Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2015, 19:21   #3166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Within two months of me buying the Wego, there was some loose connection in the headlight and low/high beam switches. Service centre said that electrical parts are not covered under warranty. If the company doesn't trust its own product, how can we?
After the problem became more severe, I had to pay nearly 400 Rs to get the switches replaced.
Headlight lose connection is a design issue in the Wego. We too had the same issue on one of the 2 Wego's in the family from the 2012 batch. The design is changed on the 2013-14 models and it should have been a free replacement. This is what I gleaned from a friendly Service Adviser. You should have fought for it rather than give in.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:35   #3167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BHPians,

My activa will soon complete 5 yrs of ownership with 10K kms just nearing by. What is the right time to change the tyres? Presently the MRF Zapper which came with the scooter are showing signs of tread loss (30%), according to Honda service guys, the tyres can still run for an year or 3k kms more. Is it the right time to change the tyres on the account of ageing or should I continue? If I were to change them what are the alternatives?
If there are no cuts/miniscule wrinkle like cracks on the sidewall, then no worries. You can very well continue to use the same set of tyres. In case you want to replace them, go for MRF or Ceat in that order of preference. Do not go with TVS tyres even if the dealer offers it to you for free.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 20:49   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am getting annoyed with TVS.

Within two months of me buying the Wego, there was some loose connection in the headlight and low/high beam switches. Service centre said that electrical parts are not covered under warranty. If the company doesn't trust its own product, how can we?

After the problem became more severe, I had to pay nearly 400 Rs to get the switches replaced.
Is it mentioned in the manual that electronic components are not covered?
Old 5th January 2015, 20:49   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I have a Honda Dio, 2005 Model with about 38,000Kms on ODO. Had it since brand new, seen her age gracefully but of late she has a nagging issue that the H.A.S.S
I know I'm replying quite late.

In addition to all suggestions mentioned- I would suggest that you check the CVT Belt.

Our Dio (Dec 2003, run 75k), had the same issue. It went for a service, and on mentioning the issue, HASS replaced a certain rubber belt.

This belt, I believe is the CVT Belt. To be mentioned either at 15k or 25k (IIRC. Not sure). This was mentioned somewhere in the service manual, AFAIR.

11 years on, the Dio is doing just fine. I, however plan to have the engine opened up, and fit some oversized pistons.

Primary reason- Slight wear of the oil rings, and pistons evident. In cold starts, some excess fuel mixture/oil burning is evident. A greyish black smoke.

In normal days, the thing starts with little, or no oil burning (with choke.). In half kick! Man- getting the tuning perfect, and more importantly, keeping it consistent in all our vehicles, remains my biggest headache. Yet, that is.

That said, this thing remains more revv-happy that my Vespa!
Old 5th January 2015, 21:31   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am getting annoyed with TVS.

I wish TVS notices such issues and does a free replacement. This does not inspire confidence

My wego met with a minor accident. Unknowingly parked in a no parking area and got towed away and during towing the front fascia got a minor dent and minor chipping of paint. Is there a way to fix this?

The service center is suggesting to replace the entire fascia, which costs around 1.3K.
Old 7th January 2015, 16:57   #3171
BHPian

Quote:

Which all switches did you get replaced? The high beam low beam with pass function switch of my Jupiter costed Rs95/- at TVS showroon. I presume the on/off switch should cost about 100 or 150/- only.
Old 7th January 2015, 19:08   #3172
BHPian

I intend to buy TVS Scooty Zest for common use by 3 of us in the family. Myself (6 Ft ,85 kgs with generous paunch), my wife ( 5ft 3 in, 50kg, lean build) and my brother (6ft 82 kgs) .All 3 of us occassionally will take the bike, but I assume due to this bike will be on road daily.
My question is, if i take this occassionally to office ( 16 km drive one-way) is it likely to cause backache for a slightly heavy fellow like me?
Old 7th January 2015, 19:43   #3173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I intend to buy TVS Scooty Zest for common use by 3 of us in the family. Myself (6 Ft ,85 kgs with generous paunch)...
My question is, if i take this occassionally to office ( 16 km drive one-way) is it likely to cause backache for a slightly heavy fellow like me?
Probability is high. I am your height and weigh 75kgs without a generous paunch. Used a Wego for 20kms one way to office for 3 months. But this was continuously on all of those 90 days. Ended up with a backache which is still persisting off and on even after 1year. Based on the frequency of use you might or might not have it. Also the roads & their quality have a hand in this as well. All smooth roads and you should not have an issue at all. Else you know how it would be.
Old 7th January 2015, 22:12   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Which all switches did you get replaced? The high beam low beam with pass function switch of my Jupiter costed Rs95/- at TVS showroon. I presume the on/off switch should cost about 100 or 150/- only.
Sorry, I was wrong. The ~400 Rs bill was for a recent "free" service. The switch bill is:
dim dip switch - 64 Rs
headlight switch - 68 Rs
labour - 50 Rs

Total 184 Rs
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 11:14   #3175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I intend to buy TVS Scooty Zest for common use by 3 of us in the family. Myself (6 Ft ,85 kgs with generous paunch), my wife ( 5ft 3 in, 50kg, lean build) and my brother (6ft 82 kgs) .All 3 of us occassionally will take the bike, but I assume due to this bike will be on road daily.
Ideally any 2 wheeler on bad roads would give you a back ache. Wego is better than a dio or activa but that doesn't mean it has the softest ride. Long distances would be troublesome but occasionally it should be fine
. I mainly use the Wego as a weekend errands vehicle or going somewhere nearby.
Old 8th January 2015, 20:34   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Long distances would be troublesome but occasionally it should be fine
Thanks for the clarification. I also meant the 16 km ride as a rare occassion only. Normally the rides will not cover more than 5 km at a stretch
Old 9th January 2015, 10:35   #3177
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

We're back in the 2 wheeler gearless scooter market after 20 years so need some help with suggestions/recommendations
Looking for a hassle-free scooter that will be mainly used for quick city rides to nearby places to take care of home errands/the occasional ride to office.
Currently, the shortlist is:
- Yamaha Alpha
- Suzuki Access 125
- Honda Activa

Would appreciate inputs on these to help make the decision

EDIT:How is the TVS Jupiter, should I add it to the list of contenders ?

Last edited by NPV : 9th January 2015 at 10:41.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:17   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Currently, the shortlist is:
- Yamaha Alpha
- Suzuki Access 125
- Honda Activa
EDIT:How is the TVS Jupiter, should I add it to the list of contenders ?
Absolutely TVS twins Jupiter and Wego should be in the list. The final contender list will look more like:
- Yamaha Alpha
- Suzuki Access 125 or Suzuki Lets
- Honda Activa 125 (I Assume)
- TVS Jupiter
- TVS Wego
Amongst the above I would opt for the new Honda Activa 125 coz I recently rode one and there's remarkable improvement in the ride and handling with the new engine and front telescopic suspension. Add to that Honda network, spares cost etc. The only -ve would be the dealer attitude and availability.
Jupiter I personally felt more jerky when braking, the acceleration is smooth and pick up is great. Again comes with front telescopic suspensions - an added advantage.
The Yamaha may be a better looking scooter but often loses out on front space, Low mileage (than others), headlamps on the body, thin dealer network. Suzuki doesn't have any USP's in their products right now. So doesn't need to be looked at.

My pick - Activa 125
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 12:48   #3179
Senior - BHPian

More rants on my Wego.

After getting the headlight switches replaced a few days ago, the scooter was fine. Yesterday, I was late in leaving office. Half way though, I had to switch on the headlights. They worked for a while, and then they stopped. They just wouldn't switch on, but the tail light was fine. It was 7 PM, so I had to ride without lights for the next 10 KMs. Since it is outside city limits, I was scared of overspeeding vehicles. It struck me after 2-3 KMs that I can keep my left indicator on. But the tweet sound is really annoying.

Luckily the service centre near my house was open. When the mechanic opened the switch, I saw that a wire had come loose. Looks like he didn't fix it properly the first time.

Another annoying thing is, the right rear view mirror coming loose. I have tried to fix it numerous times, but it still gets loose. What's worse? The spanner from the TVS toolkit doesn't fit the tightening nut. The nut is too big!
Old 9th January 2015, 15:17   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More rants on my Wego.

Another annoying thing is, the right rear view mirror coming loose. I have tried to fix it numerous times, but it still gets loose. What's worse? The spanner from the TVS toolkit doesn't fit the tightening nut. The nut is too big!
Time for some simple DIY. First, please buy a spanner of the right size. Or maybe an adjustable spanner. Then, get a lock washer for the nut, and fit it. Simple, eh?

This is a TVS. Well designed, well engineered, not terribly well put together. All to ensure you get a "homely" ownership experience
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread