Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 15:21   #2581
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 508
Thanked: 557 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Wego: I went to dealer of my area (Mira Rd) and final total price offered was 60250 - with disc brakes, extended warranty (+3 yrs on the standard 2 yrs), rto, accessories. these prices are when not put on finance, and paid upfront (cash / cheque). tomorrow I will go and pay.

but he said battery will carry only 1 year warranty - need inputs.

for the records: extended warranty was costing additional ~Rs.700 and accessories quoted as Rs.1750 (majorly includes full guard, some isi marked helmet, handle grips, seat cover, etc)
Y'day wife and I both had a small test drive, and outcome was positive. I was really surprised on the balance maintained at a bare minimum speed!

today morning went to dealer for booking and then just came to know that Wego with disc brake doesnt have the front storage compartment ! The reason was given that disc provides bit short (fast) brake, which tends to slide the body forward and knee could dash with storage box - hence they removed it in disc option.

Since anyways the vehicle with disc wasnt available for testing, I again checked the drum variant for effective braking - I was happy.

BTW, this front covered storage is just minimal to store few papers or small objects, but still good to have. Even in the under-seat storage area, if a helmet is put than it leave with barely any space. Infact I called my wife and explain this balance space saying "few tomatoes or potatoes could be squeezed in even after putting the helmet !"

after consideration of usage, and as rightly suggested by a dealer's guy, I booked the non-disc variant, which is 3K less (57250). The color will be Red.

Last edited by pcpranav : 10th August 2013 at 15:23. Reason: underline
pcpranav is offline  
Old 10th August 2013, 18:40   #2582
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Y'day wife and I both had a small test drive, and outcome was positive. I was really surprised on the balance maintained at a bare minimum speed!

today morning went to dealer for booking and then just came to know that Wego with disc brake doesnt have the front storage compartment ! The reason was given that disc provides bit short (fast) brake, which tends to slide the body forward and knee could dash with storage box - hence they removed it in disc option.

Since anyways the vehicle with disc wasnt available for testing, I again checked the drum variant for effective braking - I was happy.

BTW, this front covered storage is just minimal to store few papers or small objects, but still good to have. Even in the under-seat storage area, if a helmet is put than it leave with barely any space. Infact I called my wife and explain this balance space saying "few tomatoes or potatoes could be squeezed in even after putting the helmet !"

after consideration of usage, and as rightly suggested by a dealer's guy, I booked the non-disc variant, which is 3K less (57250). The color will be Red.
Dude, which part of mumbai are you located in? In thane the drum variant costs 60500 OTR and the disc variant costs 63k.
Just want to know from all the experts here , do we really require a disc brake on a scooty? I know its an added feature and provides better braking but am going to use the scooty just for office commute.

Thanks once again!
CodeRed is offline  
Old 11th August 2013, 09:25   #2583
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 508
Thanked: 557 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Dude, which part of mumbai are you located in? In thane the drum variant costs 60500 OTR and the disc variant costs 63k.
Just want to know from all the experts here , do we really require a disc brake on a scooty? I know its an added feature and provides better braking but am going to use the scooty just for office commute.

Thanks once again!
I stay in Mira Road and the prices mentioned were after a quick negotiation. Suggest you to have a bargain round with your local dealer.

On Wego, the front Disc brake surely gives better (even on bit speed), but often a short braking. I had a small test of drum one too, which was quite good. In my case, the vehicle would be used by wife for short distances and hence didnt feel need for disc. Also, as I mentioned earlier, with disc the front storage box is not available, which I didnt want to lose.

what would be your daily run in KM ?
pcpranav is offline  
Old 11th August 2013, 10:52   #2584
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I stay in Mira Road and the prices mentioned were after a quick negotiation. Suggest you to have a bargain round with your local dealer.

On Wego, the front Disc brake surely gives better (even on bit speed), but often a short braking. I had a small test of drum one too, which was quite good. In my case, the vehicle would be used by wife for short distances and hence didnt feel need for disc. Also, as I mentioned earlier, with disc the front storage box is not available, which I didnt want to lose.

what would be your daily run in KM ?
My Daily run would be 30 kms . I initially thought of buying a bike but i dont like to change gears and all,so opting for a scooty
CodeRed is offline  
Old 11th August 2013, 20:50   #2585
BHPian
 
ThePunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TN-22 / KL-53
Posts: 105
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I am in look out to replace the rear tyre of my Honda Dio. It has MRF Zapper that came as OEM. And I am looking for the same as replacement, since it so far had ZERO ISSUES for last 4years/26k km.
The point is I have enquired few shops including Didar SC, no one had it in stock. Either TVS or CEAT are the ones present. Given that still I havent spreaded out my search, would appreciate any pointers reg this at Chennai if any one has latest info on where to source it, and approx price. Thanks!
ThePunter is offline  
Old 12th August 2013, 15:20   #2586
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 333
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Bought a TVS Wego with drum breaks yesterday for Rs:54500/- on road in Delhi. Paid full amount in cash. Got an ISI marked helmet for free. Did not opt for the accessories which basically included the full guard and mat. The sales experience was also good. Did a test drive of both Disc and drum break variant and decided on the drum break one. The breaking is equally good in this. The main reason though was that the kids will learn driving on it.

Before TVS, visited Honda which is in the very next building. Nobody attended me for half an hour. after that they kept me waiting for another 15 mins for test drive. I was fad up with them and walked out. During my stay learnt that the Activa costs Rs:58600/- on road and there there is no discount or any freebee with it. Also there is a waiting period of 20 days and hence the dealer attitude.
Car-Agey is offline  
Old 19th August 2013, 14:24   #2587
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

We're stuck at home deciding between the Honda Aviator and Vespa VX. This scooter will be used for very short urban commutes, maybe grocery shopping duty and such stuff where we prefer not to take the car. My dad and I will both be likely candidates for using it around home. My dad was bent on the Honda, while I was pressing for the retro-styled Vespa which obviously grabs an enthusiast's eye more easily . Vespa VX would be preferred for the disc brake advantage, and price difference isn't really much, just around 4k or so.

Any thoughts from Vespa owners on how the service network strength is?? I used to own a Honda Dio long, long ago and though their service network is incompetent and useless, at least their vehicles run irrespective of the level of abuse meted out. How would a Vespa ownership compare with something from the Honda stable, both in terms of vehicle reliability as well as service network strength??

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th August 2013 at 14:26.
KarthikK is offline  
Old 20th August 2013, 20:28   #2588
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default

Karthik, how about wego? Body control, disc brakes, telescope suspension and better ride . Not to mention, cheaper than other two!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 21:08   #2589
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

My father (70+) bought a Activa, even though I kept on telling him to buy Wego. Now, he dosent even want to talk about it. 2 months later, we bought a Wego (primarily for my wife's usage). Now, she cant stop talking about it!

Personally, I drove both of them. For elderly, I feel wego is the best option out there. Except for ease of handling of Wego, all other parameters between Wego/Activa/Mastero are quite similar.

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 20th August 2013 at 21:09.
amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 22:47   #2590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 508
Thanked: 557 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

on 10th I had booked Wego by full amount. took delivery on 18th. wife just drove from dealer's place to home (~2KM), with a big smile. overall the purchase experience was very good. since we were traveling, the vehicle is just parked and would be put in use in a day or two.
pcpranav is offline  
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:05   #2591
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
We're stuck at home deciding between the Honda Aviator and Vespa VX. This scooter will be used for very short urban commutes, maybe grocery shopping duty and such stuff where we prefer not to take the car. My dad and I will both be likely candidates for using it around home.
I would advice you against Vespa if you are going to use the scooter primarily for grocery shopping and stuff, as the leg space is exposed in metal color. Other scooters use plastic cladding which can be subjected to rough use. Aviator is a good choice though but a bit pricey for the use you are buying it for.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:15   #2592
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

If primary usage is going to be for grocery shopping and the such, then why not consider an electric scooter like the Amperev60 or GoGreen or something like that?

They come cheap, run cheap and maintenance is cheap. No license required, no registration required and cost barely about 5 paise per km to run. Fuel inflation hardly impacts it and charging it overnight will give u about 40kms usage before plugging it back in for another overnight charge-up session.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 08:28   #2593
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

My Activa died yesterday all of a sudden while running on the busy street of Ghodbunder Road. Even with choke on, Tank 75% full no amount of manual kicks helped to start the engine. Called the Honda workshop and they sent a mechanic to inspect. I was told that this was mainly due to low running. It was confirmed that the Activa would have to transported to the workshop for inspection. Exact diagnostics could not be done as my scooter was sidelined to attend the overflowing Sunday AMC crowd. Since today i.e Monday the workshop is closed, any dignostics would be done only tomorrow.

What could be the reasons for the engine not starting? Agreed thats its low running but that shoudnt be the reason or is it? The Mechanic suggested to get the fuel tank and carburettor cleaned additionally for 250/-, is it worth it?
ghodlur is offline  
Old 16th September 2013, 09:27   #2594
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My Activa died yesterday all of a sudden while running on the busy street of Ghodbunder Road. Even with choke on, Tank 75% full no amount of manual kicks helped to start the engine. Called the Honda workshop and they sent a mechanic to inspect. I was told that this was mainly due to low running.
This is very strange. I'm also deeply concerned about this issue because I have recently purchased Activa-i, which I use very sparingly.

It takes more than 10 kicks (with choke engaged) to get it started if left idling for a week.

By the way, how low is your running ? What is your usage pattern ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline  
Old 16th September 2013, 09:36   #2595
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
This is very strange. I'm also deeply concerned about this issue because I have recently purchased Activa-i, which I use very sparingly.

It takes more than 10 kicks (with choke engaged) to get it started if left idling for a week.

By the way, how low is your running ? What is your usage pattern ?

Rohan
Rohan,

Even I was shocked initially when the Mechanic told me that sometimes the engine does get affected due to low running.

Same case with me regarding the morning ritual of using manual lever, but in my case I know the battery has gone kaput and hence the increased kicks. My weekly running is around 30-35 kms, have covered only 8K kms in 3 yrs of ownership. Also have been observing a drop in the FE, earlier I used to easily get 42-45kmpl, but now it has dropped to about 35-40 kmpl. Hence was thinking of fuel tank & carburettor cleanup. Can any BHPian who has got done the same share his observations?
ghodlur is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks