Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 14th July 2015, 11:34   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I need to get my neighbour's Activa (2013 model with HET) serviced.

Is Shell AX7 suitable for this engine?

I am personally very happy with this engine oil on my Access, but I have no clue about Activa's HET technology based engine.
Old 15th July 2015, 12:44   #3407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I need to get my neighbour's Activa (2013 model with HET) serviced.

Is Shell AX7 suitable for this engine?

I am personally very happy with this engine oil on my Access, but I have no clue about Activa's HET technology based engine.
I guess the grade of the oil should be 10W30 and rest doesnt matter. Since the AX7 comes in 10W30 grade, there wont be a problem using it. Do check the user manual of the activa just in case they have changed the grade of oil for the HET versions. AFAIK they havent.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:48   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, after a very heavy downpour I was stuck in low lying area with severe water logging. I had to do a water fording with my Activa. In some stretches, water was a couple of inches above the floorboard (water was touching the rear bumpers of XUV crawling in front of me). This being an automatic, I couldn't keep in low gear, rev in neutral (or slight slip of clutch once in while) to restrict the speed while keeping revs high. Finally, I just revved the engine but held on to the brakes tightly to restrict the speed, never letting it die on me. The scoot waded just fine and I covered another 6 kms before reaching home, without any drama. I also did a few high acceleration bursts for short interval to dry out the engine, carbs, etc just in case. Today I covered another 14 kms and the scooter behaved like any other day.

Now my queries are:

1) Do I need to carry out any preemptive check up of the scooter right now? My next service/oil change is less than a month away.

2) Was it the right way of handling the scooter in a water logged situation? (I would never venture INTO such situations. But I had to come OUT of that area and all 3 roads leading out of the locality were similarly inundated)

3) What would be the impact of continuous braking on an automatic scooter under hard acceleration? Any engine or gearbox impact? Ignore the worn out brake pads as it can be easily changed.
Old 16th July 2015, 13:16   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
1) Do I need to carry out any preemptive check up of the scooter right now? My next service/oil change is less than a month away.

2) Was it the right way of handling the scooter in a water logged situation? (I would never venture INTO such situations. But I had to come OUT of that area and all 3 roads leading out of the locality were similarly inundated)

3) What would be the impact of continuous braking on an automatic scooter under hard acceleration? Any engine or gearbox impact? Ignore the worn out brake pads as it can be easily changed.
To answer your queries serially:
1) Get the anti rust underbody coating done, this will prevent the rust formation on the exposed metal. Get the exhaust checked if there has been any water ingress.
2) If I were you, I would not venture out in such condition since the risk of anything happening to the engine is not ruled out. Insurance claims in such cases can be hampered.
3) Engine might be affected due to increased fluid temperatures, my guess. Maybe experts can answer this more technically.
Old 16th July 2015, 15:01   #3410
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On our old Kinetic Honda, similar usage resulted in Auto clutch/Variator needing replacement.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:40   #3411
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes. 100% agreed. Please try to fit some kind of projector light.

Here is the one I have in mine. Its an LED projector.

Attachment 1359924

It is not perfect, but it is better than the stock light. It also consumes way less(around 17W in high beam) than the 35W that the stock light is rated at.

Also, I have disconnected the blue ring that is connected to position lamp. I didn't like the looks with the blue ring.
Thanks for the information. Much needed. Can you kindly tell me if the LED headlamp fits perfectly within the original headlamp? Or did you replace your original headlamp internals with the projector? Did it affect your warranty? You can pm me the details and the costs please...
Old 17th July 2015, 11:20   #3412
BHPian

Is it possible to fit Apache RTR rear view mirrors in Suzuki Access?? I find the rear view mirror in Suzuki really useless when trying to change lanes. Please let me know if anyone has tried retrofitting the RVMs from any other bikes also and whether it was really useful.
Old 17th July 2015, 11:33   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
To answer your queries serially:
1) Get the anti rust underbody coating done, this will prevent the rust formation on the exposed metal. Get the exhaust checked if there has been any water ingress.
2) If I were you, I would not venture out in such condition since the risk of anything happening to the engine is not ruled out. Insurance claims in such cases can be hampered.
3) Engine might be affected due to increased fluid temperatures, my guess. Maybe experts can answer this more technically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On our old Kinetic Honda, similar usage resulted in Auto clutch/Variator needing replacement.
Thanks for your replies. Variator problem sounds ominous and I will refrain from any such riding henceforth, even if it requires being stranded for a couple of hours. Can you please tell me the problem or symptoms that you faced which lead to the auto-clutch change?

Regarding water ingress in exhaust, isn't there a drain hole at the lower most point of the pipe for use in accidental water ingress? This problem is ruled out since I am the scooter that day for 6-7 kms to dry it up. There can happen another problem of exhaust cracking. This happens when a very hot exhaust pipe (after a long run) is submerged in cold water (expansion and contraction). This also ruled out since the water logging was from right where I started and it a cold start for the scooter.

It has run another 30 kms after the incident without any drama. I could feel something like a clutch slip at low speeds (It still accelerates well in the mid-range) but I'm not sure. It could be my psychological feeling or the normal rubber band effect of the CVT gearbox. Will watch for a few days before taking any decision.
Old 17th July 2015, 14:41   #3414
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Variator problem sounds ominous and I will refrain from any such riding henceforth, even if it requires being stranded for a couple of hours. Can you please tell me the problem or symptoms that you faced which lead to the auto-clutch change?
Quite easy to find this - you will find engine tone to be distinctly different, sort of wimpy sound and vehicle's pick up will go down drastically basically it's unable to shift to upper gears and goes in low speed only.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 10:56   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
Is it possible to fit Apache RTR rear view mirrors in Suzuki Access?? I find the rear view mirror in Suzuki really useless when trying to change lanes. Please let me know if anyone has tried retrofitting the RVMs from any other bikes also and whether it was really useful.
I am also looking for better RVMs for my Activa-i. The stock mirrors are not that good.

Any suggestions ?

Rohan
Old 20th July 2015, 16:44   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Fitted the RVMs from Suzuki Lets in the Access. They were a direct fit to Access. They offer better rear view and are more stable and stay in position than the ones that come with Access.

@rohan_iitr

Checkout the RVMs of the new scooters in Honda stable say Activa 125 and see it they are better than the ones in Activa i. If they are then, most probably they would be a direct fit.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:17   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same issue on the Wego too. The RVMs are too small. I find it very difficult to see whats behind. Any Wego owners here who have made any changes, kindly suggest.
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:43   #3418
BHPian

Guys, I am contemplating on purchasing a scooter.

Little about me and my requirement:
My stint with scooters has been very limited. So far the only scooter i have used is my dad's Vespa Select and friends Chetak 4S for riding upto tuitions and learning purpose. At heart I am a biker. I have owned a Discover 125, HH Hunk and Duke 200. Since my trip to Kerala in 2013 where we (with my wife) rented a scooter for riding around for 2 days i have been attracted to this all grown up class of scooters. I am saying grown up because this has come a long way from my limited experience with scooter. They can be actually fun at times.
As of today i have sold my Duke 200 and entirely dependent on Punto. What i am hating is pulling it out for every short trip to nearby grocery/market/nearest metro station.
What i am looking for is something that will be suitable for my 6ft height and lean body frame. Good braking is my top priority. Please suggest the comfortable travel range with these scooters. I plan to ride to office occasionaly(12kms one way). Thanks in advance

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 22nd July 2015 at 10:46.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:14   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Guys, I am contemplating on purchasing a scooter.

Little about me and my requirement:
My stint with scooters has been very limited. So far the only scooter i have used is my dad's Vespa Select and friends Chetak 4S for riding upto tuitions and learning purpose. At heart I am a biker. I have owned a Discover 125, HH Hunk and Duke 200. Since my trip to Kerala in 2013 where we (with my wife) rented a scooter for riding around for 2 days i have been attracted to this all grown up class of scooters. I am saying grown up because this has come a long way from my limited experience with scooter. They can be actually fun at times.
As of today i have sold my Duke 200 and entirely dependent on Punto. What i am hating is pulling it out for every short trip to nearby grocery/market/nearest metro station.
What i am looking for is something that will be suitable for my 6ft height and lean body frame. Good braking is my top priority. Please suggest the comfortable travel range with these scooters. I plan to ride to office occasionaly(12kms one way). Thanks in advance
From one lean 6-footer-biker at heart-current activa owner, I would suggest you to try out the new Activa 125 with disc brakes. This has telescopic forks up front and is slightly taller than the activa 110 (the one I'm using now). Being 125 cc, it has nice grunt too. You can also check out the Access but its braking is not upto the mark.

Regarding trip distance, I recently covered 90 kms within my city in a single day, without any complain. I have also done 180 kms on the highway in a day but usually feel tired (sore back) after about 50-60 kms. A 10-15 min break is enough for me to recover. Just for comparison on my biking skills, I used to cover 100-150 kms at a stretch before I needed any break and have done 700 kms in a day on more than one occassion.
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:23   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
From one lean 6-footer-biker at heart-current activa owner, I would suggest you to try out the new Activa 125 with disc brakes. This has telescopic forks up front and is slightly taller than the activa 110 (the one I'm using now). Being 125 cc, it has nice grunt too. You can also check out the Access but its braking is not upto the mark.

Regarding trip distance, I recently covered 90 kms within my city in a single day, without any complain. I have also done 180 kms on the highway in a day but usually feel tired (sore back) after about 50-60 kms. A 10-15 min break is enough for me to recover. Just for comparison on my biking skills, I used to cover 100-150 kms at a stretch before I needed any break and have done 700 kms in a day on more than one occassion.
ashis89 big thanks for the suggestions. My biking endurance has been on similar lines so this gives me a clear picture of trip distance. I will try to check Activa 125, only spoiler being its price climbing across 65k mark.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 22nd July 2015 at 13:29.
Closed Thread