Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2013, 23:18   #2341
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

You yourself mentioned that the bike was discontinued. Frankly, I haven't seen a single one on the road till date. Can you rethink your decision? I think spares will be a problem in the future. Why not the wego with discs? Considering the short period of sale of this bike, it will surely be a problem in the future. I see more bajaj waves on the streets, and yet that scoot is a nightmare when it comes to source spares, so I dont think the Jive is going to be any better.

If you are seriously sold onto it, then congrats!
Old 13th January 2013, 17:12   #2342
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You yourself mentioned that the bike was discontinued. Frankly, I haven't seen a single one on the road till date. Can you rethink your decision? I think spares will be a problem in the future. Why not the wego with discs? Considering the short period of sale of this bike, it will surely be a problem in the future. I see more bajaj waves on the streets, and yet that scoot is a nightmare when it comes to source spares, so I dont think the Jive is going to be any better.

If you are seriously sold onto it, then congrats!
Anyday, a bike offers much more comfort compared to a scooter, and is more back friendly. On top of that, the Jive has got an auto-clutch, which means when you engage the gear, the clutch automatically engages. So no exercise for the left hand at all.

Most of the parts are borrowed from the Star series, so should not be much of a problem I think. The auto-clutch is covered under the two year warranty and I have a choice to take another three years of additional warranty on that, which I will.

I rather see this as an opportunity to pick one up before it disappears from the shelves. Believe me, this auto-clutch thing is a major convenience. You need to ride it to really believe it. The engine is just impossible to stall, and this is the same engine that's doing it's duty on the Wego as well.

Appreciate your concern buddy, but I think I have made up my mind on this.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th January 2013 at 17:16.
Old 13th January 2013, 17:28   #2343
BHPian

Any pointers on how to decode VIN number for 2 wheelers ?

I want to ensure that I am getting a 2013 model.

Rohan
Old 13th January 2013, 17:58   #2344
Distinguished - BHPian

@Oxy: Jyst mentioned a few probables I could think of. Regarding riding comfort, it depends upon seating position and that I think can differ from each bike/scooter. I am not trying to discourage you, but having been through such a situation, I was concerned. Thats it.

@Rohan, if you inspect the vehicle before delivery, you can find some documents in the storage area with all details, usually required for registration. I found the same in my dio after I got it. I was given a vehicle that was manufactured three weeks before the date of delivery. So you can check it out. Else demand the roadworthiness certificate from the dealer. But I doubt the showroom folks will be so obliging. Give it a try anyways. If it is a popular vehicle, then you could get a fresh vehicle also.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:30   #2345
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
@Oxy: Jyst mentioned a few probables I could think of. Regarding riding comfort, it depends upon seating position and that I think can differ from each bike/scooter. I am not trying to discourage you, but having been through such a situation, I was concerned. Thats it.
Hi audioholic, you do raise a valid point. Though it may not matter soon, but a couple of years down the line, spares might be a problem. The TVS guys in the showroom though have given me an assurance that it won't be the case. Thanks for your concern. I think I will not rush into this.

Will keep you posted as and when I take a decision. Meanwhile, the newly launched Bajaj Discover 100T looks great. I am not sure I'd be able to handle it though. Will take a test ride tomorrow and share the details.

I have dropped the plans to buy a gearless scoot because I mainly need the vehicle for office commutes, and am really itching to try out the geared bikes for a change.
Old 15th January 2013, 00:13   #2346
Senior - BHPian

I need to 'try' to teach my wife, who has never rode a bicycle to ride my access. I dont know how but then I have to teach her , I tried with an old scooty and she was pretty fine with it, but that was two years back and the scooty is long gone with the access duly taking up its place. Are training wheels a viable option? If yes, would any one know how to fit them to the access and more importantly where to source them from?
Old 17th January 2013, 16:25   #2347
BHPian

Just read that Vespa got a huge price cut. Checked the Vespa site and it show onroad Bangalore price to be 61k.

At this price point is it better to go for Vespa or say Wego?
I need to buy a gearless scooter for my wife(will buy in March). But I want something which can carry both of us. Until now, I was contemplating Wego or Access.
Is Vespa worth considering?

Regards,
Old 17th January 2013, 16:41   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Just read that Vespa got a huge price cut. Checked the Vespa site and it show onroad Bangalore price to be 61k.
At this price point is it better to go for Vespa or say Wego?
Is Vespa worth considering?
If the price difference between Wego and Vespa is not huge and if your are more inclined for the retro looks, then you should opt for Vespa esp the one in yellow for that cuteness factor, provided you have a service workshop close by to your place.

But then now Wego comes with front disc brakes which is an USP. Try riding both and choose the one which suits more to you.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:15   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If the price difference between Wego and Vespa is not huge and if your are more inclined for the retro looks, then you should opt for Vespa.
I am least bothered about looks. Primary criteria is reliability & driving comfort of the bike. Next is maintenance costs. Next fuel efficiency. And lastly ability to pull 2 well built people.

Yes, Vespa Yellow color does look good.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 17th January 2013, 17:24   #2350
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to spoil your party, but I don't think any company would post the onroad prices of it's vehicles on it's website. It's always the ex-showroom price mentioned on the websites as far as I know.

Better you call up a Vespa dealership and confirm.

Last edited by Oxy : 17th January 2013 at 17:25.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:41   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Sorry to spoil your party, but I don't think any company would post the onroad prices of it's vehicles on it's website. It's always the ex-showroom price mentioned on the websites as far as I know.
Right its the ex-showroom price. Let me rephrase my question

Considering that my primary selection criteria(in this order) is Reliability, Driving comfort, Lower maintenance, Better fuel efficiency, ability to take load of 2 adults.

Vespa is priced at approx 67k and wego/access at about 59k.

Question considering my criteria is, is it worth considering Vespa or should I keep it simple and continue deliberating between Wego and Access.

Regards,
Old 17th January 2013, 20:06   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Right its the ex-showroom price. Let me rephrase my question

Considering that my primary selection criteria(in this order) is Reliability, Driving comfort, Lower maintenance, Better fuel efficiency, ability to take load of 2 adults.

Vespa is priced at approx 67k and wego/access at about 59k.

Question considering my criteria is, is it worth considering Vespa or should I keep it simple and continue deliberating between Wego and Access.

Regards,
Keep things simple. Life is complicated as is.

As per your priorities, looks carry less weightage and reliability/handling is of higher importance. Test ride the Wego and the Access and decide between the 2. Except for the money and the ooomph factor that carries the Vespa, there is no other reason to eliminate rationalism. At the very least, the money saved can motor you on for some time.

I have a Wego and all the factors that you were looking for comes in it. Depending on your size, handling may vary, so a test ride is highly recommended.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 11:29   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
...My Nova135 has completed 12000 kms and rides like a dream..
Hi, vigsom, I have a query regarding the Kinetic Nova...do we need to add engine oil mixed with the petrol, or is it done separately.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:58   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Post the servicing of my Honda Activa in first week of Dec 12, the scooter has given a mileage of 51 kmpl using tank full to tank full method (4 ltrs for 201 kms) thanks to driving mostly in the Economy range. Never exceeded the speed to more than 50 KMPH, no sudden accelerating, hard braking etc. I guess the weather too played its part for getting this mileage. Hopefully the average should remain for the next couple of months.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:12   #2355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Post the servicing of my Honda Activa in first week of Dec 12, the scooter has given a mileage of 51 kmpl using tank full to tank full method (4 ltrs for 201 kms) .
Is it the old activa or the current version? I am managing exactly 40kmpl from start in my dio. Tankfull takes in 4 liters for around 161-163kms. And this is better compared to what others say, in the 35-40 range. I do drive sedately, but my commutes are short distances, so I am not sure if this is a problem.
Closed Thread