Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 10:36   #2626
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Hi,

Believe this could be a place to post this. Im looking out for a used gearless sccoter. I have a Kinetic Honda and like the ease to travel in traffic with the same. Unfortunately, its completing 15 years of service, not to mention the low fuel efficiency.
Im looking for a used gearless scooter, MH 01 registration preffered. I stay in S. Mumbai so vehicles around the place are fine. If any one selling here/or any leads will be great. You could PM me.
Have looked at olx & quickr, but there is a mad race, not to mention unwanted elements. Started my own venture so also a bit low on my budget for a new one.
kavesh55 is offline  
Old 8th October 2013, 11:13   #2627
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Im looking for a used gearless scooter, MH 01 registration preffered. I stay in S. Mumbai so vehicles around the place are fine. If any one selling here/or any leads will be great. You could PM me.
Try bikewale.com. http://www.bikewale.com/used/
You need to take into account that an used bike might come with hidden maintenance expenses which in the longer run may hurt your pocket. Mind sharing the budget you have.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 8th October 2013, 18:34   #2628
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 946
Thanked: 295 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi,

Believe this could be a place to post this. Im looking out for a used gearless sccoter. I have a Kinetic Honda and like the ease to travel in traffic with the same. Unfortunately, its completing 15 years of service, not to mention the low fuel efficiency.
Im looking for a used gearless scooter, MH 01 registration preffered. I stay in S. Mumbai so vehicles around the place are fine. If any one selling here/or any leads will be great. You could PM me.
Have looked at olx & quickr, but there is a mad race, not to mention unwanted elements. Started my own venture so also a bit low on my budget for a new one.
You really need to think it over. Even i have a 2000 KH and from 2 years was thinking the same but after 1.5 years of trials i found out that there is actually no replacement for this gem of a ride. None i mean none of them will give you the peace of mind (unless of course your KH is already giving you problems), it is the least demanding and the only price you pay is low FE. Even if you ride 30 kms a day it still works out cheap compared to any 4 stroke scooter. At last i have decided that it will remain with me as long as it does not fail mechanically. In 13 years all i have replaced is battery (3), seat cover once, tyres (3), a few break pads, rim once (bent), clutch assembly twice, shockers front and rear once, and few bulbs and RVMs. But never anything from the engine. Think about it.
zulfi hansi is offline  
Old 8th October 2013, 18:39   #2629
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

^^ My sister-in-law bought a Suzuki Access last week by exchanging her 1993 model KH and got Rs 4000.00 for it. She changed it half heartedly, because it had done close to 90k KM and had started giving problems recently. It required a complete make-over and we felt it may not be worth the trouble.
Gansan is offline  
Old 9th October 2013, 11:34   #2630
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 946
Thanked: 295 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ My sister-in-law bought a Suzuki Access last week by exchanging her 1993 model KH and got Rs 4000.00 for it. She changed it half heartedly, because it had done close to 90k KM and had started giving problems recently. It required a complete make-over and we felt it may not be worth the trouble.
Precisely my point. Mine has done 66k so i will keep it until such time it becomes unviable to sustain it. Just like in this case.
zulfi hansi is offline  
Old 14th October 2013, 20:27   #2631
BHPian
 
shiju.dba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 64
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Completed 10,000 Kms on my Rodeo RZ and my overall experience is average. Top speed achieved around 95 KM/Hr with two on board. Mileage around 40 KMPL max.

negative point is I am not able to fill more than 3.5 Liters at a time and need to visit petrol pump every alternate day or once in 3 days minimum.

shiju.dba is offline  
Old 14th October 2013, 20:53   #2632
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Got rid of the Aviator, after numerous unsuccessful visits to various workshops. Riding on a Suzuki Access now.

Relatively trouble free. But the comfort and stance provided by the Aviator is unmatched.
Warwithwheels is offline  
Old 14th October 2013, 22:26   #2633
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 370
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I think this is the best place to ask this question, Is it worthwhile to replace a battery on a gearless scooter which is used for short runs , something like 0.5-1 km at a time, maybe 2-3 times a day. Would the battery get discharged soon or low running is not an issue if battery is good?

And if the answer is yes, any models suggested for 12 V 9 ah battery along with the approximate price.
rock75 is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 08:20   #2634
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Is it worthwhile to replace a battery on a gearless scooter which is used for short runs , something like 0.5-1 km at a time, maybe 2-3 times a day. Would the battery get discharged soon or low running is not an issue if battery is good?

And if the answer is yes, any models suggested for 12 V 9 ah battery along with the approximate price.
If you are unable to start the scooter using the battery (unless the first start for the day which should be manual kick), then its time to replace the battery. Get the battery checked for the internals if starting with battery is a problem. Low running will not affect the battery life, ensure you start the scooter atleast once a day.
Which is this scooter or yours which requires 9AH battery, I thought all scooters come with standard 5AH battery.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 08:48   #2635
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,996 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
And if the answer is yes, any models suggested for 12 V 9 ah battery along with the approximate price.
If you are the user, and you are not having issues with kick starting and the vehicle starts easily with a kick or two you can save some money by not replacing the battery. However if an elderly person or someone else is using then I feelyou better replace. I had to reolace the battery of my Bajaj wave which is now under very sparse usage because my father would take it for nearby errands and I did not want him to take the trouble of kicking the scoot to start every now and then. He was fine with kicking it, as physically he is active but still I didn't like seeing him do it and used to lend him my dio. Soon I replaced the battery. The battery will last at least three years even with least use so I dont think its a major expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
.
Which is this scooter or yours which requires 9AH battery, I thought all scooters come with standard 5AH battery.
Think its the Rodeo or some Mahindra Scoot. They need it to support all those bells and whistles. If only my dio had a 9Ah battery
audioholic is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 09:12   #2636
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,296
Thanked: 897 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Has anyone test driven the new TVS Jupiter yet?

http://www.tvsjupiter.com/home.aspx

If yes, care to share your experience?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 11:05   #2637
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 370
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you are unable to start the scooter using the battery (unless the first start for the day which should be manual kick), then its time to replace the battery. Get the battery checked for the internals if starting with battery is a problem. Low running will not affect the battery life, ensure you start the scooter atleast once a day.
Which is this scooter or yours which requires 9AH battery, I thought all scooters come with standard 5AH battery.
Actually it is a geared one , lml nv ES! a 2010 model run just 4200 km so far, i bought it used and it's working perfectly except that self start is making sound just like when a car starter makes when battery is dead. I bought it used and am completely new to self start scooters though i had lml kick start around 7 years back. The question i am asking is not the battery life but whether it would keep getting discharged due to short runs or around 0.6-1 km at a time though almost every day and 2-3 times a day. I understand the kick start first time concept and will do that. I don't want to buy the battery and then going to get it charged every now and then. I would rather use kick start and dump the Electric option then.

The manual of scooter says you need 12 V 9ah. Maintenance free battery is costing around Rs 1700, are there any cheaper alternatives? Please suggest brands with indicative price.

Last edited by rock75 : 15th October 2013 at 11:12.
rock75 is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 11:50   #2638
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
lml nv ES! a 2010 model run just 4200 km so far,
The manual of scooter says you need 12 V 9ah.
Who is the OEM for the battery presently in the scooter? Exide does have 9Ah batteries. Check the link. Should cost you more than that you mentioned.

https://crm.exidereachout.com/exide_...ze=5)/.do?rf=y
ghodlur is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 12:33   #2639
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 365
Thanked: 166 Times
Default

Replaced my Wifey's 2005 Scooty Pep with Yamaha Ray Z. After going through some reviews and some pages in this thread made us to buy Ray Z.

Though Wego is good in some aspects, the design was not upto our taste. Honda Dio was the final choice, as it had few advantages than Ray Z on tubeless tyres, large under seat storage, more torque & bhp. But waiting period & unhealthy attitude by Honda sales personnel was against buying Dio. Also the body of Ray was little slimmer than Dio which was liked by my wife.

We were extremly Happy with the way the Sale happened at Yamaha Showroom, they were courteous & was helpful doing PDI. The Ray Z has smooth ride & engine is very refined. Will create a ownership thread though my wife rides more of this than me.
Attached Images
 
HighOctane is offline  
Old 15th October 2013, 13:00   #2640
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 370
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Who is the OEM for the battery presently in the scooter? Exide does have 9Ah batteries. Check the link. Should cost you more than that you mentioned.

https://crm.exidereachout.com/exide_...ze=5)/.do?rf=y
it is exide freedom 12mx 9B however i have not heard good reviews of exide, so would like to try some other brand.
rock75 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks