Closed Thread

Old 6th November 2014, 17:00   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Raj,

Congrats on the Wego.

Regarding the petrol refuel lid, is the lock strong enough or might give away if strongly forced. The reason for asking is have seen one incident in a mall in Thane when the poor chap owning a Wego had found the fuel lid open and he was like But having a refuel option outside is a boon esp at the bunks.
Thanks Girish Bhai, I shall keep a duct tape in the storage, just in case something like what you mention happens to me
Old 6th November 2014, 17:22   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Purchased brake lever for my Access yesterday for the right side. Rs. 140 for the original one - quite expensive for the small piece of metal.

Now, I am seriously looking for a headlamp bulb change.
Which bulb do I need to buy? I could find a Bosch bulb for Rs. 82 (35W)?
Old 6th November 2014, 21:39   #3078
BHPian

Finally, after months and months of deliberation, picked up a TVS Jupiter on Dhanteras. Picked up the matte-gray shade. There was no waiting period. The showroom experience was pleasant.

This was meant to be used for odd weekend jobs and for an occasional commute to-from work. The first service is due in a month from purchase (hardly 15 more days left) which I think is ridiculously early. However this I think is very important when they replace the engine oil. I was warned by a friend that if my running is not much, they may not replace the oil (though they may claim that the oil change was done). This prompted me to use this daily for the last week and half (was raining prior to that in BLR almost daily) for my daily office commute.

Observations

1. Have done 220 kms so far (targeting at least 350 km before the first service).

2. Did my first tankful yesterday. Decent mileage. Gave me around 48.xx kmpl. Should improve post first service perhaps.

3. Coming from my poorly-maintained Kinetic Honda, the headlights of the Jupiter is in a different league. Fantastic lighting of the road ahead.

4. Engine is smooth, but perhaps not as smooth as Honda? Could be in my mind or perhaps things could change post the first service.

5. Pickup is decent. Trying to stick to the 50km limit during the running-in period, but very difficult to do so specially when riding on ORR.

6. Ride was initially bumpy. Figured out it was the over-inflated tyres. All petrol bunks tend to fill air as 26psi/36psi for front/back tyres when the recommended is 24psi/28psi for single rider. Got it as per recommended specs and the ride has evened out.

7. Handles well. Feel assured when riding. Perhaps it is the 12-inch tyres that make the difference.

8. The low-fuel indicator comes in very early.

9. The under-seat storage fits my open-face helmet, just about. Need to get a full-face one, but not sure if it will fit in there.

10. The storage hook below the seat is flimsy and seems like a joke compared to one on the Activa.

11. This is my first-ever new vehicle (excluding a bicycle which i purchased but never used). My Kinetic earlier and all cars owned till date have been pre-owned.

So far so good.

Last edited by sachinayak : 6th November 2014 at 21:41.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:27   #3079
BHPian

Unhappy Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Dear BHPians,

Please help me with my request.

I have a 16k run Kinetic Flyte, 2007 Model and it badly needs a service from a Good/knowledgeable/Honest Mechanic.

Current Problems
-Mileage of 24-26kmpl
-Engine shutoff while idling
-reduced pickup and increase in harshness of Engine lately ( say 500 kms)
-Judder while starting

I stay near Kanaka Nagar, SultanPalya and the current Road side Mechanics I see are not doing the least of the jobs I expect.

The last time I went to mechanic and asked him to do a carburettor clean-up and tuning, he simple adjusted the air screw and said its done! On the question of low mileage , I was told the vehicle is at fault and all scooters after 12000 kms will get a drop in mileage for lifetime.

I simply kept quite and went ahead with the oil change and brake shoe change with him.

Now I have shortlisted the following
-Oil Filter Change
-Engine Oil change to Synthetic one (Shell/Mobil/PETRONAS - please advise)
-Carburettor servicing and correct tuning-most important
-Gear Box Oil Change
-Air Filter Change
-Front Brake shoe Change
-Checking the Cables for wear and Tear and replace if necessary
-Spark Plug change
-Front and Rear Wheel Bearings Change
-CVT Belt Drive replacement since I experience the initial judder
-any other points to be noted and taken care of??

The above points I mentioned are to be done by a competent mechanic. Please help me with a good guy who can do this job. I prefer staying with the mechanic while he undertakes these jobs. Any mechanic near RT Nagar, Ganga Nagar, Veeranapalya is also OK.

Kind Regards to you all
TorqMaster
Old 12th November 2014, 12:55   #3080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Current Problems
-Mileage of 24-26kmpl
-Judder while starting
I rode a new Flyte a few years back with just 6k km on the odo, and all these problems other than mileage was present in that one too. Sadly, there was a shortage of service centers and spare parts for this scooter which made the owner scrap the vehicle.

Quote:

-Mileage of 24-26kmpl
-Judder while starting

Now I have shortlisted the following
-Oil Filter Change
-Engine Oil change to Synthetic one (Shell/Mobil/PETRONAS - please advise)
-Carburettor servicing and correct tuning-most important
-Gear Box Oil Change
-Air Filter Change
-Front Brake shoe Change
-Checking the Cables for wear and Tear and replace if necessary
-Spark Plug change
-Front and Rear Wheel Bearings Change
-CVT Belt Drive replacement since I experience the initial judder
-any other points to be noted and taken care of??
Start from the basics of changing engine oil to the right grade and right quantity - Quantity matters since I had filled in 0.8L of oil in my Dio instead of 0.7L and the engine became so rough on revving that I was shocked. Removed some oil and the difference in smoothness was huge. So check what is the right quantity of oil to be filled.

Next step to a smooth engine is the spark plug. The right plug with the right gap. Again we require precision which some mechanics substitute with their own knowledge and set wrong gaps. Again, I had experienced this after a service when the gap wasnt set properly. The engine used to shudder when the vehicle was loaded. Had to get the gap set according to what is specified by honda, ie 0.8mm. It was 1.1mm before.

Next is a proper tune up of the carburettor. Again had experienced this. As per my mechanic the guys at bosch service had leaned out the mixture. He set it and I could feel the difference in smoothness. Basically, after a service my vehicle was ruined of the smoothness which I took a couple of days to fix it. Hence shared my experience.

Regarding synthetic oil, I have been using shell advance ultra from a long time, since I brought the Dio and I have had a good experience with it, but again if the problem is due to something else then it wont help in making the engine smoother. Moreover, it will make a sea of change only if the previous oil is really bad or is not sufficient in quantity. However, if you have recently changed the oil, it will rarely make a difference, I have changed synthetic oil thrice till date and I have never felt a difference after the change since the previous oil was also the same and I strictly change the oil within 2.5k kms.

Also do change the air filter and fuel strainer if it hasnt been changed before.

Not all road side mechanics are really skilled. While some are very experienced and can solve most of the problems, others just try doing it and fleece you of some money. Since I have a Bajaj wave, which has a similar issue of non availablity of mechanics and spare parts, I could judge the difference between two mechanics by the work they did on the scoot.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 13:00   #3081
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
it badly needs a service from a Good/knowledgeable/Honest Mechanic.
Wouldn't getting it serviced from an authorized Mahindra workshop help?

Why not show it to Mahindra workshop, get an estimate and cross check if it at par with mechanic service cost.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:21   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
..I stay near Kanaka Nagar, SultanPalya and the current Road side Mechanics I see are not doing the least of the jobs I expect.
You are lucky, there is a good n old authorised workshop if you haven't known till now, it is Motoland on Dinnur main road, the owner is Mr. Rakesh, very nice guy. I have been getting my KH Y2K serviced from 2002 and he is the real reason why i still have this 14 year old KH lovingly with me. He has home pick-up too.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th November 2014 at 16:41.
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 14:50   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Wouldn't getting it serviced from an authorized Mahindra workshop help?

Why not show it to Mahindra workshop, get an estimate and cross check if it at par with mechanic service cost.
I could do that, but I have never had a good experience with ASC right from Tata to RE to Ford to Honda.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:53   #3084
BHPian

Talking Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You are lucky, there is a good n old authorised workshop if you haven't known till now, it is Motoland on Dinnur main road, the owner is Mr. Rakesh, very nice guy. I have been getting my KH Y2K serviced from 2002 and he is the real reason why i still have this 14 year old KH lovingly with me. He has home pick-up too.
Thank you very much!

Does he have a number where I can call? I am hoping to meet him and give a list of all that needs to be done if he is confident of setting the carburettor and the spark plug clearances
Old 12th November 2014, 14:55   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I rode a new Flyte a few years back with just 6k km on the odo, and all these problems other than mileage was present in that one too. Sadly, there was a shortage of service centers and spare parts for this scooter which made the owner scrap the vehicle.

Start from the basics of changing engine oil to the right grade and right quantity - Quantity matters since I had filled in 0.8L of oil in my Dio instead of 0.7L and the engine became so rough on revving that I was shocked. Removed some oil and the difference in smoothness was huge. So check what is the right quantity of oil to be filled.

Next step to a smooth engine is the spark plug. The right plug with the right gap. Again we require precision which some mechanics substitute with their own knowledge and set wrong gaps. Again, I had experienced this after a service when the gap wasnt set properly. The engine used to shudder when the vehicle was loaded. Had to get the gap set according to what is specified by honda, ie 0.8mm. It was 1.1mm before.

Next is a proper tune up of the carburettor. Again had experienced this. As per my mechanic the guys at bosch service had leaned out the mixture. He set it and I could feel the difference in smoothness. Basically, after a service my vehicle was ruined of the smoothness which I took a couple of days to fix it. Hence shared my experience.

Regarding synthetic oil, I have been using shell advance ultra from a long time, since I brought the Dio and I have had a good experience with it, but again if the problem is due to something else then it wont help in making the engine smoother. Moreover, it will make a sea of change only if the previous oil is really bad or is not sufficient in quantity. However, if you have recently changed the oil, it will rarely make a difference, I have changed synthetic oil thrice till date and I have never felt a difference after the change since the previous oil was also the same and I strictly change the oil within 2.5k kms.

Also do change the air filter and fuel strainer if it hasnt been changed before.

Not all road side mechanics are really skilled. While some are very experienced and can solve most of the problems, others just try doing it and fleece you of some money. Since I have a Bajaj wave, which has a similar issue of non availablity of mechanics and spare parts, I could judge the difference between two mechanics by the work they did on the scoot.
Thank you very much !!
I have noted all you have mentioned and will be helpful to gauge the Mech's work based on these.

Regards

NOTE TO MODS: Please merge my three posts above. I forgot to use the multi quote button. Sorry :(

Last edited by TorqMaster : 12th November 2014 at 14:58. Reason: addding note to mods..
Old 12th November 2014, 15:10   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much!

Does he have a number where I can call? I am hoping to meet him and give a list of all that needs to be done if he is confident of setting the carburettor and the spark plug clearances
Sent you a PM of his details.
Old 14th November 2014, 16:48   #3087
Senior - BHPian

I am about to put money down on a Wego (disc brake version). I am just wondering if TVS has any plans of making the Wego a 125cc any time soon? If so, I will either wait or head to Suzuki.
They already have one too many scooters with the same 110cc engine, I think. And a neat 125cc engine in the phoenix.
Old 14th November 2014, 17:40   #3088
BHPian

I got my Aviator serviced at Mirajkar bike point @ dange chowk pune. the owner is always available there, he himself test drives the vehicle before taking it for servicing.
I find him really good, Pune guys living near dange chowk can get their vehicle serviced there.
Old 15th November 2014, 12:47   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I am about to put money down on a Wego (disc brake version). I am just wondering if TVS has any plans of making the Wego a 125cc any time soon? If so, I will either wait or head to Suzuki.
They already have one too many scooters with the same 110cc engine, I think. And a neat 125cc engine in the phoenix.
I think there are only 2 scooters with the same engine, Wego and Jupitor. The scooty engine is not the same, its different and behaves differently too.

P
Old 16th November 2014, 17:48   #3090
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I just sold off my Honda Activa 2011 model and in the market for a new scooter. I am not inclined to specific brand but in for a good scooter to be used by me and my wife. Anybody aware of new launches post December or early 2015. Did the mistake last time I bought my Activa in Dec last week and saw few launches in early 2012. So just in two minds if its worth to wait or put my money on existing models. Please advice.
Closed Thread