Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 30th October 2014, 22:37   #3061
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 750KM and 1st Service update of TVS Wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
That's a blatantly sexist statement, sagarpadaki, and on a forum that places so much emphasis on much less offensive things like 'SMS language', I'd be disappointed if it were allowed to stay unmodded.

If my sister (who currently rides a Vespa and a Scooty pretty darn expertly) read something like that, she'd be livid, and rightly so.
Chill man! I guess you're going overboard with a small comment like that. I appreciate your sisters skills, and lets exclude a few well skilled women riders from the discussion.

Sagarpadaki had logic in what he said. Women have this habit of panicking and slamming the brakes hard in an emergency situation. In either case it would be dangerous, thus losing control in no time. Of all my female friends, I can only point to one girl who knows her ride well. Hence, its just a general statement. We should look at the technical aspects here rather than social issues.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th October 2014 at 22:38.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:51   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a blatantly sexist statement, sagarpadaki, and on a forum that places so much emphasis on much less offensive things like 'SMS language', I'd be disappointed if it were allowed to stay unmodded.

If my sister (who currently rides a Vespa and a Scooty pretty darn expertly) read something like that, she'd be livid, and rightly so.
Definitely not sexist. I have seen few ladies who lock up the front brakes under panic. So that's why I mentioned it. Some, like your sister, may be expert riders but majority are not and my mother is not an expert rider at all. Hence the statement. I don't think it warrants such acerbic reaction.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:53   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Chill man! I guess you're going overboard with a small comment like that. I appreciate your sisters skills, and lets exclude a few well skilled women riders from the discussion.

Sagarpadaki had logic in what he said. Women have this habit of panicking and slamming the brakes hard in an emergency situation. In either case it would be dangerous, thus losing control in no time. Of all my female friends, I can only point to one girl who knows her ride well. Hence, its just a general statement. We should look at the technical aspects here rather than social issues.
Don't worry, I'm not angry - just disappointed. It is hard to become angry at something that most people do not even acknowledge as a serious form of active discrimination.

There is nothing technical whatsoever in claiming that spongy brakes are well suited to women riders, or in claiming that women don't know to brake correctly - there is only assumption, and tarring of an entire gender with the same, misinformed brush.

Many here may not know many women with riding skills. That is your loss, and does not give anybody the right to dismiss the riding skills of women in entirety. Just as an example, both of my friends from Delhi have dropped their Pulsars by braking like idiots while turning on loose gravel. Does that give me the right to claim that bikes with spongy brakes are well suited to riders from Delhi? Just because I only know the two of them does not make every rider from Delhi an incompetent rider.

The technical statement would have been "suitable for poor riders who are used to panic braking". Male, female, what difference does it make?

Again, I'm not trying to attack anybody. Nor am I surprised by the existence of a sexist attitude in biking circles - this is, after all, seen as one of the last predominantly male preserves in our country. I'm just surprised that on a forum like Team-BHP, which goes to such lengths as to frown on SMS language as undesirable or to edit dots from a post (even going to the extent of editing them when they are used perfectly grammatically correctly) in the name of keeping up the quality of the forum would allow outright, unhidden sexism stated as fact.

At the very least, it is hypocritical. And if the mods are OK with it, they need to take a good, long look in the mirror before modding another post or handing out another infraction.

Apologies for going OT - not my intention to attack anybody, but if it is wrong, it is wrong, and I was taught to stand up for what I believe is right, regardless of the forum. I practice that principle when I defend biking to the death against all critics who dismiss us as insane juveniles with a death wish. It is no different here.
Silverflash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 09:34   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

If the arguments about what's sexist and what is not is over, I will continue with my review of Wego

Now a days I ride it frequently to office, which is 20 kms away from home. Being well-versed with motorcycle and car, I see these shortcomings in Wego:
- fuel tank is too small. At 5 litres, I can make only 5 trips to office and back with one full tank. It's quite annoying to visit petrol bunk every week
- ground clearance. I feel it is less for Bangalore roads. On my way to office, I come across two concrete walls built across the road (note: any structure with width lesser than height is a wall in my books). Many a times, the bottom of the scooter scrapes them. I hope it is only the centre stand that scrapes, and it won't affect the scooter in the long run.
- "pass" button. My bike, Caliber, has this button which I can operate with my left index finger. It momentarily puts the headlight on high beam, as long as the button is kept pressed (like in cars). This is so useful while overtaking slow moving long trucks that I frequently come across near my house.
- tachometer. I guess it is just a nice-to-have feature.
- 12v socket inside the boot. If it were somewhere near key hole, I could have used a dashboard camera!

Note that I have already shared the positives of Wego in an older post in this thread.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:21   #3065
Senior - BHPian

As a brother of a sister (who rides a Pleasure), son of a mother, husband of a wife, and father of two very headstrong and independent girls, I would go out on a limb here and say, yes, there are some women who can drive. Yes, there are many girls/women especially in Pune who on their scooters give a tough fight to many guys on bikes (and are the terror of many car drivers like me, with their taliban style headscarves with invisible style goggles perched in the eye gap and arm length white coton gloves), BUT ......

By and large, the two sexes do do things differently.

They are wired differently.

They excel at some things more than the opposite gender.

They also suck at some things more than the opposite gender.

I am a pretty opinionated motorist when driving (while riding I am just plain aggressive and smooth), and I don't know if I have been blessed by this special human radar BUT .....

I can recognize a woman driver before I see her.

Period. And my daughters were at first surprized, and now amused, by my hit record in nearly cent percent correct judgements from behind before I pass such and we all look sideways to check.

Its a little family game.

P.S. My wife (who is specially talented in backing a car .....) just rolls here eys and plays along. And then its either cold or burnt food at home for dinner (or an abundance of cooked foliage with no sight of animal protein) .....

As I said, both sexes do some things really well. And have their own special talents.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st October 2014 at 11:28.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:30   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Just as an example, both of my friends from Delhi have dropped their Pulsars by braking like idiots while turning on loose gravel.
How should one tackle loose gravel? On scooters, the tires are quite thin and even at slow speeds, I have noticed some amount of slippage.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:33   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How should one tackle loose gravel? On scooters, the tires are quite thin and even at slow speeds, I have noticed some amount of slippage.
By being as upright as possible, and smooth with steering and brake inputs (and staying light if not off of the front brake). Almost the same theory applies for oil as well as black ice also incidentally, though a quick prayer is also an added suggested advantage.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st October 2014 at 11:35.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:11   #3068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thin tires on the scooter? Have you seen the tires on some of these commuter bikes? they probably are as thick as some of the modern bicycles.

Either ways, on loose gravel, what I do is try not to brake if I can, and ride very slowly over them and I DO NOT hesitate to put my feet down if I think I am loosing balance. Keeping feet down is looked at as a Ego issue and for me, a bruised Ego is much better than a bruised knee or elbow. If I have to brake, then usually both brakes together with a lot more pressure on the back one compared to the front one. Has mostly helped me.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 14:46   #3069
BHPian

Quote:
I have been riding 2-wheelers for at least 12 years now. The best way to tackle gravel is to slow down much before you hit it and then go through slowly - this way your balance is much better and you have ample time to let your reflexes work and put your foot down.

Another very important thing, as far as possible, keep the handle straight i.e. don't try turning in the gravel if possible - do it before or after. If not possible, do it at a very slow speed with foot down for sure.

The problem with gravel / sand, if you brake while you are on it, you tend to generate some wheelspin, which leads to the gravel moving from its place, in effect 'your ground has moved from below your feet!!!' - losing traction and increasing your probability of falling. The same is the impact if you turn your handle in the gravel trying to turn.

As far as tyre thickness goes, scooters are not much narrower than most commuter bikes. I think the smaller radius of the tyre (therefore lesser surface area in contact with the road) that make it more difficult to balance.
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 16:45   #3070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Thin tires on the scooter? Have you seen the tires on some of these commuter bikes? they probably are as thick as some of the modern bicycles.
To me, tires should be like this set:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/pr...ssocorsatyres/
Old 31st October 2014, 20:58   #3071
BHPian

The problem with scooter tyres for me is not the width, it is the radius of the wheel. While it does not bother me much in normal conditions, I'm always watchful when on wet roads, and stay slower than I think is necessary.

I think it may have something to do with a smaller wheel having to perform more revolutions at the same speed as a larger wheel. Whatever the reason, I find almost all scooters squiggly in the wet, and generally not reassuring.

As for braking on gravel - as far as possible, don't. Slow down earlier and coast through it, steady throttle. If it comes up on you unanticipated, straighten up before even touching the brakes. Then brake, gently, bias towards rear brake if not confident of holding the front steady.
Old 5th November 2014, 13:38   #3072
BHPian

Recently I was riding my scooter with a pillon and realized that one additional reason for wheelspin in gravel could be that a scooter's engine (and therefore most of the weight) is mounted almost vertically over the rear wheel, creating higher gravitational pull on the rear wheel, which also happens to be the one powered by the engine.
The weight pushing it down and engine rotating the wheel means a scooter is that much more prone to getting stuck.

In a bike, the engine is mounted in the middle of the 2 wheels and rear wheel (the one powered by the engine) has relatively lesser weight pressure on it. Moreover, a bike engine is not mounted at a level higher than the wheel, therefore is at a lower level of gravity which means lesser load on the wheels.

An easy corollary to understand - carrying a bag / suitcase in your hand is easier and less tiring than carrying it on your head.
Old 6th November 2014, 16:04   #3073
Senior - BHPian

My White Wego Drum Brake Version came on Saturday, 1st Nov and i have clocked around 80kms till now. My initial impressions on the Wego.

Ride Quality - Simply better than the Hondas
Saddle Comfort - Very Good
Weight / Balance - Easy to manouevre
Drum Brakes - Inadequate compared to the Hondas
Mirrors - Totally Inadequate
Digital Speedomter - Nice but i prefer Analogue
Headlights - Good enough for city usage
Tail Lights - Good. Brake Light is LED
Under Seat Storage - Takes a full size helmet, has a optional mobile charging point
Front Storage - Flimsy lockable cover, can keep rag cloth / small bottle.
Petrol Lid can be unlocked from outside. Will have to wait till monsoon to see if water will seep in.
Switchgear quality is decent. Pass Switch wouldve been good to have.
Pickup - Good though i have been keeping it below 50kmph as advised.
Alloy wheels with tubeless tyres seem to offer decent grip.

Overall i find it good. I am 5'10 and find it perfect for quick local commutes. On the first day itself i drove around 50kms in heavy traffic and also on open roads. It was a breeze to handle the Wego. Digital Speedo has a blue backlight which stays on even during the day. Reading the speed is a tad difficult (just not used to it). It also has a trip meter. There is the usual Eco / Power Mode indicator. The moment you gun it, the green eco mode light will move over to the orange power mode light. If you are waiting at a signal, after a few seconds the power mode orange light will come on. This is a feature that TVS has incorporated to highlight that you are stationery for more than the stipulated time and can switch off the engine.

After riding the Activas / Dios and the Kinetic Nova, i would definitely recommend the Wego for its superb ride quality (your spine will not trouble you). Go for the Disc Brake Version which is just 2k more. I wanted to get it sooner hence chose the drum brake version. I hope i have covered most of the things that one would look at in the initial review.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:07   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Petrol Lid can be unlocked from outside. Will have to wait till monsoon to see if water will seep in.
As the owner of a 8000+ kms run Wego, I can assure you that the water does not seep in after it has seen 2 monsoons and rides in heavy rains over distances ranging from 5kms to 25kms.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:36   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Raj,

Congrats on the Wego.

Regarding the petrol refuel lid, is the lock strong enough or might give away if strongly forced. The reason for asking is have seen one incident in a mall in Thane when the poor chap owning a Wego had found the fuel lid open and he was like But having a refuel option outside is a boon esp at the bunks.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread