Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 17th November 2014, 08:34   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
I just sold off my Honda Activa 2011 model and in the market for a new scooter. I am not inclined to specific brand but in for a good scooter to be used by me and my wife. Anybody aware of new launches post December or early 2015. Did the mistake last time I bought my Activa in Dec last week and saw few launches in early 2012. So just in two minds if its worth to wait or put my money on existing models. Please advice.
Any particular reason for selling off the Activa?
New scooters which may be launched in the coming days are Hero Dare, Vespa Fly 125. Both are 125cc scooters.
You can also have a look at the recently launched scooters such as Mahindra Gusto, Suzuki Lets, TVS Jest.
Old 17th November 2014, 09:39   #3092
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Some how had a bad experience with Activa from Day 1. The service was so pathetic had to switch over to a local mechanic even within the free service period. Finally felt like giving it away rather than to live with it. I am thinking of TVS Jupiter or Suzuki Swish. Wife is inclined towards Honda DIO. I am little wary about Honda. I just visited Honda showroom and had a bad experience with their attitude and they even dint care to ask me to be seated and when I would like to book the vehicle. They bluntly told me to pay the booking amount and they will reach me back after a month and let me know when I will get my scooter.
Old 17th November 2014, 15:58   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I think there are only 2 scooters with the same engine, Wego and Jupitor. The scooty engine is not the same, its different and behaves differently too.
P
He is probably referring to the Scooty Zest which comes with the Wego 110cc engine.
Old 17th November 2014, 16:22   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
He is probably referring to the Scooty Zest which comes with the Wego 110cc engine.
Yes, I am indeed referring to the Scooty Zest. 3 products, same engine - Wego, Jupiter, Scooty Zest
Old 17th November 2014, 16:49   #3095
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Last weekend my Activa completed 10K kms on the odo. Also regular scheduled servicing was done. This time opted for an AMC for 2 yrs and 4 services which means I now need to get the Activa serviced once a 6 months. I am Ok with this since the running of the scooter has considerably dropped over the last year or so. Is my decision correct or I should still get the Activa serviced every quarter? Also for the 6 month servicing interval, is oil changing required during every service? I anyways have to pay for the consumables with peanut discounts in labour and parts.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:23   #3096
BHPian

Went for a test Drive of TVS Jupiter and was impressed with it. Dint think much as I was in urgent need of a scooter, Paid in Cash and booked it.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:37   #3097
BHPian

Just had a test drive of TVS Jupiter. Pickup is good for the initial part but mid range is not strong. Maybe I have gotten used to 150cc bikes (Fiero/GS150R) and my expectations are a bit higher. I am a lot on the heavier side and that might be a factor too. The ride is nice owing to the telescopic suspension at front and gas suspension at rear.

The scooter seems vibe free. Big on space and features too. Was offered 3 years extended warranty for additional Rs.640.

No discounts offered on the scooter. Promised three day delivery if paid in cash full. Did the same and booked the Matte Grey scooter. The Red color in the pic seems very different to real life color and is disappointing.

Two new colors have been introduced, Beige and Silver. Silver looks neat, Beige bleh!
They can stop building Beige scooters and concentrate it on Silver or Grey.

Seems like TVS has got a winner on the hands. Activa beater for sure!

The showroom (Ramkay TVS, Adyar) was nice as well with A/C waiting halls for service and sales too. Sales rep willing to serve the customers eagerly as well.

Hope the scooter performs without any glitches.

OTR including accessories Rs.61K (Rs.750 extra due to Address proof issues).

Last edited by SchumiFan : 17th November 2014 at 19:40.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:39   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This time opted for an AMC for 2 yrs and 4 services which means I now need to get the Activa serviced once a 6 months...... Is my decision correct or I should still get the Activa serviced every quarter?
IIRC, the frequency of the service should not change. Better confirm this with the Service Center. Regarding the oil change, you can do it based on the kms run as per your manual. It does not have to be every service mandatorily.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:43   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Yes the frequency for service should be every three months, not six. You can skip the oil change every alternate service in case the kms covered is low. I do the same.
Old 18th November 2014, 08:01   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, the frequency of the service should not change. Better confirm this with the Service Center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Yes the frequency for service should be every three months, not six.
Thanks for the suggestions. Would your views hold true even if the scooter is out of warranty period and the only applicable services are paid services? Does it make a point to get the scooter serviced every quarter paying Rs 400/- per visit.

Till now I have been changing oil every alternate service i.e once in 6 months. This is what I would continue to do so.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:26   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Would your views hold true even if the scooter is out of warranty period and the only applicable services are paid services? Does it make a point to get the scooter serviced every quarter paying Rs 400/- per visit.
If the scooter is out of warranty, I generally go at the services as per the running or once in 6 months whichever is earlier. But since you have bought the AMC, you have to check if it has any clause that you have get the scooter serviced every 3 months. If such a clause is not present, you can go about your normal schedule of 6 months once service.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:00   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the scooter is out of warranty, I generally go at the services as per the running or once in 6 months whichever is earlier. But since you have bought the AMC, you have to check if it has any clause that you have get the scooter serviced every 3 months. If such a clause is not present, you can go about your normal schedule of 6 months once service.
Thanks.

The AMC specifically mentions that the validity is for two years and 4 services max, doesnt talk anything about the intervals. As long as the 4 service coupons are utilized the workshop is happy for the service intervals.

Many a times during my visit to workshop I have been pestered by the SA's for the decarbonizing service costing about Rs 450/- in addition to the normal service charges. Any idea what goes into this specific service and is it worthwhile to get it done? My Activa ownership has crossed 4.5 yrs and I havent got it done as yet.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:15   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Many a times during my visit to workshop I have been pestered by the SA's for the decarbonizing service costing about Rs 450/- in addition to the normal service charges. Any idea what goes into this specific service and is it worthwhile to get it done? My Activa ownership has crossed 4.5 yrs and I havent got it done as yet.
There is a dedicated thread on engine decarbonising.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mystified.html (Engine Decarbonising - Demystified)

Engine decarbonising was a routing procedure for 2 stroke vehicles where the 2T oil used to get burnt inside the engine. For 4 stroke engines, it is not really required.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 18:25   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Need a runabout for my wife - the usage will be about 3 or 4 kilometer daily (dropping and picking up son from school and occasional quick visit to the nearby shops). Since the usage is not much, I am looking for minimal investment.
After doing a quick search, the models caught my eye where TVS Scooty Zest (around 44.5 ex showroom) and Mahindra Flyte (Around 42.5 ex showroom). Are these the starting range gear less scooters in 100 CC ? Is there any other model which can help me save some more initial investment (Wife and I are not overly enthusiastic about TVS Scooty+).

--Anoop
Old 19th November 2014, 18:34   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
After doing a quick search, the models caught my eye where TVS Scooty Zest (around 44.5 ex showroom)
At this price the Scooty Zest makes a good choice. It has the engine of the Wego/Jupiter twins which is a good thing by itself. Lightest of the current lot of scooters. So should be easy to handle by your wife. Should also return good FE owing to good power to weight ratio.

Regarding Flyte, better you check few previous pages about the bad feedback so its best avoided. Ask your wife to test ride the Scooty Zest and see if she is fine with it. Good luck.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread