Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2014, 22:43   #2731
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Visited Honda and TVS showrooms today.
Honda dealer "Shanti Honda" had Aviator and Access-I both available for test drive.

Wife was not happy with the Access-I at all, both in terms of the looks and the ride. She found the handle very light (maybe due to the heavier feel of the Access.)
Then she tried the Aviator and felt a longer ride in stop-go traffic situation is needed, since the seating position was similar to Access - meaning not comfortable for long duration due to height.

So Activa-I is ruled out.
Activa in white can be made available by 26th January as per the dealer.
Activa: Rs. 56837 (includes standard fitting Rs. 1350 + extended warranty 1 year Rs 410)
Extra accessories: Rs 3250.

Aviator with disc brakes: Rs 63865 + Rs 2990 (accessories)
Aviator with drum brakes: Rs. 57973 + Rs 2990 (accessories)

Next we moved to TVS showroom. They have no test vehicle and will not be having one in future too.
This is simply because the demand is so much that it does not make sense for them to keep a test vehicle. They were keen on selling the Wego which is available in plenty. It seems not many are buying Wego.

So, TVS Jupiter is ruled out without a test drive. Other dealers are far off.

We spotted a Hero Maestro parked near the TVS dealership and planned to visit the Hero dealership, but could not find enough time.

How is Maestro?

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th January 2014 at 22:49.
S_U_N is offline  
Old 12th January 2014, 19:51   #2732
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

^^ The Maestro looks great,sports the same engine as the Activa and will be a tad heavy too.

However you might find the attitude of the Hero dealership a little indifferent.

I'd recommend an Activa anyday - safest bet.
vigsom is offline  
Old 12th January 2014, 23:51   #2733
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

We spotted a Hero Maestro parked near the TVS dealership and planned to visit the Hero dealership, but could not find enough time.

How is Maestro?
Dealership experience was not upto the mark when I visited. In fact it was worse than honda. I was sent from table to table like in a Govt. Office without a single person attending. When I asked for a test drive, they showed a vehicle with battery disconnected and told me to take it off its stand and move it a bit. Guess they should be taught what a test drive is. Especially I was keen in seeing how the instrument cluster looks like. They couldnt show it.

When I asked for colour options, me and my friend were directed to two upper floors which had a six person lift. They carried two wheelers in upright position from ground floor to the terrace where the vehicles are stored. Both the Honda showrooms had a goods lift in which three scoots could be moved at a time.

Once we reached the upper floors, we were left without anyone. Then came a guy to retrieve a bike. When we asked him he pointed out to the stock and told "Alli yello iratte check madi" - Its there somewhere just check. So we were alone on the terrace, and we could just do anything there to their stock. We searched two floors and a hundred vehicles to see all the colour options available. My friend did not like the attitude too. In the Yamaha showroom, we had a pleasant experience, with TD being offered to both of us and a good mannered SA. In the Honda showroom things were not so courteous but if we asked them something, they were more than happy to oblige. Hero was the worst. Thats another company riding on brand name just like honda. Else there is nothing else they have to offer.

In fact, when I took dad to show him the colour options for dio, though it was closing time and they had shut down everything, the Honda SA got a basement opened, and a few guys pulled Dios of all colours out of the stock and parked them side by side. Since the lighting was not so good as they had closed, they again moved the vehicles to a bright place and let us choose. I least bother about service and thats another thing. But sales experience was satisfactory, if not excellent and moreover satisfactory compared to our car buying experience since I have never brought another two wheeler till date to compare.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 08:20   #2734
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Honda dealer "Shanti Honda" had Aviator and Access-I both available for test drive.
Wife was not happy with the Access-I at all.
How is Maestro?
S_U_N,

You meant Activa-I I guess. For a moment I was confused why would Honda sell a Suzuki product.

Maestro is nothing but rehashed Activa with same specs, except Hero added a bit of their touch to it by selling it as Maestro. It is being advertised as an option for males who find it difficult to buy a scooter when most of them are sold keeping the fairer sex in mind.

Did you try Yamaha Ray?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 12:32   #2735
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Yes. I meant the Activa-I.
Not looked at Yamaha Ray, but wife was not happy seeing the pictures at least.
Will look around a bit more.
S_U_N is offline  
Old 13th January 2014, 13:04   #2736
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Not looked at Yamaha Ray, but wife was not happy seeing the pictures at least.
Same with my wife. She did not like it in the pics. But one test ride changed the whole perception! So let her take a test ride and then decide.
abhinav.s is online now  
Old 13th January 2014, 13:13   #2737
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 591
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I was in the look out for scooters that both myself and wife can drive. Test drove the Wego, Ray Z, Dio. Ruled out access, Swish and aviator because of the weight. Was in a dilemma between Wego and Ray but the looks, engine smoothness sealed it for my wife and myself respectively. Jupiter with the wider seats was not ok for my wife who also ruled out Pleasure because it has been there for quite a while.

Also went to Manasaravor Honda in Medavakkam and realized that Dio production is stopped for now as Honda is shifting production to a new plant near Bangalore. So no more Dio at least for 2-3 months unless there are old stocks available. Activa-i was available for immediate delivery. Wife did not like Activa-i. Plus they offered me 20k for my Fazer in exchange. When I told them if that is the case, I don't want an activa, they let me walk away without even offering a better price or anything. Their attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Just to give a perspective, Sathyaa TVS gave me a quote of 34K whilst Bikers Yamaha gave me 27k. When I told the same to Bikers, they offered me 2.5 worth of accessories free and also offered me 2K more for my Fazer + assured to get me a Jan 2014 manufactured vehicle instead of Dec/Nov vehicles available with them.

Finally booked Ray Z today with an OTR of 58195 in Chennai. Ray's breaking is decent or on par with Wego (non aBs model) , suspension is decent, the engine sound is like activa and the pick up pretty good.
Sridhar K is offline  
Old 13th January 2014, 13:34   #2738
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi, Believe this could be a place to post this. Im looking out for a used gearless sccoter. I have a Kinetic Honda and like the ease to travel in traffic with the same. Unfortunately, its completing 15 years of service, not to mention the low fuel efficiency.
Im looking for a used gearless scooter, MH 01 registration preffered. I stay in S. Mumbai so vehicles around the place are fine. If any one selling here/or any leads will be great.
Dear all- Ive finally managed to get myself a 2011 Honda Dio, its done around 9000kms, MH01 registered and maintained by a motorhead. When checked with my mechanic, its a usual 'Saab, sab thik hain aap bas chalao'. I had a few queries and wished to check -

1) Moves only after quarter to half throttle. Is this normal ?
2) Cost of replacement panels as the body is fibre/plastic like the new scooters :(
3) Any checks to be done at this mileage ?
4) Maintenance tips for Honda Activa/Dio engines.
5) The oil level had reduced from 7800 kms when it was changed. Never encountered this with my car. Changed the oil with Activ 4T. Is this normal

Thanks in anticipation. Some pics of my dio.


Regards,
Kavesh
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-wp_20140107_003.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-wp_20140107_002.jpg  

kavesh55 is offline  
Old 13th January 2014, 23:50   #2739
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post

1) Moves only after quarter to half throttle. Is this normal ?
2) Cost of replacement panels as the body is fibre/plastic like the new scooters :(
3) Any checks to be done at this mileage ?
4) Maintenance tips for Honda Activa/Dio engines.
5) The oil level had reduced from 7800 kms when it was changed. Never encountered this with my car. Changed the oil with Activ 4T. Is this normal
Hi, just a few things which I personally follow to maintain my dio, the newer variant
1. Think clutch needs to be cleaned or looked at. However I did not get the exact issue you addressed. My dio moves forward at the slightest throttle input and I rarely use more than half throttle at any speed any condition.

2. Not so cheap nor too expensive. Cost varies from panel to panel. Smaller panels obviously cost less than a thousand and bigger ones may cost more.

3. Not sure but since you have changed the engine oil and got it serviced, I dont think you should do anything now.

4. Give a gentle warm up to the engine and drive slowly for the first km or two of a day. Use a good brand and grade of oil and change it regularly whether you run the vehicle or not.

5. Better keep a check on it.
audioholic is online now  
Old 16th January 2014, 14:08   #2740
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Got an opportunity to do a proper test drive my neighbor's Activa today.
Basically, I rode the scooter to office on my usual route, to compare how different it is to the Access that I use every day.
We are here comparing a 3 year old Access with 11500 KM on the odo with a 1-1.5 year old Activa with 4500 KM on the odo. So, a lot would depend on how the two vehicles are maintained and there could be specific problems with those particular vehicles as well.
Nevertheless, after 10 KM, I had the following observations

Activa Pros:
1. Activa has a much better sitting position - I am 5 feet 4 inches. It is like sitting on a cruiser bike. Very relaxed and perfect height of the seat from the ground.
2. Engine is very silent. At constant speed of 40, I have to listen carefully to confirm if the engine is running. In contrast, Access has a throaty growl.
3. Light handle. Easier to turn the scooter. Access has a heavier handle.
4. Very smooth pickup. Absolutely no jerks.
5. Enough power with small throttle applied. It may not be the quickest off the mark, but lacks nothing as well.
6. Bigger storage space under seat. I felt that the space is deeper and longer as well compared to Access. I don't know the specifications.
7. No vibrations at idle or even during pickup. In contrast, Access has vibrations during idle.
8. Slightly better in handling at turns. I think this is due to the lighter handle bar, perhaps.
9. Suspension is good in the sense that if there are minor imperfections on the road, you will not feel anything at all.

Activa Cons:
1. Vehicle seems to lose straight line stability when another vehicle (such as a car) passes by. Is that due to the light handle?
2. The weight of the vehicle seems to be on the left side. At least I got that feeling that the vehicle is not balanced.
3. Suspension is good for good roads with minor imperfections. But the moment you encounter bad roads, you will get shocks on the wrists and on the spine.
You cannot afford to miss out any undulations on the roads, at higher speeds (say above 40). You will have to slow down.
4. Tiny RVM's. Really, the diamond shape reduces the visibility. Access has oval shape mirrors and they cover a wider area.
5. Fuel lid design looks bad. In contrast the plastic one from Access is easier for us to open and does not get dirty as well.
6. Build quality seems to be inferior. There is noise coming from the front whenever it goes over a bad patch. Considering the age of the vehicle, that is bad. Also the brake levers on both the left and right seem to be quite lose and almost dangling. I don't know if that is due to misuse or due to poor build quality.
In contrast, Access feels lot 'tight' and well put-together with no such noise or loose elements.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 23:02   #2741
BHPian
 
drpudhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Erode/Kovai
Posts: 314
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Hi am looking at a gearless scooter for my brother in law. Jupiter vs Activa vs RayZ. It should also be manageable for his wife. They are in favor of Jupiter for the features it offers. Also is it true that RayZ doesn't come with tubeless tires ? How to know the correct manufacture date of the scooter from the chassis no. ? any pointers will be welcome. And what are the waiting periods for these models in chennai ?

Last edited by drpudhi : 16th January 2014 at 23:04.
drpudhi is offline  
Old 16th January 2014, 23:31   #2742
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Nevertheless, after 10 KM, I had the following observations

Activa Pros:
1. Activa has a much better sitting position - I am 5 feet 4 inches. It is like sitting on a cruiser bike. Very relaxed and perfect height of the seat from the ground.
2. Engine is very silent. At constant speed of 40, I have to listen carefully to confirm if the engine is running. In contrast, Access has a throaty growl.
3. Light handle. Easier to turn the scooter. Access has a heavier handle.
4. Very smooth pickup. Absolutely no jerks.
5. Enough power with small throttle applied. It may not be the quickest off the mark, but lacks nothing as well.
6. Bigger storage space under seat. I felt that the space is deeper and longer as well compared to Access. I don't know the specifications.
7. No vibrations at idle or even during pickup. In contrast, Access has vibrations during idle.
8. Slightly better in handling at turns. I think this is due to the lighter handle bar, perhaps.
9. Suspension is good in the sense that if there are minor imperfections on the road, you will not feel anything at all.

Activa Cons:
1. Vehicle seems to lose straight line stability when another vehicle (such as a car) passes by. Is that due to the light handle?
2. The weight of the vehicle seems to be on the left side. At least I got that feeling that the vehicle is not balanced.
3. Suspension is good for good roads with minor imperfections. But the moment you encounter bad roads, you will get shocks on the wrists and on the spine.
You cannot afford to miss out any undulations on the roads, at higher speeds (say above 40). You will have to slow down.
4. Tiny RVM's. Really, the diamond shape reduces the visibility. Access has oval shape mirrors and they cover a wider area.
5. Fuel lid design looks bad. In contrast the plastic one from Access is easier for us to open and does not get dirty as well.
6. Build quality seems to be inferior. There is noise coming from the front whenever it goes over a bad patch. Considering the age of the vehicle, that is bad. Also the brake levers on both the left and right seem to be quite lose and almost dangling. I don't know if that is due to misuse or due to poor build quality.
In contrast, Access feels lot 'tight' and well put-together with no such noise or loose elements.
Quite what I feel regarding most aspects. Suspension is fit for good roads. These days I have stopped landing the vehicle onto bumps at high speeds. However regarding handling, my dio is itself very stable so I expect the activa to be more stable due to its weight. I took my dio for a 12km journey to my dads workplace since i was late and I could maintain good speeds without fear of losing balance.

Regarding brakes again I think a service would sort the play. Due to the combi brakes, you may expect some play in the lever since the brakes should be balanced properly. If you were in Bangalore I would have let you ride my dio and compare

@Drpudhi, Ray doesnt come with tubeless tyres. I dont think apart from hondas any other scoot comes with tubeless tyres. However I guess it would be a good choice no doubt. I heard that the jupiter has insane waiting periods and dont think it would be worth when there are activas available off the shelf now. Even if the jupiter continues to sell, they will inherit the honda attitude when it comes to service too. As honda is expanding dealerships, the new ones are trying to do a good job and the old heavy heads are now trying to pull up their socks. Hence you can consider a rayz or an activa. However the RayZ would he comfortable for women to handle compared to the bulky activa. Hence, choose the vehicle based on what you would prefer. Do take a FEW test drives too before deciding.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th January 2014 at 23:38.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 07:10   #2743
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I dont think apart from hondas any other scoot comes with tubeless tyres.
IIRC, even the Honda's come with a TuffUp tube and not proper tubeless tyres. At least that was the case when we had bought the Dio. Jupiter has tubeless tyres from the OEM.
abhinav.s is online now  
Old 17th January 2014, 08:19   #2744
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Regarding brakes again I think a service would sort the play. Due to the combi brakes, you may expect some play in the lever since the brakes should be balanced properly.
The combi brakes do their job just fine, I mean the brakes are biting hard and the scooter comes to a standstill the moment the brakes are applied

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Activa Cons:
3. Suspension is good for good roads with minor imperfections. But the moment you encounter bad roads, you will get shocks on the wrists and on the spine.
You cannot afford to miss out any undulations on the roads, at higher speeds (say above 40). You will have to slow down.
How I wish Honda provide the telescopic suspensions in the Activa, would have made life more easier on bad roads esp in monsoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi am looking at a gearless scooter for my brother in law. Jupiter vs Activa vs RayZ. It should also be manageable for his wife.
Ray is the lightest amongst the 3 shortlisted whereas Activa is the heaviest. If the lady can do with the heavier scooter then Activa would be a good choice. But considering that Activa's are too common on the streets, Activa I can be thought of. I would place my money on Activa I coz the other two are relatively new in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
IIRC, even the Honda's come with a TuffUp tube and not proper tubeless tyres.
+1 to that. Tuff up tube is not tubeless tyres. Does Jupiter come with Alloy wheels?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 08:34   #2745
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
IIRC, even the Honda's come with a TuffUp tube and not proper tubeless tyres. At least that was the case when we had bought the Dio. Jupiter has tubeless tyres from the OEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

+1 to that. Tuff up tube is not tubeless tyres. Does Jupiter come with Alloy wheels?
All versions of Dio 110, and HET version of Activa, Aviator come with Tubeless tyres standard. Tuff up tubes were replaced from 2013 models check the press release in TBHP itself. My dio has tubeless tyres and not those tuff up tubes.
audioholic is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks