Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 28th October 2014, 12:40   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Quoting an old post of fellow member audioholic to get his attention since he owns the new Dio. Fundamentally, from a longevity perspective, all fiber is better as it does not rust, will be easier to handle and due to lighter weight, will give you a better FE. But the downside is that the fiber body panels tend to start creaking and rattling with age (at least on the 2009 dio in the family, it started to creak and cringe 3 years into the ownership. Carefully used and cared for by wife during this time), in the event of a shunt, the body panel breaks and you end up replacing the whole part.

Audioholic might also be able to help you with regards to real world mileage since his Dio is the new one with HET in it.
Thanks for bringing my attention Abhinav My dio isn't the HET version as it was purchased two months before HET was introduced.

Regarding other aspects,

1. Mileage depends upon distance of commute. For a commute of 1km daily in the morning and evening, I get somewhere around 38-40kmpl. However I used to travel 25km one way for a month and that would send the FE all the way to 54-55kmpl since the roads were relatively free and the vehicle would run at speeds in excess of 60kmph. My vehicle runs on fully synthetic and serviced regularly. For those who don't maintain the vehicle well, the Fe numbers are lesser.

2. Regarding size, it is suited for taller people since I TDed the ray and dio back to back before I settled, and my legs were sticking out of the ray, and I am a tad short of 6ft.

3. Regarding construction, as Abhinav has explained, its more of a replace than repair. However, compared to some scooters like Mahindra's, the old Dio, etc both Ray and Dio have good plastic quality. Not the kind of stuff that cracks easily like before. Also compared to the old dio, this doesn't fade and turn grey. You can refer to my review of the dio for getting an idea of how the scoot ages. Also, one advantage I liked is the pricing. For 600, I got a fully painted mudguard that I simply replaced when the old one cracked up when my scoot was shunted by a bike at a good speed. No hassles of tinkering, painting, colour match and leaving the vehicle for repair. It was a half hour job.

4. However, metal body is better when you plan to abuse it by parking it in really crowded places, narrow streets etc. At least, it can take up a lot of dents and damage if you wish to do so. But if taken care of, nothing will beat plastic for its design, lightness and ease of replacement.
audioholic is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 17:04   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Technically the Activa 125 has the best power and torque figures, but (1) its 7K more (than the Access/Swish with near same performance numbers) , and (2) there was a recent recall of the first/early lots because of some crankshaft issues?
Where did you get this information ? Well, everybody is aware that there are some technical/ Manufacturing issues with the Activa 125. And Honda never allows any Search Engine to portray any negative news about it's Products.

Well, About Honda 125, the Seat Height is Lower (Maybe less than Honda 110).
It's the Aviator, which is tallest among Honda's, but it comes with 110CC. So, you're left out with only TVS Jupiter.

It might be your Personal decision, but Scooter's may look Odd for your Tall and Handsome Son.
jaaz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 17:50   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Where did you get this information ?
Where else? The Suzuki dealer!

Quote:
Well, everybody is aware that there are some technical/ Manufacturing issues with the Activa 125.
Good to have that reconfirmed. Personally, I am kind of leaning towards the Aviator or the Suzuki Swish myself.

The Suzuki Swish however does not get tubeless tyres and Maintenance Fee battery like the Access and the Lets. Getting them fitted by the dealer even with exchange brand new, would push the price up by a few thousand bucks over the others in the mix. Wonder why Suzuki did that to what is their only premium slightly sporty looking full sized scooter.

Quote:
It's the Aviator, which is tallest among Honda's, but it comes with 110CC. So, you're left out with only TVS Jupiter.
The Aviator ticks the boxes for size/height and front telescopic suspension, but with the same, the Suzuki scooters also give the bigger more peppy engine in the same cost. Also more fuel efficient from what I hear (don't know about Honda's new HET .....)

The two TVS scooters are there then, but again 110 cc only, which is the put off when you are getting 125 cc in the same price, with all the same features (GC, telescopic suspension, size, combi brakes, etc.)

Then there is the Hero Maestro, which by all accounts is a rebadged Activa, now made and sold by Hero. At 600 bucks less then, why not buy the Activa itself , or the Dio which is 2K less? I guess only the front linked suspension is the downer for these, and maybe the not-so-great mileage. The Maestro 110 cc mill though seems to have been tuned differently to the Activa's, because it puts out a little more power (a whopping 0.2 bhp ..... as a hardcore biker I do get depressed doing this research and starting such a thread).

Quote:
It might be your Personal decision, but Scooter's may look Odd for your Tall and Handsome Son.
Thanks for the compliment bro. The wife and I just got him to shave (he was looking like an ISIS fighter prior .....). Now am waiting for the sun to rise from the north before he cuts his hair .....
Old 29th October 2014, 18:25   #3049
BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Looking out for a scooter which will replace my bike.

I mostly use the car during weekdays and bike for weekend errands.

My priorities are:

# 1: Ride quality - (Easy on my back, shoulders)
# 2: Highly reliable - push button start
# 3: Easy to handle - (center stand)
# 4: Not so tall (esp for pillion)

Not concerned about FE and budget is less than 75 K.

What bikes to avoid and what are the top picks, why?
Old 29th October 2014, 19:10   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Looking out for a scooter which will replace my bike.

I mostly use the car during weekdays and bike for weekend errands.

My priorities are:

# 1: Ride quality - (Easy on my back, shoulders)
# 2: Highly reliable - push button start
# 3: Easy to handle - (center stand)
# 4: Not so tall (esp for pillion)

Not concerned about FE and budget is less than 75 K.

Test Ride the Wego, Access, Lets, Jupiter and Ray and decide amongst them the one which suits your requirement the best.
I am not a Honda fan, so have left it out, but you may want to check them too.
One primary thing to keep in mind is the distance from your place to the nearest service center.
Old 29th October 2014, 19:15   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Browsing the same thread a few pages back should cover most of your queries. The why to avoid and the top picks are all covered in these discussions!!

EDIT: Dass has given you a good starting point!!
Old 30th October 2014, 11:34   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Test Ride the Wego, Access, Lets, Jupiter and Ray and decide amongst them the one which suits your requirement the best.
I was surprised to see that the Lets inspite of being a 110 cc engine is tuned for marginally more power (at higher revs) than its 125 cc stablemates, Access and Swish. 8.7 bhp vs 8.58 bhp. Pretty high torque figures too (again at higher revs, which is expected as its a smaller motor). Class standard 9.1 Nm to class leading 9.8 Nm of Access/Swish (the Activa 125 is the torque top dog now at 10.1 Nm).

An while its targeted at girls, the Lets in terms of dimensions has the exact same wheelbase as the Access/Swish. Also, it gets the MF batery and the tubeless tyres that the Swish does not.

And the kicker is the price. Of all the scoooters, this one is just a bit above 50K!

So my obvious question is, how is the Lets as a scooter overall. Would it be too small for a 6' 2" guy (versus a petite Alia Bhatt for example .....)
Old 30th October 2014, 11:48   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So my obvious question is, how is the Lets as a scooter overall. Would it be too small for a 6' 2" guy (versus a petite Alia Bhatt for example .....)
You had to bring Alia Bhatt into the picture, did you

I think lets as a scooter for a 6' 2" guy would look a little small. I believe the Honda Avaitor is the best for taller people, along with may be Jupiter. But then again, test ride all and chose the one which best fits.

OT - With Alia Bhatt, she is already on the Pleasure so may not have time for let's
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 11:53   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
You had to bring Alia Bhatt into the picture, did you

OT - With Alia Bhatt, she is already on the Pleasure so may not have time for let's
Ok, so I got the ladies mixed up.

What is Anushka on?

Just checked. Lets is Parineeti Chopra. So good suspension at the very least .....
Old 30th October 2014, 12:16   #3055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For such a tall guy, nothing less than a Bullet will do. Not sure why you are even considering scooters.
Old 30th October 2014, 12:41   #3056
Senior - BHPian

The reason is in one of the earlier post about his son getting scared after he popped a wheelie on the duke when trying to learn riding it and falling down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
For such a tall guy, nothing less than a Bullet will do. Not sure why you are even considering scooters.
Old 30th October 2014, 14:55   #3057
Senior - BHPian

I booked a TVS Wego on the 14th Oct. Yet to get delivery. Full Money paid. Dealer says due to the Mumbai Elections and Diwali Holidays, the RTO staff is on leave and hence the delay as i was initially suppossed to get delivery on 25th Oct. My friend purchased a Jupiter from the same place last month without any issues. I just got an SMS from the RTO today confirming the Regn and Chassis Number. Hope to get delivery by Saturday. Will post my initial experience once i get it. Have only used Activa, Dio and Nova till date in the gearless scooter so my comparison will be against these.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:44   #3058
BHPian

We too have an Aviator. My father uses it . It is definitely slightly larger & higher than Activa. I am short and I don't feel very confident riding it, while I am at ease on the activa.
So Aviator should be fine for him. I have seen lots of kids similar to his build on Aviators here.
The problems are - All fiber body. If it falls, a panel will crack or break. We thought that adding those metal guards sold at the showroom would protect it but, that results in the panel breaking / cracking near the screws.
The front wheel is larger ie 12 inch and the rear is 10 inch. But, this will matter only if you are considering a stepney.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 19:48   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Default 750KM and 1st Service update of TVS Wego

Our Wego completed 750 kms in one month . Gave it for service last week .Just the oil change was done and bill came to 260 Rupees.

The smoothness has increased a wee bit because of oil change. Other than that no perceivable change. Continues to give a little over 40 KMPL. I am not complaining since its my mother who uses it daily and rides a max of 10 kms a day. Disc brakes are spongy and lack the sharpness and good for lady riders . Will prevent accidental lockup. Nevertheless offer a much better stopping power compared to the drum brakes which are inadequate. Well worth the 4K extra i paid. I would suggest people looking for wego to give a the disc brake version the first look .

A complete detailing is pending. Red will look hot after detailing .
Old 30th October 2014, 22:16   #3060
BHPian

Default Re: 750KM and 1st Service update of TVS Wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Disc brakes are spongy and lack the sharpness and good for lady riders.
That's a blatantly sexist statement, sagarpadaki, and on a forum that places so much emphasis on much less offensive things like 'SMS language', I'd be disappointed if it were allowed to stay unmodded.

If my sister (who currently rides a Vespa and a Scooty pretty darn expertly) read something like that, she'd be livid, and rightly so.
Closed Thread