Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2013, 17:49   #2551
BHPian

Hey,
My sister is looking at buying a gearless scooter, her running will be about 24kms a day to work and back in peak bangalore city traffic.

Which one do you all suggest:

Honda Activa/Dio
Suzuki Access/swish
Yamaha Ray
Tvs wego

How importanat Is telescopic fork as activa does not have it.
Look forward to your advise, I am planning to book it this week.
Thanks
Chetan
Old 7th July 2013, 23:32   #2552
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Going by the fact that running will be considerable, I feel that telescopic forks would be a better idea than the one Honda uses. I have taken my dio for similar distances. Handling wise it is good, but when it comes to eating up bad roads, the hands feel tired. Hence, let it not be a problem to your sister who rides it daily for such a long distance. In my case, I dont have a problem as my running is very less.

Opting out of Honda, I would suggest the Swish. That extra cc factor along with the light body will make it a comfortable scoot for long distance as well as easy handling(not the cornering stuff) Given the torque that the suzuki twins have, it will be perfect in our kinda traffic. Hence, I feel that the Swish would be a good idea. On the other hand, wego as well as ray are good products I dont object. But based on what scoots I have rode till date, I feel that the swish will suit the requirement well. Again, personal observation that I have had is that the Honda twins have engines that are meant to be superb in the mid and high speeds. However, the low end is not so impressive. The fun starts after the vehicle picks up some speed. However, the access has good starting torque or similar. That would be a boon in stop go traffic.

Why do I own a dio and still dont recommend it? Am I not happy with it?
Hell No! I am in love with it Just that the love for the scoot must not make me give false recommendations. I use it for short distance commute, and the way it is refined and engineered brings a grin everytime I twist the throttle. The scoot just sails at any speed. However that is good for a person like me. Not sure if it will serve as a good daily commute.

Last edited by audioholic : 7th July 2013 at 23:58.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 23:50   #2553
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what has been said above. My sister recently picked up a Activa and I've been riding a Pulsar for 7 years now. The very first time I tried the Activa, I felt the front suspension had gone kaput,only later did I realize that its non-telescopic and makes you feel every little bump on the road,moreso when compared to a motorbike. Refinement and ease of city commute is simply not comparable though

The scooters with telescopic fronts should be better off I guess.
Old 8th July 2013, 00:02   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
+ I felt the front suspension had gone kaput,only later did I realize ...
I feel that everytime I then come home, hold the front brake and push the front of the vehicle, and it goes down. Guess thats the only time it works
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 08:23   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Honda Activa/Dio
Suzuki Access/swish
Yamaha Ray
Tvs wego
How importanat Is telescopic fork as activa does not have it.
Chetan,

Honda Activa loses out on the one imp thing reqd in a scooter i.e suspensions. No telescopic fronts means a lot of bumps are felt by the rider, so opt one with telescopic fonts if the B'lore roads are pothole ridden. Also comparably with other scooters its a bit heavy. So if your sis needs something and she alone would be using it, then I would suggest go for a lighter scooter like the TVS Scooty or Hero Pleasure.

If still amongs the ones shortlisted, my suggestion would be TVS Wego.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 11:54   #2556
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to get my hands on my first ever two wheeler.

This is going to be purely used for commute purpose, I have a car for the fun stuff.

Which scooter should I buy? My commute will be around 48km, one way.

I have ridden the Dio and found it to be OK, though the ride is a bit stiff.
I have also ridden the Access, and I loved its engine. Super fast and quite smooth.
But I have heard reports of poor mileage.

Which would handle better at high speeds?
Old 16th July 2013, 13:07   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
My commute will be around 48km, one way.
48 kms one way

Try the Yamaha Ray too. No harm in trying. Though, I feel 48 kms one way each day, is too much for a 2 wheeler.
Old 16th July 2013, 13:35   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Sorry to spoil it but you need a Nano for the commute. Seriously are you considering a scooter for the commute, second alternative would get a good bike.

If you are still persistent, I would suggest a Honda Aviator or an Activa. No other scooter.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 13:40   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the distance alone you should stop looking at scooters and buy a geared bike with 17 inch wheels. This will help your commute on broken roads and will always handle better than any scooter at speeds of 60kmph and above.

Quote:
Scooters with telescopic suspension handle marginally better compared to the ones with linked-arm suspension. In case you are decided only to pick up a scooter, choose one between Access, Swish, Ray, Wego, Aviator. All of them have telescopic suspension and return similar mileage figures.

A quick overview of the scooters below:

Access: Cousin owns one. Good torque for city riding, on the heavier side and suspension not very pliant. Feel stiff on bad roads.
Swish: Handles very well. Same as access on other things.
Ray: Comprehensive review by fellow member yikes is available in Motorbikes section on t-bhp. And it cannot get any detailed than his review. So go thru it and you will know everything there is to know about the Ray.
Aviator: Good engine of the proven Activa with telescopic suspension. Tall saddle height. So if you're slightly on the shorter side, then it might pose a problem.
Wego: Own one since September 2012. Have used it for close to 4000kms. Handles good, has 12 inch wheels which help to an extent on the pot holes, suspension is pliant compared to Access, mileage is in the range of 40km/l.

Having said the above, i used to travel around 32kms one way on the Wego for nearly 3 months. It was not at all comfortable and i ended up with muscular pain in the lower back. So now it is relegated to grocery runs and very short commute by wife and son close by to the house. So please consider this before taking a call on the scooter vs. bike decision.
Old 16th July 2013, 14:53   #2560
BHPian

Thank you for your inputs!

I wanted to get a decent bike like the Unicorn (apparently very smooth and comfy), but this needs to be a vehicle that can be used by others in the family as well, and not everyone can handle bikes.

I know this is a huge distance, but due to rising petrol costs, I can't really use the car everyday. And the traffic is terrible as well. Those who know Kochi will understand - I have to pass through the busy Vytilla junction.
Old 16th July 2013, 15:21   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
I know this is a huge distance, but due to rising petrol costs, I can't really use the car everyday. .

Get 1 motorcycle + 1 electric bike for home use. The saving in petrol cost ( Bike (like Hero splendour) v/s auto scooty will also be beneficial to you.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:50   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am planning to get my hands on my first ever two wheeler.

This is going to be purely used for commute purpose, I have a car for the fun stuff.

I have ridden the Dio and found it to be OK, though the ride is a bit stiff.
I have also ridden the Access, and I loved its engine. Super fast and quite smooth.
But I have heard reports of poor mileage.

If you don't mind the initial investment, go for the Alto 800 CNG. 48 km one way per day will be too much for a two wheeler IMHO.
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 12:56   #2563
BANNED

Quote:
How is the road? If it is as smooth as the proverbial Hema Malini's cheek then & only then consider a scooter.

If the road is rough:

1. Consider a cheap car: Nano, Alto, EON - LPG/CNG also comes into play if you can afford it & is available where you live easily.

2. If you still insist on a 2-wheeler, go for a motorbike, it will be far more comfortable over the rough road, safer & more comfortable on the back.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 16:01   #2564
BHPian

I have purchased a Honda Activa-i a few days back.

I have started a thread on the same. If interested, please have a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ready-fly.html

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 16:24   #2565

I suggest you try out the Aviator or Wego as they both have larger wheels and telescopic suspension up front.
Have owned an aviator for 2 years and have ridden the distance mentioned by you. Cannot say i arrived fresh but was as as comfortable as you can be on any scooter.
Closed Thread