Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 18th September 2014, 11:32   #2956
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Did you only clean the outside of the scooter or did you clean something inside as well? I am getting the same 'klich' sound on low speeds on my Access, which has done around 8k kms in 3 years. Ironically, this sound started after the service at the A S S. I took it back to them, they said they cleaned the clutch box, but the sound reappeared in 2-3 days
That was only outside cleaning (underbody).
However, that did not solve the problem completely.

After a few days, I got the belt replaced. See the other thread. It has all the details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3532885 (My 5 year old Suzuki Access)
The problem has gone completely and the linear acceleration is back. Awesome experience.

Last edited by S_U_N : 18th September 2014 at 11:34.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 11:48   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That was only outside cleaning (underbody).
However, that did not solve the problem completely.

After a few days, I got the belt replaced. See the other thread. It has all the details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3532885 (My 5 year old Suzuki Access)
The problem has gone completely and the linear acceleration is back. Awesome experience.
Thanks, is the belt available outside? I mean at the automobile shops and not only a the service center?
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 12:37   #2958
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Vespa has the activa type front shocks. I dunno what they are called. They are not telescopic for sure. In spite of this people lap it up like hot cakes citing premium and retro reasons at close to a lakh on road price. Talk about taking the customers for a bumpy ride
Vespa does indeed have a single-sided front telescopic suspension. I guess Honda Activa 125 has a double-sided one?

http://m.overdrive.in/reviews/spec-c...suzuki-access/

http://www.gaadi.com/news/limited-ed...-rs-73387-9150

Most Vespa owners like yours truly pay the premium with eyes wide open for various reasons
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:00   #2959
BHPian

[quote=gsurya;3536376]Vespa does indeed have a single-sided front telescopic suspension. I guess Honda Activa 125 has a double-sided one?

Activa 125 has got the Telescopic Suspension and it's no different from others. Vespa's Front Suspension looks dated, but the dampers are of Superior quality. Whereas Activa 110 and Dio uses, Suspension set up which is at least 3 - 4 decades old and is the worst to handle potholes.

As our other members have mentioned, Go with any Scooter with Front Telescopic Suspension. Generally, Honda Scooters come with Stiff Suspension to reduce maintenance of the Vehicle and in turn increasing the maintenance of the Rider. The hardest suspension setup is on Honda Eterno.

Coming to the Rear Suspension, all the Scooters have same setup and unlike Bikes, they're are Non adjustable. The manufacturing Company decides on the level of stiffness. An exception to all the Scooters is TVS Wego, which has got Gas Charged Rear Suspension. I guess, the same has been carried on to Jupiter.
jaaz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:29   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Vespa does indeed have a single-sided front telescopic suspension. I guess Honda Activa 125 has a double-sided one?

http://m.overdrive.in/reviews/spec-c...suzuki-access/

http://www.gaadi.com/news/limited-ed...-rs-73387-9150

Most Vespa owners like yours truly pay the premium with eyes wide open for various reasons
I know. Sometimes you go with heart and not the mind

I didnt know a scoot can have a single sided telescopic suspension. Maybe this is a segment first in Vespa if it is indeed telescopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post

Activa 125 has got the Telescopic Suspension and it's no different from others. Vespa's Front Suspension looks dated, but the dampers are of Superior quality. Whereas Activa 110 and Dio uses, Suspension set up which is at least 3 - 4 decades old and is the worst to handle potholes.

As our other members have mentioned, Go with any Scooter with Front Telescopic Suspension. Generally, Honda Scooters come with Stiff Suspension to reduce maintenance of the Vehicle and in turn increasing the maintenance of the Rider. The hardest suspension setup is on Honda Eterno.

Coming to the Rear Suspension, all the Scooters have same setup and unlike Bikes, they're are Non adjustable. The manufacturing Company decides on the level of stiffness. An exception to all the Scooters is TVS Wego, which has got Gas Charged Rear Suspension. I guess, the same has been carried on to Jupiter.

Although i have not ridden a vespa i concur with your points. Activa/DIO front suspension is pathetic on bad roads.

If a telescopic suspension can be made badly like in flyte, it is possible for the conventional front suspension on the Vespa to be of much higher quality than that of the competitors. Atleast visually they look beefy and well built

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th September 2014 at 13:32.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:49   #2961
BANNED

Quote:

I didnt know a scoot can have a single sided telescopic suspension. Maybe this is a segment first in Vespa if it is indeed telescopic

Although i have not ridden a vespa i concur with your points. Activa/DIO front suspension is pathetic on bad roads.

If a telescopic suspension can be made badly like in flyte, it is possible for the conventional front suspension on the Vespa to be of much higher quality than that of the competitors. Atleast visually they look beefy and well built
I did a 130 km round trip on my Vespa on partially bad roads last week & can vouch for the front suspension, handled them beautifully.

But the VX seat is not made for long rides unlike motorbikes, I think the new Elegante split seat may help in this regard.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:13   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Thanks, is the belt available outside? I mean at the automobile shops and not only a the service center?
My mechanic was able to ask another garage owner to get the belt. I had to pay Rs. 37 extra.

I am not sure about Bangalore. Try your luck at some established spare part shops.

Edit: About suspension, if you miss one of those rubber speed brakers on an Activa, you will get a nice jolt, even as a pillion rider. The effect is lesser on an Access.
However, if you go slow over the bad roads, Activa (old) will do a much better job than Access.
I am not sure about new Activa.

To improve the ride on Access, the air pressure should be set lower (18 PSI is good enough). Most tyre shops put 25 PSI in the front. Rear pressure is recommended at 25 for single rider, but I prefer 36, since I cannot predict when there would be a pillion.

If there is a pillion, then the scooter does not jump much on bad stretches. So, those with more body weight should enjoy the ride more than the ones with a lighter frame (like me).

Vespa is softer than Access and undulations are handled better than Access. I think vertical movement of the spring is more on Vespa as well (based on 120 KM round trip last year).

If you miss a pot hole on Access, nothing happens to the scooter. The build quality of the rims and suspension components is solid.

Last edited by S_U_N : 18th September 2014 at 14:19.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:16   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Vespa has the activa type front shocks

Even a telescopic suspension can be badly designed. Case in point being our Mahindra Flyte. Though it is telescopic , it is pathetic at soaking up bumps!

OT: Mahindra scooters are the crappiest scooters in market now in terms of design. Though engine is awesome, all other parts are sub standard. Bad mileage, crappy front suspension. Lack of stability.And not to mention the mediocre service. Theirs is one scooter that you should avoid at all costs!
We've a Flyte at Home for the last 6 years, running good. I personally liked the Suspension, which is very soft. Engine, Design, Large under seat Storage & Suspension are the PRO's. And Build Quality, Low Mileage, Expensive Service are the CON's. Since the Vehicle is used very sparingly, the CON's are not an issue.

After using Activa for about 5 years, I suffered severe back pain, so I was very particular about the Suspension. And Kinetic Flyte had an imported Front Shocks, which prompted me to select the Scooter. But since you're unhappy with the Shocks, I guess either Mahindra is now manufacturing locally with Poor quality or your particular vehicle has got manufacturing defects.
The Suspension of Kinetic Flyte is very soft and coupled with a very low ground clearance, touches Bangalore's Speed bumps with 2 persons on board.

Although, I don't suggest Flyte to anyone, the Scooter as a whole has served my purpose.

Quote:

The build quality of Vespa is very good in every aspect. Almost all the parts used are of premium quality. As per my view, the Premium is justified. And considering Activa 125 dlx price around 78K on raod in Bangalore, with a very poor after sales service, a premium of around 10K is justified with the product itself. Added to that you get courteous dealers and a decent service center.
jaaz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 17:12   #2964
BANNED

Quote:
The build quality of Vespa is very good in every aspect. Almost all the parts used are of premium quality. As per my view, the Premium is justified. And considering Activa 125 dlx price around 78K on raod in Bangalore, with a very poor after sales service, a premium of around 10K is justified with the product itself. Added to that you get courteous dealers and a decent service center.
My new Vespa has done less than 500 kms so far, but my first scooter LML Vespa was still running very well even after 16 years. I shouldnt have sold it a decade ago, would have been great vintage now
Old 18th September 2014, 18:39   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We've a Flyte at Home for the last 6 years, running good. I personally liked the Suspension, which is very soft. Engine, Design, Large under seat Storage & Suspension are the PRO's. And Build Quality, Low Mileage, Expensive Service are the CON's. Since the Vehicle is used very sparingly, the CON's are not an issue.

After using Activa for about 5 years, I suffered severe back pain, so I was very particular about the Suspension. And Kinetic Flyte had an imported Front Shocks, which prompted me to select the Scooter. But since you're unhappy with the Shocks, I guess either Mahindra is now manufacturing locally with Poor quality or your particular vehicle has got manufacturing defects.
The Suspension of Kinetic Flyte is very soft and coupled with a very low ground clearance, touches Bangalore's Speed bumps with 2 persons on board.

Although, I don't suggest Flyte to anyone, the Scooter as a whole has served my purpose
Ours is also a kinetic flyte 2008 model. The problem is the service center guys here in Bangalore are totally incompetent and can't diagnose or solve problems. Which led to issues piling up. Never got a mileage above 35 even with sedate riding. Handling is also not confident inspiring.

Anyway have booked a wego disc. Hope it will serve us well.
Old 19th September 2014, 16:09   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Ours is also a kinetic flyte 2008 model. The problem is the service center guys here in Bangalore are totally incompetent and can't diagnose or solve problems. Which led to issues piling up. Never got a mileage above 35 even with sedate riding. Handling is also not confident inspiring.
You're absolutely right. I'd already mentioned about the Expensive Service. Not only this, the Service guys are not well trained and they still think that they are working for Kinetic Honda. Earlier Models of Kinetic Flyte had more than 25% parts imported from Taiwan.

Many Customers had reported about Fuel Tank Leakages, and even I did so. They kept on fooling me that it's because of the drain pipe during the warranty period. Once the warranty period was over they informed me that the Fuel Tank has to be changed, and duly charged me the same. Honda Scooters Service personnel are also sailing in the same boat, but Honda products are good and are less prone to manufacturing defects. That's how Honda is surviving, or else, it would've taken the Bajaj Scooters route.

If you consider only Service Part, 2 Wheeler's are getting closer to 4 Wheeler's as far as Cost is concerned, but we get much more respect at a Car service center than at a Scooter Service Center. If it was not for the Overcrowded and Narrow Roads of Bangalore, I would've safely used a Car for all purposes.

[/quote]Anyway have booked a wego disc. Hope it will serve us well.[/quote]

WEGO is a Good Choice. I feel both Jupiter & Wego, with different set of clothes are good. What I've learnt from the owners of TVS products, is that the Company keeps on upgrading the products, where ever it is possible. The Company has survived the break up from Suzuki and is doing decently. I hope Hero also continuous it's growth trajectory.

Kinetic never came up after the break up with Honda. Hardly investing anything into R & D. Flyte has done some decent numbers a couple of years back, because Kinetic has got nothing to do with this Scooter, except assembling & selling. Even this, they couldn't handle.
Old 19th September 2014, 16:16   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
My new Vespa has done less than 500 kms so far, but my first scooter LML Vespa was still running very well even after 16 years. I shouldnt have sold it a decade ago, would have been great vintage now
TRUE !!!. In Western Countries, (Suburbs) - they do have a Garden & a Backyard. So, that we can store some obsolete, but loved things. Many people have experimented and custom built Cars, Bikes etc., out of their backyard. We cannot afford such luxury things. Not at least in Bangalore, Mumbai etc., where every square inch counts.
Old 20th September 2014, 11:03   #2968
BHPian

Hi Guys,

So finally we decided to stick with Honda and bought ourselves the second honda in the family. This time we bought the Aviator with Disc brakes as I wanted to ensure that the suspension is telescopic and other than 125 activa and aviator no other scooter in honda stable have telescopic front suspension and 125 Activa has 6 months waiting period. Hence I settled for aviator.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:38   #2969
BHPian

Quote:
I thought the suspension setup is called Trailing arm suspension. Strangely the Vespa's brochure mentions it as "Aircraft inspired hydraulic front suspension" with no mention of it being Telescopic.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:10   #2970
BHPian

Default Wego or Scooty Zest

Hey Guys,

Am looking to replace my Wife's current Scoot which is a Kinetic Sym Flyte...not Mahindra since we purchased it in March 2008 before Mahindra took over. It has been serving us OK without any major Issues as such which is very surprising looking at the negative reviews on the Web. Mileage has been on the lower side and going to replace it now since it has been close to 6 Yrs. 6 Months and touching 25000 Kms mark.

Shortlisted TVS Wego, Scooty Zest and Suzuki Let's since my wife is of a shorter height of about 5' 1". So, Scooter should be short in height and lighter in weight.

A lot of review mags have been praising Lets but i did not come back that impressed. Agreed the Engine is good but i somehow did not like the Fit and Finish. At some places, it was not completely stuck and was moving when pressed...hope you get what i am trying to tell.

TVS on the other hand has amazing fit and finish, for both Wego and the new Zest. I am mighty impressed with the new Zest. The Side View and Rear View is nice and catchy. Only downside being the familiar feminine looking conical front shape, which makes Men look funny while riding it. And i do intend to ride this, though majority of the riding will be done by my Wifey. If at all TVS had designed the Front normally, it would have been a no brainer to go for the Zest.

Wego also seems pretty VFM although i am yet to fully come to terms with it's design and looks. Dont know but Wego, for some reason does not look like the other Normal Scooters like Activa, Access Jupiter, etc. The Digital Console, Alloy Wheels and other features are great.

So, at this moment, it is 60 - 40 in favor of Wego. Rest depends on when Wifey takes a Test Ride and which she feels comfortable with. I intend to book it by tomorrow so that i get Delivery on the auspicious Dussehra Day.

Will be trading my Flyte for exchange which i am told will be 8000 max. Very Sad.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers...
Closed Thread