Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2016, 10:41   #3586
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am looking for a scooter for our family, and one of the criteria is height and weight. It should be comfortable for a short person of around 5'2". Other than TVS Scooty pep+, what other options can be considered?
For short riders, you can also consider a Yamaha Ray, I am planning to pick up one for my wife while I ride a Jupiter and a Kinetic Honda !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 10:47   #3587
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am looking for a scooter for our family, and one of the criteria is height and weight. It should be comfortable for a short person of around 5'2". Other than TVS Scooty pep+, what other options can be considered?
Yamaha Ray is the best scooter available that is comfortable for short people.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 12:51   #3588
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 521
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Friends,
As the thought of ugrading my 10" tyres of Vijai Super to 12" came in, I made a quick comparison of the overall height and circumference of the 90/90-12 and 3.50-10 tyres.
The metric equivalent to 3.50 - 10 is 89/100-10. What I quickly realized is that the circumference of the 90/90-12" tyre is 110mm more than the 3.5-10 tyre, which corresponds to 17.5 mm increase in height.
17.5 mm is little less than 3/4 inch. So, does it really matter much in terms of increasing ground clearance and handling?
Increase of 17.5 mm in the ground clearance is not small; it is considerable. So, if GC is the primary reason for tyre upgrade, 12" tyres are not a problem.

For handling, this size change shall not cause any problem. You will be able to take small potholes little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am looking for a scooter for our family, and one of the criteria is height and weight. It should be comfortable for a short person of around 5'2". Other than TVS Scooty pep+, what other options can be considered?
Please consider Hero Pleasure.
We have purchased one 2 years back for the same reason. This scooter suits persons having 5'2" height. It is also very easy to handle. We have had good ownership experience. The build quality is good.

IMO, too small or tiny scooters won't look good on us, when we take them out. Hero Pleasure is not too small or tiny. And it is not too big.

Also, Hero Pleasure has a very good population on the roads. It would be very easy to get spares and service for this scooters for years to come.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 12:54   #3589
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,296
Thanked: 897 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Other than TVS Scooty pep+, what other options can be considered?
TVS Zest is also a good scooter, one size smaller than the Wego, but with the same engine.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 18:54   #3590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore/US
Posts: 121
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

Also, Hero Pleasure has a very good population on the roads. It would be very easy to get spares and service for this scooters for years to come.

Thanks. Does Hero Pleasure have the original Honda engine even now or is it now replaced by "Hero"'s own engine?

Previously, long time back, I had a very bad experience with Hero Puch when they replaced the engines with their own ones. Just wondering if Hero still uses Honda engines even after they split up with Honda
sanchari is offline  
Old 11th January 2016, 11:41   #3591
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am looking for a scooter for our family, and one of the criteria is height and weight. It should be comfortable for a short person of around 5'2". Other than TVS Scooty pep+, what other options can be considered?
You can also consider the Suzuki Lets, it is also a small scooter !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:43   #3592
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Wifey wants a scooter, but one which doesnt look like everything else on the road, to the untrained eye. Which is pretty much everything. I dont really want to think about it much and want to head straight to the Honda showroom to buy an Activa , but are there any such scooters which look sleek yet are very practical (can take full size helmet) and reliable.
Scooters already ruled out :
- Honda Dio
- All Vespas.

How good is the Yamaha Fascino ? Can it hold a full sized helmet ?

PS : I am still inclined towards the Activa.
sajo is offline  
Old 20th January 2016, 12:34   #3593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

PS : I am still inclined towards the Activa.
Did you try the TVS stable? Jupiter seems competent. Can store a full size helmet easily.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 13:26   #3594
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Fascino has got 21 litre capacity whereas Jupiter has only 17 Litres (as per Website information). So Fascino seems better option for you.!!
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 14:37   #3595
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 3,140 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Wifey wants a scooter, but one which doesnt look like everything else on the road, to the untrained eye. Which is pretty much everything. I dont really want to think about it much and want to head straight to the Honda showroom to buy an Activa , but are there any such scooters which look sleek yet are very practical (can take full size helmet) and reliable.
Scooters already ruled out :
- Honda Dio
- All Vespas.

How good is the Yamaha Fascino ? Can it hold a full sized helmet ?

PS : I am still inclined towards the Activa.
Activa is nice, but really speaking there are much better options available for your money that are equally reliable atleast from the Japanese manufacturers. My all time favorite and recommendation to everyone is the Yamaha Ray Nothing special in terms of features, but ride it properly once, and you will see that it is the most dynamically gifted and easy to ride of the lot. Light weight, comfortable yet narrow, agile and perfect balance means you can confidently tip this thing into corners making it the only scooter to plant a smile on my face. I frankly could not believe that a CVT driven 100cc scooter on tiny little wheels was giving me so much fun. It is the most ergonomically sound and dynamically accomplished package out there. Comfy, smooth and cheap as well which makes it a no-brainer IMO for anyone who has actually bothered testing all these things out

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th January 2016 at 14:39.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 14:44   #3596
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

How good is the Yamaha Fascino ? Can it hold a full sized helmet ?

PS : I am still inclined towards the Activa.
depending on how far the nearest service center is, give the Suzuki stable a visit. they have some nice & competent scooters. I have a Access and apart from the difficulty in servicing it, have had a very hassle free experience.
dass is offline  
Old 20th January 2016, 14:45   #3597
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 493 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

If you don't buy the Activa, be prepared for one question that everybody is going to ask you - 'Why did you not buy the Activa?'

That's how it is at the moment

Its very difficult picking a scooter for the fairer sex, the Vespa would be the best one, but that is already ruled out. The TVS Scooty 110 is also very accomplished. The Fascino is a beauty, problem is if she buys it in a girly shade then you would have 'problems' riding it on your own

Also, if you are not in too much of a hurry, wait till the Auto-Expo. There might be some nice Scooters launched at the Expo
TheARUN is offline  
Old 20th January 2016, 15:50   #3598
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Did you try the TVS stable? Jupiter seems competent. Can store a full size helmet easily.
Not tried the Jupiter (yet). Missus thinks its kinda boring. But a test ride shouldnt do much harm anyway, so will check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Fascino has got 21 litre capacity whereas Jupiter has only 17 Litres (as per Website information). So Fascino seems better option for you.!!
Oh Cool, thanks! There is a new Yamaha showroom a stones throw from where I live, might give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
My all time favorite and recommendation to everyone is the Yamaha Ray Nothing special in terms of features, but ride it properly once, and you will see that it is the most dynamically gifted and easy to ride of the lot.
Cool, hows the ride comfort of the Ray on medium bad roads ? Is it comfortable being ridden two up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
depending on how far the nearest service center is, give the Suzuki stable a visit. they have some nice & competent scooters. I have a Access and apart from the difficulty in servicing it, have had a very hassle free experience.
There was a Suzuki showroom in the vicinity of where I live, but it seems to have shut shop. Not very confidence inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If you don't buy the Activa, be prepared for one question that everybody is going to ask you - 'Why did you not buy the Activa?'
I know! Everybody and their aunts use only the Activa, and hence me not being very inclined to experiment, thought of this too! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Its very difficult picking a scooter for the fairer sex, the Vespa would be the best one, but that is already ruled out.
Tell me about it! When she said she wanted something which "doesnt look like a scooter" , I offered to buy TVS XL Super. Had to do with office canteen food that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The Fascino is a beauty, problem is if she buys it in a girly shade then you would have 'problems' riding it on your own
To be honest, I have no problems riding something which is perceived as bright and girly. But that's just me. Doesn't really matter to me as long as its reliable, low maintenance, fill-it shut-it forget-it kinds.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 16:05   #3599
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 3,140 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Cool, hows the ride comfort of the Ray on medium bad roads ? Is it comfortable being ridden two up ?
Telescopic suspension means that ride quality is well sorted If your wife is looking at something fancy then obviously Fascino or Vespa may be the way to go but if you are looking at the perfect no-nonsense scooter, the Ray steals the crown for not only being cheap, easy to use and comfy but also having that added advantage of brilliant handling

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th January 2016 at 16:06.
IshaanIan is online now  
Old 25th January 2016, 15:35   #3600
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 52
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Wifey wants a scooter, but one which doesnt look like everything else on the road, to the untrained eye. Which is pretty much everything. I dont really want to think about it much and want to head straight to the Honda showroom to buy an Activa , but are there any such scooters which look sleek yet are very practical (can take full size helmet) and reliable.
Scooters already ruled out :
- Honda Dio
- All Vespas.

How good is the Yamaha Fascino ? Can it hold a full sized helmet ?

PS : I am still inclined towards the Activa.
Why not look at the Hero Duet?
kumarshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks