Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2014, 13:55   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Meanwhile, we are planning to replace Access with Activa. How much will a 11000 KM run Access fetch? The vehicle will complete 3 years in March (after two months).
You can expect around 35-37k. A little more if its well maintained.

BTW, can you also please elaborate why the switch? It is hardly run and if maintained well can run for quite a long time. So is there a strong negative in the access that you want to replace it? And why with an Activa? Why not any of the other scooters in the market with Telescopic suspension! Asking so that prospective buyers of the 2 scooters can decide better!
Old 9th January 2014, 14:12   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
You can expect around 35-37k. A little more if its well maintained.

BTW, can you also please elaborate why the switch? It is hardly run and if maintained well can run for quite a long time. So is there a strong negative in the access that you want to replace it? And why with an Activa? Why not any of the other scooters in the market with Telescopic suspension! Asking so that prospective buyers of the 2 scooters can decide better!
Activa was always the first choice for the missus. Back then getting a white Activa was next to impossible. Now-a-days, the situation has improved and the waiting period has gone down.

From a user perspective, the ride height is only a bit lower, though it makes significant difference in stop-and-go traffic conditions for the short ones.
Secondly, the ride is harsh and stiff.
Access has another problem in that it becomes noiser as it ages, despite regular servicing. My mechanic himself has an Access and he says all of them have the same problem.
In addition, you feel slight jerks when you accelerate normally from slow speeds. This is also a known issue. You have to accelerate very slowly if you want to avoid that. At speeds above 30 kmph, if you accelerate fast, you will not have any issues though.

For me personally, the handling has been a let down. I always fear that the two-wheeler loses composure or balance when going over humps or bad roads. It is not very confidence inspiring.

The Activa on the other hand does not have any of these issues since we have been using our neighbour's Activa for quite some time.

The only good thing about Access is raw acceleration from 0-60 is fantastic. No one can come close.

The Vespa is sluggish and over priced. It has good mileage and good headlights. The ride is better (more cushiony), and is less unsettled compared to Access on pot holed and uneven roads.

Last edited by S_U_N : 9th January 2014 at 14:16.
Old 9th January 2014, 14:46   #2718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From a user perspective, the ride height is only a bit lower, though it makes significant difference in stop-and-go traffic conditions for the short ones.
Secondly, the ride is harsh and stiff.
Access has another problem in that it becomes noiser as it ages, despite regular servicing. My mechanic himself has an Access and he says all of them have the same problem.
In addition, you feel slight jerks when you accelerate normally from slow

Noticed both issues. I recently rode a friends new access. Maybe I expected a lot out of those telescopes. Wasn't that impressed except for the fact that it didnt land into potholes as harsh as my dio. But definitely nothing to boast about.

Regarding the noise part, the exhaust note is horrible. I can hear my neighbours access starting up and moving from twofloors above. No offense but ot resembles my water pump. Rather the Wego is better in both ride and refinement, though lacks in performance.

Lately, I m admiring the brakes of my dio. Even under the hardest braking, it stops in a composed manner. Faced a bit of emergency braking situations and it stopped in an excellent manner.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:01   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Vespa is sluggish and over priced. It has good mileage and good headlights. The ride is better (more cushiony), and is less unsettled compared to Access on pot holed and uneven roads.
Thanks for the clarification on the access. Unsettled ride over bad roads is definitely difficult to manage specially when the vehicle is used by ladies.

How about other scooters in the market - Yamaha Ray, Activa-I, TVS Jupiter? Did you consider any of these or are you all set on the Activa? Activa-I is a good alternative to Activa for ladies and short people as its smaller in form and easier to maneuver.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:15   #2720
BANNED

Quote:
Vespa also has good acceleration IMO. The engine opens up after a couple of 1000 kms. And yes it looks far classier & more sturdily built than the other scooters on the market.

Having owned a Vespa for 16 yrs since 1993, I fully vouch for it. But yes 10k too expensive & costlier spares.
Old 9th January 2014, 17:17   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Noticed both issues. I recently rode a friends new access. Maybe I expected a lot out of those telescopes. Wasn't that impressed except for the fact that it didnt land into potholes as harsh as my dio. But definitely nothing to boast about.
With Access, you would have felt every undulation hitting your wrists.
You don't get that with Activa or Vespa for sure.

Quote:
Lately, I m admiring the brakes of my dio. Even under the hardest braking, it stops in a composed manner. Faced a bit of emergency braking situations and it stopped in an excellent manner.
A few weeks ago, I had to brake hard for the first time. Speed was around 45-50. The vehicle rear lost balance. I was lucky that I was able to regain balance. I slowed down to around 10-15 kmph speed. Had I tried to stop completely, the vehicle would have probably skidded.
Another issue is that you need long fingers to grab the brake levers. Else your hands start paining, since the distance between the lever and the handle is more than what it should be (for those with short hands).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

How about other scooters in the market - Yamaha Ray, Activa-I, TVS Jupiter? Did you consider any of these or are you all set on the Activa? Activa-I is a good alternative to Activa for ladies and short people as its smaller in form and easier to maneuver.
Was not aware that Activa-I is available. Have not seen it anywhere on the roads. But that seems like a good candidate.

For TVS, I am not sure if missus will even agree for a test ride. Brand recognition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Vespa also has good acceleration IMO. The engine opens up after a couple of 1000 kms. And yes it looks far classier & more sturdily built than the other scooters on the market.
Yes. Engine opens up after a few K KM's. However outright acceleration is still not good enough, if you are used to Access.

TVS Jupiter seems to be a well designed scooter. I am hoping to read some 3-4 month usage review on this one.

Last edited by S_U_N : 9th January 2014 at 17:20.
Old 10th January 2014, 01:40   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
The Vespa might seem to be a little slow till 55-60Kmph, But after that it starts to take off and hits a shade over 100Kmph(speedo indicated) for top whack. The old school full monocoque body also ensures that its stable and does not shiver and vibrate like hell at that speed.

Then the VX has got brilliant braking for a scooter thanks to the disc brake upfront and the new MRF tyres. Thanks to those tyres, One can also attack corners pretty good. It corners brilliantly and one could lean it into curves even more if it weren't for the center stand scraping the asphalt early in.

The motor also is pretty relaxed and it can do a steady 70-80 Kmph all day long if required, without much effort.

And ride comfort, one does not feel tired after doing a long haul. I own a VX and I've done over 250Kms in a day and I was not that run down end of the day.

Then the price factor, It can be justified to a large extent by the quality, fit and finish on offer.

Last edited by jalex77 : 10th January 2014 at 01:45. Reason: Correction
Old 10th January 2014, 11:47   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
The Vespa might seem to be a little slow till 55-60Kmph, But after that it starts to take off and hits a shade over 100Kmph(speedo indicated) for top whack.
True. But how many of us use scooters for speeds above 60 Kmph?
I think ,for city use, performance below 60 Kmph is what matters.
No doubt that the fit, finish and quality is good.

Meanwhile, I dropped into the TVS showroom on the way to office. A white Jupiter was standing outside. Lots of Wego's and some bikes in the showroom.

Now, the first thing I noticed is that there are printouts stuck on the wall and kept on the tables stating that the waiting period for White (and one more colour) is 90 days. For the other two colours, it is 60 days.

The price on the big board hung on the wall was around 53xxx Rs. on road. But the lady gave me a price of 55229 Rs. on road, without any accessories. The price on the board was October price.
With accessories, the price is over Rs. 58000 in Pune.

The reason for the 90 days waiting is production constraint. I was informed that the waiting is bound to increase (and I don't understand what TVS would gain by allowing that to happen).

Saw an Activa-I parked in the parking last evening. It looks 90% like a Dio (which was parked right next to it.)
Activa, in contrast looks bulky (specially towards the rear).
Old 10th January 2014, 13:15   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
True. But how many of us use scooters for speeds above 60 Kmph? I think ,for city use, performance below 60 Kmph is what matters. Saw an Activa-I parked in the parking last evening. It looks 90% like a Dio (which was parked right next to it.) Activa, in contrast looks bulky (specially towards the rear).
Sorry but in my honest opinion speed above sixty with any scooter is just an unsafe aggression. It is too risky for those small wheels.

Activa may be bulky but it is still number 1 scooter in terms of all the attributes combined. It will take years for the activa-I to come close to the repute it's conventional big brother has made on Indian streets. Any one know Honda's strategy? Are they discontinuing ACTIVA in lieu of ACTIVA-i ?
Old 10th January 2014, 13:27   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Any one know Honda's strategy? Are they discontinuing ACTIVA in lieu of ACTIVA-i ?
No. Both scooters will sell in parallel. Activa-I is targeted to the fairer sex, and hopefully will bring in more customers, those looking at Scooty and Pleasure.
Old 10th January 2014, 13:28   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
. Any one know Honda's strategy? Are they discontinuing ACTIVA in lieu of ACTIVA-i ?
Well there is nothing for the Activa-I to prove on the mechanical front. It is exactly the same as Activa so not sure what you meant by coming close to the repute of the big brother. The shape has been made less bulkier and sleeker for the fairer sex to handle the vehicle easily. Dont think they will discontinue Activa as Activa-I is supposed to bite into the market share of Hero Pleasure, Yamaha Ray, TVS Scooty etc.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:00   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Now, the first thing I noticed is that there are printouts stuck on the wall and kept on the tables stating that the waiting period for White (and one more colour) is 90 days. For the other two colours, it is 60 days.

With accessories, the price is over Rs. 58000 in Pune.

The reason for the 90 days waiting is production constraint. I was informed that the waiting is bound to increase
+1 to that. My Bro-in-law had booked a white Jupiter on 18th November and was promised delivery in Jan 14 last week. Recently when he contacted the dealer he was given the feelers that even that may be delayed. Dont understand TVS strategy, are they going the Honda way who was notorious is creating a false picture of Activa unavailability due to backlog bookings?

It did cost Rs 58K with all accessories for my bro-in-law.
Old 10th January 2014, 15:48   #2728
Senior - BHPian

I have to ask Honda dealers what is the waiting period for Activa and Activa-I.
Old 10th January 2014, 23:42   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Here are details from the Honda dealer:
Activa: 45 days waiting for white. Rs. 57671 + Rs. 4000 accessories.
Activa-I: 8 days waiting for white: Rs. 54343 + Rs. 4000 accessories.
Basic accessories like side stand and foot rest are already included in price.
Old 11th January 2014, 01:23   #2730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are details from the Honda dealer:
Activa: 45 days waiting for white. Rs. 57671 + Rs. 4000 accessories.
Activa-I: 8 days waiting for white: Rs. 54343 + Rs. 4000 accessories.
Basic accessories like side stand and foot rest are already included in price.
White seems to have a mad craze everywhere. Even people in my circle who brought white scoots had to wait. Other colours were available off the shelf. Buy the activa instead of the activa-i. Somehow the panels and quality did not impress me. On the other hand, Dio jas better plastics conpared to the Activa-i. The activa classic will give you strong metal panels in case you dont want plastic.
Closed Thread