Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2013, 19:29   #2536
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Hello guys, sorry to interrupt, but I have some observations regarding the activas and dios. Let us assume that the current activa and dio share the exact same engine and transmission. My friend has an activa which is a couple of months older than my dio. While my dio touched the 2.5k kms mark recently, the activa has crossed 5k kms.

We swapped scoots for a few kms some time back. Both of us were left astonished. The reason is because his activa would vibrate like anything for the slightest throttle input. Performance was good, but the vibrations really shocked me. He was going gaga over the way my vehicle was. Not to boast, but in my dio, once it is warmed, you will not feel the engine idling. Neither will you get a single vibration at any speed.

The third case is of the dio in my village. It has done 3k odd kms and the same problems exist in it. For the slightest throttle input, the vibrations are felt all the way till the handlebar. The fourth case is of the friends father who owns the old gen activa. At 50k kms, the engine was butter smooth.

Now, why would this happen? Take the case of my friend. 1. He is a hard rider. Downright rash. He twists the throttle to the limit. 2. He knows nothing about running in, warming up the engine, engine oil etc. All he does is to send the vehicle for service as per the schedule.

Take the case of the dio in my village - It was driven daily on the highway, probably at moderate speeds. Neither was that scoot run in well. Dont even ask about services. Done as per wish and will.

From the above two cases, I can bet that it is bad and improper running in that has caused this trouble. Take my own case:
1. Ran on factory oil for 300kms. Replaced with honda oil at ASC which I ran till the 1k mark. After that I changed to shell semi synth and ran till 2k kms. Now the scoot runs om Shell fully synthetic oil. The last 500 kms have been just amazing.
2. Babied the scoot for around 900kms. Never accelerated hard. I did revv it but only when the engine was warm.
3. The first ride of the day will be slow and I use the throttle as less as possible.

I hope at least future owners will ensure that the vehicle will run in properly. A friend of mine has a dio, which she(a newbie) has rode very carefully. At 5k kms, it is as good as my dio, except that mine is smoother due to the synthetic lube. Hence, I strongly feel it is the running in and the engine oil that makes the difference. Compared to bike or car engines, these automatic scoots have engines that run at higher speeds on an average, and run at higher temperatures. Hence, I feel that good oil and good care is much needed in this case. As for my friend, I have suggested him to follow the same procedure that I did. He will slowly migrate to Synthetic oil.

As for Honda after sales, damn that warranty, I wont let them do anything to my scoot. I would rather do it myself. The oil that honda uses is of some brand that I havent heard of. Before they were recommending idemitsu but now it is not so. Upon that they recommend a 3k km oil change interval. Even my synthetic oil wouldn't do good for so long

I doubt that they ever changed oil in my friends scoot. We tried to open the dipstick and it did not come out, as if it was never opened from first. He had serviced the vehicle just a week back and if at all they had changed the oil, it wouldn't be so jammed. I was scared it would break so we didn't try forcing it open. In all, it is these people to blame if the scooters go bad soon.

At 35k kms or so, they were advising an innocent customer to perform an overhaul of tge engine head. Guess this is why they do not change oils and do service properly. It will lead to engines packing up soon and they would get extra labour and money.
Old 23rd June 2013, 14:44   #2537
BHPian

Hi Friends can someone suggest me a good two wheeler workshop in and around Bannerghatta road and surrounding places for servicing my Dio. I am bored with the useless A.S.S guys here called Saphire Honda.How about these Bike zone guys, i see a lot of compliants about them though.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:09   #2538
Distinguished - BHPian

And I end my journey with Honda ASCs after their rubbish logic behind using a different oil. I do know that they have SOP that they follow. So here is what happened today:
I ride into Silicon Honda and ask for a service, which was due this month. So the SA comes and starts jotting down details and I tell him oil change is not required as it was done recently. He nods. After that I tell it is a free service, and he twists the story. He wont take vehicle for free service without an oil change.

I asked him the logic behind it and he doesnt answer. The only thing he repeats is get oil changed or no service. I was astonished with his ridiculous nature. During the last service, another SA himself insisted I neednt change oil during the service when I asked him to change. Now this. I had enough of this bullying and that too, given that the same guys have screwed up my friend's vehicle, I bid a goodbye to them and shot a mail to HMSI:

Quote:
To whomsoever it may concern,
This is with regard to the horrible service quality and attitude shown by dealers in servicing honda two wheelers:

1. One has to visit the service center early in the morning in case we have to get back the vehicle the same day. Else the vehicles are delivered only the next day. This is for a 'general' service with no issues to be looked at. Perhaps, Honda must learn from the four wheeler market leader Maruti Suzuki which has the best after sales support in spite of selling more than 40% of the cars in India. Never have I been treated like this.

2. Silicon Honda, refused to listen to my stand when I visited them for service. The usage of my scooter is very less. I have just covered 2500 kms in seven months of my ownership of the vehicle. The 3 month service intervals mean my vehicle will be too early or late for an oil change. Hence, to ensure that the engine gets good oil at all times, I have resorted to an oil change myself in the middle of two service intervais and have used engine oil of grade and standard that is specified by HMSI in the owners manual. Because of this, the service center wouldnt carry out free service. I was astonished by this stupidity of the SA. Not all vehicles have the same usage pattern, and hence, the SA must take into such factors before deciding whether oil must be changed or not. This has forced me to stick to alternate options for service. Please improve upon how the SA will listen and interact with customers other than just doing what he wants.

Nowhere in the owners manual have they insisted on ASC changing the oil. Rather they have given proper instructions for a DIY change. Given that the oil I used was just 500kms old, I had no plans of gettting it drained. Enquired from a few friends who get the vehicle serviced at a nearby mechanic. This was the same person whom I used to consult for other issues. After getting a good feedback, I left the vehicle with him. Afterall, many people have resorted to this. I had two 'free' services left, but I am afraid that was not worth it either. Everytime I used to visit the ASC, there would be at least one customer with a huge bill coming back to have fist fights for not being satisified with the repairs that was done. Given the popularity of the honda scoots, I dont think getting them serviced outside is such a serious issue. Parts are always sold off the shelf which is an added advantage.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:45   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
He wont take vehicle for free service without an oil change.
Good you have moved away from them. As they have probably not changed the oil on your friends scooter ever, I dont understand this logic behind an oil change in the free service mandatory. Good to maintain the vehicle as suggested in the manual with the help of FNG mech.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:57   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup. The manual has quite elaborately given what is to be done at what interval and that much is enough for me. Major point to consider was that Honda genuine parts are available somewhat close by so even in the future I needed any, it wouldnt be difficult to fetch. So that does it for me.
Old 28th June 2013, 14:40   #2541
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK they cannot insist on an oil change. Infact, even after covering more than 50% of the recommended interval, the SA told me that he would check the oil and replace only if required when I took my vehicle for service. I told him to go ahead and replace without checking to avoid the hassles and taking it to them before the next service was due.
Bye the way you should be ready to forego your warranty if you don't service your vehicle at Honda's service centres during the warranty period. That's the only glitch.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:12   #2542
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats my stand too. Last service the SA himself told he will check and mostly oil change was not required. So they didn't change. First change at first service at 300 kms. So second service came at 760kms and hence he did not change oil. After that, third service at 2560kms. In case I had left the oil without changing, it would not have lasted in good condition this long. Hence, I changed the oil. That person was not ready to listen.

Regarding warranty, being a Honda I am not so worried given there are no major issues. Shall replace things at my cost if required. Also I plan to visit some other service center like sapphire honda and check if those guys are any better. Moreover, anyways my next service will include oil change. I will allow them to use their oil which I will later change myself again. That will set things straight in case the service quality there is good.
Old 30th June 2013, 15:03   #2543
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the vehicle serviced at the FNG I was speaking about. Overall, I am happy about the outcome except that some fuel was lifted. Guess he gave it for washing at a nearby place and those guys feasted. Apart from that, I was happy about the detail given.

1. The vehicle exhaust used to pop from day one during decelaration. Problem was not rectified during last two services in spite of complaints. This was solved without me asking him to look into it.

2. The idling was inconsistent and not smooth. Problem solved without notifying him.

Maybe both were just related to carb tuning. Still, this was something the Honda guys didn't do after repeated requests. Happy that he did it himself.

I asked him about upgrading the lamp to 60/55w but he told that wouldnt be of use as the alternator wouldn't support the extra power required and it would not give good results. Hence I will stick to 35/35w.

I will be visiting the HMSI plant shortly, and those guys will get some amount of feedback directly on how their service centers are performing. Let's see what they will tell. I will be on a tour with some Bigwigs of the company.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th June 2013 at 15:09.
Old 1st July 2013, 22:48   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Today visited a nearby Honda Showroom, as a colleague is planning to buy a Activa/ Pleasure for his wife. Came across this sweet looking Activa-i Scooterette. Test rode it and found it to be pretty nippy and compact runabout, better than a Hero Pleasure. Only difference between Activa and Activa-i is Body and dimensions. Activa-i has ABS body panels. According to SA the mileage they got was 60KMPL (they had just returned from Mileage test run)The Scooterette is priced at 54xxx on road Nagpur. No launch date is available with SA, although promised it to deliver next week. Here are some pics..
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-20130701_161907.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-20130701_163737.jpg  

Attached Images

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 22:55   #2545
Distinguished - BHPian

The Activa-i has already begun reaching the hands of customers. I already saw two of them here in my city. From a distance, it looks similar to the pleasure. Looks like this is a mix and match of all the offerings available.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:58   #2546
BHPian

Yes, front appearance is similar to Hero Honda Pleasure. So now Honda has four models running on the same engine - Activa Deluxe, Dio, Aviator and Activa i
Old 6th July 2013, 17:07   #2547
BHPian

Just bought home a Yamaha Ray Z. Costed a little higher (2.5k) than the Ray but I think that the colour options available in Ray Z is worth the extra price
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-img_1965.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-img_1967.jpg  

Last edited by badri : 6th July 2013 at 17:09.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 12:20   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
Just bought home a Yamaha Ray Z. Costed a little higher (2.5k) than the Ray but I think that the colour options available in Ray Z is worth the extra price
@badri
Congratulations on the RayZ.

Is the front number plate twisted or is getting twisted by the weird looking front guards? Doesnt the scooter have a parcel hook below the seat? Would like to see more pics of the scooter, hoping you would start an ownership thread with more details
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 13:15   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@badri
Congratulations on the RayZ.

Is the front number plate twisted or is getting twisted by the weird looking front guards? Doesnt the scooter have a parcel hook below the seat? Would like to see more pics of the scooter, hoping you would start an ownership thread with more details
Thank you Ghodlur,

The number plate is not twisted..it's just the angle of the photo. While the guards look weird, they are a necessity. Some bike / bicycle in the parking lot brushed against the scooter on the very first day and one of the guard tubes got a scratch.

There is a parcel hook near the ignition lock area. Will try to post a few more pics shortly.

While this scooter will be primarily used by my wife, the rideability is so good that I'm tempted to use it once in a while. I was apprehensive that 7bhp may be little low on power. However, it is quite tractable and riding two up is very easy. Also, the front gets nicely loaded unlike Activa ( the only other scooter that I have ridden in a long time) which feels very light at front when riding with a pillion.

Last edited by badri : 7th July 2013 at 13:18.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 15:02   #2550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
It looks stunning! If you do not mind, I feel that the front protector is spoiling the nice touches given to the panels. Moreover it does not offer any 'protection' as such. Do consider parting ways with it and the scoot will look even good.

How I wish this combination was available with the Dio when I brought it Have a nice time with it.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread