Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2015, 13:28   #3286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

My Suzuki Access completed 4 years this month. The odo reading is just under 19000 KM.

The biggest realization for me over the last one year has been that it is not the engine oil, but the air filter which helps in better mileage (all other factors remaining the same).

I don't mind spending Rs. 80 on the airfilter + Rs. 30-50 on the labour every two months to see the mileage jump above 50 kmpl
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 09:27   #3287
BHPian

Default TVS Jupiter- noise issue

Guys,

Lately I am hearing a noise (like faint metallic jhrrr... in old silencers with cat-con) in my 6 month/1400kms run Jupiter. The noise comes only when setting off from standstill and rapidly accelerating. It is not from silencer- confirmed and doesn't come when scooter is doing usual road speeds. Service center says it is from variomatic clutch and common in many TVS scooters, but, I am not convinced :-(

Anyone else faced this issue?

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 27th March 2015 at 09:28. Reason: typo
Old 27th March 2015, 14:27   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TVS Jupiter- noise issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Lately I am hearing a noise (like faint metallic jhrrr... in old silencers with cat-con) in my 6 month/1400kms run Jupiter. The noise comes only when setting off from standstill and rapidly accelerating.
When you say its not from the silencer, I am assuming you have checked the heat shield as well. The kind of sound you are reporting comes even if the heat shield is lose or vibrating.

If SVC is saying its common, ask them show it to you as they will have many vehicles which would have come for servicing. You can then rule out if what they are saying is true or not. If not convinced still, get it diagnosed at a competent outside mechanic (don't get it fixed, just get the issue pin-pointed if it can be done without opening any major parts) & then ask the SVC to look specifically into it and fix it.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 11:39   #3289
Senior - BHPian

I love it when Indian firms slug it out with established international brands and come out on top. The Jupiter is one such awesome effort by our 'desi' TVS. I have booked one yesterday but I'm in a dilemma now. An advance is paid for the Special Edition (illustrated in the pic below) just for the uniqueness offered by the Stallion Brown shade and the beige inner panels. I also have an option to change it to white (our second preference), if needed.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-2015-tvs-jupiter-special-editionbrochure.jpg

There are two things running in my mind now:

1. Will the beige panels be a pain to maintain? Or, will it be a better choice as it might not fade as quickly and as easily as black?

2. Will the Stallion Brown shade look as good as it does on paper? I know many forum members hate this caramel shade but both me and others at home liked it. I haven't seen one in person and just don't want it to look awful on road.
Old 30th March 2015, 13:49   #3290
Senior - BHPian

I have seen it in my area show room but some how I did't like this colour combination, comparing other colours like Black or White etc.. (its just my opinion only...)
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 14:28   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I love it when Indian firms slug it out with established international brands and come out on top. The Jupiter is one such awesome effort by our 'desi' TVS. I have booked one yesterday but I'm in a dilemma now. An advance is paid for the Special Edition (illustrated in the pic below) just for the uniqueness offered by the Stallion Brown shade and the beige inner panels. I also have an option to change it to white (our second preference), if needed.

Attachment 1355124

1. Will the beige panels be a pain to maintain? Or, will it be a better choice as it might not fade as quickly and as easily as black?

2. Will the Stallion Brown shade look as good as it does on paper? I know many forum members hate this caramel shade but both me and others at home liked it. I haven't seen one in person and just don't want it to look awful on road.

1. Yes the beige will be a big pain to maintain. And beige will also fade over time just like black

2. This color is not exactly pleasing to the eyes. My neighbor owns one and whenever i see i am like "What the .....". Looks kinda disgusting if you get my hint . But then color is purely a personal choice. Look at the scooter in flesh and then decide
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 15:42   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
1. Yes the beige will be a big pain to maintain. And beige will also fade over time just like black
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I have seen it in my area show room but some how I did't like this colour combination
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
2. This color is not exactly pleasing to the eyes. My neighbor owns one and whenever i see i am like "What the .....". Looks kinda disgusting
The 'Stallion Brown' shade's negative feedback and Chennai's dusty roads that might spoil the beige inner panels are well on track to force me to change my colour choice.
Old 31st March 2015, 15:46   #3293
Distinguished - BHPian

Scooter newbie in need of advice. Haven't owned an automatic (owned a Vespa T5 while in college, delightful piece of kit).

What are my choices?

TVS: Wego & Jupiter (prefer Wego because of front disc and body balance tech).
Honda: Everyone seems to hate the front suspension. The Activa 125 is expensive, I'd rather buy a Vespa in that ballpark
Suzuki: I find their scooters a bit 'meh'.
Yamaha: New kid on the scooter block. How's the Ray?
Vespa: I want the matt black one, wife wants the red one, we both agree it's not the practical choice but the sexiest of the lot If we buy this, we'll have to buy at least the VX to get front discs, and then the S (matt black or red) is only a few thousand more.

Comments on A.S.S. will also be appreciated. Good scooter with good service is preferable.

Help!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st March 2015 at 15:50.
Old 31st March 2015, 18:04   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Scooter newbie in need of advice. Haven't owned an automatic (owned a Vespa T5 while in college, delightful piece of kit).

What are my choices?

TVS: Wego & Jupiter (prefer Wego because of front disc and body balance tech).
Honda: Everyone seems to hate the front suspension. The Activa 125 is expensive, I'd rather buy a Vespa in that ballpark
Suzuki: I find their scooters a bit 'meh'.
Yamaha: New kid on the scooter block. How's the Ray?
Vespa: I want the matt black one, wife wants the red one, we both agree it's not the practical choice but the sexiest of the lot If we buy this, we'll have to buy at least the VX to get front discs, and then the S (matt black or red) is only a few thousand more.

Comments on A.S.S. will also be appreciated. Good scooter with good service is preferable.

Help!
TVS: Wego disc highly recommended. I bought one A.S.S. is a hit-or-miss, but isn't terrible
Honda: Try the Aviator instead of the Activa. A.S.S. is a pain in all the wrong places, though
Suzuki: Agree with the 'meh'.
Yamaha: Ray is very nice, but under-seat storage space too small.
Vespa: Prefer the VX over the S (personal choice - never liked square headlamps). Practicality is actually not bad, but driveability in stop-go traffic isn't great when fully loaded with 2 adults and luggage.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 18:36   #3295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
TVS: Wego disc highly recommended. I bought one A.S.S. is a hit-or-miss, but isn't terrible
Honda: Try the Aviator instead of the Activa. A.S.S. is a pain in all the wrong places, though
Suzuki: Agree with the 'meh'.
Yamaha: Ray is very nice, but under-seat storage space too small.
Vespa: Prefer the VX over the S (personal choice - never liked square headlamps). Practicality is actually not bad, but driveability in stop-go traffic isn't great when fully loaded with 2 adults and luggage.
I'm thinking the choice will be between the Wego (sane choice) or the Vespa VX (the splurge choice). Additional point in favor of VX (over the S) is the lockable front storage bin, plus the nearest Vespa outlet is walk-able distance from where I live. I have a sinking feeling what the wife is going to choose (she already has a RED helmet, to boot)

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st March 2015 at 18:37.
Old 31st March 2015, 18:39   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have a sinking feeling what the wife is going to choose
High time you got used to this feeling
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:39   #3297
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Got myself a Honda Activa 125 DLX. Itís a ďStep UpĒ (as Honda says) from the Honda Dio (old gen) I had earlier.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-2.jpg The Gearless Scooter Thread-4.jpg

While the Activa 125 has potential to get a good market share, Honda should make sure that the product is delivered on time. When I had gone to buy mine, I was asked to wait 4-6 months. I was lucky enough to get mine so soon. Mostly it is the DLX model that has a short supply as per the dealers.

Initial impressions have been good. The ride is much much better than what the Dio offered. Comparing with the Activa 3G, I think it is worth the extra premium and one should upgrade to the 125 for the comfort it provides.
The disc brake has a good bite and can really be handy in emergency situations. The Combi Brake is good too, helps reduce speed faster.

Currently while the scooter is cold and if I move it slowly the disc brake makes a small grinding noise. Not sure what it is, as I checked and things seem to be normal.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-1.jpg The Gearless Scooter Thread-3.jpg

Fit and finish is good enough, I did find some rough edges and a few areas where the paint finish is not good. Being an expensive model, Honda should have given attention to such details.

As far as the performance is concerned. I am a very sedate rider. I like how the scooter pulls from standstill with just a minor twist of the right arm. Currently the scooter is in the run-in period so havenít gone full throttle on it.

Side Mirrors could have been better. They donít provide a wide view also Honda uses the same across all its scooters. They should provide something with better quality. The mirrors move slightly after a few kms. Had faced this problem with the Dio as well.

While starting I noticed only the left brake works and you need to press it fully. Earlier on the Dio I could use any of the two the pedals and the motor would start easily, whereas now it sometimes takes a few seconds as if itís going through some process or so. Also Honda has omitted the parking brake feature. Wonder why, It did come quite handy while parking at slopes and even during a signal stop.

Underseat storage space is quite good, I can put my half face helmet and the body cover together in it. There is only one hook under the seat. Another one could have been placed under the handle as well.

Light is good but will have to get it aligned as per my preference. Not sure why Honda did not provide a ďPassĒ Switch like what TVS offers on the Jupiter. I think it should be a standard fitment on all scooters now.

Another thing I donít like about Honda dealers is that they wonít sell without making you buy the so called compulsory accessories. Shouldn't a side stand and number plate be standard fitments?

Last edited by SRK : 3rd April 2015 at 09:43.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:57   #3298
BHPian

@ SRK - Please find my replies in italics and bold below your thoughts

Congrats on your new acquisition. I also own a Activa 125 white (Non-disc)

While the Activa 125 has potential to get a good market share, Honda should make sure that the product is delivered on time. When I had gone to buy mine, I was asked to wait 4-6 months. I was lucky enough to get mine so soon. Mostly it is the DLX model that has a short supply as per the dealers.

Generally the dealers quote abnormal waiting period. But the reality happens to be that the scooter is delivered generally within one and a half month or so.

Fit and finish is good enough, I did find some rough edges and a few areas where the paint finish is not good. Being an expensive model, Honda should have given attention to such details.

Yes the paint finish is not good in the corner areas where you can find the improper mat finish.

Side Mirrors could have been better. They don’t provide a wide view also Honda uses the same across all its scooters. They should provide something with better quality. The mirrors move slightly after a few kms. Had faced this problem with the Dio as well.

Same issue exists with my Activa also. In fact we are very similar. I also had the old gen Dio (2008). The mirror issue is something which is common with all Honda scooters.

Light is good but will have to get it aligned as per my preference. Not sure why Honda did not provide a “Pass” Switch like what TVS offers on the Jupiter. I think it should be a standard fitment on all scooters now.

Light adjustment is off no use. There exists a screw under the headlight which can be loosened to adjust focus. The light focus is not proper even when the headlight is adjusted to the last level.

Another thing I don’t like about Honda dealers is that they won’t sell without making you buy the so called compulsory accessories. Shouldn't a side stand and number plate be standard fitments?[/quote]

Very mean minded are Honda guys and their dealers in this aspect. I have also cribbed about this. Honda is least bothered about the customers and nothing has dented their scooter sales.

Last edited by rki2007 : 3rd April 2015 at 10:01.
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:20   #3299
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. I also own a Activa 125 white (Non-disc)
Thanks rki2007

Quote:
Generally the dealers quote abnormal waiting period. But the reality happens to be that the scooter is delivered generally within one and a half month or so.
Not sure why they do it but it will either make the customer buy another of their product or they will move to the competitor.

I was actually lucky to get mine as the dealer had one disc version with him. I paid on 11th March in the evening and took the vehicle in my possession on the 15th when the payment got cleared. Then started the long period of getting it registered due to festival season and several other reasons from the dealer side.

Also, have noticed that even though the authorized dealer wont be able to provide a particular model, that same can be bought on spot from a sub-dealer outside, sometimes at a lower price too or same price with added accessories.

Quote:
Yes the paint finish is not good in the corner areas where you can find the improper mat finish.
Exactly, the corner and edges have a very thin layer of coat.

Quote:
Same issue exists with my Activa also. In fact we are very similar. I also had the old gen Dio (2008). The mirror issue is something which is common with all Honda scooters.
Wonder why the company doesn't work on it.

Quote:
Light adjustment is off no use. There exists a screw under the headlight which can be loosened to adjust focus. The light focus is not proper even when the headlight is adjusted to the last level.
The light is actually good but I feel the throw is a bit higher even on the low beam, this could cause inconvenience to the oncoming driver and hence looking to get it done

Quote:
Very mean minded are Honda guys and their dealers in this aspect. I have also cribbed about this. Honda is least bothered about the customers and nothing has dented their scooter sales.
Very true. Usually its like a take it or leave situation from their side. Still need to experience the Honda 2 Wheeler After sales service
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:38   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

Attachment 1355124

Had the same dilemma with my choice which considered silver also, but finally settled for my favourite colour red ! Remember, one man's meat is another man's poison !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread