Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2015, 19:22   #3496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Front ones are good as new. SO I was wondering if I should start rotating tyres from now on once I replace the tyres. Else the front tyres will not at all wear out and simply sit there, needing to be forcibly replaced by me.

I guess I will stick with the Zappers as long as I cant find any other better tyre. I am not worried about life of the tyres but all I need is good grip and a soft compound. Now that my dio isnt used regularly since I started work, I need to find a way to keep it in long term storage for the whole week. Cant stand the sight of it gathering dust.
I assume CEAT and TVS tyre would be a harder compound than Zappers, and would last much longer but would be a compromise on comfort. Go for MRF again! Please post some pictures of the tread pattern of whichever tyre you get.

Rotating the tyres is a good idea. You can get one tyre now (put it at rear) and use it for 5k odd kms, till both the front and rear tyre have similar life left. Then rotate the tyres at every 3-4k km or so, since you aren't using the scooter much.
Old 17th September 2015, 14:13   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
I have TVS tyres in my Activa and can vouch for their grip levels in both wet and dry. He is considering TVS, MRF, CEAT and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The rear tyre of my dio is asking for a replacement with just 12k done till now. Guess these MRF zappers are too soft compared to the competition. The tread is nearing the TWI and the tyre isn't bald compared to some examples I have seen. Will replace them soon.
Avoid TVS tyres like the plague. Don't get it even if offered for FREE. They are that bad. I have TVS tyres on my Dio both front and rear(factory fit). The rear tyre got torn along the crevice in the tread pattern with just 12 k on the odo. There was at least 50 % of tread remaining, if not more, when this happened. Moreover the slightest hint or sand/gravel will lead to skidding if you touch your brake while the tyre is over any of these. Replaced the rear tyre with MRF Zapper. 7000 kms done on the MRF. No issues so far. Now guess what, the front tyre skids all over the place on hard braking while the rear tyre holds it line. I'd recommend MRF and Ceat in that order as far as two wheeler tyres are concerned. Don't bother getting any other brand. Of course this does not include, Michelin, Metzeler etc which are on a different level altogether.
Old 17th September 2015, 23:10   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Avoid TVS tyres like the plague. Don't get it even if offered for FREE. They are that bad. I have TVS tyres on my Dio both front and rear(factory fit). The rear tyre got torn along the crevice in the tread pattern with just 12 k on the odo. There was at least 50 % of tread remaining, if not more, when this happened. Moreover the slightest hint or sand/gravel will lead to skidding if you touch your brake while the tyre is over any of these. Replaced the rear tyre with MRF Zapper. 7000 kms done on the MRF. No issues so far.
My experience so far has been good. Grip levels are at not at par with softer MRF Nylogrip but it is not that bad. Plus they last really long, much longer than MRF Zapper. Even though they are harder compound tyres, I have never experienced serious skidding (unless the situation is unavoidable - front brake use only/too bad a road surface) in 29k kms on my Activa. I replaced the stock rear one at 22k km (again with TVS) and the front one was replaced at 26k km mark (with TVS again). I felt them grippy in wet conditions, but our interpretations and standards of good grip might vary. Maybe my riding style is a bit sedate but still, TVS is not that bad if offered for FREE!

Last edited by vin11 : 17th September 2015 at 23:16.
Old 21st September 2015, 00:20   #3499
BHPian

Default Need help - Honda service centres - Sarjapura Road, Bangalore

My Honda Aviator 2008 model has run about 40K kms. I believe the suspension parts and/or shock absorbers need servicing/replacement.

So far servicing has been either at Haiku Domlur or with an ex-Honda service guy Sanjay in Bhattarahalli, Old Madras Road (good guy, but far away).
Now I stay at Sarjapura Road, so need reference for good mechanic nearby. I dont hate local mechanics nor do I love the Honda service centres. (I am amonsgt those who believe that Honda guys just wash the vehicle in the first 30K odd kms, have a hard time trusting them)

Just want to ensure that the vehicle issues are corrected without cheating. (have a habit of walking out the moment I catch a lie related to "Saar, this also needs to be changed")
Old 21st September 2015, 13:30   #3500
Senior - BHPian

My wife has been using Activa HET (8K KMs on odo) and I have been using Access (21K KMs on the odo).
My driving style is sedate and her is not so much.
However, Activa is delivering a mileage of just under 40 consistently. I got oil and air filter changed, carburetor cleaned and gear oil changed. It has resulted in no improvement in mileage.
Access continues to deliver me between 50 and 45 kmpl.

I always believed Activa should give 60 kmpl mileage and that is why people were flocking to buy the scooter (they had waiting period of upto 3 months).
Old 21st September 2015, 14:11   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I always believed Activa should give 60 kmpl mileage and that is why people were flocking to buy the scooter (they had waiting period of upto 3 months).
True, but not just because of the 60 kmpl mileage. Activa was (if not now) the most sought after gearless scooter one could buy. It basically had no major problem because of which customers would avoid it and simply because of no competition, settled for the no-nonsense Activa.

Regarding mileage, I am getting a consistent 58 kmpl (tankful method) from my 29k km run Activa HET. Was the work done at Honda ASC? Did you get the work done in your presence? I would suggest you to be easy on the throttle and avoid braking and accelerating together (while some female riders do). Drive in the 30-50kmph range as much as possible and check the tyre pressures regularly. Since you've changed the oil and air filter, and still don't see any improvement I would advice you to try the above and then update. Three more things - Push back the choke after a cold start, warm up the engine for a few (say, 1 at least) minutes before starting off and avoid idling at traffic signals.

I don't see 'under 40kmpl mileage' to be a major problem since your running is not much. What say?
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:44   #3502

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
However, Activa is delivering a mileage of just under 40 consistently. I got oil and air filter changed, carburetor cleaned and gear oil changed. It has resulted in no improvement in mileage.
I have a 2010 model, and my scooter has the same mileage...although I am not a regular driver, but, I doubt this mileage will go up significantly even if one would regularly use the vehicle for long distances....
Old 25th September 2015, 17:36   #3503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
True, but not just because of the 60 kmpl mileage. Activa was (if not now) the most sought after gearless scooter one could buy. It basically had no major problem because of which customers would avoid it and simply because of no competition, settled for the no-nonsense Activa.

Regarding mileage, I am getting a consistent 58 kmpl (tankful method) from my 29k km run Activa HET. Was the work done at Honda ASC? Did you get the work done in your presence? I would suggest you to be easy on the throttle and avoid braking and accelerating together (while some female riders do). Drive in the 30-50kmph range as much as possible and check the tyre pressures regularly. Since you've changed the oil and air filter, and still don't see any improvement I would advice you to try the above and then update. Three more things - Push back the choke after a cold start, warm up the engine for a few (say, 1 at least) minutes before starting off and avoid idling at traffic signals.

I don't see 'under 40kmpl mileage' to be a major problem since your running is not much. What say?
Choke has never been needed to be used. If it does not start with button, then kick start (single kick) is enough.
Battery is weak (2.5 years).
I know driving style is also a significant factor. The fact that you are getting 58 kmpl, indicates that this scooter should at least get 50. So, I do see something is wrong.

The running is low (around 150-200 km per month).
Old 7th October 2015, 15:38   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

Posting my ownership experiences on a three year old Suzuki Access.

Month of regn.:Feb2012
Kms done :10400

Maintenance till date:

kms 2000 - replaced the speedo cable - Rs.90 for cable replaced by self

kms 3500 - changed oil to Castrol GTX 20W50 - Rs.285 oil plus 30 labour

kms 6900 - changed oil to Shell , cleaned carb(float chamber had approx. 10gms of foreign material) , cleaned air filter, cleaned plug - Rs.350 for oil plus 200 for labour

kms 10380 - changed oil to Mobil Super XHP 10W40 , cleaned carb(negligible foreign material) , cleaned plug , replaced oil filter, replaced air filter- 370 for oil plus 170 for parts plus 350 labour= Rs.890

The oil filter came sans case and O-rings ; some aftermarket racket I guess.

The air filter was a Bangalore auto co. made and looked well built.

All the above jobs were under my personal supervision at an aftermarket garage.

(I don't trust authorised service points after my experience with "Maruthi" Motors , West Mambalam, Chennai who charged me 1071 for my Scooty Pep and DID NOTHING under paid service).

Posting a pic of the old air filter
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-p_20151007_131618.jpg  

vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 20:01   #3505
BHPian

Default 07 Suzuki Access

Hi all,

I've been facing a problem with the an access for the last 2 weeks. I want to know if someone has faced this issue and found a fix for it.

The problem: Starting when the engine is cold. A week back the scooter started after engaging the self for 30-40 seconds continuously after bit if coughing. Now,The bike doesn't start with the self starter or the kick, even after engaging the self starter till the battery goes dead. However, after the battery goes almost dead( when the self starter just rolls the engine around) using the self and kick starting it together starts the bike after the engine coughing for couple of seconds. The bike doesn't start if the kick starter is used for half an hour w/o the self.
Once it is starts, re-starting it isn't a problem. It starts instantly with the self or the kick starter.

The A.S.S diagnosed to problem to be with the following:
1) Spark plug (replaced)
2) Airbox (Replaced - as the airbox cover wouldn't fit b/c threads on the left side were threads, due to which there was a leak)
3) Carburetor (cleaning/Service done)

Now then, problem still persists the the A.S.S diagnoses it as problem with the compression in the engine & also pointed to the use of 20W 40 oil instead of 10W 30 as the one of the reasons.
Since the scooter has done only ~8.5K kms since the engine was redone, and has been serviced regularly(if not service I get the engine and oil filter changed), I wonder how it could be an engine problem.

Mileage: about 8500 kms since the engine was re-done last year when there was engine bearing noise. Bore-piston kit, cylinder head (and all internals) & timing chain was changed(replaced to save time at the A.S.S).

Thanks

Last edited by gendarmee : 7th October 2015 at 20:03.
Old 8th October 2015, 07:31   #3506
Senior - BHPian

The theory of use of 20W40 instead of 10W30 is rubbish.

Since your engine has been rebuilt I cannot comment but prima facie,the problem seems to be an air-fuel mix related problem.

My suggestions:

Pull the choke and start using the kick starter first time in the morning.Do not twist accelerator .

The kick starter in the Acccess is horribly designed but one kick on the kick starter is equal to using the self starter for 4-5secs.That is my experience.

Even when starting using the self starter normally do not twist the accelerator more than say 1/4 of a turn.
Old 11th October 2015, 15:51   #3507
BHPian

Vespa service and sales is a joke right now in Mumbai.

All dealers have shut shop. There is not a single service center in Mumbai. Closest is thane, panvel and ullhasnagar.

The call center executives don't have a clue about the situation. They're telling me to go to the above three centres to get my scooter serviced.

They really have differentiated themselves from the rest.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:16   #3508
Senior - BHPian

How is Jupiter in terms of reliability? My first choice was Activa but the attitude of the sales staff put me off. Just next door was TVS, decided to give the Jupiter a look. It looks better than Activa to me in the grey body black wheels livery. Primary use will be running small errands within a 5KM radius. FE is not that big a deal as it will not be running much anyway.

The biggest boon of Jupiter I felt was the disc brakes (forgot to ask the variant - maybe ZX). Plus the fuel lid being outside. Won't have to empty the storage bin to refill.

I have absolutely zero experience with scooters, so looking for expert advice from you folks.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:44   #3509
Senior - BHPian

I Have read in today's news paper (The Hindu) which says that TVS is going to launch a new Wego model soon. Anyone have any information about this??
Old 15th October 2015, 11:40   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How is Jupiter in terms of reliability?

I have absolutely zero experience with scooters, so looking for expert advice from you folks.
Having owned a Wego and a Pep ,I can vouch for TVS quality.

The Jupiter is reliable but sales hasn't been anywhere as good as Activa.Spares are a tad more expensive than Activa.

You can make your choice after riding both.Seating comfort and brakes can be the drivers for your decision.

Last edited by vigsom : 15th October 2015 at 11:42.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread