Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2013, 14:34   #2686
BHPian

Default Re: Help me nail a scooterette

Based on your requirements the TVS scooty. Hands down. Or if you want to deviate the Moto scooters, Ray or Dio
Old 18th November 2013, 15:03   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I am thinking of TVS Wego or Pleasure. I like external fuel filling of Wego but that should not really be deciding point.

Will take my wife for a test drive of Deo as well. In the end, it needs to be combination of her liking and price.
TVS Wego is a nice scooter with lots of features (external fuel filling, body balance tech, LED taillamps, alloy wheels, etc) but the engine feels very less refined and sluggish as compared to the Activa/Dio/Aviator. Except this, there is not any major flaw in the Wego. Also it is priced right.

Hero Pleasure has been hit on sales since some time now and I hardly see any new pleasures on road. Though it is a good scooter, it has the old suspension and bland looks. Rest, it is upto you how your wife feels on TD-ing it.

The Dio would not be preferred by your wife IMHO. It has a light-weight body and a refined Honda engine, but the body and looks of the scooter are much more masculine and bulky.

Best would be to get a Wego.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 15:09   #2688
BHPian

If i were you, Wego it will be. Test drove it sometimes back and 2 of my colleagues also have Wego. The body balancing DOES exist and its more composed on hard breaking, Test drive it you will sure understand, i guess this feature is very much required for a lady rider.

Tubeless tyres, External fuel cap, hassle free TVS service, Cheaper. what not. nothing goes wrong against it.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:26   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of TVS Wego or Pleasure.
Wego is a decent scooter, but please keep in mind that it's not top of the charts when it comes to fuel efficiency [which is 1 of the criteria that you have listed]. You can realistically expect around 40-45 km/litre with a sedate riding style.

I didn't have a very good experience with the Wego, but that was 'cause mine was from the earlier batches. I've heard that all those issues have been sorted out now, and the recent ones are relatively trouble free.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 21st November 2013, 08:20   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Took the Activa to the FNG who opened the manual kick assembly and found that the kick ratchet had a worn out gear cog. This was due to the ratchet slipping above the welded part of the manual kick level assembly. Replaced the same with a spare (not Honda original - but the vendor said the same co supplied the spare to Honda), costed me Rs 130/-. Fixed the kick ratchet and the scooter sprung to life in the first kick itself. Tried a couple of times and found no abonormality. The servicing costed Rs 150/-, so total spent was Rs 280/-
Exactly after 8 months the problem resurfaced when the manual kick level got stuck. The same issue, the kick ratchet had a worn out gear. Since I needed the scooter for some urgent work, had to get it serviced at the same FNG and replaced the part. Thsi time it costed Rs 220/- since I argued with the FNG guy about the problem resurfacing.
I am going to ask the Honda workshop to have a closer look at the replaced part during the next scheduled service.
Old 24th November 2013, 12:53   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of TVS Wego or Pleasure.
Trust me you will be very happy with the Scooty, one of my friend had the very same requirement and he got a Scooty 2 months back, and his wife couldn't be happier, she had TD Activa i, Ray, Pleasure, Wego, but zeroed on her own preference (no interference of the husband) of Scooty, even my friend was keen on Ray, Pleasure (also since he rides a Splendor for last 7 years), Activa i, but his wife had a different take on her decision, remember, women think differently and their preferences, priorities are very different from how men think. Leave the decision to her without influencing her, end of the day she is riding it, not you.
Old 24th November 2013, 18:42   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
remember, women think differently and their preferences, priorities are very different from how men think.
When we were looking for a scooter for my wife, she wanted to buy Pleasure because it came in pink color. I told her, if she gets any other color apart from black or white or some shade of grey , I wont drive it. She changed her choice to wego

Regards,

amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 19:07   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
When we were looking for a scooter for my wife, she wanted to buy Pleasure because it came in pink color. I told her, if she gets any other color apart from black or white or some shade of grey , I wont drive it. She changed her choice to wego
Colour! The friend I was referring to also thought he will never ride it and now just to complete the run-in period (since his wife hardly rides 5kms/day), he brings it to office, and its a purple Scooty! Thanks to his wife he is butt of every joke and we are having fun, we call it Purple Hawk (remember TV series Street Hawk in 80s).
Old 25th November 2013, 00:33   #2694
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
BHPians,

I am looking for a gearless scooter for my mother...
@bhasker. Its been almost 2 weeks I took the name of the TVS small scooters the pep, teenz etc. and suddenly this thread has started seeing those names which never appeared here. The reason I am saying this is that as soon as a new plate appears we all drool over it and forget the old underdog, soon it becomes outdated even if it serves the purpose well than the newer entrant.
Majority of the scooter owners ride their scooters < 10km a day and want low cost of ownership and less maintenance. In such cases scooters with ~ 80cc capacity can also be given a thought. Mostly such scooters are run single seat, without a pillion. Instead of doing upsizing of scooter engines, if manufacturers like Honda comes up with small capacity engines ranging 60cc to 80cc and incorporate their latest HET technology in it to make it deliver 80kmpl on road, I bet it can make many buyers happy. Afterall, everyone dosen't needs the power of 100-125cc scooter on the already crowded streets of the markets. Parents would be happy to gift such frugal scooters to their school going kids and older people who anyways ride slow may feel comfortable due to ride the light weight.
People who want to enjoy their rides, the Vespa and likes are there for you.
prokinetic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 23:06   #2695
BHPian

I own a TVS Streak for close to two years now. I am moderately satisfied with this machine when I compare to my long term Activa ownership. I have owned two different Activa's for close to 10 years and have to admire honda for a such a great machine. Within 1 months my TVS streak battery has worn out but it is not the battery and probably leaving the scooter locked for weeks or two. Very recently the scooter stopped and left me stranded in the middle of the road. Could not start after a lot of painful kicks. Had to pull it for over a kilometer to nearest scooter mechanic.

Never had such a hiccup in the middle of the road with Activa. If the batter goes down the kicks pretty much does the job after trying.

Otherwise Streak is a great light machine with enough power that a lady would find comfortable for daily rides.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:12   #2696
BHPian

Could someone please explain what type of automatic gearbox scooters in India use? I know cars have various types of ATs, torque converters, CVTs, Dual Clutch transmissions, etc. But what do our scooters come with?

Sorry for sounding noobish!
Old 18th December 2013, 16:33   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Help me nail a scooterette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Could someone please explain what type of automatic gearbox scooters in India use? I know cars have various types of ATs, torque converters, CVTs, Dual Clutch transmissions, etc. But what do our scooters come with?

Sorry for sounding noobish!
Most of the gearless scooters sold in India have the CVT transmission. The old gen scooters did have the auto clutch technology but they flopped (Classic example Hero Honda Street).

TVS comes with a automatic transmission scooters.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rs-2013-a.html (TVS to launch Automatic Motorcycles & Scooters in 2013)
Old 18th December 2013, 16:33   #2698
Senior - BHPian

All of them use continuously variable transmission.
Old 19th December 2013, 16:49   #2699
BHPian

Am considering a gearless scooter to run weekend errands besides an occasional (probably once-a-month types) ride to work place. Use a Kinetic Honda currently, but is really old. Need something with good suspension, decent mileage and looks, besides space in front.

My first choice was the Yamaha Ray, but the foot space is not much, and this is a primary requirement as i typically pick up groceries in bulk. Haven't test driven, but think it may not be a perfect fit.

Want to stay away from the Honda 2 wheelers. Suspension is not the best. Plus I hear the dealership attitudes are very bad.

Considered the Access, but i hear the mileage is not so good, plus looks a bit oldish (and i find the Swish styling very strange).

Considered the TVS Wego, but find the styling very poor (personal opinion). Have heard about poor quality of initial vehicles, though i hear the newer ones are better. Still cannot digest the thought of buying one, purely for the looks.

Now that the TVS Jupiter has launched, it kind of addresses the issue I had with Wego and makes it a prime contender. However no ownership reviews that i have come across. Any thoughts anyone has around the Jupiter? How does it fare as a regular city commuter? Are there any engine-related issues for this (remember vaguely reading somewhere that the engine was not up to the mark vis-a-vis the Honda/Suzuki offerings)?
Old 19th December 2013, 17:08   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
?.. Any thoughts anyone has around the Jupiter? How does it fare as a regular city commuter? Are there any engine-related issues for this (remember vaguely reading somewhere that the engine was not up to the mark vis-a-vis the Honda/Suzuki offerings)?
Sachinayak

You have almost ruled out pretty much all options I would have recommended. Activa-I or for that matter even regular classic non i version claims to give more mileage than Jupiter as per overdrive below:

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-tvs...tiva-in-india/

As it summarizes opt for it if you are OK with something not yet tried and tested by many; please do let us know of your experience. I am also looking at upgrading my TVS Streak. Will be helpful.

Last edited by TMRT : 19th December 2013 at 17:11.
Closed Thread