Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2015, 09:29   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Our Access125 runs very hot, and even heats up the storage area to an almost untouchable state. It's due for an engine oil change. What kind/brand engine oil would you recommend to maintain a cooler engine? Also what else could possibly be the issue here?
Check the carb tuning. It may be running very lean. Get it checked asap from a knowledgeable mechanic before the engine self destructs itself.

Also check if the rear wheel moves freely when rotated.

Your problem has got nothing to do with engine oil
Old 27th May 2015, 15:46   #3362
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Do these CVT scooters take engine oil for both the engine and in the gear-oil case? The manual doesn't mention a separate gear oil recommendation.

Also, what "gears" or mechanism is this oil taking care of?
-----------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Check the carb tuning. It may be running very lean. Get it checked asap from a knowledgeable mechanic before the engine self destructs itself.

Also check if the rear wheel moves freely when rotated.

Your problem has got nothing to do with engine oil
The heating issue is recent. I've been going through the Suzuki manual and there's a "cooling fan" filter that I never realized existed. I'll take a look at that today. By the way, the engine idle RPM is not a constant chug - it's more of a sing-song that goes up and down. You think that's the carb? Or is it the spark plug on the way out?

I'll check the rear wheel movement, but would that heat the wheel or the engine (or both) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
I have been using Shell advance ultra fully synthetic for the past 1.5 yrs on our swish and pulsar and the ride quality difference is easily noticeable by other swish owners. The under seat storage heating which used to be very high has decreased to an extent too. It retails at about 700/ltr
We have a TVS Pep that doesn't heat the storage at all (barely warm). The Suzuki runs very hot. Somehow not liking this scooter much.

Last edited by hellmet : 27th May 2015 at 15:48.
Old 27th May 2015, 16:32   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do these CVT scooters take engine oil for both the engine and in the gear-oil case? The manual doesn't mention a separate gear oil recommendation.

Also, what "gears" or mechanism is this oil taking care of?
-----------------------------------------------------

The heating issue is recent. I've been going through the Suzuki manual and there's a "cooling fan" filter that I never realized existed. I'll take a look at that today. By the way, the engine idle RPM is not a constant chug - it's more of a sing-song that goes up and down. You think that's the carb? Or is it the spark plug on the way out?

I'll check the rear wheel movement, but would that heat the wheel or the engine (or both) ?

We have a TVS Pep that doesn't heat the storage at all (barely warm). The Suzuki runs very hot. Somehow not liking this scooter much.

These newer 4 strokes use engine oil as gear oil also. There is no separate oil for gear box.

If the idle note is singing even after warm up then its likely to be carb issue.

I am not sure of what the cooling fan filter is. Check if its clogged .

Better to check the tuning once.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:45   #3364
BHPian

Anybody know what grade oil to use for the TVS Scooty Pep, and if there's an oil filter I need to change? Manual does not mention either :(

Btw, the handle has been cross for a long while now. Is this something that can be set right ourselves (a screw somewhere?) or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

Quote:
If the idle note is singing even after warm up then its likely to be carb issue.

I am not sure of what the cooling fan filter is. Check if its clogged .
Well, I got the engine oil and filter replaced yesterday with semi-synthetic oil. Will watch for heat this coming week and will open up the carb sometime when I get time.

Last edited by hellmet : 31st May 2015 at 11:46.
Old 31st May 2015, 14:04   #3365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
These newer 4 strokes use engine oil as gear oil also. There is no separate oil for gear box.
The transmission oil should be filled independently of the engine oil and is a small quantity 200ml or so not sure. I usually replace this oil once every 5k though it is not needed nor does it make a difference.

Usually I will have around 300ml of oil left out when I replace engine oil and instead of throwing away the expensive matter I replace the transmission oil too. It would have slightly darkened.

Quote:
Btw, the handle has been cross for a long while now. Is this something that can be set right ourselves (a screw somewhere?) or do I need to take it to a mechanic?
It is a bolt nut thing which should be loosened and then aligned properly. My dio had lost its center according to the service center and they set it right using some machine. I thought they would beat it to position but the manager explained that it is a clean job and no jugaad type procedure is done.
Old 31st May 2015, 23:10   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The transmission oil should be filled independently of the engine oil and is a small quantity 200ml or so not sure. I usually replace this oil once every 5k though it is not needed nor does it make a difference.
What I meant is there is no different oil for the gear box only. Engine oil is used for gear box also
Old 1st June 2015, 08:59   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
What I meant is there is no different oil for the gear box only. Engine oil is used for gear box also
In 4 stroke bikes, engine oil is used for gearbox also. Which would mean there is no harm in using the 20W50 or 15W40 oil inside the gearbox. However in most cases where the gearbox works in isolation from the engine, a higher viscosity coil like EP80 or 80W90 is recommended. So please go with what the service book says or the authorized service guys recommend.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 10:44   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Do these CVT scooters take engine oil for both the engine and in the gear-oil case?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
In 4 stroke bikes, engine oil is used for gearbox also. Which would mean there is no harm in using the 20W50 or 15W40 oil inside the gearbox. However in most cases where the gearbox works in isolation from the engine, a higher viscosity coil like EP80 or 80W90 is recommended. So please go with what the service book says or the authorized service guys recommend.
I have a Bajaj Discover 135 and a Suzuki Access 125. For the Bajaj Discover 135, the oil is common for both the engine and the gearbox. The grade recommended is 20W-50.

However the Suzuki Access 125 does have a separate oil for the gear box. Please check the details here.
Old 4th June 2015, 21:49   #3369
BHPian

Dear All

Need Help.

How does one find the VIN or equivalent on a current VESPA Scooter.
How do I ensure that I am being given a brand new scooter and not a demo vehicle.
Its easy to disconnect the odometer cable in a two wheeler.
Old 6th June 2015, 01:09   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Dear All

Need Help.

How do I ensure that I am being given a brand new scooter and not a demo vehicle.
Its easy to disconnect the odometer cable in a two wheeler.
I have the same query!
It would be really helpful if someone could answer this.
Old 6th June 2015, 21:04   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Dear All

Need Help.

How do I ensure that I am being given a brand new scooter and not a demo vehicle..
Hi you can ask the dealer for his invoice when the vehicle arrived from the factory. Usually he'll show you but a bit reluctantly. There spot the month and year of dispatch against the vehicle you are buying.

For Vin refer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
I have the same query!
It would be really helpful if someone could answer this.
The Vin no is stamped on the inside of the scooter accessible by removing the under seat storage.

My Vin no is like this : MET0000AAPCXXXXXX

MET- vespa India wmi
000-unused
0A - indicates vespa
A - scooter
P - year
C - month
XXXXXX- Serial no

P stands for 2013
C stands for March

This is what was told by my dealer.
I purchased in may 2013
Every vespa manual has Vin breakdown but it doesn't mention which letter stands for which value.

In case further doubt call 1800 108 8784. Its the vespa 24h toll free number + roadside assistance. They are very friendly.

Note - there is no I and O and Q used in Vin numbers.

Note 2 - vespa has separate gear and engine oil. While the engine oil (700cc) is to be topped up at 3k and changed every 6k kms, the gear oil (110cc) is to be checked at 12k and changed at 24k kms. This is as per the manual.

Last edited by blackwasp : 6th June 2015 at 21:12.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:47   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Experts,

Have a query. Recently serviced my 5 yrs old Activa at Honda workshop and one of the observations of the Service advisor was the replacement of the rear brakes. As seen in the attached pic, the adjustment for the rear brakes is at its extreme as compared to the new ones where the adjustment nut is at the least position. According to the SA, the brakes are adjusted every tie during the service and hence reached its last position. They will need replacement in the next service.

Now I service the Activa once in 6 months as the running now is quite low. Is the SA's explanation correct? Should I replace it immediately or wait for 6 months to pass by? Would I endanger the scooter by running in such condition. The brakes do still have the bite and stop in a jiffy. What is the life of brakes (Rear esp) for the Activa?
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-p_20150607_110142.jpg  

Old 8th June 2015, 16:53   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Have a query. Recently serviced my 5 yrs old Activa at Honda workshop and one of the observations of the Service advisor was the replacement of the rear brakes. As seen in the attached pic, the adjustment for the rear brakes is at its extreme as compared to the new ones where the adjustment nut is at the least position. According to the SA, the brakes are adjusted every tie during the service and hence reached its last position. They will need replacement in the next service.

Now I service the Activa once in 6 months as the running now is quite low. Is the SA's explanation correct? Should I replace it immediately or wait for 6 months to pass by? Would I endanger the scooter by running in such condition. The brakes do still have the bite and stop in a jiffy. What is the life of brakes (Rear esp) for the Activa?
Go for replacement asap, otherwise it may not be available at the time of need. There is no standard time set for brake pads, it all depends on usage, but generally around 20-25 it runs smoothly. As it drum better go for replacement, as rainy season will give you tough time.
sam003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 13:55   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
I have a Bajaj Discover 135 and a Suzuki Access 125. For the Bajaj Discover 135, the oil is common for both the engine and the gearbox. The grade recommended is 20W-50.

However the Suzuki Access 125 does have a separate oil for the gear box. Please check the details here.
After more than a year, I got gear oil change.
The oil shop keeper gave me this for gear oil - works for Access as well as Activa.

Name:  IMG_20150531_133729870_HDR.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  118.5 KB

The Gearless Scooter Thread-img_20150531_133723403_hdr.jpg
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 09:27   #3375
BHPian

Can someone let me know how to advance clutch timing on my Access125? I'm fed up of explaining the issue to every new mechanic only to have the clutch cleaned and carb cleaned. The isue clearly is a clutch that engages a bit late causing judder, and disengages very early causing the engine to die before going into idle.

Btw, I changed the engine oil and oil filter and have noticed a drastic reduction in temperature after a long ride. Oil is Shell semi synthetic.
Closed Thread