the accessories (if any) installed. What about the EW, does Hero offer it and if so how much?

Waiting for a full fledged report with lots of pics. happy driving and drive safely, use helmet always.
OTR (Chennai) came near 57k, including mat, handle bar grip and seat cover. Didn't opt for front box and Teflon coating.

Hero offers 2 years extended warranty over the standard 2 year warranty.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:58   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Got delivery of my (wifey's ) white Hero Maestro.
Congratulations. The scooter looks good. I have never heard of 'Maestro' and perhaps not seen this before. Was it known as something else earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
WRT to high wattage bulbs: Go for 35W 4300K HID bulbs (but your vehicle's battery will be sucked dry).
I am planning to go for Projectors + HID on our Access once the warranty expires.
Has anyone put projectors on scooters? Where do we place the ballast?
Old 16th August 2012, 11:52   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have never heard of 'Maestro' and perhaps not seen this before. Was it known as something else earlier?
It is a new launch from Hero Motors with the 110cc Activa engine.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:10   #2104
BHPian

Guys suggestions please!

I am planning to replace my dio which is serving me since 2008.This is driven by my sister and also the new bike will be driven by her. The requirements are:
1) Stable and durable- Less visits to the service centre - like my current dio
2) Reasonable mileage
3) Suitable for female drivers (height is not an issue)

The following are the nominees. I need to know the best which match my requirements:

1) Swish
2) New Dio
3) Meastro

Wego and activa - No-Sister didnt like it. She feels heavier.
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:05   #2105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
1) Swish
2) New Dio
3) Meastro
Let her ride and decide. Swish and Meastro are a size larger than Dio, and its completely upto her choice whether she is comfortable with it or not.

Swish is the best VFM machine out of the three, and the most fun as well. However, Dio may be the best suited one for females, IMO.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:36   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
1) Swish
2) New Dio
3) Meastro
+1 to what @crazydriver said. IMO Swish is a fun to drive however the after sales service of Suzuki is not that well established, you need to be aware of that. Maestro is a rebadged Activa and would be heavier too.

If you can wait till Diwali then two more options will be available - Yamaha Ray and Piaggio Fly 125. Again these will be new launches and post sales would be a question mark.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:23   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Borrowed a colleague's TVS Wego and used it for 60km round trip (office to home - home to office). In one word - Brilliant!!
  • Seating is spot on and felt at ease instantly. Posture is perfect.
  • Had read reviews that the engine is very smooth. Did not believe it until i experienced it last night. Its almost like an electric scooter. (the example i borrowed was an year old and run about 6500 kms). No unnecessary vibrations felt anywhere on the scooter.
  • Brakes are decent for a scooter.
  • I am 6'0 and found the seat height correct and posture did not feel cramped. There was enough room to move the backside on the seat whenever required. Once i found the ideal foot placement, it was more or less like a bike to handle.
  • Body balance is not just hog wash as i thought initially. There is some truth to it, that TVS has taken steps to ensure the ride is effortless and the scooter does not feel heavy to handle in traffic. In fact i was wading through water clogged roads last night and never once felt off balance or bulky to handle. It was like a point and shoot scooter.
  • The sleek and sharp nature of the scooter makes it easy to handle in thick city traffic. Does not require too much space to weave through traffic.
  • Pick up is much better compared to a 11000kms run Activa at home. It picks up speed fast to the Economy zone and then takes a while to move out of it. Once out of economy zone, it again picks up speed fast and feels confident up to75kmph (could not/did not want to try beyond this speed). At 75kmph, Wego feels planted and you can weave through traffic even at such speeds. Comparatively wife's Dio felt unstable at 60-65kmph itself at least to me.
  • Build quality is really solid at least on this vehicle. Very tight and perfect panels without any extra gaps anywhere. Even putting it in potholes does not rattle any parts or feel any parts are loose and might fall off.
But everything is not positive about it too!
  • Headlight is pathetic. Not sure if this vehicle headlight beam was not focused properly or if it plagues all Wego's. No spread and no throw what so ever during the heavy rains last night. It felt like the headlight was not present!!
  • Though it has telescopic shocks up front, the ride quality over uneven roads transfers quite a bit of jarring to the hands. But the ride quality is definitely better than Activa and Dio which we own/owned at home. Could be over inflated tyres which are the culprit here as well.
  • Horn is just there for the sake of it. No one can hear you nor will acknowledge your presence if you honk.
  • The foot board is not long enough if you prefer to keep your feet up front. I have size 10 feet and felt the foot board was cramped to position my legs flat & slightly forward. Moving them to a position similar to the rear set foot pegs of the RTR, i felt comfortable and felt fully in control of the scooter. Might be a deal breaker for some.
All in all, i felt TVS has come up trumps with the Wego and I shall probably recommend my dad to replace the Activa at home with a new Wego and I might end up using it more than him!! It was a hoot in the traffic by scooter standards!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 24th August 2012 at 12:25.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 17:50   #2108
BHPian

Question Help!

Hi Guys,

Please suggest a gearless scooter form among the below candidates:

1) Honda Dio (new)
2) Suzuki Swish
3) TVS Wego

User :

Myself, a 33yr old male. Already have a CBR250 and a Honda City. Need this primarily for running small errands close to home. Very low usage expected less than 3~5kms per day.

My Top Priorities :

- Comfortable low speed ride on bad (read pot holed) roads.
- Good headlight illumination
- Trouble free & dependability
- Stylish looks
- Responsiveness

Not so important :

- Fuel Economy (Mileage)
- On road Price

The Honda Aviator DLX was initially on the top of my list, but i had to strike it off after riding one belonging to my friend as I found the seat height a tad too high for me

So guys, please do give your suggestions and share any feedback / tips regarding any of the above models.

Last edited by vikash49 : 24th August 2012 at 18:07.
Old 24th August 2012, 17:59   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
User :
Myself, a 33yr old male. Already have a CBR250 and a Honda City. Need this primarily for running small errands close to home. Very low usage expected less than 3~5kms per day.
Swish is a good choice from the short list. Ride over bad roads is a priority for you hence the Swish with telescopic suspension would be better over the Dio which has leading link suspension (similar to age old kinetic honda's). It also has a 125cc engine which would be better in response and also the famed Suzuki access engine is known for its low end torque which is the same engine in the Swish. Not sure of headlight illumination on either though.
Old 25th August 2012, 10:38   #2110
BHPian

Dear friends, if you are planning to buy a scooter, wait for 15 days. Yamaha Ray will be launched on Sep 15th in Hyderabad. The bookings have begun already.

Ray will be the MOST FUEL-EFFICIENT scooter..
Old 25th August 2012, 10:52   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Service interval for WEGO is 3 months, engine oil change every 6 months.
What are the service intervals for other scooters and the cost?

Wego - Cost every 6 months - 410rs which includes engine oil change and fuel additive worth 130rs.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:41   #2112
BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Update..

Called up the local Suzuki Dealership and inquired if they had a white Swish in stock.

And they promptly sent over a brand new Pearl White Swish for a test drive

Positives:

+ Good looks. Doesn't look feminine at all.
+ Peppy and responsive engine
+ Very large under seat storage
+ Felt pretty well built overall
+ Headlight spread & illumination was not spectacular but acceptable
+ Body graphics stickers are not laminated, so easy to take off
+ Under seat storage opens from the main ignition lock

Negatives:
- Hard suspension results in harsh ride on broken roads
- Brakes felt wooden (but maybe they were yet to set in as it was a brand new vehicle)
- No Combi-Brake feature
- Very old gen tyres (MRF)

Will test ride the New Dio tomorrow...
Old 26th August 2012, 12:10   #2113
Distinguished - BHPian

A little Why do we use the team 'gearless' with scooters instead of automatic. I am assuming scooters also have gears and just that the shift is automatic like in cars.

We never say gearless cars. We always say automatic/AT cars
Old 26th August 2012, 19:29   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Ray will be the MOST FUEL-EFFICIENT scooter..
Can you substantiate your statement with some proof? The specs for the Ray are not yet out and it will be an over statement to declare it the most fuel efficient rightaway without any proper test drive nor owbnership reviews.
Pls share if you have any thing on Ray.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 08:40   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Red face Will maintenance free battery fit for Honda Activa

Completed the servicing of the Activa with 6100 kms on the Odo. The usual oil change was done costing me Rs 227/-. I took a AMC for a year costing me 771/-, I was told by the workshop mngr that the AMC cost is going to be increased to 1K+ post monsoons.

One issue with the manual kick start was resolved by the workshop, however the battery issue continues. It seems that 2 cells out of 6 in the battery have gone kaput, I was advised to either continue using it or replace it. Replacement with Honda battery will put me back by 1150/-. Is this the correct cost and whether any Activa owners have experienced battery going bad within 2-3 yrs of ownership. Can a maintenance free battery fit in place of existing lead acid battery, if so pls do share the cost and make/model of the battery.
Closed Thread