Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 10:35   #3451
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,639
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
How much does a wego generally cost to service? I dropped my friends wego which I am using currently to kubera tvs today and got an estimate of Rs 2300! Which is at par with b segment cars. Vehicle is about 4 years old but only run 6200 km.

This is the estimate as I can remember.
Battery charging 100
Brake shoe. 400 both.
Clutch greasing 300
Tappet. 100
Service 35
Oil 400 change
Consumables 100 odd
Secondary filter clean 85.

What I see are labor charges for almost everything. What does the service charge cover? Only washing and oil change labor??

If all the components are working fine then there is no reason why they should replace all these? Did you ask them why they are changing all these?Generally my wego service wont cost be more than 600 Rupees for regular service
sagarpadaki is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 10:54   #3452
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If all the components are working fine then there is no reason why they should replace all these? Did you ask them why they are changing all these?Generally my wego service wont cost be more than 600 Rupees for regular service
Not too sure on that. The battery is down, so that needs some attention. The rear brake is weak too. I am not well versed with the gearless scooters and their maintenance; hence raised the query.

I am not too sure on the clutch part. I asked him why the clutch needs attention at 6k Kms - to which he said that will be checked. On why the service costs as much as a car, he is like - small vehicle sir, wear and tear is more!!
glenmz is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 11:03   #3453
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,123
Thanked: 3,827 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
How much does a wego generally cost to service? I dropped my friends wego which I am using currently to kubera tvs today and got an estimate of Rs 2300! Which is at par with b segment cars. Vehicle is about 4 years old but only run 6200 km.
Rs 2300/- for a regular servicing seems to be a daylight robbery

Quote:
This is the estimate as I can remember.
Battery charging 100
Brake shoe. 400 both.
Clutch greasing 300
Tappet. 100
Service 35
Oil 400 change
Consumables 100 odd
Secondary filter clean 85.

What I see are labor charges for almost everything. What does the service charge cover? Only washing and oil change labor??
Are you sure you have covered everything above. I am saying this because the total is coming out to Rs 1520/- only against the Rs 2300/- mentioned by you earlier. I was exactly in the same dilemma for my father's Wego, which has barely run 2.5K kms in the last three years. Knowing that the authorized service centre will be a rip off we went to our friendly neighborhood garage, dropped the scoot in the morning and got it back by evening. Total charges Rs 1100/- and completely satisfied with the work done.

Name:  Wego 2.5K kms service.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  46.2 KB
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 11:12   #3454
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Rs 2300/- for a regular servicing seems to be a daylight robbery

Are you sure you have covered everything above. I am saying this because the total is coming out to Rs 1520/- only against the Rs 2300/- mentioned by you earlier. I was exactly in the same dilemma for my father's Wego, which has barely run 2.5K kms in the last three years. Knowing that the authorized service centre will be a rip off we went to our friendly neighborhood garage, dropped the scoot in the morning and got it back by evening. Total charges Rs 1100/- and completely satisfied with the work done.

Attachment 1404925
They havent given me a copy of the estimate; this is most of what I could remember; sorry. There is also a wheel alignment charge of Rs 150!
And yes, gear oil change, etc.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 11:19   #3455
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,123
Thanked: 3,827 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
They havent given me a copy of the estimate; this is most of what I could remember; sorry. There is also a wheel alignment charge of Rs 150!
And yes, gear oil change, etc.
I have never ever heard any wheel alignment being done for a two wheeler. If the scooter rides straight when the handlebar is pointing straight then what is the need for wheel alignment? Don't accept the charges if they haven't given you the copy of job card and the estimate. This is the least expected from any authorized service centre.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 15:13   #3456
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 900
Thanked: 3,669 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I have never ever heard any wheel alignment being done for a two wheeler. If the scooter rides straight when the handlebar is pointing straight then what is the need for wheel alignment? Don't accept the charges if they haven't given you the copy of job card and the estimate. This is the least expected from any authorized service centre.
My Vespa's rim was a bit bent due to some pothole, so during last service they rectified that and did wheel balancing as well.

The cost presented is definitely on the higher side. Ask them for the old parts that were replaced. In case of oil ask them to show you the MRP (on the barrel/bottle) and the quantity they put it.
blackwasp is online now  
Old 18th August 2015, 16:11   #3457
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Which gearless scooter would the forum recommend at the lowest prices?
I am not looking at any fancy "features" just plain basic transport people + goods from point A to point B. Should have very low electric start issues down the line (something that I used to get fed up with in a Kinetic).

Perhaps it should not be as under powered as a Sunny.
alpha1 is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 16:47   #3458
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,264
Thanked: 1,486 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Which gearless scooter would the forum recommend at the lowest prices?
I am not looking at any fancy "features" just plain basic transport people + goods from point A to point B. Should have very low electric start issues down the line (something that I used to get fed up with in a Kinetic).

Perhaps it should not be as under powered as a Sunny.
No idea about the long term reliability of electric start per se, but your choices in this segment will be:

Activa i - basically the old Activa in a different body style. Honda quality is now OK-OK (used to be class leading), but the sheer volume of these vehicles on the road will guarantee spares and mechanic availability
Scooty Zest 110 - The dark horse, and might just be the best choice. Long term reliability is a hit-or-miss
Suzuki Lets - I have no idea how good/bad this scooter is
Hero Maestro - basically the old-old Activa with Hero badge and fancy graphics. Hero motocorp cost cutting might have hit quality though
Mahindra Gusto - The left field choice with some fancy features. Long term reliability of this brand is not too good in my experience

All these scooters should be around 50-55K on road Pune.

For what purpose are you looking to use a basic scooter? Just a runabout for errands?
KiloAlpha is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 18:47   #3459
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
No idea about the long term reliability of electric start per se, but your choices in this segment will be:

Activa i - basically the old Activa in a different body style. Honda quality is now OK-OK (used to be class leading), but the sheer volume of these vehicles on the road will guarantee spares and mechanic availability
Scooty Zest 110 - The dark horse, and might just be the best choice. Long term reliability is a hit-or-miss
Suzuki Lets - I have no idea how good/bad this scooter is
Hero Maestro - basically the old-old Activa with Hero badge and fancy graphics. Hero motocorp cost cutting might have hit quality though
Mahindra Gusto - The left field choice with some fancy features. Long term reliability of this brand is not too good in my experience

All these scooters should be around 50-55K on road Pune.

For what purpose are you looking to use a basic scooter? Just a runabout for errands?
Goodness! Nothing below that price range?
The scooter will be used for errands lasting no more than 5 kilometers.
Perhaps 10 km sometimes.
alpha1 is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 19:35   #3460
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

So I have the bill with me now and I feel royally fleeced

Initial bill was 2500 change. That had a welding charges added; because the front mudguard was touching the body. When I checked the vehicle, I found out that the mudguard was still touching the body. He had the charge removed. So the final bill was Rs 2344. I told him that this was the only item I caught since thats visible; how can I be sure of the others thats mentioned in the bill.

Here, Gearbox overhaul, clutch overhaul etc are listed. Do not know why a vehicle run just 6k needs this. Questioned him as to why the vehicle needs this, Is your product that unreliable. He had no answer. So told him I will take it up with TVS, paid the bill and got out.

Here is the bill.
The Gearless Scooter Thread-wego.jpg

This is the email I sent to TVS regarding this asking for clarification. No response till now.
Quote:
Hi,
Just dropped a Wego for service at your HSR layout service center, Bangalore. The vehicle has done a total of 6200 odd KMs. The previous service was at 4000 km odd.

Now the shocker. The Service estimate is given at Rs 2300. Which is as much was my Wagon R used to cost; that too at 10000 KM. How do you justify this?

The various parts of the estimate are as follows

Battery Charging - 100 - Battery is weak, hence understandable.
Brake shoes - Rs 400. Understandable as its weak.
Alignment - Rs 150 - Isnt this covered in general service cost.
Clutch lining greasing - Rs 300 - is this a scam?
Oil - Rs 480 odd.
Labor charges - Rs 350.
Secondary filter cleanig - Rs 85 odd. - Again, shouldnt this be part of service charge
Tappet - Rs 100 - And again, shoundt this be part of regular service?

Thanks,
Glen
Battery charging was not charged for as the battery was dead.
glenmz is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 20:27   #3461
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,264
Thanked: 1,486 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Goodness! Nothing below that price range?
The scooter will be used for errands lasting no more than 5 kilometers.
Perhaps 10 km sometimes.
If you want even cheaper, then you are looking at the lower-powered versions of the TVS Scooty - Streak/Pep+. These are slightly cheaper, maybe by 5K or so when compared to Zest 110. And they have half the power.

Alternatively, if you can stomach it, just buy the TVS XL Super? 35K-ish on road. Torque monster, abuse-friendly. If you are seen riding one on road, be prepared to lose a few friends

Another alternative is to buy a used scooter.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 18th August 2015 at 20:28. Reason: Grammar
KiloAlpha is offline  
Old 18th August 2015, 21:38   #3462
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 900
Thanked: 3,669 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
So I have the bill with me now and I feel royally fleeced

Here, Gearbox overhaul, clutch overhaul etc are listed. Do not know why a vehicle run just 6k needs this. Questioned him as to why the vehicle needs this, Is your product that unreliable. He had no answer. So told him I will take it up with TVS, paid the bill and got out.

Here is the bill.
Please don't back down. They have completely ripped you off ! Gearbox overhaul? Clutch overhaul? It is completely unneeded for just 6k driven vehicle. The 3M oil is also an excess IMO. Tappet adjustment should be included in the servicing charges. Oil top up also seems a bit fishy.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 23:20   #3463
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Please don't back down. They have completely ripped you off ! Gearbox overhaul? Clutch overhaul? It is completely unneeded for just 6k driven vehicle. The 3M oil is also an excess IMO. Tappet adjustment should be included in the servicing charges. Oil top up also seems a bit fishy.
Yes, noticed the oil top up after I reached home. What oil, honestly I do not know. Engine oil was replaced, 3m oil I was told is the gearbox oil. So what's left?
glenmz is offline  
Old 19th August 2015, 00:03   #3464
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,311
Thanked: 5,274 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Yes, noticed the oil top up after I reached home. What oil, honestly I do not know. Engine oil was replaced, 3m oil I was told is the gearbox oil. So what's left?

3M should be oil additive. Another useless and yet expensive add on that you have been fleeced with. I thought only car manufacturers did such tricks and now this service center has taken some lessons from them. Oil topup is ridiculous when you have already been charged for changing oil entirely.

Honestly, they have inflated the regular bill by at least 100%, taking into consideration the brakes really needed a change. If not, its even worse. Basically over the last three years of owning my dio, service costs have never exceeded 450 or so excluding oil, since I use fully synthetic oil at 700-750 a litre. If not, the service costs should be around 650-700 everytime on an average including replacement of wear and tear parts.

Stuff like secondary filter cleaning, clutch greasing, tappet adjustment and so on are covered under paid service charges. Since you say battery was weak, I am excluding it. Usually I pay 300 for service labour, 80 for consumables(which I am again letting go)which comes to around 400-420 including taxes. Out of all the services done so far, I have changed the spark plug and both primary and secondary air filter elements once proactively, which together has cost around 500 IIRC till now.

In fact, once my dio got its handlebar aligned properly for no extra cost after it had been misaligned due to a small hit. These guys charged 150 from you.

Kubera motors is a meaningful name - Guess the owner should now be as rich as Kubera who is regarded to be a wealthy person

Last edited by audioholic : 19th August 2015 at 00:07.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 07:33   #3465
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,895
Thanked: 4,871 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
So I have the bill with me now and I feel royally fleeced

This is the email I sent to TVS regarding this asking for clarification. No response till now.
Absurd, clutch overhaul at 6K km, rip off - please do not let this pass, do follow up with TVS and have them admit the service centre's fraud in this case.
On a lighter note, seems like they've done some kind of "hallmarking" that's usually done with gold hence the high priced service! (CLUTCH OVERHALLING!)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks