Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 21st October 2014, 08:09   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

A short review of TVS Wego:

It has done about 345 KMs in 80 days. I have used it for more than 340 KMs, although wife bought it for herself. My comments are based only on my experience.

On the day we bought it, it was raining. So we asked a mechanic of the service centre to bring it to our house 2 KMs away. He was following me, and had his high beam on. The light seemed so bright that I had to switch my car's prismatic IRVM to night mode! I was happy that the stock bulb is very good.

But when I used the scooter at nights, I realised that the high beam is completely useless. When I switch to high beam, low beam goes off (I hear this is the case in all two-wheelers). The high beam is so high that I see nothing in front of me if an oncoming vehicle also has high beam. Since then, I use only low beam.

The digital instrument cluster is beautiful. It even tells you whether you are riding in economy mode or power mode. My rides always in power mode

The pick up from standstill is very good. Note that I weigh over 100 kgs and so I am quite wide too. My body frame acts as a big sail, and I can feel it once the speed exceeds 50 kmph or so. Yet, I am impressed with the pickup of a 110 cc bike.

The rear view mirrors are suited for people with thin frames. My arms hide half the mirrors. While overtaking, I have to twist my neck to see that there are no vehicles behind me. Since adjusting the mirrors didn't make things better, I assume the only solution is to increase the lengths of mirror arms.

Ride is decent. I find the wide seat comfortable compared to my 13 year old Caliber. Caliber's seat was fine when I bought it, but now I have put on weight. One problem with Wego is that the front suspension bottoms out if I am little bit fast on pot holes or humps (compared to Caliber).

Handling is very good for a scooter. I am able to ride it almost like my bike on curves. I guess body-balance tech means the weight on both sides is balanced.

Mileage, I don't know. I don't really care either. Tank capacity is only 5 litres. I remember doing full tank at 60 kms on odometer. Next I did full tank for 320 Rs at 250 kms. Now the meter is showing the tank is about half empty. I guess I am getting low mileage, but I attribute that to my style of driving (always in power mode).
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 09:27   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
A short review of TVS Wego:

One problem with Wego is that the front suspension bottoms out if I am little bit fast on pot holes or humps (compared to Caliber).

Mileage, I don't know. I don't really care either. Tank capacity is only 5 litres. I remember doing full tank at 60 kms on odometer. Next I did full tank for 320 Rs at 250 kms. Now the meter is showing the tank is about half empty. I guess I am getting low mileage, but I attribute that to my style of driving (always in power mode).
Yours is a drum brake version i presume. If true then that is the reason for the suspension bottoming out. I have a disc brake version and the suspension is pretty stiff and does not bottom out unless if you hit a pothole really hard. The reason is the fork oil quantity is higher on the disc brake version compared to drum brake. This is mentioned in the user manual as well

I am getting a mileage of 41 km . This is with considerable ripping
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:09   #3033
BHPian

Has Amaron stopped offering 60 months warranty battery for Honda Activa.

I looked around & was told that only 48 months warranty battery is available & AMARON does not offer 60 months any more..
Old 27th October 2014, 16:43   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Need some help for picking a scooter for my son guys. He's a pretty big guy at 6' 2" (and still growing) and 80 kilos (of muscle and residual baby fat), so the dainty girly ones are out. He has long legs (see photos of him learning on my friend's beat up Kinetic Honda). He's 17, and needs a scooter for his classes etc. so mileage (as well as performance and handling and ride quality/comfort and sturdiness and reliability) are prime requisites.

Ones being looked at:

Honda Activa/Dio

Honda Aviator/Activa 125

TVS Jupiter/Wego

Suzuki Access 125/Swish 125 (Lets is small/girly?)

Hero Maestro

Any others?

Technically the Activa 125 has the best power and torque figures, but (1) its 7K more (than the Access/Swish with near same performance numbers) , and (2) there was a recent recall of the first/early lots because of some crankshaft issues?

Is the Dio too small for a guy his size? It looks the best of the lot (especially the new steel matte grey/black one).

Which of the above is the most fuel efficient? Which the most reliable and trouble free? Which the most fun to ride?

The Gearless Scooter Thread-img20141023wa0001.jpg

Name:  IMG20141023WA0002.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  66.7 KB

Last edited by ebonho : 27th October 2014 at 16:51.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:50   #3035
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
He's a pretty big guy at 6' 2" (and still growing) and 80 kils
I think TVS Jupiter will be the most comfortable. I've(6') ridden it and find it better than all the others you have mentioned- excluding Activa 125. Haven't driven a Activa 125 yet.

Quote:
He's 17
Buy him a scooter after he turns 18. Please don't encourage underage driving.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:55   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I think TVS Jupiter will be the most comfortable. I've(6') ridden it and find it better than all the others you have mentioned- excluding Activa 125. Haven't driven a Activa 125 yet.
How does the Wego differ from the Jupiter? Its a lot narrower at the rear (easy to cut in and out of tight traffic) and its front cowl is all metal (compared to fiber for the Jupiter). Other than that I hear they are exactly the same? Does the Wego also have better mileage? Does the Jupiter have the Body Balance as well?

Quote:
Buy him a scooter after he turns 18. Please don't encourage underage driving.
Don't the rules allow two wheeler without gears between 16 to 18? That was the entire idea of getting him a scooter now instead of waiting and trying for a bike later.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th October 2014 at 16:57.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:18   #3037
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
How does the Wego differ from the Jupiter?
A lot of components are the same, but personally I felt that the Jupiter was a tad more spacious. It has a more recessed floor board.

Quote:
Don't the rules allow two wheeler without gears between 16 to 18? That was the entire idea of getting him a scooter now instead of waiting and trying for a bike later.
I see that you live in Pune. Check the RTO website(It doesn't seem to working at the moment.)

In KA, you can get a DL for a two-wheeler less than 50 cc.

Alternately, why don't you try some electric two-wheeler?
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 17:23   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some help for picking a scooter for my son guys. He's a pretty big guy at 6' 2" (and still growing) and 80 kilos (of muscle and residual baby fat), so the dainty girly ones are out. He has long legs (see photos of him learning on my friend's beat up Kinetic Honda).
How long will the commutes be and what about the traffic on these commutes? I'm asking this because I am 6'0 and have used the Wego for around 3000kms for commutes of 20kms one way in thick traffic/fairly bad roads. Developed a lower back ache very quickly. Owing to the fact that your son is taller than me and has long legs to boot, he will not really be comfortable on scooters.

If the commute is short distances, Wego / Jupiter are good. Jupiter differs from the Wego only in the body shape and the front is not metal compared to all metal Wego. Body balance is advertised only for Wego and it really works (you will know this when cornering a little fast).

Dio though looks awesome, comes with age old trailing link arm suspension in the front which will tire the shoulders & arms fairly quickly (specially so on bad roads).

Swish is slightly more spacious/powerful than Wego/Jupiter. Have also heard that it handles awesomely well when it comes to scooter standards. Have not tried this out. FE will be lower given the bigger engine.

Once he learns to ride, better he try out the scooters for a fairly long test ride. But if he is going to turn 18 soon, rather wait and get him a bike on which he is gonna be comfortable.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 17:30   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
How long will the commutes be and what about the traffic on these commutes?
Anywhere from 5 to 20 kms one way. That's pretty much it in Pune. We are not a sprawling city. And the traffic keeps moving, never really stops of gets clogged up to a standstill.

Quote:
Dio though looks awesome, comes with age old trailing link arm suspension in the front which will tire the shoulders & arms fairly quickly (specially so on bad roads).
I know that the telescopic suspensions on the newer scooters are marketed as an improvement. But remember reading somewhere that in fact for smaller wheels, the Kinetic/Activa/Dio type suspension works actually better.

Quote:
Swish is slightly more spacious/powerful than Wego/Jupiter. Have also heard that it handles awesomely well when it comes to scooter standards. Have not tried this out. FE will be lower given the bigger engine.
I did not know this. He seems to be leaning towards the Swish and Maestro. Anything special about the Maestro besides Ranbir Kapoor?

Also heard the TVS bikes generally have better mileage than the Honda ones, and the Suzuki ones are somewhere in the middle?

Quote:
Once he learns to ride, better he try out the scooters for a fairly long test ride. But if he is going to turn 18 soon, rather wait and get him a bike on which he is gonna be comfortable.
He's a bit scared after popping a wheelie and dropping both of us on my Duke 200 some time back when I was trying to teach him .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I see that you live in Pune. Check the RTO website(It doesn't seem to working at the moment.)
"The driving license is issued to a citizen of 16 years of age and above(for a non-gear vehicle)and 18 years and above (for a geared vehicle)."

http://ekikrat.in/Driving-License-Pune

There is a reason why Pune as a city has the highest two wheeler (and esp. ungeared scooter) population in Asia. Besides the fact that we have virtually non existent mass public transport.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th October 2014 at 17:47.
Old 27th October 2014, 18:40   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anywhere from 5 to 20 kms one way. That's pretty much it in Pune. We are not a sprawling city. And the traffic keeps moving, never really stops of gets clogged up to a standstill.
Moving traffic should not pose an issue and good roads will help. Pot holed roads will add to the back pain since he is tall.

Quote:
I know that the telescopic suspensions on the newer scooters are marketed as an improvement. But remember reading somewhere that in fact for smaller wheels, the Kinetic/Activa/Dio type suspension works actually better.
Personal experience of owning the Dio in 2009 which wife used for nearly 16k kms and is now using the Yamaha Ray. Telescopic suspension helps in reducing the fatigue of the arms/shoulders in city commutes/bad roads. Maybe the handlebar geometry also comes in to play but she finds the Ray more comfortable over the same distance/roads that she used to take in the Dio.

Quote:
I did not know this. He seems to be leaning towards the Swish and Maestro. Anything special about the Maestro besides Ranbir Kapoor?
Maestro is again a spacious scooter with the Activa 110 engine and except for gizmos, its almost same as Activa underneath. But I am not too sure of handling though since I have never used one so far. Tech specs wise, its an Activa with Hero Motors clothing.

Quote:
Also heard the TVS bikes generally have better mileage than the Honda ones, and the Suzuki ones are somewhere in the middle?
Old Honda Dio, TVS Wego & a Yamaha Ray are the vehicles that are in the family currently. Dio which has run 23k kms returns around 32-35kmpl based on who is riding it and how it is used. The new HET jazz of the Honda might yield better mileage. Not sure of this. TVS Wego which has run 8k kms constantly returns 45-46kmpl no matter who rides it. Ripping it returns 41kmpl. Yamaha ray is relatively new with just 2000 kms returns 41kmpl with sane riding while ripping it renders the mileage to 35-38kmpl region. No experience with the Suzuki scooters though a few acquaintances who own the Access have quoted mileage in the region of 30-35kmpl.

Quote:
He's a bit scared after popping a wheelie and dropping both of us on my Duke 200 some time back when I was trying to teach him .....

One more try and he should be able to get it!! Maybe on a lower cc bike to boost his confidence and lower the possibility of popping a wheelie.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 27th October 2014 at 18:42.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:17   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maestro is again a spacious scooter with the Activa 110 engine and except for gizmos, its almost same as Activa underneath. But I am not too sure of handling though since I have never used one so far. Tech specs wise, its an Activa with Hero Motors clothing.
There is hardly a few hundred bucks difference in price (with the Activa). So it must sell over the Activa for something else. Looks maybe (the Activa in spite of being the oldest, still looks more elegant than other "uncle" scooters, like the Access for instance).

Quote:
Old Honda Dio, TVS Wego & a Yamaha Ray are the vehicles that are in the family currently. Dio which has run 23k kms returns around 32-35kmpl based on who is riding it and how it is used. The new HET jazz of the Honda might yield better mileage. Not sure of this. TVS Wego which has run 8k kms constantly returns 45-46kmpl no matter who rides it. Ripping it returns 41kmpl. Yamaha ray is relatively new with just 2000 kms returns 41kmpl with sane riding while ripping it renders the mileage to 35-38kmpl region. No experience with the Suzuki scooters though a few acquaintances who own the Access have quoted mileage in the region of 30-35kmpl.
Thanks. So you confirm that the TVS scooters rule the mileage stakes. Even I heard that HET is supposed to increase mileage by as much as 10-15 kmpl. I am skeptical, to put it mildly. Unless someone can confirm from real life experience. Most Honda scooters give 30-35 from what I hear.

How is the Yamaha. Too small, cramped? Too low (GC)? Low mileage?

Quote:
One more try and he should be able to get it!! Maybe on a lower cc bike to boost his confidence and lower the possibility of popping a wheelie.
Maybe later. He needs to be mobile now. The auto fares are killing my pocket.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th October 2014 at 11:18.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:29   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Yamaha. Too small, cramped? Too low (GC)? Low mileage?
GC is not a problem and a 2000kms run Yamaha Ray Z returns a constant 40kmpl when used by my wife. Her runs are usually 5-7kms max every day. Considering the stop and start multiple times over short distances the mileage is good. But it is cramped & feels small for tall guys. Not that it might matter but the under seat storage is very less. It cannot hold a full face helmet.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:34   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GC is not a problem and a 2000kms run Yamaha Ray Z returns a constant 40kmpl when used by my wife. Her runs are usually 5-7kms max every day. Considering the stop and start multiple times over short distances the mileage is good. But it is cramped & feels small for tall guys. Not that it might matter but the under seat storage is very less. It cannot hold a full face helmet.
Is the new Dio better than the Activa? Someone who owns one (old one) told me its quicker and more fuel efficient and cheaper to own as its body panels are all fiber (compared to all metal in the Activa).
Old 28th October 2014, 11:51   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If this condition isnt met, the warranty will be void which I personally wouldnt want to risk.
Quote:
Is the new Dio better than the Activa? Someone who owns one (old one) told me its quicker and more fuel efficient and cheaper to own as its body panels are all fiber (compared to all metal in the Activa).
Quoting an old post of fellow member audioholic to get his attention since he owns the new Dio. Fundamentally, from a longevity perspective, all fiber is better as it does not rust, will be easier to handle and due to lighter weight, will give you a better FE. But the downside is that the fiber body panels tend to start creaking and rattling with age (at least on the 2009 dio in the family, it started to creak and cringe 3 years into the ownership. Carefully used and cared for by wife during this time), in the event of a shunt, the body panel breaks and you end up replacing the whole part.

Audioholic might also be able to help you with regards to real world mileage since his Dio is the new one with HET in it.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:26   #3045
BHPian

IMHO the only scooter that is appropriate for your son (6+) is the Aviator. I have ridden it a couple of times and felt it too high for my comfort, I am 5.9. The suspension is comfortable. Handling is ok, it doesn't like to be hustled through the traffic, which my 14 yrs old KH still loves to, you know what i mean. But its a good thing for your son and safe if he doesn't learn that kinda stuff.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread