Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2013, 14:48   #2371
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
So does it mean that the Tuff up tubes have been replaced with tubeless tyres? Downgrading the battery in Activa means starting the scooter on battery will be a pain. So have the headlamps also been downgraded?
Tubeless tyres are a welcome move. However, the battery downgrade is not a new thing. They had downgraded from 5Ah to 3Ah maintenamce free battery. However, as the scoot headlamps run on AC, headlamps need not be downgraded. The only weakness I find is that the headlamp dims when brake is pressed at low speeds. Guess I have to do some research on upgrading the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Honda have upgraded their gearless scooter range with upgraded engines (HET) for 2013 model year. Webiste now claims a mileage of 60 kmpl for the Activa/Aviator and Dio for the Honda Eco Technology equipped engines.
My 2012 Dio now gives me 51 kmpl to the litre in Chennai. Not sure if it's because of the cool Jan weather or because of 3000 kms being completed. I used to get between 44-45 kmpl until now.
Seriously? I thought I was getting good FE Then I will switch to extra sedate mode now.

Last edited by audioholic : 25th January 2013 at 14:53.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:27   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
We are yet to decide between Activa and Dio. I like the mature look of Activa, whereas wifey prefers the youthful look of Dio.

I just noticed on the Honda website that now all 3 honda scooters come with tubeless tyres.

But the battery of Activa has been downgraded from 5Ah to 3Ah.

Rohan
If your wife is comfortable with the weight of the Activa, you should check out the Aviator too (assuming she would be using it). The saddle height of the Aviator is on the higher side compared to the Dio and Activa but the ride comfort is better due to the telescopic forks. I'd say testride all 3 and decide. The 110 cc Dio comes with tubeless tyres if I'm not mistaken (at least mine did). I went for the Dio because wifey would be using it most of the time and she was not comfortable with the weight of the Activa and the height of the Aviator. She preferred the Scooty (due to the lower weight) but I told her its either going to be the Dio or no scooter for you. No offence to Scooty owners but I'm just not comfortable with TVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Seriously? I thought I was getting good FE Then I will switch to extra sedate mode now.
I'm talking about the Dio with the 110cc engine not the previous one. The mileage has improved on the last 3-4 refills. We had a pretty cool Jan this year in Chennai, so it could also be aiding the FE. Last last 4 readings were 47.85 kmpl, 46.96 kmpl, 48.98 kmpl and 51.75 kmpl. The FE started to improve with 2850 clicks on the odo. All readings are on tankful to tankful basis with some fuel spillage in the last two. I remeber a Unicorn owner mention to me that his FE went up to 50-55 kmpl after 3000 km on the odo, so keeping my fingers crossed. I hardly go above 50 kmph and the vehicle hasn't seen north of 60 kmph till now. I try to keep it in the economy band as far as possible but I do face bumper to bumper traffic also for parts of the journey.

Last edited by longhorn : 25th January 2013 at 15:41.
Old 25th January 2013, 17:38   #2373
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also talking about the 110cc dio. Mine has run just 750kms till date, and I am getting a consistent 40kmpl in city, with not so long distances travelled. My friends get 35-40 from their activas, so I thought mine was better. Guess yours will be the benchmark now.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:42   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
If your wife is comfortable with the weight of the Activa, you should check out the Aviator too (assuming she would be using it). The saddle height of the Aviator is on the higher side compared to the Dio and Activa but the ride comfort is better due to the telescopic forks. I'd say testride all 3 and decide. The 110 cc Dio comes with tubeless tyres if I'm not mistaken (at least mine did). I went for the Dio because wifey would be using it most of the time and she was not comfortable with the weight of the Activa and the height of the Aviator. She preferred the Scooty (due to the lower weight) but I told her its either going to be the Dio or no scooter for you. No offence to Scooty owners but I'm just not comfortable with TVS.
I don't really like the disproportionate look of Aviator. Honda has provided a larger size front wheel just so it could accommodate telescopic shock absorbers and disk brakes, while retaining a smaller rear wheel. This is not the kind of engineering which is expected from a brand like Honda. I personally feel that such kind of half-baked products should not be encouraged by customers (just my personal opinion, no offense to any owners of Aviator).

My wife is also a bit concerned about the so called heavy body of Activa, and prefers light scooter like Dio. But I feel it is more of a perception thing, women have this tendency to judge objects based on physical appearances. If the scooter has an open design like Dio, women automatically assume that it would be lightweight and suitable for women. Whereas if it is a fully covered scooter like Activa or Access, they would automatically assume that it would be difficult to balance. In reality, the weight difference between Activa and Dio is not more than 5 kgs. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on the weight difference)

My wife is even willing to consider Suzuki Swish (because of its open rear design), but is dead against Suzuki Access. She has no idea that both are basically the same scooter with a weight difference of 2 kgs.

We would be taking TDs of all scooters in the coming weeks. Lets see how it goes.

In my case, I would be the primary user of the scooter. But my wife would also drive it occasionally. Hence we would be buying something that suits my requirements. I am over 30 years and I don't think that I would look good on a sporty scooter like Dio.

Rohan
Old 27th January 2013, 15:08   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am also talking about the 110cc dio. Mine has run just 750kms till date, and I am getting a consistent 40kmpl in city, with not so long distances travelled. My friends get 35-40 from their activas, so I thought mine was better. Guess yours will be the benchmark now.
I got only 40 kmpl in my last refill which means the previous reading of 51.75 kmpl was incorrect ie(the tank was not actually full). I had some fuel spillage in the last two refills so I asked him to go slow this time. I guess the auto cutoff kicked in too early last time so I went upto the brim this time with slow filling and shaking the scooter to get it right upto the neck. so the avg of the last three refills ie 46.91 kmpl should be the actual FE as of now. You can discount that 51.xx figure. My commute is 14 kms one way while wifey's is 7. Very short distances and stop start riding do take a toll on the FE.

Quote:
I don't really like the disproportionate look of Aviator. Honda has provided a larger size front wheel just so it could accommodate telescopic shock absorbers and disk brakes, while retaining a smaller rear wheel. This is not the kind of engineering which is expected from a brand like Honda. I personally feel that such kind of half-baked products should not be encouraged by customers (just my personal opinion, no offense to any owners of Aviator).

My wife is also a bit concerned about the so called heavy body of Activa, and prefers light scooter like Dio. But I feel it is more of a perception thing, women have this tendency to judge objects based on physical appearances. If the scooter has an open design like Dio, women automatically assume that it would be lightweight and suitable for women. Whereas if it is a fully covered scooter like Activa or Access, they would automatically assume that it would be difficult to balance. In reality, the weight difference between Activa and Dio is not more than 5 kgs. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on the weight difference)

My wife is even willing to consider Suzuki Swish (because of its open rear design), but is dead against Suzuki Access. She has no idea that both are basically the same scooter with a weight difference of 2 kgs.

We would be taking TDs of all scooters in the coming weeks. Lets see how it goes.

In my case, I would be the primary user of the scooter. But my wife would also drive it occasionally. Hence we would be buying something that suits my requirements. I am over 30 years and I don't think that I would look good on a sporty scooter like Dio.

Rohan
I thought the difference between the Activa and Dio was 8 kgs. Just stay away from the Scooty if you intend to go doubles. The Scooty is designed for a max payload of 90 kgs. You could take a look at the Wego though. Nothing wrong with a 30+ guy on a Dio. Even I am 30+. I went for White colour. Just avoid flashy colours+decals and you should be good.

Last edited by longhorn : 27th January 2013 at 15:21.
Old 28th January 2013, 08:29   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
I thought the difference between the Activa and Dio was 8 kgs.
Quote:
In reality, the weight difference between Activa and Dio is not more than 5 kgs. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on the weight difference)
The Kerb weight difference between Activa and Dio is 6 kgs. Dio - 104 whereas Activa is 110 kgs. Activa does feel heavy with the metal body, if weight is an issue then I would suggest prefer the fibre bodies scooters like Swish/Access, Wego.
Old 28th January 2013, 09:18   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kerb weight difference between Activa and Dio is 6 kgs. Dio - 104 whereas Activa is 110 kgs. Activa does feel heavy with the metal body, if weight is an issue then I would suggest prefer the fibre bodies scooters like Swish/Access, Wego.
Minor correction here. TVS Wego has an all metal body. Refer the highlighted portion from the screen grab below. Also the kerb weight is 108 kgs. Refer thread below for further details ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ts-rivals.html (TVS Wego, Review and Comparison with it's rivals.)

Name:  Wego full metal body.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  83.5 KB
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 10:25   #2378
BHPian

Although the kerb weight of Wego is 108 kgs, because of the excellent centre stand design, its feels very light and easy to prop it up. My wife finds it far easier to prop up the Wego on the centre stand than the Activa.

Besides, Wego need not be on the centre stand to kick start it. It could be on the side stand, even be without any stand. I have even kickstarted it without getting off the scooter, la Bajaj Chetak style, albeit on left side. Even wifey has done that.

Prajwal
Old 29th January 2013, 15:59   #2379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got only 40 kmpl in my last refill which means the previous reading of 51.75 kmpl was incorrect ie(the tank was not actually full).
I get 45 kmpl in my previous gen Dio and I constantly go 60+ Kmph. There are no traffic jams though.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a 30+ guy on a Dio. Even I am 30+. I went for White colour. Just avoid flashy colours+decals and you should be good.
Yeah, nothing wrong with a 40+ guy on it either though I feel it is much under powered, maybe because of the CVT.
Old 29th January 2013, 19:46   #2380
BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
We have a Honda Activa and a Honda Dio in our family. We are trying to find a replacement for the Dio for my sister.
TVS Wego was test driven but later dropped for its size(smaller than what we expected).

Suzuki Swish TD surprised us with the eager motor and the comfortable ride, may be due to the front telescopic suspension. However, the engine was not as refined as the Activa, but was clearly more powerful.
We may go for the Swish, not finalized yet.
Old 29th January 2013, 19:48   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Although the kerb weight of Wego is 108 kgs, because of the excellent centre stand design, its feels very light and easy to prop it up. My wife finds it far easier to prop up the Wego on the centre stand than the Activa.

Besides, Wego need not be on the centre stand to kick start it. It could be on the side stand, even be without any stand. I have even kickstarted it without getting off the scooter, la Bajaj Chetak style, albeit on left side. Even wifey has done that.

Prajwal
Also I was told by the TVS Sales guy that the engine is centre mounted on a Wego, thus helping the overall balance.

Last edited by mTorque : 29th January 2013 at 19:49. Reason: To correct a typo error
Old 29th January 2013, 22:10   #2382
Distinguished - BHPian

All automatic scooters sold today including the Vespa have the engine centrally mounted.

Wego may be metal body but appears to have aluminum alloy wheels.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th January 2013 at 22:36.
Old 30th January 2013, 16:03   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
We have a Honda Activa and a Honda Dio in our family. We are trying to find a replacement for the Dio for my sister.
TVS Wego was test driven but later dropped for its size(smaller than what we expected).

Suzuki Swish TD surprised us with the eager motor and the comfortable ride, may be due to the front telescopic suspension. However, the engine was not as refined as the Activa, but was clearly more powerful.
We may go for the Swish, not finalized yet.
Have you considered the Yamaha Ray? It is smaller than the Dio . Not sure vis-a-vis Wego.
A wonderful user experience here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html

B
Quote:
esides, Wego need not be on the centre stand to kick start it. It could be on the side stand, even be without any stand.
@prajwalkashyap How does this happen in gearless scooty's. Once you kick, the wheel starts moving. How does the wego not go ahead, if you kickstart it on the ground. I can uderstand for Bajaj scooters,since they can be kept in Neutral and kickstarted.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 30th January 2013 at 16:08.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 16:28   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
How does this happen in gearless scooty's. Once you kick, the wheel starts moving. How does the wego not go ahead, if you kickstart it on the ground.
Manual kick start only starts the engine and the tyres dont move as long as the accelerator is not used. But if the Accelerator is pressed and then kick started then the scooter surges ahead and IMO this is a dangerous situation as the scooter can go out of control.

I would suggest always start the scooter in main stand when using the manual kick.
Old 30th January 2013, 20:59   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Have you considered the Yamaha Ray? It is smaller than the Dio . Not sure vis-a-vis Wego.
A wonderful user experience here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html

B
@prajwalkashyap How does this happen in gearless scooty's. Once you kick, the wheel starts moving. How does the wego not go ahead, if you kickstart it on the ground. I can uderstand for Bajaj scooters,since they can be kept in Neutral and kickstarted.
Kicking using the kick lever only starts the engine and it idles away till you start wringing the throttle.

Quote:
Manual kick start only starts the engine and the tyres dont move as long as the accelerator is not used. But if the Accelerator is pressed and then kick started then the scooter surges ahead and IMO this is a dangerous situation as the scooter can go out of control.

I would suggest always start the scooter in main stand when using the manual kick.
I had a situation when the battery was low and the thumb start wouldn't work at the signals. I found it extremely convenient to just hold the scoot with the left hand while I am standing and kick start. I would then hop on the scoot and accelerate away. This has happened to my wife as well and she found it too convenient since when this happened on the Activa, it was so inconvenient to put the scoot on the centre stand in the middle of the road while a million cars behind would honk away.

I have noticed this difference only in the Wego since the direction of the kick lever is reverse to that of the Activa, and most others, including in the Vespa. this is the most convenient part of the whole kicking process...

Prajwal
Closed Thread