Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 22nd July 2015, 13:34   #3421
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
ashis89 big thanks for the suggestions. My biking endurance has been on similar lines so this gives me a clear picture of trip distance. I will try to check Activa 125, only spoiler being its price climbing across 60k mark.
My pleasure.
I am moving to a new city next month and am looking a buying a scooter for occasional use. Though I have decided on the 125, price is the only dilemma I have regarding it. You can look at the 125 standard version without disc brakes which is 7k cheaper (~62 on-road) or the Aviator (which also has telescopic forks) with disc at ~62 OTR. Personally, I don't find the Aviator so very durable, due to the use of lots of fibre panels which are prone to rattles. I will take a call in couple of months once I find out the intended use for my scooter.
Do update your final decision.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:29   #3422
BHPian

Default The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Guys, I am contemplating on purchasing a scooter.

Little about me and my requirement:
My stint with scooters has been very limited. So far the only scooter i have used is my dad's Vespa Select and friends Chetak 4S for riding upto tuitions and learning purpose. At heart I am a biker. I have owned a Discover 125, HH Hunk and Duke 200. Since my trip to Kerala in 2013 where we (with my wife) rented a scooter for riding around for 2 days i have been attracted to this all grown up class of scooters. I am saying grown up because this has come a long way from my limited experience with scooter. They can be actually fun at times.
As of today i have sold my Duke 200 and entirely dependent on Punto. What i am hating is pulling it out for every short trip to nearby grocery/market/nearest metro station.
What i am looking for is something that will be suitable for my 6ft height and lean body frame. Good braking is my top priority. Please suggest the comfortable travel range with these scooters. I plan to ride to office occasionaly(12kms one way). Thanks in advance

Hi. For your height vespa would be great as it has the best height..also your lean figure would go with it (Specially vespa s)...if you are ready to pay a premium, you can blindly go for Vespa S..it would complete your Italian family as well.

I also own a Vespa S and Punto 90 hp. Out of 5 days a week, one day I go to office on my Vespa. And my office is 20 kms one way in Pune.

Last edited by Waspune : 22nd July 2015 at 14:31.
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:10   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am contemplating on purchasing a scooter.

Little about me and my requirement:

What i am looking for is something that will be suitable for my 6ft height and lean body frame. Good braking is my top priority. Please suggest the comfortable travel range with these scooters. I plan to ride to office occasionaly(12kms one way). Thanks in advance
Do try out the Suzuki swish 125. Ive been using it for 2yrs now 23k kms and with regular service no problems at all.

First thing after getting a scooter, do increase the seat height or else your back will go sore in a matter of days.

They dont make seats according to our height. Hence after buying a scooter you have to cut open the seat and add on a 1-2" foam in between to increase the height. This will make it a lot more comfortable for the 6 footers.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:57   #3424
Senior - BHPian

My Access consistently gives me mileage of 45-53 kmpl.
My neighbour's Activa 110 HET is also with us for last few months. The mileage is a dismal 40 kmpl. Both are used in city with similar load and traffic conditions.
Isn't Activa supposed to give at least 50 kmpl?

I know the scooter is due for servicing, but still 40 is horribly low.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:33   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My Access consistently gives me mileage of 45-53 kmpl.
My neighbour's Activa 110 HET is also with us for last few months. The mileage is a dismal 40 kmpl. Both are used in city with similar load and traffic conditions.
Isn't Activa supposed to give at least 50 kmpl?

I know the scooter is due for servicing, but still 40 is horribly low.
If this is some comfort, my Activa 110 (non-HET) returns 33-35 kmpl in the city. This is with a heavy throttle of course (but my Pulsar 180 used to return 40-42 under similar riding). With a light hand and very sedate riding in the city, it used to run for 42-45 kmpl. I have seen 50+ only during the initial run-in period. And mind you, this scooter has run all of 5.8k kms in 3.5 years.

Do check if it is running rich and also change the air filter (it can't be cleaned) and check for improvement.

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th July 2015 at 13:35.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:34   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Do try out the Suzuki swish 125. Ive been using it for 2yrs now 23k kms and with regular service no problems at all.

First thing after getting a scooter, do increase the seat height or else your back will go sore in a matter of days.

They dont make seats according to our height. Hence after buying a scooter you have to cut open the seat and add on a 1-2" foam in between to increase the height. This will make it a lot more comfortable for the 6 footers.
Thanks danlalan. That is a very good point with respect to seat height and i will keep that in mind.
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:38   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

After my Wife's Black Vespa S125, my Sister's White Vespa Vx125 came home over the weekend. More on that in the below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3768101 (Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive)

One thing that I have also written in the link above but wanted to ask people here too.
I wanted a half face solid White helmet matching to this scooter.
I searched for it in many shops on JC road in Bangalore but everyone said that apart from black they don't have any other colour.

I searched for it on-line and found one each on the websites of Studds (900Rs) Snapdeal (Brand called as THH, 4100Rs) and LS2 (no price mentioned) and a couple more on flipkart
1. http://www.studds.com/studds/Product...ack&itemID=356
2. http://ls2helmets.com/midway/graphics#SOLID-White
3. http://www.snapdeal.com/product/thh-...mbLabelId:2354
4. http://www.flipkart.com/vega-jet-mot...9984&srno=b_10
5. http://www.flipkart.com/brndey-fusio...71881&srno=b_6

I'm somehow wary about buying an helmet on-line because of the size and more importantly the comfort.

Currently one of my neighbours' spare helmet is being used but that is too old and is not in a good condition.
Is there anywhere that I can get hold of one of these to try it on?
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd August 2015 at 13:45.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:00   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
After my Wife's Black Vespa S125, my Sister's White Vespa Vx125 came home over the weekend. More on that in the below link.
Currently one of my neighbours' spare helmet is being used but that is too old and is not in a good condition.
Couple of stores near Marathalli bridge had decent stock of helmets/colors about 2 years ago. These are located on the left when you climb onto the bridge while coming from Belandur direction. They might be worth a try if you are located near by.

PS: I used to live in that area until I left Bangalore permanently 2 years ago.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:35   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
If only the color unavailability is the problem, you can try on the different coloured helmet in shops and order the white one online. Usually in helmets with different color scheme (but same model) except the design, everything is same.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:43   #3430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If only the color unavailability is the problem, you can try on the different coloured helmet in shops and order the white one online. Usually in helmets with different color scheme (but same model) except the design, everything is same.
Yes, We will do that next weekend.
Last weekend, the problem was I didn't know that white one is tough to get.
Now I have to take these specific model numbers and try to find them in any black.

But, if I don't get these models in black, then I am thinking of buying an helmet in black and then get it painted

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd August 2015 at 14:44.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:20   #3431
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, We will do that next weekend.
Last weekend, the problem was I didn't know that white one is tough to get.
Now I have to take these specific model numbers and try to find them in any black.

But, if I don't get these models in black, then I am thinking of buying an helmet in black and then get it painted
I recently bought a White Honda Aviator scooter and along with it also bought a White helmet with Honda branding and manufactured by Studds (I think!), very comfortable and nice. I can post a picture and possibly the model # also this evening if you're not in a tearing hurry.
In the worst case, if not available with helmet dealers and you don't mind the Honda sticker in the front, you can even buy it from one of the Honda 2 wheeler dealers, it costs around Rs.1000 if I remember correctly.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 09:38   #3432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I recently bought a White Honda Aviator scooter and along with it also bought a White helmet with Honda branding and manufactured by Studds (I think!), very comfortable and nice. I can post a picture and possibly the model # also this evening if you're not in a tearing hurry.
In the worst case, if not available with helmet dealers and you don't mind the Honda sticker in the front, you can even buy it from one of the Honda 2 wheeler dealers, it costs around Rs.1000 if I remember correctly.
Now That we have a temporary helmet, there's no hurry. Please post the picture. I only want a Half face good looking White helmet.
If the helmet is ok, then removing, replacing or covering the branding should not be a big issue.
Old 4th August 2015, 19:03   #3433
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now That we have a temporary helmet, there's no hurry. Please post the picture. I only want a Half face good looking White helmet.
Here are some pictures of the helmet. Mobile Pic quality is poor & due to that it looks bit dull but it's a bright white helmet.

Front
Name:  H1.png
Views: 1334
Size:  501.9 KB

Front with Visor
Name:  H2 with front Visor.png
Views: 1351
Size:  494.3 KB

Side
Name:  H3 Side.png
Views: 1333
Size:  577.7 KB

Side
Name:  H4 Side.png
Views: 1376
Size:  519.7 KB

It's a STUDDS manufactured helmet - the tag inside says "14/L-1530463" and behind it says SIZE:580mm. This cost me around Rs.980 if I remember correctly.
This helmet fits in the under seat storage of the Active and Aviator scooters.

Last edited by NPV : 4th August 2015 at 19:05.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 22:40   #3434
BANNED

Any suggestions for a good mechanic who can do a regular servicing of a 4 year old access near Marathalli? the company ones are not very competent.
Old 11th August 2015, 11:07   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Any suggestions for a good mechanic who can do a regular servicing of a 4 year old access near Marathalli? the company ones are not very competent.
There is a Castrol Bike Point beside the railway crossing inside Munnekolala (lane beside Staples). The owner is very competent and friendly. He took care of my Pulsar 150 and then my 180, over a 2 year period. I introduced him to a few of my friends and my cousin. All in all, 10 BIKE owners and all were happy. Now for the Access, I have seen people bring in their Swish, Activa, Pep and the like; and finally go back happy too. You can try him out for once.

PS: My experience, he never over charged for spares and went in for repairing parts even when I gave the option to replace.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread