Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 25th December 2012, 19:55   #2266
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
[*]Wego[*]Swish[*]Maestro[/list]
My suggestion - go for the Wego of the three. Reg your reqmt of illumniation, Wego does have a good throw in the night.

Just completed the paid service of my Activa. The usual done - oil replace, a bit rattling rectified etc. The turn indicator buzzer had gone bad, got it replaced. To my horror the new buzzer stop working by the time I reached home after picking Activa from workshop. The workshop manager was kind enough to send a technician to have a look who found it as bad buzzer. Imagine new buzzer going bad within minutes. Couldn't argue much since it was not an Honda product, but workshop replaced it with a brand new working buzzer.

Vihaan Honda in Thane where normally I get the Activa serviced are opening 2 workshops more in Thane to cater to growing Honda scooters/bikes being sold in Thane. One on the Ghodbunder Road near Ovla and second one near Kalher on the Thane - Bhiwandi road.
Old 25th December 2012, 20:33   #2267
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
I want to give her something much safe (metal body).

What is readily available?
  • Wego
  • Swish
  • Maestro
I think Wego is the only metal body scooter in this list.
Old 25th December 2012, 20:46   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My suggestion - go for the Wego of the three. Reg your reqmt of illumniation, Wego does have a good throw in the night.

Just completed the paid service of my Activa. The usual done - oil replace, a bit rattling rectified etc. The turn indicator buzzer had gone bad, got it replaced. To my horror the new buzzer stop working by the time I reached home after picking Activa from workshop. The workshop manager was kind enough to send a technician to have a look who found it as bad buzzer. Imagine new buzzer going bad within minutes. Couldn't argue much since it was not an Honda product, but workshop replaced it with a brand new working buzzer.

Vihaan Honda in Thane where normally I get the Activa serviced are opening 2 workshops more in Thane to cater to growing Honda scooters/bikes being sold in Thane. One on the Ghodbunder Road near Ovla and second one near Kalher on the Thane - Bhiwandi road.

I have an AMC with Sai Point Honda. Totally hopeless service to say atleast, for a breakdown, they took two days to pick up the vehicle. It seems that their service assurance is within the service station only; anything loose/damaged, will remain tight only within the service area, as soon as you step out, it'll start rattling again.

Pain areas being - loose mirrors, weak headlamps, rattling body parts, non availability of handle clips etc. If I leave aside a few good service personnel; I think honda is to be blamed here.

If I have to compare this to Hero Motors; my Hunk used to be handpicked from house, serviced, delivered back home and all the problems being resolved with an assurance that it won't come up. Hence, a bit of leaning towards Hero Maestro.
Old 25th December 2012, 23:50   #2269
Distinguished - BHPian

Same experience with Honda service here. They absolutely are no good. Even Bajaj gave me excellent after sales experience for my Wave, which was a phased out scooter, and yet they would do their best to rectify problems and get the vehicle in top shape. Just a free service gave me a bad experience, I am not sure how good the other services will be. I had a misfiring issue which was not even heard by the manager and it was not solved. Warranty be damned, I think I will stick to a local mechanic for servicing. I will source Genuine parts and a good brand oil and get the services done myself. Else, I doubt these guys even change the oil also. I saw one guy coughing up 3150 for service. Not sure what was the problem. They just wash the vehicle, hand it back. When the service center accepts more than 50 vehicles a day, and has just one service bay, what more can they do?
Old 26th December 2012, 00:05   #2270
BHPian

My wego has run about 4500 kms in 1.9 years. My last fuel fill gave a huge drop in mileage from 49-50kmpl to 44 and now to 40 kmpl. Don't know what is the problem. I had used the choke to start the scooter in the morning and left it pulled out on 3-4 occasions. Can this cause mileage drop?

And regarding the headlight, I had a Philips Xtreme Power H4 from my Honda city, out of which one had conked off. I asked the TVS Service center to replace the stock bulb of the Wego with the Xtreme power. Now the throw and the brightness is phenomenal. I always keep it on low beam though as the high beam is blinding. Not sure how this will affect the battery or anything. Going well so far.
Old 26th December 2012, 00:25   #2271

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
My wego has run about 4500 kms in 1.9 years.
=====I always keep it on low beam though as the high beam is blinding. Not sure how this will affect the battery or anything. Going well so far.
Hi, hrman can you check whether your choke got stuck, because it can have a huge impact on the mileage. If the choke is stuck, then it can decrease the mileage as you have mentioned.

For the battery issue, the earlier Wego's came with an 4Ah battery. This battery unfortunately does not have sufficient juice. Hope you did not face much problems while starting your wego in the morning. Once your battery degrades, I think you can switch over to 5Ah battery which is the stock battery in current Wego's.
ks14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 00:43   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
while 17 kms looks a lot
17 kms on SV/link road in peak traffic is A LOT.

All those who have to commute on SV/Link/LBS/JVLR roads day in day out, it must be

Riding a DIO for such long can be tiring since DIO suspension is on the harder side.

I would suggest going for the scooter with best suspension.
How about AVIATOR? i found front shocks of avaitor the best in all scooters.

Wego is good, headlight is also good enough, but front forks are on harder side, but rear suspension is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
My wego has run about 4500 kms in 1.9 years.
My wego has done 4400 kms in 9 months, returns between 40-45 easily no issues, no starting problems yet and service has been excellent till date.

I only wish the front suspension was softer and rear seat had more cusion which would help on longer drives.

As far as Fitting extreme bulb on scooter, i am afraid it might be draning the battery, so be carefull and get the battery voltage checked.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 12:09   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Same experience with Honda service here. They absolutely are no good. I saw one guy coughing up 3150 for service. Not sure what was the problem. They just wash the vehicle, hand it back. When the service center accepts more than 50 vehicles a day, and has just one service bay, what more can they do?
Honda service is on the expensive side. My Dio servicing bills are on the higher side as compared to my Zen or Nano!

Btw, is anyone encountering rusting rims on their Dio? Both the rims are rusted here and that is panicking me. As per them a new RIM will set me back by 1600 rupees (I remember Zen rims used to cost 600/piece till a few years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
17 kms on SV/link road in peak traffic is A LOT.

All those who have to commute on SV/Link/LBS/JVLR roads day in day out, it must be

Riding a DIO for such long can be tiring since DIO suspension is on the harder side.

I would suggest going for the scooter with best suspension.
How about AVIATOR? i found front shocks of avaitor the best in all scooters.

Wego is good, headlight is also good enough, but front forks are on harder side, but rear suspension is excellent.

My wego has done 4400 kms in 9 months, returns between 40-45 easily no issues, no starting problems yet and service has been excellent till date.

I only wish the front suspension was softer and rear seat had more cusion which would help on longer drives.

As far as Fitting extreme bulb on scooter, i am afraid it might be draning the battery, so be carefull and get the battery voltage checked.
That is right silverado. However, as per wifey, she encounters traffic only on the Dahisar Checknaka and some stretches in Malad. With the detiriorating service, I don't want to touch a Honda again; absolutely unhappy with their parts quality; I have test driven a wego and quite liked it especially the body balance bit! However, not having a TVS in my portfolio ever is making me jittery of taking the first step here.

Isn't Maestro metal body too? Can I not upgrade the headlamps of Dio?
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 10:39   #2274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honda service is on the expensive side. My Dio servicing bills are on the higher side as compared to my Zen or Nano!

Btw, is anyone encountering rusting rims on their Dio? Both the rims are rusted here and that is panicking me. As per them a new RIM will set me back by 1600 rupees (I remember Zen rims used to cost 600/piece till a few years ago).
I wouldnt mind paying money, but I require equal Value in return. The attitude of the so called service advisor itself sucks. Fearing their poor service, I am considering an oil change myself for my dio, as I cant trust these fellows. My rims are powder coated, so I think they are a bit resistant to corrosion. Even my wagonRs rims cost 840 a piece. Not sure what is so great about the rims of the Dio.
If you have the S1 or S2 type of bulbs(as in the old dio), you cant upgrade them. The newer ones have got HS1, which is similar to the H4 on cars. One more grouse is that manufacturers these days are giving batteries of only 3Ah capacity. The stock lams itself dims when I apply the brakes. So I think an upgrade will beat down the battery. My older scoot had a 5.5ah battery which I had changed to 6Ah. If I can change this battery to a higher capacity one, I will consider 60/55watt lamps.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:29   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I wouldnt mind paying money, but I require equal Value in return. The attitude of the so called service advisor itself sucks. Fearing their poor service, I am considering an oil change myself for my dio, as I cant trust these fellows. My rims are powder coated, so I think they are a bit resistant to corrosion. Even my wagonRs rims cost 840 a piece. Not sure what is so great about the rims of the Dio.
If you have the S1 or S2 type of bulbs(as in the old dio), you cant upgrade them. The newer ones have got HS1, which is similar to the H4 on cars. One more grouse is that manufacturers these days are giving batteries of only 3Ah capacity. The stock lams itself dims when I apply the brakes. So I think an upgrade will beat down the battery. My older scoot had a 5.5ah battery which I had changed to 6Ah. If I can change this battery to a higher capacity one, I will consider 60/55watt lamps.
Mine too are poweder coated, but have accumulated rust now! My Dio is the 2011 model; Yes, I agree with you on the battery part, Honda gives the "maintenance free" bettery. That's the first part that I had to change in the very first year!
Old 27th December 2012, 16:12   #2276
BHPian

After reading through almost all of the 152 pages, I think I'm going to opt for the Yamaha Ray over the Dio.
I needed a scooty, which would be used for a kilometre every week . If my wife gets a hang of the 2 wheeler,she too may use it, for the 100 metre runs to the market and park.
In Mumbai, when I checked with Honda, 1 dealer told that there was a 6-8 month waiting for the Dio, 2nd one told me that the wait is for 1-2 months. When the dealer himself is unsure of the period, the 1-2 months could easily extend to 4-5 months.
When I called up Yamaha, the guy asked me, if he should send someone to collect the cheque and required documents.
And after reading about the lackadaisical service with Honda service centres, I am surely opting for the Ray.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:16   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak

While I agree with you; she prefers to take the two wheeler; while 17 kms looks a lot, it's all city bumper to bumper traffic mostly. 2 wheeler helps her reach home in 45 mins flat! By car it'll take her atleast 2 hours

People familiar with Jogeshwari - Dahisar Link Road/SV road can confirm.
I am not aware of the above route and road conditions but I can say that Bangalore is equally bad and the one thing which I keep repenting is for having converted to as a car guy . I really lack the pleasure of zipping around in traffic on my bike . Two wheeler gives the freedom that a car can never offer .

Last edited by rki2007 : 27th December 2012 at 17:19.
Old 27th December 2012, 18:04   #2278
Senior - BHPian

@amtak: For ride + suspension + powerful headlamp --> Vespa.
Do take a test drive of Vespa in the night and check for yourself.

BTW: Why do you consider metal body to be safer? As I see, in case of insurance claim, the bill will be higher due to plastic parts depreciation. So, maybe there is a cost disadvantage with plastic/ fiber. But I don't see any safety disadvantage.

But in case of accident, the rider will have the same risk of injury in both cases.

Edit: Just read that Vespa is out of budget. I should also point though that Vespa will give you the best mileage (50+ in traffic conditions), and service intervals are far apart (not 100% sure, but there was a thread somewhere). So overall cost of running is less.

Last edited by S_U_N : 27th December 2012 at 18:07.
Old 27th December 2012, 20:19   #2279
BHPian

Today went to book a yellow Vespa LX125 to Spice Motors, Thane. However, surprised about their laid-back attitude towards customers, as if they do not want to sale, including the Manager. Vespa is a fantastic brand and have great fan following in India. They are selling LX125 at a premium price, atleast Rs. 20,000 (Ex Thane: INR 73,812) more than the competitors, even after a discount of Rs. 6,680). As a potential customer I expect the dealer should behave cordially and bit politely. I walked off thinking if they are so aloof before selling the product, what happen afterwards! I think Italians can design and build beautiful automobiles, but they does not know how to market that. May be Vespa is following the Fiat route - everybody adores but nobody want to buy.

Anyway, with a broken heart went ahead and booked a Honda Dio (violet colour)instead. Waiting period is about a month, on road price INR 54,571. Dio may not have the same appeal as Vespa however, I'm happy that I do not have to deal with the people who are not customer friendly.
Old 27th December 2012, 20:40   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
They are selling LX125 at a premium price, atleast Rs. 20,000 (Ex Thane: INR 73,812) more than the competitors, even after a discount of Rs. 6,680). As a potential customer I expect the dealer should behave cordially and bit politely.

Anyway, with a broken heart went ahead and booked a Honda Dio (violet colour)instead.
+1 to gaddiwale, have experienced the same snobbish attitude of the Vespa SA's when me & my friend had gone to Wagle estate to have a look at the scooter as one of the options. We were given the brouchure to read as they didnt have any test drive scooter. Finally walked off. My friend instead opted for a Honda Aviator.

The price of 73K is with octroi which makes Vespa the costliest scooter in Thane atleast.
Closed Thread