Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 14th October 2012, 09:03   #2206
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

thanks for the replies err, anyone selling a Suzuki Burgman 250?
Old 15th October 2012, 11:46   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing that. How much did the first service cost you? I am yet to get the service manual. Could you please let me know what is the duration/running interval for the first service?
The first service has to be completed in 1 month from the date of purchase or 500-750kms (whichever is earlier).

The cost of the service:

Engine oil (750ml) + Transmission Oil (100ml) - Rs. 250/-
Lubrication + Greasing - Rs. 80/-

Total - Rs. 330/-

Reason for high running is because i am using it currently as daily commute to office to finish running in soon
But i seriously feel the service intervals are too short for the Wego (or for any scooter that demands service every 3 months). The reason being, the Wego needs an oil change only once every 6000kms. Being a city runabout it is next to impossible to run 3000kms in 2 months (which is the interval for second service) from the date of purchase for office goers. They add on 2500-3000kms for every service henceforth or 3 months (whichever is earlier). Will keep the thread updated since i might use the scooter up to 2nd service before handing over to my dad for his daily running of 3-4kms per day

Last edited by abhinav.s : 15th October 2012 at 11:48.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:43   #2208
BHPian

I am in need of a gear less scooter immediately. I have been following this thread regularly. One thing that all the time this threads suggests me is Wego. But actually this scooter is for my sister who is already using Dio 2006 model and she wants to go again for the new dio only. I also like the looks of new dio but still why again another dio is striking me. Also Honda's reliability is always an important thing to consider because i know about the scooter that i have now.

I am eyeing on Wego/ Swish or the new Yamaha Ray. i see no updates on Ray here. Do any one have any idea about the performance of the scooter. Off course the looks are smart and i really liked it
Old 26th October 2012, 13:53   #2209
BHPian

Same here, was eagerly looking for an official review of the Yamaha Ray. Did test ride it and found it lighter than the competition. I suppose the closest contender is the Dio. Just learnt from the showroom guys that they have brought out the white color on the Ray with an additional sticker price of INR 3500.

Anyone on Team Bhp who bought one? Please share your experience.

Cheers
Old 26th October 2012, 16:55   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Same here, was eagerly looking for an official review of the Yamaha Ray. Did test ride it and found it lighter than the competition. I suppose the closest contender is the Dio. Just learnt from the showroom guys that they have brought out the white color on the Ray with an additional sticker price of INR 3500.

Anyone on Team Bhp who bought one? Please share your experience.

Cheers
I haven't bought one either(but soon will). I found it lighterand it was good to drive. The telescopic forks are also there in it and its a tad cheaper than the competition i assume. The grey and black looks the best on Ray as both these colors along with the violet was available in showroom!!
Old 29th October 2012, 23:06   #2211
BHPian

Hi, I've been following the gearless scooter thread over the past few months. I've been quite confused myself on which bike I should buy that would suit my wife as well as my needs.

Over the past 3 weeks I have studied each of the bikes that I had shortlisted very closely and also visited the showrooms and service centers for Suzuki (Access & Swish), Honda (Activa, Dio and Aviator), Mahindra (Rodeo RZ), TVS (WEGO), Vespa (LX125) and Yamaha (Ray).

I have test ridden each of these scooters and below is the perception that I have gathered for each of the above contenders on my list.

Honda Aviator - Looks are not impressive, its 1 and 1.5 inches taller than Activa and Dio respectively. Liked the way it handled and felt, however ruled it out as I do not like its looks and due to the higher saddle height. The telescopic shocks on this one are impressive. The seating position is too upright. Servicing will require advance booking and over crowded line ups at the service station.

Honda Activa - Not interested in this scooter thought its tried and tested and has great ownership reviews. This one is ruled out due to the old suspension technology and a very common scooter. Servicing will require advance booking and over crowded line ups at the service station.

Honda Dio - Its present form is improved and the riding position is far better than the earlier models. The seating position is upright and will not cause any strain on long rides. The swing arm suspension in front is a big disappointment. This put me off besides the servicing will require advance booking and over crowded line ups at the service station.

The Honda showroom sales staff is courteous and they are ever willing to guide you with decision making and the accessories that should be chosen.

Suzuki Access - Looks bulky and I ruled it out because the scooter is a common sight and the Service Center is overcrowded.

Suzuki Swish - Looks trendy and I liked this bike, especially the 160mm ground clearance. Ruled out because the Sales staff at the Suzuki showroom acted like he is doing me a favour showing me the bike and wasn't courteous enough. The other reason I ruled this bike out is due to the over crowded service centers.

TVS Wego - A good bike, more directed to the fairer sex. I wasn't impressed with the response of the bike to the accelerator. besides its smooth engine it lacked punch at speeds over 50Km/hr. The overall build of the scooter was not upto the mark of the Japanese counterparts, therefore ruled this one out too.

The staff at the showroom is courteous and good. There are so many dealers and service centers, the servicing shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. Thumbs up for that TVS.

Mahindra Duro DZ - The looks are primitive and did not appeal to me. Its more suited for the rural market. The service center is fair and the availability of spares has improved. This one has been ruled out due to the looks and past brand imaging.

Mahindra Rodeo RZ - This scooter caught my fancy with all the frills and thrills it has on offer. A lot seems to have improved from its predecessor and I was bitten by what this scooter offers in terms of utility space, pick up, power, suspension and its refined engine. I almost zeroed in on this one though the past brand imaging has been poor. However I did care to reach out to strangers on the roads riding/owning a Rodeo to understand their experience of owning and riding the Rodeo. The scooter responds extremely well when you open the throttle/accelerate and it seems like its got oodles of juice streaming out of its engine.

All of the people did not have very good experiences to share besides their horror stories of the after sales service. This put me off and I ruled out the Rodeo RZ with a very heavy heart.

The sales staff at the dealership are helpful and try their best to convince you that the Rodeo RZ is a great offering and has been improved over the Rodeo. The showrooms however need to be revamped to make the experience of visiting the showroom more pleasant.

Vespa LX 125 - What a scooter, wow! There is a special offer on this one upto the 10th of November 12, you save INR 9,213/- now. The onroad price without any accessories is INR 72,000/-

The experience at the showroom is warm and you feel like a star.

The scooter feels great to ride on, with the seating/riding position being spot on. The pick up and power on this scooter is amazing.

The scooter rides superbly and if I could stretch INR 12,000/- (over my prescribed budget of INR 60,000/-) then I would have looked no further.

Yamaha Ray - This scooter has sharp lines unlike the Access, WEGO, Swish, Rodeo and the Activa. The lighter shades sure are best for girls, however the black and the grey appealed to me. I am sure it should suit me and my wife though this scooter has been positioned just for the fairer sex.

The scooter fires up with a spurt and the engine is very responsive upto the speed of 60Km/hr. It handles very well and the seating/riding position is just about right (not spot on though). The suspension is stiff and at higher speeds it kind of floats over rough roads. I was however disappointed with the ground clearance of 128mm. To ensure it does not bottom out, I intentionally rode into all possible pot holes and as many speed breakers that I could find and it sure did surprise me.

The scooter felt just about right for city commute with minimal strain. The suspension is great and the handling is fantastic. If you want a scooter that will zip upto 85Kms/hr then this is definitely not the one. This scooter is more a balanced mix of most of the scooters that I had on my list.

The staff at the showroom are courteous and seem proud to be associated with Yamaha (a good thing to note). The service center looked a lot more streamlined in comparison to its competitors.

Based on my analysis I have zeroed in on the Yamaha Ray. I think it should be the perfect ride for my wife and ofcourse some of my short trips to the places where my car wouldn't squeeze in.

Impressed with the ride, I finally paid up the full amount and would be taking the delivery of the Yamaha Ray in the next day or two.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th October 2012 at 00:23.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:27   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

@yikes6633

Congratulations on the Yamaha Ray booking, forum can hope for a detailed ownership review and with lots of pics. How much is the OTR cost of the scooter, what accessories come along with the it and what are you intending to have additionally? Is the scooter readily available off the shelf?

You are right about the Honda & Suzuki service centres being always crowded and booking a slot for servicing is a challenge sometimes.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:46   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@yikes6633

Congratulations on the Yamaha Ray booking, forum can hope for a detailed ownership review and with lots of pics. How much is the OTR cost of the scooter, what accessories come along with the it and what are you intending to have additionally? Is the scooter readily available off the shelf?

You are right about the Honda & Suzuki service centres being always crowded and booking a slot for servicing is a challenge sometimes.
The OTR cost is 55,168/- and the scooter does not come with any accessories, however the side stand and number plates are part of the standard fitment.

The dealership has not received the list of accessories and they confirmed that there are none available at the moment.

The dealership confirmed that by the end of November they would have the front and rear crash guards (I will not be interested in this accessory), the ladies foot rest (will definitely need this), Floor mat (will need this) and the front mudguard fender (will need this one too).

The dealer has offered a free teflon coating and buzzer as part of the deal.

The scooter is readily available as most of the people who have booked the scooter in Aug/Sep have adopted the wait and watch strategy or cancelled it after it being positioned for the fairer sex (definitely a gender bias), however the scooter definitely does/will appeal to both the sexes given its dio like stance at the front and its sharp lines.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:51   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
The OTR cost is 55,168/- and the scooter does not come with any accessories, however the side stand and number plates are part of the standard fitment.

The dealer has offered a free teflon coating and buzzer as part of the deal.
Lucky you, Honda even charges for the number plate. Suggest you to opt for Underbody anti rust coating instead of teflon coating. Suprised the low GC does not affect the scooter ride. Any idea how much max kgs of weight will the Ray handle, its 170 kgs for Activa.
Old 30th October 2012, 09:50   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Lucky you, Honda even charges for the number plate. Suggest you to opt for Underbody anti rust coating instead of teflon coating. Suprised the low GC does not affect the scooter ride. Any idea how much max kgs of weight will the Ray handle, its 170 kgs for Activa.
Sure thing, will go in for the anti rust coating. Not sure what the payload of the Ray is.

The scooter responded very well with no drop in its performance whatsoever upto 60kms/hr with a pillion rider, however after the 60kms mark the scooter struggles upto 75kms/hr where it maxes out.

To clear my doubts on its ground clearance, I took the scooter for a longer ride with a pillion after my initial solo rides at different Yamaha showrooms. My weight is 68kilos and the pillion weighed 62kilos. It did extremely well and showed no signs of lag upto 60kms/hr.

It whizzed past the long speed breakers and climbed up the short speed breakers with ease and absolute body control. It dipped into the potholes and emerged out with minimal strain. On the rough patches at speeds above 25kms/hr it kind of floated over them. The scooter did not bottom out. The shocks, though a bit stiff at the front do an excellent job.

I was extremely concerned about the ground clearance and only after I was convinced that the scooter will not bottom out given its GC of 128mm did I pay up the full amount.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:59   #2216
BHPian

There is a brilliant write up comparing the Dio and the Ray on Zigwheels. Here is the link to it, http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...parison/14567/
Old 31st October 2012, 09:55   #2217
BHPian

I've taken the delivery of the Yamaha Ray. My wife will be surprised when I hand over the keys to her this evening.

I will also start a separate ownership review on this bike, the Yamaha Ray
Old 1st November 2012, 09:52   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
The Owners manual confirms a pay load of 156Kgs on the Yamaha Ray.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:07   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
But i seriously feel the service intervals are too short for the Wego (or for any scooter that demands service every 3 months).
I agree. With Suzuki Access, the service interval is 2 months. Our Access will complete 2 years in February and then will be out of warranty. I am not sure what should be the service interval after that, but we won't be servicing it that frequently any more.
They also change gear oil during each service - I really would like to understand why that is needed.
In our last service, (around 6000KM ODO), they did a carburetor cleaning as well, though that is not mentioned in the manual.
Of course, the scooter seems better after each service (more silent, less bumpy and better pickup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Over the past 3 weeks I have studied each of the bikes that I had shortlisted very closely and also visited the showrooms and service centers for Suzuki (Access & Swish), Honda (Activa, Dio and Aviator), Mahindra (Rodeo RZ), TVS (WEGO), Vespa (LX125) and Yamaha (Ray).
Good job. It is nice of you to have this comparison. How tall are you?
Quote:
I was however disappointed with the ground clearance of 128mm.
I am actually surprised that ground clearance is such an important criteria for a scooter. I never thought about ground clearance since for any bad patch you always have to slow down completely on a two wheeler and at such low speeds, even 100 mm will be just fine as long as the wheelbase is not very long.
Quote:
Impressed with the ride, I finally paid up the full amount and would be taking the delivery of the Yamaha Ray in the next day or two.
Congratulations! Awaiting pictures and a detailed review.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:03   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I agree. With Suzuki Access, the service interval is 2 months. Our Access will complete 2 years in February and then will be out of warranty. I am not sure what should be the service interval after that, but we won't be servicing it that frequently any more.
They also change gear oil during each service - I really would like to understand why that is needed.
In our last service, (around 6000KM ODO), they did a carburetor cleaning as well, though that is not mentioned in the manual.
Of course, the scooter seems better after each service (more silent, less bumpy and better pickup).

Good job. It is nice of you to have this comparison. How tall are you?

I am actually surprised that ground clearance is such an important criteria for a scooter. I never thought about ground clearance since for any bad patch you always have to slow down completely on a two wheeler and at such low speeds, even 100 mm will be just fine as long as the wheelbase is not very long.

Congratulations! Awaiting pictures and a detailed review.
@SUN, I have started a new thread on my ownership experience and have posted some pictures there. The thread is titled "Yamaha and the Ray of hope"
Closed Thread