Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 19th November 2014, 19:38   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
At this price the Scooty Zest makes a good choice. It has the engine of the Wego/Jupiter twins which is a good thing by itself. Lightest of the current lot of scooters. So should be easy to handle by your wife. Should also return good FE owing to good power to weight ratio.

Regarding Flyte, better you check few previous pages about the bad feedback so its best avoided. Ask your wife to test ride the Scooty Zest and see if she is fine with it. Good luck.
Thank you for the points.

Yes - same engine of Wego/Jupiter twins (but de-tuned) so that is definitely a plus point. I will sure check about the posts about Flyte - we have a Rodeo with us and have been happy with the scooter (around 3 years, 45 K km old) and there was no complaints, so thought Flyte also will be same since it is same engine in a different body shell.

--Anoop
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:04   #3107
BHPian

Which one of these Activa, Jupiter, Wego, Access is the best for someone with a bad back. I heard the Activa is not suited for someone with a bad back, is that true ?
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:42   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Go for scooters with telescopic supspension. Activa 110 has link type suspension, not good for back.
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:12   #3109
BHPian

Go for New Wego or Access since they have telescopic suspension. Activa's suspension is not for people with weak backs.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:37   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Wego is damn good on broken roads. Way better than the Activa. Go for wego. You won't regret.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:02   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Which one of these Activa, Jupiter, Wego, Access is the best for someone with a bad back. I heard the Activa is not suited for someone with a bad back, is that true ?
Is a scooter mandatory? If yes, then please choose a scooter with telescopic front and gas charged rear shock absorbers. It will provide some respite from the bad roads. Activa 110 is very tiring on broken roads and will surely increase the back issues. Choose any of the TVS/Suzuki offerings based on the height of the person. If the scooter is too cramped, back issues will worsen because of that too.

If scooter is not really mandatory, a good commuter like the Hero Passion with a plush seat and suspension is a good choice. You can look at equivalent options from Honda and Suzuki too.
Old 24th November 2014, 22:41   #3112
BHPian

I'll be taking delivery Jupiter this week (Friday) after all detailed analysis.

The only sour point is the TVS tyres, Hence, planning to change to MRF nylogrip zapper soon after the delivery.

Is this advisable? Anyone did this so far? because, I couldn't find the same profiles (90-90/12) in MRF through online.

Please guide me to proceed further?
Old 25th November 2014, 09:32   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
The only sour point is the TVS tyres, Hence, planning to change to MRF nylogrip zapper soon after the delivery.
I have a Jupiter too, did 3700kms so far. I haven't found any problem with the company fitted TVS tyres. Of course heard of people complaining of TVS tyres in Apache where high speed cornering and traction comes into picture.
For a 110cc scooter with 12" rim, this tyre is more than enough. Check pressure once in a while and that's all the attention this tyre would need.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:43   #3114
BHPian

Quote:

Is this advisable? Anyone did this so far? because, I couldn't find the same profiles (90-90/12) in MRF through online.

Please guide me to proceed further?
I got a Jupiter too last Friday. For most parts the tires seem adequate. But slips badly when there is an accumulation of fine sand on the road (like in the edges of the road). My house has a lot of accumulated sand at the entry point and it is a steep ramp. So when I stop and accelerate at that point, I find the rear to be fish tailing.

The front and the back tires are of the same specs. MRF offers front tires of the same specs (seen on their website). If they can be interchanged, I suppose we can buy MRF front tire and fit them in the rear (correct me if I am wrong).

Will have to confirm with the dealer if it affects the warranty. Got five year warranty at an added cost. Don't want this to affect it in any way.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:05   #3115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this advisable?
The TVS tyres are bad only on their bikes specially the ones on the RTR are the worst you can ever buy. But the one's that come with their scooters specially the Wego is very good and you dont have to think about changing them. I guess the tyres of Wego and Jupiter are the same since they are the same size. You can rest assured they are very grippy and should be just fine for our roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
For a 110cc scooter with 12" rim, this tyre is more than enough. Check pressure once in a while and that's all the attention this tyre would need.
+1. Check the pressure and ensure they are as per factory recommended pressures and you should be alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
But slips badly when there is an accumulation of fine sand on the road (like in the edges of the road).
This is the case with most 2-wheelers when it comes to fine sand. So not sure you can do much unless you shift to knobby tyres which will have very bad ride quality on smooth tarmac.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:25   #3116
Senior - BHPian

The worst a city road can get is when there is an Unseasonal drizzle. I rode the wego in those conditions for around 50 kms at speeds of 30 to 40 kmph. The tyres didn't let me down at all. I wouldn't suggest changing it.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:40   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Please get rid of those crappy TVS tyres ASAP, at least the rear one. I'm speaking from experience. The factory fitted tubeless TVS rear tyre of my 2 year 12000 km old Dio tore off along the tread pattern. This is with at least 50 % of the tread remaining. I religiously check the air in my tyres every week and maintain the manufacturer recommended pressure. Moreover these tyres lose grip at the slightest hint of sand on the road.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:47   #3118
BHPian

Happened to purchase TVS Scooty Zest 110 for wife during Dassera time. We considered Jupiter, Wego, Activa, Activa-i before closing on Zest 110.

Main factors influencing decision in favour of Zest 110,

- no compromise on power (as its having same engine doing duty in Jupiter/Wego)
- easy/quick access to ground, small tyre size (wife being newbie to scooter driving this point was a key factor in favour of Zest)
- cute and fresh looks, yet, solid and sturdy build (telescopic suspension in front and wide tyres)
- relatively gender neutral compared to all previous versions of Scooty

Went in for extended warraty, so overall we have 5 years / 60K warranty coverage (2 yrs / 24K OEM + 3 yrs / 36K extended). Overall it costed Rs. 55K on road.

Believe TVS ZEST's immediate competitor is Active-i and Zest beats Active-i on all fronts (looks, features, storage space, ride comfort, seating comfort, build quality) except after sales support where believe Honda leads others by a big margin.

Have selected a desi brand considering it was offering more attractive and value for money package at the same price as foreign competition, however, on service front there is only one sales/service outlet of TVS in Thane, hence, the decision is a little risky considering sales volume and service coverage of TVS in the region, Hope TVS SCOOTY ZEST 110 lives up to our expectations!
Old 27th November 2014, 15:55   #3119
BHPian

BTW - Stock tyre provided on Zest 110 looks good and providing good ride and grip. Will continue to use it.

Had the first free service (at 500 KMs) done last week at Ashwini TVS workshop in Khopat, Thane-West. The experience was average. One thing to learn from service experience is, can't afford to leave vehicle in hands of service guys, will need to take time out to be physically supervising the work done, similar to my Linea.

Last edited by Autocop : 27th November 2014 at 15:56. Reason: Edits
Old 27th November 2014, 16:58   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Vihaan Honda at present has two workshops in Thane. One at Owala, Ghodbunder Road and the one at Kothari mills compound, Manpada. Due to the Owala workshop being in accessible due to road repair works, the entire load is back on the original workshop i.e Kothari compound one. Due to this Saturday & sundays are the busiest days if anyone want to service their 2 wheelers. The scene is utterly chaotic on these days and even to get the service appointment is a huge struggle. There's a third workshop coming up at Majiwade to cater to the growing Honda customer base for 2 wheelers. The workshop is planned to come up before the end of the year. Details still awaited from the dealer.
Closed Thread