Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 18th April 2015, 18:10   #3316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My Suzuki Access scooter completed 4 years with a running of 19000 KM.

I am planning to change the tyres.
What are my options?
MRF zapper first choice followed by ceat.

Don't consider any other options.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 23:17   #3317
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
MRF zapper first choice followed by ceat.

Don't consider any other options.
No MRF Zapper for Access as per the MRF official site only NyloGrip series available. How are they? Are they tubeless?
Old 19th April 2015, 02:25   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
My Suzuki Access scooter completed 4 years with a running of 19000 KM.

I am planning to change the tyres.
What are my options?
MRF ZAPPERS 90/100 10 is a perfect fit and it costs ₹1000 for tube type without tube. Last month changed brake shoe and rear tyre of our swish and the ride quality is superb.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 00:39   #3319
Senior - BHPian

MRF Zapper for Suzuki Access
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/mrf-...rip/2009392459

Is it that one?

A few months ago, Darshan Tyres gave me a quote of Rs. 2500 (approx.) for getting two new tyres with tubes fitted on Access. The make was Ceat. No further details.
Why is MRF costlier?
Old 20th April 2015, 05:36   #3320
BHPian

These are tubeless type but I went with tube type since I was not sure of the rim condition. If the rim has taken a beating it's better you stick to tube type. Just my 2 cents.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 08:04   #3321
BHPian

I too have a similar query. I just saw a pdf of various MRF tyres. There was a Zapper D with 100/90 R10 size. Now does up sizing make sense if there is enough clearance? I am asking for replacement of Vespa tyres. 100/90R10 for rear and 90/100R10 (stock) for the front.
Old 20th April 2015, 08:38   #3322
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a TVS Jupiter in white 3 weeks back. Have done aroudn 300 odd kms on it and waiting to get the first service done over the weekend. I will start a thread for it.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 08:54   #3323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I also have an option to change it to white (our second preference), if needed.
Colour is a personal choice. However I feel you should change it for a totally unrelated reason; the beige panels.

Quote:
Will the beige panels be a pain to maintain?
Yes. They are a pain to maintain in cars, so on a bike it's even worse.

Quote:
Will the Stallion Brown shade look as good as it does on paper?
At least to me it looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Got myself a Honda Activa 125 DLX. It’s a “Step Up” (as Honda says) from the Honda Dio (old gen) I had earlier.
It's a great bike. My neighbour has 3 of them besides the current Activa, a current Dio and an old Dio. He recently sold one old model Activa and an old model Dio when he picked up the 3 125's. That makes it a total of 8 Honda scooters he's owned (currently own's 6). Just goes to show how much faith he has in the brand.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 22:23   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
However I feel you should change it for a totally unrelated reason; the beige panels.
Despite the hassles associated with the beige panels, I'm going ahead with the Special Edition for the same reason you stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
At least to me it looks awesome.
This sealed the deal.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:29   #3325
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a few dual tone dios recently and when I checked the website I was surprised to see them launch it in the same double color versions like the old dio. Not everyone likes the design, but they should have left the single colour versions alone. At least it is not filled with stickering and the like. Even the Dio emblem is replaced with the sticker. I did somewhat like the white and black variants, so will give try on my dio and see what the outcome is.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:47   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I saw a few dual tone dios recently and when I checked the website I was surprised to see them launch it in the same double color versions like the old dio. Not everyone likes the design, but they should have left the single colour versions alone. At least it is not filled with stickering and the like. Even the Dio emblem is replaced with the sticker. I did somewhat like the white and black variants, so will give try on my dio and see what the outcome is.
Here are some of the pics. I really hate these kind of dual color stuffs. But the old generation dual color Dio was just fine when compared to these new specimens. I owned one of that for about 6 years.

In between, I could spot only the white-blue and white-green colors and none of the other colors.

Edit - @audioholic - You have very sharp eyes. I missed to notice the white-black one. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-1.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-2.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-3.jpg  

Last edited by rki2007 : 24th April 2015 at 13:06. Reason: Spelling mistakes
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 12:51   #3327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Here are some of the pics. I really hate these kind of dual tone stuff. But the old gen dual color Dio was just fine when compared to these new specimens. I could spot only the white-blue and white-green colors and not other variant.
There is a white and black variant just next to the white and green you have posted

Anyways I liked the side but front looks a little out of place compared to the old dio. I guess I will keep mine stock and not try this combination.
Old 24th April 2015, 13:55   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Tyre update.
For my Suzuki Access, asked a local -small time tyre dealer last evening.
He did not have MRF in stock - asked me to wait for a week or two.
He had Ceat and suggested I take that or the TVS one - both were in stock.

MRF comes with 1 year warranty and Ceat and TVS come with 5 years, if I recall now.

The cost difference is not much. Two tyres would cost around Rs. 2100 +/-250 depending on the brand. The tubes will cost Rs. 500 for a pair.

When asked if tubeless tyres would fit, he examined the rim from a distance and said there should be no issue. Instead of the tubes, I would need to buy two valves (Rs. 250). The tyres would be a little bit more expensive and total cost would be almost the same as with the tubeless setup.

However, what surprised me the most was when he mentioned that he does not recommend tubeless, since in case of puncture you cannot use the scooter at all (unlike a car where you can still go some distance).
He attributed this to the weight of the scooter coming onto the tyre (in a car there are two tyres sharing the load.)
I find it pointless to go for tubeless if this is true.

He also said the life of tubeless tyres is lesser compared to the ones with tube (though that is of no importance to me).
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 14:05   #3329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, what surprised me the most was when he mentioned that he does not recommend tubeless, since in case of puncture you cannot use the scooter at all (unlike a car where you can still go some distance).
He attributed this to the weight of the scooter coming onto the tyre (in a car there are two tyres sharing the load.)
I find it pointless to go for tubeless if this is true.

He also said the life of tubeless tyres is lesser compared to the ones with tube (though that is of no importance to me).
I would call that one load of bulls waste. I used my dio for three months with a two inch long metal nail in the rear Tyre. The Tyre used to lose half its pressure with two weeks and I kept on filing up air. Recently during a service I got the wheel removed and Tyre was unmounted from the rim. The nail had got is head sheared and hence it was not visible from outside.

These local chaps are new to tubeless Tyres. Instead of learning more about it they spread nonsense like this and misguide customers. Probably he doesn't have stock of the tyres or doesn't know how to install it.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 15:31   #3330
BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

After reading all the reviews and experiences, I went forth for some research on the scooters available in the Market. Am from Goa and was surprised to see all dealers (sub-dealers) having presence in Vasco.

The criteria was seat-height, period. My wife is on the shorter side even by Indian standards and she is going to be a first time rider.

So we considered
- Yamaha Ray (lowest seat height)
- Mahindra Gusto (735 mm, seat adjusted to lowest position)
- TVS Scooty Pep+
- TVS Scooty Zest 110 [Loved the white with aquamarince stickers]
- Hero Pleasure
- Suzuki Lets

We did not consider Honda since it is too common and I feel they did not strike it right with the Activa-i yet.

As we ruled out one for another for various reasons, we had sme aweful experience at Hero and Yamaha. The sales guys/ girls did not know *anything* and had the tendency to hoodwink and scare customers into agreeing to all their demands. 250/- for an affidavit that is 170/- at the best lawyers office a KM down the road for instance. Yamaha was the worst, ready to give us a Ray taht was ready to be delivered to another customer!

Good experiences wera at the Suzuki, Mahindra and TVS. Mahindra A.S.S was the deal breaker but I feel the Gusto is a decent product, though the engine has serious throttle lag.

Finally it was the Pep+ and the Zest. Heart over Height

I had my eye on the White Zest while my wife liked a few other color options.
She started with the Red, though the purple and then the Torquise and finally the White.....all the while I just stood and urged her to be alsolutely sure...not a word for the white I swear

After a couple of visits and seating-experiences (she is still learning) we confimed the White Zest 110. OTR in Goa is 54350.00 without any accessories. (250/- for the number plates and number. The Number PLates are not part of the Scooter). The dealer is giving the Seat Cover and Handle Grips complimentary.

The cheque shall clear in a day or two and the RTO would also happen by then. The engine is super smooth and the owner's zest that I used for a small errand was quite rev happy and stable. I would be riding it to office once in a while, resting my TBTS 500 for sure.

Ownership review as soon as I get my hands on it.
Since my wife will be a first time rider, it will be interesting to view the ownership experience from her perspective I guess.

Happy Motoring!
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread