Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 1st November 2012, 19:05   #2221
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I am also looking for a two wheeler. Currently, we had a bajaj Wave which is being used by one and all for short commutes, not more than a km. We have had horrific experience with spare part availablity, considering that the vehicle was a flop and not many were sold. On the other hand, it has a 110cc engine, and some other goodies. Performance is good and with regular servicing, it now stands at just 16k km on the ODO. That has been covered in around eight years! I am planning to replace it ASAP, as it needs a brake overhaul and the Bajaj ASC are not having stock of parts. Moreover, its time the vehicle retired. I want this vehicle for myself, and I will be the primary user. Need to find a good alternative to taking the car out everytime. Daily usage will be there, but short bursts, totalling upto 5km max.

To be frank, I am hell bent on the Honda Dio. The reason is that we purchased one for our native place, again for short commutes to farm and so. It rides superb. There has been good improvement in power output compared to the previous dio. After riding it, I was very much happy with the vehicle. Now, here are the reasons I am considering the Dio:
  • Fit and Finish
  • Ability to withstand abuse
  • Trendy and young image(for people like me)
  • Ability to find parts easily(I know Honda after sales sucks, but if I can get the parts easily, its not a problem to maintain the vehicle. I have kept my wave also in pristine condition and i dont think doing the same for a dio is much difficult)

Now, the contenders I looked at were:
1. Activa, not interested as the Dio is much more agile and peppy. Again, image is influencing me.
2. Wego, Kinda looks more like the scooty. It does have some good handling(the body balance thingy). Again it has the scooty image.
3. Aviator, 10k more for a bigger vehicle, and alloys and discs. Quite interesting, but considering the running of the vehicle, all that is not necessary.
4. Access and Swish: Can consider, but again very common and looks good for elderly and middle aged people. Suits them very well.
5. No mahindra for me. I am sure it will be similar to my Wave, and I am not willing to go for one even if its offered at half the price.
6. Just looked at the Ray. Seems interesting. But when Yamaha claims to make this one as a feminine focused scooter, it is turning me away.

What do you guys suggest? For a college goer kind of person like me, doesn't dio suit well? I am aware of the lack of telescopic forks at front, but how serious is this? The dio we purchased was test driven by me in the worst village roads. I never had an issue with the suspension. Only thing is that I would have preferred discs at front and alloys. Is spending 10k more for the aviator worth it?
Old 1st November 2012, 20:55   #2222
Senior - BHPian

^^ I am also musing about buying a new two wheeler. If I decide on a scooter, it will be the Honda Aviator DLX, with the disc brake. I have come to the conclusion it is the best option at the moment.
Old 1st November 2012, 22:45   #2223
BHPian

Here is another test review of the Yamaha Ray by Auto car. http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...st-ride.aspx/1
Old 2nd November 2012, 18:30   #2224
Distinguished - BHPian

Went on a drive along the outer ring road, bsk 3rd stage and visited hero, honda and yamaha dealers. Took a test drive of the Ray. The vehicle is smallish looking, but is very impressive with respect to performance. Looks trendier than the dio. However, it really has a feminine strategy behind. I was greeted with salesgirls handing out pink brochures of the vehicle and a pink one was kept on display. Thank god I was offered a black vehicle for test drive. Braking, handling and accelaration was good and the guy who accompanied me for the TD told it will get better after running in. The scooter had just 130kms on the odo. Except for the marketing strategy, I am happy about the vehicle. It is very much similar to the dio, except that it is offering telescopic forks at front compared to the dio. So I think that the 2k price difference is justified.

Power output seems to be 7bhp vs 8bhp for the honda trio. Not sure if that matters a lot. As I dont ride regularly, I couldn't make out any difference in the vehicle compared to activa or dio. Still, I am inclined towards the dio. Which color do you guys suggest between white and matt grey?
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:13   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Went on a drive along the outer ring road, bsk 3rd stage and visited hero, honda and yamaha dealers. Took a test drive of the Ray. The vehicle is smallish looking, but is very impressive with respect to performance. Looks trendier than the dio. However, it really has a feminine strategy behind. I was greeted with salesgirls handing out pink brochures of the vehicle and a pink one was kept on display. Thank god I was offered a black vehicle for test drive. Braking, handling and accelaration was good and the guy who accompanied me for the TD told it will get better after running in. The scooter had just 130kms on the odo. Except for the marketing strategy, I am happy about the vehicle. It is very much similar to the dio, except that it is offering telescopic forks at front compared to the dio. So I think that the 2k price difference is justified.

Power output seems to be 7bhp vs 8bhp for the honda trio. Not sure if that matters a lot. As I dont ride regularly, I couldn't make out any difference in the vehicle compared to activa or dio. Still, I am inclined towards the dio. Which color do you guys suggest between white and matt grey?
@audioholic, I was in a similar dilemma until Monday this week. I had shortlisted the Dio and the Ray. I was very much inclined towards the Dio, however given that the technology is more than a decade old with a spruced up engine by 7cc, a reworked torque of 1 Nm (from 7 to 8) and spruced up body panels, it still is an old lady with a new saree.

The Ray feels more compact and the foot board is 2 inches narrower giving it a feminine feel. The handle bar is as wide as it is on the Dio. Given the fact that my wife would be using it most of the time and I may use it now and then, it was easier for me to go with the Ray given the telescopic suspension, the yamaha dna and ofcourse the peppy 113cc engine.

If the dio was offered with the telescopic suspension then I sure would have opted for it without a second thought. If you do go for the Dio, go for the white color. The matt grey (though more catchy and cool) looks best when clean and looks kind of old when dirty and that's a turn off.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 3rd November 2012 at 13:34. Reason: Added a point on the color selection
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 17:22   #2226
BHPian

Needed some information / help in choosing the right set of good tyres for the Access please.

Am picking up a new vehicle for my better-half's market runs and i would prefer to ensure a good set of tyres before it hits the road.

Any Access owners in this forum can confirm if the stock vehicle comes with tubeless tyres and their effeciency please.
Old 18th November 2012, 17:58   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth
Needed some information / help in choosing the right set of good tyres for the Access please.

Am picking up a new vehicle for my better-half's market runs and i would prefer to ensure a good set of tyres before it hits the road.

Any Access owners in this forum can confirm if the stock vehicle comes with tubeless tyres and their effeciency please.
Almost all the tyres that come on scooters are similar in grip levels. So it does not make sense to buy new ones . Because there is nothing drastically better available after market. So I suggest you stick with stock ones. Just ensure that you fill in proper pressure according to manual and not the usual 26 front 36rear that the petrol pump fills up . Proper pressure Will help extract maximum grip.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 16:28   #2228
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to take a scooter for my wife. Since I dont keep myself updated on this segment, I have absolutely no idea what to get. I have seen many new models in this segment other than the usual Dio/Activa.

Here are few things that I looking after

1) Light weight and easy to use
2) Reliable and good service
3) Reasonable price
Old 19th November 2012, 17:00   #2229
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been nearly a week since I got the Dio home. Its been riding fine, and it feels easy to handle around. Honda sales experience was obviously no good, but I am happy with the vehicle. It is smooth, good pickup with slight accelarator input, ride is not too bumpy. Haven't pushed my dio, but there is another one in my native which has run in and the scoot is pretty good at high speeds too.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-dsc07223.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 19th November 2012 at 17:07.
Old 19th November 2012, 18:45   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Its been nearly a week since I got the Dio home. Its been riding fine, and it feels easy to handle around. Honda sales experience was obviously no good, but I am happy with the vehicle. It is smooth, good pickup with slight accelarator input, ride is not too bumpy. Haven't pushed my dio, but there is another one in my native which has run in and the scoot is pretty good at high speeds too.

Attachment 1016508
Congrats! for your new ride

@Naveen, just go in for the Yamaha Ray blindly, you and your better half will love it
Old 19th November 2012, 19:11   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Yikes Yes I do agree with your suggestion. The Ray would make a real good deal for the price it is sold at. In addition to what the dio offers, it also comes with Telscopic forks up front, which swallowed undulations better than how the Dio does. It is just 2k costlier than the Dio.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:50   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I am also musing about buying a new two wheeler. If I decide on a scooter, it will be the Honda Aviator DLX, with the disc brake. I have come to the conclusion it is the best option at the moment.
Ganesan sir,
Please consider something other than Aviator. We have one with the disc brake and seriously will not recommend it to anyone. Except for the braking(Which I would say the best in class) everything else is mediocore. Please search this thread for the list of issues I had with this scooter. I would suggest you to have a look at Access, it is built better and ages well.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 16:49   #2233

i am planning to buy a scooter for me and my better half.. have decided between suzuki access, hero maestro.. honda is a no no as the waiting for all models is there for 3-4 months minimum . i like the suzuki swish as have read about the performance of it on many websites. any suggestions
Old 21st November 2012, 17:38   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_supra View Post
i am planning to buy a scooter for me and my better half.. have decided between suzuki access, hero maestro.. honda is a no no as the waiting for all models is there for 3-4 months minimum . i like the suzuki swish as have read about the performance of it on many websites. any suggestions
Do consider the Yamaha Ray if your better half will use the scooter as much as you would.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:18   #2235
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is there a waiting period for activa? Here it is available off the shelf. I got my dio in two working days even though I paid the amount in cheque, subject to realisation. The maestro offers a unique console that can make the dio or any other scoot run for cover However, apart from the console, everything else is like an activa. The access is good too. So it boils down to ones choice when it comes to two wheelers. There is no major or significant difference.
Closed Thread