Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2012, 20:27   #2236

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

THANKs folks for the suggestion. however there is a issue with ray.. its too girlish and the branding is towards women. so thats a big turnoff. (my wife anyways is inclined to pink color vehicle , have got her to consider red). does anyone know how the suzuki swish is., no one has bought it in team bhp it seems. and how does maestro compare to dio . as waiting for activa is too long . and the dealer here seems to ask for black of extra 6-7000 for early delivery.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:57   #2237
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Same reason I did not buy the Ray. Else at that price it is the best thing to buy. I expect suzuki swish to be as good or bad as access as they both are the same vehicle in different clothing.

Between maestro and dio, again a tough choice, and its just the image that matters IMO. And the Hero showroom was like some govt. office when I visited and the dealership experience was worse than Honda too. Fit and finish was not as goodas what I have in my Dio. You get a digital console in addition to the dio or activa. No other difference. And that is offered at a higher price than the dio.
Old 25th November 2012, 15:59   #2238

yesterday I went for a test drive and look out on various scooters in Mumbai. my initial impression of the various scooters I had along with the dealership experience.

1. hero maestro - as I saw the hero maestro in red. I am impressed. the size of the scooter is on larger side. and gives a big scooter experience. the seat of the scooter is the biggest in all scooters in india. in red it looked quite nice along with the digital meter . the dealers dint have a test drive vehicle , do dint knew how it was in driving. my wife was apprehensive to use it as she said she felt intimidated by its big size. on road of 57000 + 5000 accessories is good value I felt.

2. Piaggio Vespa - it looks impressive from far, as you go near it it looks quite ordinary. very expensive at 77000 without accessories. dint even feel asking with accessories. is heavier then maestro as full steel body. my wife just said a no regarding it.

3. Suzuki swish/access- we were impressed with Suzuki dealership attention to customers. they let us see the vehicle. Suzuki access looks quite bland and old generation types was out of our list. Suzuki swish looked comfortable and my wife to liked the riding position. my wife and me both liked the scooter looks . she likes red and I like white/ black, the scooter has amazing pickup along with quite comfortable suspension and handling. at 57000 + 3000 for accessories is good value. don't know about the average. the dealer told city avg of 35 and highway of 40+ . don't know how true is that. need to know the service center quality of Suzuki and also its pickup.

here comes a twist, my wife wanted to see Honda aviator as its next common thing to pao bhaji in Mumbai. jokes apart its too common scooter.so thought of checking it out

4. Honda active/dio/aviator- Honda dealers are really arrogant I must say, there was a sea of customers inside. hence paying less attention to prospective customers. finally after 10 minutes waiting saw the 3 scooters. active was out as waiting is 3-4 months minimum waiting, Honda dio has a 2-3 months waiting, only Honda aviator has delivery period of 1 month. Honda aviator looks a very neat and classy looking scooter, price is 57000 without disc and 63000 on road for disc model. the dealer told avg of Honda aviator is 35kmpl city and 40 on highway. the response for Honda dealer is quite unimpressive. service centers are crowded thanks to again number of vehicles and less service center in Mumbai. private mechanics for a new vehicle is a complete no.

so now the contender are Suzuki swish/ hero maestro/ Honda aviator. will decide soon with wife.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:51   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_supra
yesterday I went for a test drive and look out on various scooters in Mumbai. my initial impression of the various scooters I had along with the dealership experience.

1. hero maestro - as I saw the hero maestro in red. I am impressed. the size of the scooter is on larger side. and gives a big scooter experience. the seat of the scooter is the biggest in all scooters in india. in red it looked quite nice along with the digital meter . the dealers dint have a test drive vehicle , do dint knew how it was in driving. my wife was apprehensive to use it as she said she felt intimidated by its big size. on road of 57000 + 5000 accessories is good value I felt.

2. Piaggio Vespa - it looks impressive from far, as you go near it it looks quite ordinary. very expensive at 77000 without accessories. dint even feel asking with accessories. is heavier then maestro as full steel body. my wife just said a no regarding it.

3. Suzuki swish/access- we were impressed with Suzuki dealership attention to customers. they let us see the vehicle. Suzuki access looks quite bland and old generation types was out of our list. Suzuki swish looked comfortable and my wife to liked the riding position. my wife and me both liked the scooter looks . she likes red and I like white/ black, the scooter has amazing pickup along with quite comfortable suspension and handling. at 57000 + 3000 for accessories is good value. don't know about the average. the dealer told city avg of 35 and highway of 40+ . don't know how true is that. need to know the service center quality of Suzuki and also its pickup.

here comes a twist, my wife wanted to see Honda aviator as its next common thing to pao bhaji in Mumbai. jokes apart its too common scooter.so thought of checking it out

4. Honda active/dio/aviator- Honda dealers are really arrogant I must say, there was a sea of customers inside. hence paying less attention to prospective customers. finally after 10 minutes waiting saw the 3 scooters. active was out as waiting is 3-4 months minimum waiting, Honda dio has a 2-3 months waiting, only Honda aviator has delivery period of 1 month. Honda aviator looks a very neat and classy looking scooter, price is 57000 without disc and 63000 on road for disc model. the dealer told avg of Honda aviator is 35kmpl city and 40 on highway. the response for Honda dealer is quite unimpressive. service centers are crowded thanks to again number of vehicles and less service center in Mumbai. private mechanics for a new vehicle is a complete no.

so now the contender are Suzuki swish/ hero maestro/ Honda aviator. will decide soon with wife.
I own a suzuki access and its fabulous. Superb pickup, decent mileage and easy maintainence. Swish should be same. Also do have look at TVS Wego. Heard lot of praises of it.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:56   #2240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_supra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
I own a suzuki access and its fabulous. Superb pickup, decent mileage and easy maintainence. Swish should be same. Also do have look at TVS Wego. Heard lot of praises of it.
We have a Hero Maestro at home, and I can safely say that as a product - Swish is a better choice compared to the Maestro (May be except for the looks!). They are priced similarly too, which makes Swish even better.

By the way - Maestro is a wonderful scooter too. We choice it over Swish as Hero service is available very close to home, and hence its convenient for wife. Maestro drives and feels like a bigger cousin of the Activa (which is exactly what it is underneath!).
Old 26th November 2012, 08:36   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks Yikes Yes I do agree with your suggestion. The Ray would make a real good deal for the price it is sold at. In addition to what the dio offers, it also comes with Telscopic forks up front, which swallowed undulations better than how the Dio does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Planning to take a scooter for my wife.
1) Light weight and easy to use
2) Reliable and good service
3) Reasonable price
Quote:
Why is there a waiting period for activa? Here it is available off the shelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_supra View Post
THANKs folks for the suggestion. however there is a issue with ray.. its too girlish and the branding is towards women. so thats a big turnoff. (my wife anyways is inclined to pink color vehicle , have got her to consider red)
Guys,

No offence to the Ray owners but a small comparison with Honda Activa where Ray falls short.
1) Low fuel tank capacity
2) No tuff up tube tyres
3) Brake lock not available.
4) Less underseat storage (not that Activa capacity is that great)
5) Small footboard, too less space to keep those plastic bags
6) Key Shutter lock not available
7) Low GC.
8) Wafer thin service network.
9) Headlamps do not follow the handle turns

Where Activa falls short
1) telescopic front suspensions not available.
2) Hyped waiting period.
3) Old dated design - no eye catching graphics.

Honda Activa waiting period is all but a hype usually created by Honda dealers. Suggest to write to Honda directly on their website, I am sure more epople write to Honda about that, the faster response will be from the dealer(atleast worked in my case). Honda Dio also suffers from headlamps not following the handle turns

@Naveen,raju,
I would suggest Hero Pleasure for your wife, it meets all you requirements.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 10:13   #2242

HONDA dealers in western mumbai are clearing saying a waiting period of 4 months+ . for someone willing to pay extra 7-8000 , vehicle is available in a week. i guess this a faster way of making money. as people buying honda activa for reliabilty , and dealers want to mint the customer. its giving a bad name to honda . Also for booking a service one needs to get it well in advance for service as it is crowded. and many friends of mine who own a activa tell that the service is not great as many things are ignored in it.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:40   #2243
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed yes. However, I am still amazed by the dealers who are stating huge waiting periods. Here, when I purchased my Dio, there was no waiting period for any model. That is without any haggling or paying premium. The first thing I asked them in the showroom was the waiting period. The salesman instantly told all models are available immediately. Once I gave the cheque, he even took me to the yard to select the vehicle. After that, the delivery was delayed due to RTO holidays, and I got the vehicle in two working days. I suggest that one should write a mail to HMSI. Maybe they can intervene. With rising competition levels and a steadily growing Access sales, Honda better watch out such things and take corrective action.
Old 26th November 2012, 14:57   #2244

in mumbai two wheelers especially scooters have gained huge amount of popularity . in mumbai the ratio for 2 wheelers is slowly tilting towards scooter in the 125 cc segment. honda activa sells like crazy , and people swear by its reliabilty . honda dio is still qutie new and can only be found near coffee shops with teenagers and other youngsters around. activa sells 10 times or even more then all other scooters by honda and its competitors. Although i have started noticing other competitiors such as tvs wego and suzuki access also around. rest scooters are there in bits and pieces ,here and there
Old 5th December 2012, 08:40   #2245
BHPian

The Yamaha Ray has been awarded the "Scooter of the Year" by Top Gear Magazine. Yamaha have indeed pulled a winner out of their hat!
Old 5th December 2012, 09:54   #2246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633
The Yamaha Ray has been awarded the "Scooter of the Year" by Top Gear Magazine. Yamaha have indeed pulled a winner out of their hat!
Just out of curiosity- which other new scooters were launched this year? The award should only be for the 2012 launches.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:05   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

In addtion to Yamaha Ray, the following scooters were launched in 2012.
1) Hero Maestro
2) Suzuki Swish
3) New Honda Dio
4) Piaggio Vespa

And I thought Vespa would take the honours.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:57   #2248
Distinguished - BHPian

My Honda dio seems to be misfiring, or rather afterfiring. The exhaust pops if I let go of the throttle. Did anyone face the same problem? I think its a tuning issue. Or is this a permanent issue?
Old 5th December 2012, 14:29   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
My Honda dio seems to be misfiring, or rather afterfiring. The exhaust pops if I let go of the throttle. Did anyone face the same problem? I think its a tuning issue. Or is this a permanent issue?
@audiholic, Not sure id the pop sound you hear is from the exhaust or the carburetor.

This is definitely a tuning issue. The settings are made such that there is an optimum mixture of petrol and air that flows to the combustion chambers.

When the mixture is rich in air there is most likely going to be a pop sound or a feeling that the engine just misfired. This pop sound is most likely from the carb.

In case you are riding at a constant speed, lets say 30kms/hr and then release the throttle, there may be a pop sound in the exhaust as the gasses coming out of the engine (combustion chambers) pops through the different chambers in the exhaust pipe/silencer. This is normal and has nothing to do with the tuning of the carb/engine.

Since yours is a new bike, please share how many kms you have covered thus far?

Also, when you leave your bike for the 1st service, request the service guy to check engine timing and also tune the carb for optimum fuel efficiency.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 14:38   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
In addtion to Yamaha Ray, the following scooters were launched in 2012.
1) Hero Maestro
2) Suzuki Swish
3) New Honda Dio
4) Piaggio Vespa

And I thought Vespa would take the honours.
In addition to the above the other scooter launched earlier this year was the:

5) Mahindra Rodeo RZ
Closed Thread