Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 27th December 2012, 23:40   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@amtak: For ride + suspension + powerful headlamp --> Vespa.
Do take a test drive of Vespa in the night and check for yourself.

BTW: Why do you consider metal body to be safer? As I see, in case of insurance claim, the bill will be higher due to plastic parts depreciation. So, maybe there is a cost disadvantage with plastic/ fiber. But I don't see any safety disadvantage.

But in case of accident, the rider will have the same risk of injury in both cases.

Edit: Just read that Vespa is out of budget. I should also point though that Vespa will give you the best mileage (50+ in traffic conditions), and service intervals are far apart (not 100% sure, but there was a thread somewhere). So overall cost of running is less.
I think in case of an accident; there would be less flying parts that can cause serious injury and hence I consider metal body to be safer (Oil spills/fire etc). Although the vespa is within the budget but I prefer to keep it out of budget for the following reasons:
  • There is no showroom or service center near my house. Hence, increased cost of logistics
  • Apart from retro styling and brand value; Vespa offers nothing more than other scooters.
  • Expensive A** as compared to Honda/Hero
  • Availability of spares on short notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Today went to book a yellow Vespa LX125 to Spice Motors, Thane. However, surprised about their laid-back attitude towards customers, as if they do not want to sale, including the Manager. Vespa is a fantastic brand and have great fan following in India. They are selling LX125 at a premium price, atleast Rs. 20,000 (Ex Thane: INR 73,812) more than the competitors, even after a discount of Rs. 6,680). As a potential customer I expect the dealer should behave cordially and bit politely. I walked off thinking if they are so aloof before selling the product, what happen afterwards! I think Italians can design and build beautiful automobiles, but they does not know how to market that. May be Vespa is following the Fiat route - everybody adores but nobody want to buy.

Anyway, with a broken heart went ahead and booked a Honda Dio (violet colour)instead. Waiting period is about a month, on road price INR 54,571. Dio may not have the same appeal as Vespa however, I'm happy that I do not have to deal with the people who are not customer friendly.
I think that is the problem with Italians! Isnt Vespa Italian too? when I booked by Dio, the waiting was 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
+1 to gaddiwale, have experienced the same snobbish attitude of the Vespa SA's when me & my friend had gone to Wagle estate to have a look at the scooter as one of the options. We were given the brouchure to read as they didnt have any test drive scooter. Finally walked off. My friend instead opted for a Honda Aviator.

The price of 73K is with octroi which makes Vespa the costliest scooter in Thane atleast.
Nothing against Honda or vespa; but is it intentional that their showroom folks dont keep a demo vehicle? Hero does keep a model for demo and test drives.
Old 1st January 2013, 21:39   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
After reading through almost all of the 152 pages, I think I'm going to opt for the Yamaha Ray over the Dio.
I needed a scooty, which would be used for a kilometre every week . If my wife gets a hang of the 2 wheeler,she too may use it, for the 100 metre runs to the market and park.
In Mumbai, when I checked with Honda, 1 dealer told that there was a 6-8 month waiting for the Dio, 2nd one told me that the wait is for 1-2 months. When the dealer himself is unsure of the period, the 1-2 months could easily extend to 4-5 months.
When I called up Yamaha, the guy asked me, if he should send someone to collect the cheque and required documents.
And after reading about the lackadaisical service with Honda service centres, I am surely opting for the Ray.
@Ritesh, I own a Ray and its a splendid scooter. I have written a review on my ownership experience, do check it out. Cheers!
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:54   #2283
Senior - BHPian

The joint connecting the lower portion of the front cowl in my Honda Dio is broken and hence creates a lot of rattling noise; Honda guys say that I need to have it changed by ordering a new one; Cost of the same is 800 Rs + 1000 Rs as painting charges. I am a little worried that the paint quality may not match with that of the original; on the other hand, road side mechanic is suggesting that I stick it using Fixit and leave the vehicle for an hour with them. What do you think I should do?
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:05   #2284
Distinguished - BHPian

You mean the front mudguard? I think you get painted parts directly. The dealer would be wanting to make money with painting charges and hence he is suggesting you to do so. Get to the honda spare parts dealer and I think you can find painted parts for the scoot rather than getting it painted from the dealer.

I am still amazed at how there is absolutely no waiting here for the dio compared to other places where I get to hear month long waiting. Why is it so?
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:08   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You mean the front mudguard? I think you get painted parts directly. The dealer would be wanting to make money with painting charges and hence he is suggesting you to do so. Get to the honda spare parts dealer and I think you can find painted parts for the scoot rather than getting it painted from the dealer.

I am still amazed at how there is absolutely no waiting here for the dio compared to other places where I get to hear month long waiting. Why is it so?
No no, not the front mudguard; the portion above it which is the fascia of the Dio. I too think that I should be able to get it directly from a Honda Spare parts dealer but not too sure yet. There's a parts shop near my house and I'll check with him or atleast place an order for the part if possible.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:11   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
The joint connecting the lower portion of the front cowl in my Honda Dio is broken and hence creates a lot of rattling noise; Honda guys say that I need to have it changed by ordering a new one; Cost of the same is 800 Rs + 1000 Rs as painting charges. I am a little worried that the paint quality may not match with that of the original; on the other hand, road side mechanic is suggesting that I stick it using Fixit and leave the vehicle for an hour with them. What do you think I should do?
I would suggest you stick it with Fixit. But why leave the vehicle for an hour with the mechanic? Do you know the guy well? If not, stick around (no pun intended) with the bike until it heals.

If this doesn't hold up, you can always get it replaced at the center.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:59   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I would suggest you stick it with Fixit. But why leave the vehicle for an hour with the mechanic? Do you know the guy well? If not, stick around (no pun intended) with the bike until it heals.

If this doesn't hold up, you can always get it replaced at the center.
I would stick around the bike for an hour and not leave it like that; but that is going to happen only over the weekend; I don't know him much, but he has worked in the past on my sis-in-law's scooter and fixed it flawlessly.
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:23   #2288
Oxy
BHPian

Ok, this may be a little off topic, but I am confused whether to go for a TVS Wego (which I found to be the best of the lot amongst gearless scooters after test riding every available option) or go for an entry level bike such as the Hero Dawn or the Yamaha Crux.

The thing is that I have never rode a motorbike ever, but I have rode a geared scooter (Bajaj Chetak) and can also drive a car. My love for a manual transmission over an automatic is urging me to go for the bike.

I am just not sure if I'd be able to get a hang of the bike quickly if I go ahead and purchase it (since the gears are on the foot as compared to hands on the Chetak). The fact that there is no Yamaha dealer who can offer me a test ride of the Crux in Bangalore does not help either.

Last edited by Oxy : 2nd January 2013 at 18:26.
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:18   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
go for an entry level bike such as the Hero Dawn or the Yamaha Crux.

The thing is that I have never rode a motorbike ever
I would suggest you get a feel about the bikes before you come to a decision. You can ride your friends bike or any rental bikes to get a feel of how different is a bike from a gearless scooter. Believe me you will start to love the scooter more than the bike.

The bikes you mentioned are almost in the same price range as the scooters. hence on price front it will not be huge saver. However once you bought a bike, the options to upgrade are plenty.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:29   #2290
Distinguished - BHPian

If you travel short distances or moderate distances, an automatic scoot will be anyday better than an entry level bike, that too given the traffic conditions in bangalore. The reasons are:
  • Freedom from changing gears
  • Better performance, owing to the nature of the CVT
  • Better refinement compared to most entry level bikes
  • Better image

Entry level bikes are short geared and also lack outright power. The only advantage you get is good fuel efficiency. So it is usually aimed at people who use it a lot, as it will give good fuel savings in the longrun. However, they lack the fun to drive factor. With a scoot, short distances are fun and at the twist of the throttle, you can give a good fight to many cars and bikes till a moderate speed. However, high speed cruising or long distance riding wont be so pleasant in a scoot compared to a bike.
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:59   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Today went to book a yellow Vespa LX125 to Spice Motors, Thane. However, surprised about their laid-back attitude towards customers, as if they do not want to sale, including the Manager. Vespa is a fantastic brand and have great fan following in India. They are selling LX125 at a premium price, atleast Rs. 20,000 (Ex Thane: INR 73,812) more than the competitors, even after a discount of Rs. 6,680). As a potential customer I expect the dealer should behave cordially and bit politely. I walked off thinking if they are so aloof before selling the product, what happen afterwards! I think Italians can design and build beautiful automobiles, but they does not know how to market that. May be Vespa is following the Fiat route - everybody adores but nobody want to buy.

Anyway, with a broken heart went ahead and booked a Honda Dio (violet colour)instead. Waiting period is about a month, on road price INR 54,571. Dio may not have the same appeal as Vespa however, I'm happy that I do not have to deal with the people who are not customer friendly.
Quote:
+1 to gaddiwale, have experienced the same snobbish attitude of the Vespa SA's when me & my friend had gone to Wagle estate to have a look at the scooter as one of the options. We were given the brouchure to read as they didnt have any test drive scooter. Finally walked off. My friend instead opted for a Honda Aviator.

The price of 73K is with octroi which makes Vespa the costliest scooter in Thane atleast.
I thought I was the only one who turned down Vespa for dealership experience!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-cochin.html (Unprofessional Attitude - Marikar Engineers Cochin)

For Vespa, it seems the premium is only in price, not experience/product.
Even the vespa helpdesk is not replying to emails except for half cooked auto replies.

I also walked away from the showroom and is planning to buy another vehicle. Still undecided on which one - Suzuki Access/Swish/Dio/Wego!
When price is low we have choices!
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:24   #2292
BHPian

I am planning to buy a gearless scooter in Bangalore. This would be used by me and my wife, only for running errands over short distances.

I tend to keep my vehicles for a long duration, hence resale value is not important for me.

Similarly looks are also not important, but I would prefer a simple design, not a fancy one like Dio/Ray.

My requirements (in their decreasing order of importance) are:

1. Hassle free ownership experience, less visits to the service centres - either for routine services or rectifying niggles.

2. Decent sales and after sales service from the dealerships - meaning no snobby attitudes of sales staff, no waiting in queues for servicing etc.

3. Power, braking, comfort and mileage should be within acceptable limits.

4. Bigger tyres, high ground clearance, more storage space etc would also be appreciated.

5. Price is not really a deciding factor, but higher price should be justifiable.

I have been following this thread for some time. After reading the experiences of various members, it seems that there is no perfect gearless scooter. One has to make a compromise in one area or the other.

At the moment, I am leaning towards TVS Wego because of metal body, 12 inch alloy wheels, body balance, external fuel filler, decent looks, easy centre stand etc.

I am also considering Hero Maestro because of its proven Avtiva engine and Hero Moto Corp service network.

Please suggest the best vehicle for me.

Rohan
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:27   #2293
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you get a feel about the bikes before you come to a decision. You can ride your friends bike or any rental bikes to get a feel of how different is a bike from a gearless scooter. Believe me you will start to love the scooter more than the bike.

The bikes you mentioned are almost in the same price range as the scooters. hence on price front it will not be huge saver. However once you bought a bike, the options to upgrade are plenty.
One strange thing which I have observed in Bangalore is that there is absolutely no price difference between the scooters, be it any make.

All of them are 59-60k including accessories, be it Maestro, Wego, Swish, or Ray. I have not bothered to check Honda because I already own a first gen Dio, so don't want another Honda.

The bikes, on the other hand, are about 47k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you travel short distances or moderate distances, an automatic scoot will be anyday better than an entry level bike, that too given the traffic conditions in bangalore. The reasons are:
  • Freedom from changing gears
  • Better performance, owing to the nature of the CVT
  • Better refinement compared to most entry level bikes
  • Better image
Entry level bikes are short geared and also lack outright power. The only advantage you get is good fuel efficiency. So it is usually aimed at people who use it a lot, as it will give good fuel savings in the longrun. However, they lack the fun to drive factor. With a scoot, short distances are fun and at the twist of the throttle, you can give a good fight to many cars and bikes till a moderate speed. However, high speed cruising or long distance riding wont be so pleasant in a scoot compared to a bike.
Thanks, that makes sense. My usage is going to be 25 kms on each weekday (to and fro office commute) and maybe for some weekend errands, so around 500-520 kms a month.

So I think the scooter is the way to go! Wego it is then for me!

Last edited by Oxy : 3rd January 2013 at 14:30.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:34   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am planning to buy a gearless scooter in Bangalore. This would be used by me and my wife, only for running errands over short distances.
At the moment, I am leaning towards TVS Wego because of metal body, 12 inch alloy wheels, body balance, external fuel filler, decent looks, easy centre stand etc.

I am also considering Hero Maestro because of its proven Avtiva engine and Hero Moto Corp service network.
Wego is a good choice, fits in to most of your requirments. Another good option would be Swish but will depend whether you have a Suzuki workshop close by.

But if you really want that peace of mind, opt for Honda Aviator. Couple of my friends swear by the reliability and performace too. Also Aviators are easily available as they cost a bit more than the Activa, hence off the shelf.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:36   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If it's not going to be used very frequently and only for short distances, then I'd advise you to get a Scooty [Pep/Streak or some such variant]. It's a popular and proven product, and you'll save approx 10-12k [i.e. compared to buying a Wego/Activa/Swish/Access], which could be equal to your fuel expenses for a couple of years maybe.

Cheers,
Vikram
Closed Thread